Why I shouldn't get a reid?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Why I shouldn't get a reid?

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:38 pm

I saw the Falco proto when I returned the Aquila to James post test. Looked pretty good then. I really should swing by again to see what's happening.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

by BNA » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:18 pm

BNA

Postby brendanwilding » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I saw the Falco proto when I returned the Aquila to James post test. Looked pretty good then.

Now the proud owner of one :P It's funny going to the shop and seeing what the place is really like after the spammer controversy. And like what was said earlier, the guys running the place seem like very decent people and not dodgy car salesmen (I think its father and son, only Bruce Reid the dad was there when I went). But anyway, this is the bike (excuse the amateur phone photos):

Side:

Back gears:

Back breaks:

Front fork:

Handlebars:

The money shot :P :

Travelling at 100kph:

Lock:

What I think I need to get to make it complete: front light, back light, bell, speedo, mount for gps phone, bike repair kit (spare tube etc), better lock?, decent biking clothes! - suggestions welcome, especially for a repair kit. Are there generic mounts for smart phones on bikes (as GPS would be handy)?

The decals seem very elementary - ie the reflectors look very generic. But this is what I wanted - cheap, dirty, decent and no fluff.

Mulger bill wrote:I really should swing by again to see what's happening.

They said they will soon have a carbon bike too.

So far very happy with this one, riding is jokingly easier than running. Should have done this long ago!

Brendan
brendanwilding

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:41 pm

That's the frame I saw, tho' the livery is different. Less fussy than the proto.

I saw one of the CF frames James was looking into. It looked very flash. I guess I can mention it now. :wink:

Let's see, Lights... What are you planning? Full on night rides or just something to be seen by?
You'll want a saddlebag with a spare tube and patch kit, a multitool and tyre levers. A pump or CO2 bomb to inflate the flats. That's enough to start you off.
IIRC, a silicon rubber mount for the phone is available from Abbotsford cycles in Richmond.

Hmmm. Get rid of the wheel reflectors, they is ugly and of limited value. Ebay "reflective tape" and stick it to the wheel rims for all round reflectiveness.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby KenGS » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:50 pm

Whatever happened to the 10 posts and 7 days rule?????
Maybe should apply to using the word "reid" as well ;)
Not that I'm complaining - I'm just worried about the welfare of the posters as they seem to disappear into the void after just a few posts
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!
KenGS

Postby rohan133 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:13 pm

I bought a Reid Aquilla about three months ago and absolutely regretting it.

If you want something for a 500m joyride to the supermarket then an Aquilla would be fine. But I have got a 20K ride to work each way and I just can't depend on the bike. Every week, the drive train gives some trouble or other. Just bought a new chain last week as the old one developed a kink in it. The rear gears were change art their whim.

After not riding a bike for 10 years, I recently decided to start riding to work. So at first I thought that maybe it was me who was doing something wrong. But my friend (who has been riding for years) rode my bike for three days and also had the same issues. A few bumps when crossing the tram tracks or a rain line and the derailleur tends to loose its setting or the chain jumps off when changing gears.

James is really nice to deal with and I took the bike back to the store once and they readjusted the settings. But the problem lies with the quality of equipment. It simply isn't built for a 40k ride 4 times a week. The derailleur and cassette are bottom end Shimano but everything else, god only knows.

I have tried to maintain the drive train really well with regular cleaning, degreasing and lube etc. but no help. At last I am giving up and would be a buying a new bike in the next few weeks when I find a good sale on.

Learned my lesson - you get what you pay for.
rohan133

Postby jules21 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:51 pm

something doesn't sound right there. it's probably unfair to dismiss a bike brand due to problems with the rear shifter, a shimano part. you should be able to get that working, or Reid should. i'm fairly certain there's no endemic problems with Shimano shifters.
jules21

Postby alexf » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:30 pm

Yes that sounds really weird... Are new shimano shifters and derailleurs worse than old ones? cable problems?

Had a look at the road bikes on the reid website... there is a big jump from the Osprey (shimano 2300, $500) to the falcon (105, $1000) with no models in between...
alexf

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:40 pm

Odd indeed, I commuted on an Aquila flatbar for a while before writing a review for BNA. I was encouraged to grab one at random to be sure I wasn't given a specially tuned model. It got a lot of work commuting and shopping runs and I didn't have this sort of trouble.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby zero » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:58 am

Mulger bill wrote:Odd indeed, I commuted on an Aquila flatbar for a while before writing a review for BNA. I was encouraged to grab one at random to be sure I wasn't given a specially tuned model. It got a lot of work commuting and shopping runs and I didn't have this sort of trouble.

A050 shifters are $20 retail the pair. RD can be had for sub $20 new if you look around. The RD is sloppy with big manufacturing tolerances, the front shifter isn't indexed (though that is not a big drama for a front shifter). RD has a fabricated mount and extra bolt / flex point because the casting does not extend up to the hanger like a "non budget" RD.

Doing a spot of commuting also isn't doing 160km/week on the same 20km rides - that rider will be on the bike for at least 45 mins each way and pushing hard just to get it done, and will have trouble with this bike. A 5km / each way rider who isn't going to shave much time off his commute by hurrying - and won't gain the same level of fitness/speed would probably not notice, neither would a casual sunday rider.

I think that poster is just finding out why people make and sell $1000 commuter hybrids using tiagra or deore bits and nice wheels.
zero

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:16 am

jules21 wrote:something doesn't sound right there. it's probably unfair to dismiss a bike brand due to problems with the rear shifter, a shimano part. you should be able to get that working, or Reid should. i'm fairly certain there's no endemic problems with Shimano shifters.

When I started back on a bike I purchased a BSO from Kmart in my case a Schwinn Prelude fitted with a 7 speed A050 Shimano shifter and no matter how it was adjusted caused no end of problems.

Including jumping gears and dropping the chain on a regular basis, they may be branded Shimano but they are absolute rubbish and should never be used on a bicycle that is expected to travel more than 10 km per day or ridden up any sort of a hill.

I feel sorry for anyone that got sucked into buying a BSO with that particular equipment in the mistaken belief they were buying a bike.

Tom
greyhoundtom

Postby rohan133 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:37 am

jules21 wrote:something doesn't sound right there. it's probably unfair to dismiss a bike brand due to problems with the rear shifter, a shimano part. you should be able to get that working, or Reid should. i'm fairly certain there's no endemic problems with Shimano shifters.

True. A small problem with the shifters shouldn’t be representative of the whole bike. However, in my view, the problem lies with the quality of the components.

As an example, last week when the chain came off while changing the front gear from low high, one of the links developed a small turn in it. I am very very careful when changing the front gear as it frequently tends to slip. The moment the chain slipped, I stopped pedalling and didn’t put any stress on it. For a three month old chain to develop a turn like seems odd. Also, when I took my bike back to the store for readjustment last month, I was told that the chain is very solid. I just bought a new Shimano chain and would be replacing the old one soon.

I have got the shifter settings adjusted twice and they go out of sync within a week. As I mentioned earlier, I am new to riding and know very little about bikes. My experience with this bike is being shaped on its entire lack of reliability in commuting to work.

Also, another friend of mine bought a Reid recently, after seeing mine. He uses it over the weekends for the slow rides to the markets. His bike isn’t giving him any trouble.

To me this again seems a representation of the quality of the components. The bike simply isn’t built for reliability and performance. This would have been fine, if the bike is advertised this way as well. The description on Reid cycles website for the Aquilla states that – “it is more than capable of reaching great speeds socially or in competition”. The no. of times the chain has slipped off on my bike when I am ridding more than 30 -35 km/hr and change gears wouldn’t agree with the statement at all.

At this stage, I don’t know bikes well enough to pick up the difference between quality of the frame and fork etc. However, problems with drive train are obvious. But I do wonder as to how much of the trouble with the drive train is due to the poor quality of the other components. As in, do the shifters loose their setting so often because of the constant vibration from the other components?

As I said, my experience with this bike is being shaped on its entire lack of reliability. I need something reliable in commuting to work and I don’t want to be turning up at work with grease on my hands, twice a week. However, in spite of all the problems, I do enjoy riding to work. So I am just going to get a new bike before I am put off riding completely.
rohan133

Postby rohan133 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:19 pm

zero wrote:
A050 shifters are $20 retail the pair. RD can be had for sub $20 new if you look around. The RD is sloppy with big manufacturing tolerances, the front shifter isn't indexed (though that is not a big drama for a front shifter). RD has a fabricated mount and extra bolt / flex point because the casting does not extend up to the hanger like a "non budget" RD.

Doing a spot of commuting also isn't doing 160km/week on the same 20km rides - that rider will be on the bike for at least 45 mins each way and pushing hard just to get it done, and will have trouble with this bike. A 5km / each way rider who isn't going to shave much time off his commute by hurrying - and won't gain the same level of fitness/speed would probably not notice, neither would a casual sunday rider.

I think that poster is just finding out why people make and sell $1000 commuter hybrids using tiagra or deore bits and nice wheels.

I 100% agree. This is exactly what I think.

If I want a leisure 3k ride, this bike would be just fine. However, if one wants to ride for fitness and improve on the times, this bike isn’t meant for that.

Also to clarify, its not like I am blasting through hills. I use a bike path (Gardiners creek in Melbourne), which is fairly smooth and rest of the ride is on fully paved roads as well.
rohan133

Postby CommuRider » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:35 pm

rohan133 wrote:However, in spite of all the problems, I do enjoy riding to work. So I am just going to get a new bike before I am put off riding completely.

I think you've been given a great lesson here and at least you know what you are looking for in a bike now. Others just give up commuting completely with the wrong bike. There are plenty of other more suitable bikes out there but as you would have probably found out in this forum, people here tend to pay more for quality because they love cycling too much to let an underperforming machine disappoint them. You do get what you pay for in bikes, as for most things in life. Having the right combo of function and form can be difficult to find but it's worth the search.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
CommuRider

Postby brendanwilding » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:53 pm

Hey guys,

I have had my Reid Falco for almost a month now. Although I am yet to start commuting to work yet (too scared of morning and afternoon traffic!), I am doing roughly 15km weekdays on track and 30km on the road on weekend days. In this time I have had 3 chain slips but I think this was probably my fault since I'm new to riding, and this has not occurred recently. The only complaint I have about the bike is that I can rarely get into the very top gear (back sprocket). I don't know if it is the shifters, cable loosening or what but it just wont change! (Its a shimano 105 gearset). Other than that the bike has performed fabulously. I put on shimano 105 show clips [I didnt put my falls on the clipstack page - too embarrsed - but the latest one was due to dogs blocking the path].

I think your problems are either you got a dodgy gearset or it wasn't really built for the way your using your bike, so like others have stated you get what you pay for. That's why I decided to pay a bit more for the Falco model.

Review of the the Falco still in progress!!

Brendan
brendanwilding

Postby heilman » Tue May 10, 2011 12:21 am

I recently bought myself a Reid Griffon cycle. I could easily say it is one of the best bikes you will get in the price range. It doesn't pretend to be anything great, but for getting from A to B I don't think you could get anything better in the price range. In fact, I had a look at some $500 bikes and they weren't as good as this. Definitely recommend it to all of my friends.

The service has been great too. If anything does go wrong, or if I ever need a bike serviced I would not hesitate to take it to Reid Cycles to get serviced, I am sure they will look after me.

One of the best bicycle shops in Melbourne, for sure. I can't believe people can be so negative. What do they expect, a bike they can compete in marathons on?
heilman

Postby crayoncramp » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:56 am

heilman wrote:I recently bought myself a Reid Griffon cycle. I could easily say it is one of the best bikes you will get in the price range. It doesn't pretend to be anything great, but for getting from A to B I don't think you could get anything better in the price range. In fact, I had a look at some $500 bikes and they weren't as good as this. Definitely recommend it to all of my friends.

The service has been great too. If anything does go wrong, or if I ever need a bike serviced I would not hesitate to take it to Reid Cycles to get serviced, I am sure they will look after me.

One of the best bicycle shops in Melbourne, for sure. I can't believe people can be so negative. What do they expect, a bike they can compete in marathons on?

Thanks Hellman, you've given me the confidence to finally get one! I've been searching everywhere for a reliable commuting bike for some time now and when I saw the 'Griffon', I was almost certain she was the one! Now I feel as if I'm ready! :D
crayoncramp

Postby ilikeiceream » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:51 am

Interesting to read people's experiences of unreliable componentry. I'm riding a giant defy 4, aluminium frame sub-$800 price with shimano 2300 (=bottom end shimano).

A friend of mine has a Fuji with full 105 groupset, and we do most of ou riding together (including a massive cycle tour next month!).

I'm yet to drop a chain, and have had issues shifting gears (that rasping noise of almost in, followed by shifting either way to force the gear (whilst barely pedalling)).

My friends Fuji however has suffered similar issues as those reported earlier. First ride on the bike featured a freak chain bend that ripped off a rear derailleur, next ride had a front derailleur that wouldn't change (turned out to be a cable so loose it was a string, fairly simple fix). Chains were/are frequently dropped. As far as i can tell we ride with almost identical techniques, yet i'm having significantly less drama.

I'd venture a guess that build quality and rider skill are incredibly important, but blind faith and a heap of luck are just as important. Just look at how many times they change bikes in proffessional cycling.

Sidebar: I'd love to see the engineering innovations if they brought back the old rules of 'finish on the bike you start on', reliability all of a sudden becomes the most important factor, and the ability to fix your own bike with an allen key and some head scratching. I'm not a big fan of relying on hardware i don't completely understand.
ilikeiceream

Postby wcad2048 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:10 am

Hi all

New to this forum (and cycling), so you can take my words with a grain of salt if you want, but will relay my experiences with reid anyway FYI. I just wanted a bike to get around Syd on, no more than 20k at a time, and I wasnt sure if I was into cycling yet so the new budget bike option definitely appealed to me. I bought a flat bar condor from their sydney shop. They offer free servicing for a year, and Im sure beyond that they wouldnt mind doing stuff beyond that if you asked nicely. Anytime I've had a "problem" (newbie cyclist, no idea whether there was a problem or not) I brought the bike back and they were happy to fiddle with it for me at no cost (truing wheels, adjusting deraillers etc). The bike itself is made of, from what I can tell, the bottom of the range chinese made components, with your bog average kmart shimano drivetrain. Yes, the gears slip like buggery and the brakes need constant adjustment, but since Im willing to spend the time playing with it I dont really mind. Plus its a pretty good looking machine, and ends up being pretty light (around 10kg). Anyway, I have since done a fixie conversion on an old road bike, and went to them for many of the parts. They even gave me advice on bike mechanics, and helped install new bottom brackets etc at no cost. In conclusion, what the company lacks in quality products, it definitely makes up in customer support, and I certainly dont see their warranties as being a fixed thing. I've no doubt i'll invest in something a bit better eventually, but these bikes are definitely a good way to get into cycling. The condor is definitely the best bike going around for what it is at that price range (competitors being your deparment store road bikes, which all seem to weigh like lead in comparison).
wcad2048

Postby CommuRider » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:08 am

Why is it that noobies always post their reviews of Reid on this thread and are never heard of again or participate in other threads?
CommuRider

Postby ozdavo » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:21 pm

CommuRider wrote:Why is it that noobies always post their reviews of Reid on this thread and are never heard of again or participate in other threads?

I don't see the problem:
* Adding relevant comments to an existing thread,
* Not asking non cycling related Qs (I know you dont like that :wink: )
* Maybe they are still lurking around, but don't feel confident to add to other threads or start their own,
* Reid's are, for the most part, entry level bikes, so it seems reasonable that many owners will be noobs (FWIW, I'm a noob to Road riding)

IMO, this is a great thread, & posts such as wcad2048's fit perfectly.
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area
ozdavo

Postby CommuRider » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:44 pm

ozdavo wrote:* Maybe they are still lurking around, but don't feel confident to add to other threads or start their own,

It would help the brand if they did because this thread and the other Reid thread has been under a cloud since their inception. Also unusual that most noobs post short responses and not looooong reviews until later. They feel confident enough to post their Reid reviews but not post in other threads? No posts about help for fixing their Reid bikes and components? Where are the Reid comments/advice needed in the Shed for example? Surely a Reid bike - like Cell - will have issues after general wear and tear. But nope, zilch, nada de nada.
CommuRider

Postby ozdavo » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:17 pm

Re-reading your earlier post, I now get the impression you were hinting that some or the reviews may not have been genuine? Or am I off base?

CommuRider wrote:They feel confident enough to post their Reid reviews but not post in other threads?

Possibly because they feel having the personal experience of owning a Reid makes them feel they have something to add to the topic? I really don't know, just speculating :D

CommuRider wrote:Surely a Reid bike - like Cell - will have issues after general wear and tear. But nope, zilch, nada de nada.

Yeah, I agree, but wcad did say
the gears slip like buggery and the brakes need constant adjustment
&
Anytime I've had a "problem" I brought the bike back and they were happy to fiddle with it
so maybe these noobs aren't looking for advicde on fixes, but getting the LBS to do it for them? Again... speculation :D
ozdavo

Postby CommuRider » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:23 pm

ozdavo wrote:Re-reading your earlier post, I now get the impression you were hinting that some or the reviews may not have been genuine? Or am I off base?

Since you're relatively new to the forum, there's a long history of Reid and the posters in its threads.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14609

:-)

I suppose I am carrying the baggage from last year when I joined up and the forum erupted over Reid. Still weird how both Reid threads get revived this week! Timing, timing, timing (they holding a sale?)
CommuRider

Postby ozdavo » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:35 pm

Yeah, I've had a browse through that thread, but my thoughts are *most* of the reviews, including the most recent, are not that flattering to the quality of the bikes and would hinder rather than help sales.

Anyway, I've spent way too much time here ;)
ozdavo

Postby deekrockingbeat » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:39 pm

i'm thinking about getting a bike that both my wife and i could ride (we both have bikes already, but the wife wants something that she can commute with) and i was looking closely at the reid's, but i think i might give it a miss now.
deekrockingbeat

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion