Oppy Owners Club

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Oppy Owners Club

Postby comehome » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:15 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone a 2010 A1 / A2 / A3 / A4 Oppy? Or owned one? Or another MS of a similar vintage?

In discussions with a potential seller and he's told me the frame is M / 57cm. I would've thought 57cm to equate to large. Can anyone clarify this or was the sizing a little different back in 2010?

Thanks!

edit: and out of interest, when referring to frame size in cm, are we talking about seat tube or top tube length?

edit2: and a little unrelated, but what is the 2010 sora set like? i've tried the 2013 sora set which seemed very nice, but i gather it was a different beast back then.
comehome

by BNA » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:21 am

BNA

Postby comehome » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:21 am

Okay, the seller got back to me and it is indeed M, but 54cm and not 57cm. this makes more sense.

i'm going to hazard a guess and say i'm better suited to a ~56cm frame given i am 6' / 182cm? i have a long torso and short legs (and arms).

can anyone comment?
comehome

Postby Cossie Phil » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:25 pm

Sounds about right...Im 6'2" and on a L/58cm top tube frame...its super comfy:)
Cossie Phil

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:36 pm

And i'm also 6'2 but on a 56cm, long legs and short arms. If you prefer a long stretched out position then I would say a 56 at 6', otherwise i'm guessing 54 would probably fit well. And it'll be a little bit lighter too :) .
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby Emjay57 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:32 pm

Dimma wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:Just picked up my 2010 Oppy C7 frame this arvo, looks fantastic and i got it for next to nothing, popped on the wheels from my current bike for the photo, will build up with mostly 105 bits.

Mate you will love it, fantastic frame.

This is my latest Oppy, also very good.

Dimma, how you find the new frame, I have a 2010 Oppy, been looking at the Di2 for a while, wondering how it compares to the 2010/11 geometry.
TCR Adv 0 - 2013
Emjay57

Postby Dimma » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:45 pm

To be honest I don't think their latest offering is as good as the previous iteration.
I think my sentiments were shared by Huon Salmon Genesys Cycling as they moved to Avanti the alternate option from Pacific Brands.
Dimma

Postby Emjay57 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:06 pm

Yeah cheers, I was a bit iffy on the new frame, doesn't look as refined as the previous one. Hmm might be the TCR Adv 0 than I think.
TCR Adv 0 - 2013
Emjay57

Postby AKO » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:20 pm

Dimma wrote:To be honest I don't think their latest offering is as good as the previous iteration.
I think my sentiments were shared by Huon Salmon Genesys Cycling as they moved to Avanti the alternate option from Pacific Brands.

Sheppard Group (owners of Avanti) bought MS off Pac Brands last year (or the year before). They then offered to continue support of the Genesys team supplying Avanti bikes (their flagship bike brand). The decision wasn't really the teams but more the sponsoring companies as a way of promoting their "prestige" brand. As for the new models I've been told by anyone who has ridden both that they are a great frame and compare very well to the previous model. They are however considerably cheaper than the 2012 range so you would be inclined to think that they are possibly inferior in some way.
Malvern Star Oppy C5
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB
AKO

Postby Dimma » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:41 pm

Mine failed after about 4 months, Sheppard were great as always and replaced it no dramas but didn't instill any confidence.
I wasn't happy with the performance/quality so ended my relationship with the brand and found a alternate option.
Dimma

Postby bklff3 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:49 am

I've got a 2009 Oppy A2. I bought it cause it was great value and fit me.

It's a great bike, done more than 10,000 km. Lots of cummuting, training rides, Sydney->Canberra, and some triathlons with clip-ons. The frame appears bulletproof and it has served me well.

Perhaps the best thing is that I'm not worried about doing my own maintenance (appreceiate that not everyone wants to do this!). I relaced the wheels and replaced the saddle early on, and the rear derailler recently. I've put a zero-offset carbon seatpost on it and moved the brifters around.
bklff3

Previous

Return to General discussion