Why I shouldn't get a reid?

blkmcs

Re: Why I shouldn't get a reid?

Postby blkmcs » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:00 pm

CommuRider wrote:Why is it that noobies always post their reviews of Reid on this thread and are never heard of again or participate in other threads?
I suspect it is because of reactions like this.
I've just read this thread for the first time and I'm not in the least surprised that new posters don't hang around.
Too old to live, too slow to die.

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:30 pm

CommuRider wrote: It would help the brand if they did because this thread and the other Reid thread has been under a cloud since their inception. Also unusual that most noobs post short responses and not looooong reviews until later. They feel confident enough to post their Reid reviews but not post in other threads?
Hmm ... not bad logic, CR, along with your observation about disappearing soon after.

There's certainly value for a business putting an ad in a forum like this disguised as a post.

If you google 'Reid bikes', the first two results after the company site are to these very threads.

Some of the other results are interesting too:

http://www.sydneycyclist.com/forum/topics/reid-bikes
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1633997

Looks difficult to prove, though. :)

Gregg

Postby Gregg » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:59 pm

I have only just got back into riding - primarily for transport to and form work.

As such I was looking for a low cost bike to get back into it.
I am just responding to this post as I checked out BNA forum when doing a bit of research for a bike.

In saying all this I decided to go with a Reid Osprey (via the internet as I do not live in Sydney or Melbourne) and I thought I would let others know my less than positive experience so far.

The bike arrived fine and was assembled easily - basically attaching the front wheel and 4 allen key bolts for the handle bars.

Anyway took the bike out for a brief test ride and the first down hill section I encountered, where I built up some speed, the back wheel started shaking violently and within a couple seconds the rear tube had blown (after later inspection it appeared to have been pinched between the tyre and rim). I had ridden a total of about 400m.

I thought no problem I'll just replace the tube, but after doing so I noticed the wheel was untrue. I understand that the Reid cycle were cheap and component etc would wear faster etc and I was prepared for this, but I wasn't prepared for the bike essentially unridable or not fit for purpose.

I figured that truing the wheel wouldn't be a big issue to fix if I took it to a bike shop, but at this point I contacted Reid cycles via email, primarily just to see how they would respond and also to see if they might care about their customer - esspecially as Reid cycles seems to state on their website and other forums responses that their customer service is great.

I must say I was very disappointed with their response. They essentially stated that their bikes were assembled properly and that I must have done something to the bike (even though the rear wheel comes completely assembled)(so denied any possibly that the could have been the result of an oversight on their part etc). They also mentioned that I may void the warranty. However after the response they have given I hold very little faith that they would actually honour any of their warranties and if I was to get them to honour it, I would have to push the issue though the Office of fair trading etc.

So the cheap bike I had purchased has become less cheap and a fair hassle, and instead of having the enjoyment of riding a new bike, I now have a bad taste in my mouth. (Anywayit's about a month later now and I've got the rear wheel trued now and hopefully I will have no further immediate issues with the bike).

lethal

Postby lethal » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:34 pm

Howdy all, I have just picked up a reid Aquila today. It is a very neat looking bike and I have found on my first 20k ride today that the bike has performed expertly well. it has plenty of speed and power. At the moment I couldn't knock it. I will post again in a week or so when I will have completed around 160KMS on the bike.

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:29 am

Good to hear from you, Lethal. I'm sure you've posted to join a community rather than promote a bike brand, so I'm looking forward to all your future posts. There's a Member Profiles thread where you can introduce yourself and we can get to know you!

PS Of course, apologies if you're not a sales manager desperate to lift his product's profile! :smile:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:19 pm

i saw a reid SS chained up last night. not high end of course, but quite a sleek looking machine. i think they've done a decent job with the aesthetics, at least.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:09 pm

clackers wrote:Good to hear from you, Lethal. I'm sure you've posted to join a community rather than promote a bike brand, so I'm looking forward to all your future posts. There's a Member Profiles thread where you can introduce yourself and we can get to know you!

PS Of course, apologies if you're not a sales manager desperate to lift his product's profile! :smile:
:lol:
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:11 pm

lethal wrote:it has plenty of.. power.
i think you're after a motorbike forum? :|

newbikeorupgrade

Postby newbikeorupgrade » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:23 pm

My experience so far has been crap...

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:33 am

@newbikeorupgrade would you care to elaborate? Actually out of genuine interest so we get the pros and cons.

--

James Reid has confirmed that he is not involved in the 1 time posters. I still can't get my head around it and some research shows very unusual behaviour - though there I go, getting sucked into controversy and I should know better... so back on topic.
Cycling is in my BNA

newbikeorupgrade

Postby newbikeorupgrade » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:07 am

PROS: cheap
CONS: -bike became UN-rideable after 3km
Had to visit the shop 3 times to get the bike.
4 times to get it working (not fun)
My drivers license went gaga between testing and home.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:20 am

More about Reid Bicycles in the Victoria Forum HERE in including a rather well written review.

From reading some of the criticism in regard to the Reid Bicycles on that string, it would appear however that Mr. Reid would do well to procure better wheels and tyres for his bikes.

lethal

Postby lethal » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:25 pm

All, Yesterday I completed a 22k ride on my reid aquilla. Not that I'm promoting a bike, but I just want to get my opinion forward. Again I have had no issues as yet. I was at 1 stage travelling at aroung 68KPH (Going down hill of course) and the bike was silky smooth, all gear changes are so far smooth and the brakes have performed well. This is the 1st road bike that I have owned. I had previously lost my license and rode a hybrid bike for over 8000kms in 14 months. So far the Read aquila is a much better ride.

rokwiz

Postby rokwiz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:19 pm

Hi Lethal,I'm glad you like your bike.
Just read this topic and I don't see what wrong with an Aussie company having a go, tall poppies anyone. Geoff
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D Diderot 1752

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:15 pm

Hardly tall poppy @rockwiz. Lots of people here support LBS which are in general family-owned Aussie biz eg Cell Bikes, Cycling Express.

However, this thread attracts the one time poster on Reid and then disappearing into the ether. They took the time to log in and sign up and post but couldn't be bothered posting elsewhere besides this one.

Contrast with peeps who buy Aldi bikes...they seem to have longer staying poster power.

rokwiz

Postby rokwiz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:26 pm

Maybe I read this one wrong cause it all seems out of sequence, with to much off topic posts. What I'm saying is "I think I lost the plot".
Anyway why can't people spell my handle right :?:
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D Diderot 1752

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:00 pm

:lol:

clackers

Postby clackers » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:27 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
James Reid has confirmed that he is not involved in the 1 time posters. I still can't get my head around it and some research shows very unusual behaviour - though there I go, getting sucked into controversy and I should know better... so back on topic.
It'd be interesting to see if in your web server logs you ever saw any of these suspicious posts sharing the same IP address - a sign someone became careless!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:02 pm

No, there are a few other tell-tale patterns - though as there are also genuine reid buyers and also genuine (new user) participants in this thread (and the other thread) - I really am keen to encourage this discussion to continue so am not letting my patience get the better of me.
Cycling is in my BNA

lethal

Postby lethal » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:51 pm

Another 22 k's down and still no issues maybe they have upgraded some of their gear?

Guy

Postby Guy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:02 pm

Picking my Reid Condor up on Monday. Using it for a small 7km commute to the train station.. See how it goes, and how I go as well.. First time using a bike for anything since I was a teenager a long, long time ago. :shock:

Have read the "spammy" thread about the bike, but for my starter budget, it's just too attractive, if all it's going to need is some fiddling with tyre tubes (though some others have had no issues). Just didnt want to jump into a $1k bike to start with (+ it's going to be left at a dodgy train station, albeit in a cage).

Yeah first post, too. :lol:

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi Guy,

Welcome to BNA, I have no doubt the bike will do what you need it for and the current price for that model is certainly excellent.

However just in case, buy yourself a spare innertube and some bicycle tyre levers as walking 5 km pushing a bike with a flat tyre is certainly not fun as there seems to more glass on the roads than ever before.

PS. I’m not sure if you need spanner with that model to take the wheels off, or if they are fixed with a quick release, if not also include the right size spanner in your kit.

Cheers,
Tom

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:43 pm

lethal wrote:Another 22 k's down and still no issues maybe they have upgraded some of their gear?
That's not exactly a recommendation.

Most of us here are doing in the thousands of kilometres per year and with routine maintenance to chain cleaning, the occasinal rim true after hitting a particularly nasty pothole, and replacing brake pads and tyres as they wear, we expect our bikes to be completely trouble free and require no other replacement parts over that time.

What are you expecting? :shock:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:59 pm

Slightly off topic but i bought a set of VP pedals with toe clips for my old Tom Wallace from Reid through ebay, they got here very quickly and look great. Also came with 2 little knog type lights which i wasn't expecting. So no complaints from my Reid experience.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

lethal

Postby lethal » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:12 pm

Trailgumby, I'm not about recommending a bike, I'm simply sharing my experience so that others looking at these bikes know what there up for. I have completed over 400k's this month and will increase the work load as I get fitter, so I will also be clocking up thousands of k's. I have still not had a single issue with this bike.