10k Club 2011 is here!!!

ajh003

Re: 10k Club 2011 is here!!!

Postby ajh003 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:10 pm

OK Time to eat humble Pie....so much for those who can't hear - what about those who can't READ (MY HAND IS UP - Apologies) - but as for the OTHERS who dare to don earbuds - well - I've said my piece
Now to the other issue at hand - aaahhhh yes MIRRORS
Would not ride without my trusty ZEFAL SPY - Nope not ever
so....it seems we have some common ground after all :roll:

As for the rest of you sissified NING NONGS ..... well no wonder you never hear me say gooday or 'mornin or "GETOUTADAWAY !"
I shall therefore have to continue and learn tolerance for those who by choice are hearing impaired (NING NONGS)
Jamis CODA SPORT Flat Bar CONVERTED to a DROP BAR for Daily commutes
Giant "Talon" MTB for weekend Trails and "FAMILY" stuff
SW 168.5 kgs CW 111 kgs woohoo !

sli123

Postby sli123 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Livetoride wrote:
sli123 wrote:
Livetoride wrote:Girlies, LOL Bring it on 8)
YOU da girlie!
:mrgreen:

I'm gonna smash it!
(oh crap :shock: )
Who's "Da Girlie"!!!! :D :D
I could complain about my lack of opportunities recently.......but I won't :wink:
I could say I'm impressed by your km marker Livetoride.......but I won't :P
130km ride total yesterday + today (+ 6km run).
I'm on the chase :!:
Stu.
ps. nice comment retrieval Livetoride - my wife does things like that :!:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:26 pm

[/quote]
I could complain about my lack of opportunities recently.......but I won't :wink:
I could say I'm impressed by your km marker Livetoride.......but I won't :P
130km ride total yesterday + today (+ 6km run).
I'm on the chase :!:
Stu.
ps. nice comment retrieval Livetoride - my wife does things like that :!:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:[/quote]

LOL good come back mate :D Nice K's yesterday, one day you might just break the 1,000k :shock:

Thought you were the woman, not the husband... My mistake oops :mrgreen:
Happy Days

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:42 pm

Im a NING NONG earbud wearing NING NONG but you would have to catch me to complain, but i doubt i would turn my music off to listen as i wouldn't ride next to you. It would be to unsafe if your always looking backwards not forwards, you might miss that pothole and get thrown off and knock me off. And dont think about sucking my wheel with one of those mirrors on dont want someone who is distracted by something behind them rather than watching my front wheel.

mmmm seems like some quiet tunes are less of a danger than those dodgy mirrors constantly distracting you from looking where your going. :twisted:

tim on skin

Postby tim on skin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:29 am

look's like i've rolled into 2rd :twisted:
Last edited by tim on skin on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No Pain No Game Man
HTFU

ajh003

Postby ajh003 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:24 am

iaintas wrote:Im a NING NONG earbud wearing NING NONG but you would have to catch me to complain, but i doubt i would turn my music off to listen as i wouldn't ride next to you. It would be to unsafe if your always looking backwards not forwards, you might miss that pothole and get thrown off and knock me off. And dont think about sucking my wheel with one of those mirrors on dont want someone who is distracted by something behind them rather than watching my front wheel.

mmmm seems like some quiet tunes are less of a danger than those dodgy mirrors constantly distracting you from looking where your going. :twisted:

Aaaargh - CHALLENGE ACCEPTED !
But then again if you wouldn't ride with me for a mirror then you'd hate my panniers and mudguards on my commuter !

Funny thing is I was talking to a mate this week who rides in the "ELITE" bunches - I was asking whether I could start having a group ride with them...He said mate I'd ride with you ok...but they wouldn't ...not on that thing you ride
SO to clarify ...while all my staff were listening (who call these guys Wan**rs anyway) ...I said so what would it take for me to ride with them. ANSWER - get rid of the panniers mudguards and maybe sit at the back of the pack
In other words my staff were right !!!
Image is everything to these guys and although I do more K's - and can sit on the same speeds I'm not welcome....unless I get my carbon bling machine

Between them and you earbud wearing sissy's the roads just aren't what thye use to be :lol:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:12 am

ajh003 wrote:
iaintas wrote:Im a NING NONG earbud wearing NING NONG but you would have to catch me to complain, but i doubt i would turn my music off to listen as i wouldn't ride next to you. It would be to unsafe if your always looking backwards not forwards, you might miss that pothole and get thrown off and knock me off. And dont think about sucking my wheel with one of those mirrors on dont want someone who is distracted by something behind them rather than watching my front wheel.

Aaaargh - CHALLENGE ACCEPTED !
But then again if you wouldn't ride with me for a mirror then you'd hate my panniers and mudguards on my commuter !

Funny thing is I was talking to a mate this week who rides in the "ELITE" bunches - I was asking whether I could start having a group ride with them...He said mate I'd ride with you ok...but they wouldn't ...not on that thing you ride
SO to clarify ...while all my staff were listening (who call these guys Wan**rs anyway) ...I said so what would it take for me to ride with them. ANSWER - get rid of the panniers mudguards and maybe sit at the back of the pack
In other words my staff were right !!!
Image is everything to these guys and although I do more K's - and can sit on the same speeds I'm not welcome....unless I get my carbon bling machine

Between them and you earbud wearing sissy's the roads just aren't what thye use to be :lol:
Mate... I hate to be the one to break this to you... are you sure you can keep up with an "elite" group on a flat bar?

I don't ride with "elite" groups and am a bit of a noob. However I've never seen a flat bar and rider that would have a chance in hell ( :shock: ) of keeping up with even the shop ride that I do. The average for the ride yesterday was just over 33. Given that there are some good hills on that ride you should understand that we were averaging around 40kph for 3km on the flat (no wind) for the sprint section. Mostly the average for the trasport stages was above 35.

Maybe your mate is a tosser, but I really think you'd get dropped in the first couple of k's. :shock: I can't speak for that group, but most people ride in a given group because they trust the other riders. It only takes one guy to weave or do something unpredictable in front of you and then you have a ten bike pile up so trust is vital. :)

sli123

Postby sli123 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:31 am

Livetoride wrote: LOL good come back mate :D Nice K's yesterday, one day you might just break the 1,000k :shock:

Hehe,
If I don't make the 10k you can call me whatever you like :lol:
Early days.....
(btw, cough, nice total k's from you so far LTR - you've had a good month, cough. That didn't hurt as much as I thought Now, back to the sledging!!)

ajh003

Postby ajh003 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:39 am

Comedian wrote: Mate... I hate to be the one to break this to you... are you sure you can keep up with an "elite" group on a flat bar?
Note my SIG
He has ridden with me a few times and we have sat on 33-35 kms together consistently
He said I would not have trouble keeping withthem
Maybe I was a bit harsh calling them ELITE !!! :roll:
Maybe more a tongue in cheek "ELITIST"
But to clarify - I don't ride a flat bar - and if I did I could NEVER keep up - and you are right .....I'd be a total noob to group rides
I've done most of the last 23,000kms solo anyway - but I sire would like to try it sometime

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:55 am

sli123 wrote:
Livetoride wrote: LOL good come back mate :D Nice K's yesterday, one day you might just break the 1,000k :shock:

Hehe,
If I don't make the 10k you can call me whatever you like :lol:
Early days.....
(btw, cough, nice total k's from you so far LTR - you've had a good month, cough. That didn't hurt as much as I thought Now, back to the sledging!!)
Thanks, but will need to maintain it now :shock: Oh and here's a wolly wop to help your cough....

PS - Anyone seen novice, or was I just hearing squeaks from down there..... :P
Happy Days

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:07 am

ajh003 wrote:
Comedian wrote: Mate... I hate to be the one to break this to you... are you sure you can keep up with an "elite" group on a flat bar?
Note my SIG
He has ridden with me a few times and we have sat on 33-35 kms together consistently
He said I would not have trouble keeping withthem
Maybe I was a bit harsh calling them ELITE !!! :roll:
Maybe more a tongue in cheek "ELITIST"
But to clarify - I don't ride a flat bar - and if I did I could NEVER keep up - and you are right .....I'd be a total noob to group rides
I've done most of the last 23,000kms solo anyway - but I sire would like to try it sometime
Yep, the term elite threw me. :) The elite group in my area sit on the flat at 40 plus and sprint at 50. :shock:

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

ajh003 wrote: But to clarify - I don't ride a flat bar - and if I did I could NEVER keep up - and you are right .....I'd be a total noob to group rides
There is only one way to find out and that is to give it a try! It took me a month of trying before I was able to hang on to the bunch I rode with when I first tried. If you can sit on 33-35 km's easily, in a bunch you'll be able to go up to 5km's faster. With 23K on your legs the endurance won't be a problem. The only thing you'll have to consider is the hills and any accelerations the bunch will do.

Most bunches will regroup at various points (generally after sprints or hills) so if you are riding with a fast group you do get the chance to catch up if you do get dropped.

That said, it's probably better to start off in a slower bunch than you are capable of riding with so that you get the hang of bunch riding skills.

ajh003

Postby ajh003 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:17 am

goneriding wrote:
ajh003 wrote: But to clarify - I don't ride a flat bar - and if I did I could NEVER keep up - and you are right .....I'd be a total noob to group rides
There is only one way to find out and that is to give it a try! It took me a month of trying before I was able to hang on to the bunch I rode with when I first tried. If you can sit on 33-35 km's easily, in a bunch you'll be able to go up to 5km's faster. With 23K on your legs the endurance won't be a problem. The only thing you'll have to consider is the hills and any accelerations the bunch will do.

Most bunches will regroup at various points (generally after sprints or hills) so if you are riding with a fast group you do get the chance to catch up if you do get dropped.

That said, it's probably better to start off in a slower bunch than you are capable of riding with so that you get the hang of bunch riding skills.
Great idea - man up and have a go
I was with a bunch for about 10kms at 38kph and I was amazed - so were they ...they told me.....as I had fully loaded panniers etc
PLUS I'm still a big guy !!!

ajh003

Postby ajh003 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:18 am

Comedian wrote: Yep, the term elite threw me. :) The elite group in my area sit on the flat at 40 plus and sprint at 50. :shock:
YOUCH !!!!

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:20 am

Sunday to date is going to be 40 degrees so its the PERFECT day to get out and have a ream ride, Giddy up :D :D
Happy Days

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:23 am

ajh003 wrote:
Comedian wrote: Yep, the term elite threw me. :) The elite group in my area sit on the flat at 40 plus and sprint at 50. :shock:
YOUCH !!!!
I watched them come by one day... about 30 super fit blokes in a swarm. It was remarkable to watch. I think they do about 70-80k at these speeds. If you get stopped by a light, have a flat/gear failure - or just get dropped forget about a re-group. Might see you next week! :mrgreen:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:02 pm

Comedian wrote:
Mate... I hate to be the one to break this to you... are you sure you can keep up with an "elite" group on a flat bar?

I don't ride with "elite" groups and am a bit of a noob. However I've never seen a flat bar and rider that would have a chance in hell ( :shock: ) of keeping up with even the shop ride that I do. The average for the ride yesterday was just over 33. Given that there are some good hills on that ride you should understand that we were averaging around 40kph for 3km on the flat (no wind) for the sprint section. Mostly the average for the trasport stages was above 35.

Maybe your mate is a tosser, but I really think you'd get dropped in the first couple of k's. :shock: I can't speak for that group, but most people ride in a given group because they trust the other riders. It only takes one guy to weave or do something unpredictable in front of you and then you have a ten bike pile up so trust is vital. :)
I went for a ride on Wednesday with the "A" Group (shop ride). All of us were on road bikes, except for one guy who was on a full suspension mountain bike with fat knobbly tyres! We were averaging slightly more than 29km/h, and at one stage it was rather comical to see this guy leading the bunch. Yes, he was suffering big time, but he did show that it is possible to keep up (at least when shielded by the bunch), but after a few minutes at the front he was redlining.

I am not sure what I could do on my flatbar hybrid in a bunch like that. In theory I could keep up as my gearing is 50/39/30 + 12-27 vs 53/39 + 11-28. The extra weight from the rack could be a hinderance (to both speed and euro cool), and I won't say anything about the mudguards :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:19 pm

ajh003 wrote: Great idea - man up and have a go
I was with a bunch for about 10kms at 38kph and I was amazed - so were they ...they told me.....as I had fully loaded panniers etc
PLUS I'm still a big guy !!!
There is something perversely satisfying about catching up to, and subsequently dropping someone (who is riding a full carbon bling bike whilst decked out in full team kit), made even more special when you do it on a climb on a flat bar bike with fully loaded panniers.

I once overtook and dropped a couple of guys on such bikes when I was out cruising on my hybrid for something different. I was dressed in my "casual" cycling gear (baggy shorts, loose top). I didn't have the panniers on, but I think the two guys I passed were a little dismayed because at least one of them put in some extra effort to catch me at the very top of the climb, but his riding partner was nowhere to be seen :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:28 pm

queequeg wrote:
Comedian wrote:

I went for a ride on Wednesday with the "A" Group (shop ride). All of us were on road bikes, except for one guy who was on a full suspension mountain bike with fat knobbly tyres! We were averaging slightly more than 29km/h, and at one stage it was rather comical to see this guy leading the bunch. Yes, he was suffering big time, but he did show that it is possible to keep up (at least when shielded by the bunch), but after a few minutes at the front he was redlining.

I am not sure what I could do on my flatbar hybrid in a bunch like that. In theory I could keep up as my gearing is 50/39/30 + 12-27 vs 53/39 + 11-28. The extra weight from the rack could be a hinderance (to both speed and euro cool), and I won't say anything about the mudguards :-)
Well it would appear not all shop rides are the same. If anybody on a mountain bike (or even a flat bar hybrid) can keep up on my shop ride then good luck to them. I know I'm flat out keeping up on a carbon roadie! I have seen people on older alloy roadies kind of keeping up but I've never seen them around for the sprint section. Hell I've only seen the front of the sprint section myself a couple of times. :shock:

http://maps.google.com/?q=http://share. ... 7-0531.kml

Anyway, we're wandering off topic here in this awesome thread and I'm leading the way so I'm out on this. :)

novice

Postby novice » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:50 pm

If anybody on a mountain bike (or even a flat bar hybrid) can keep up on my shop ride then good luck to them.
Sorry to say this, but you guys sound a little elitist against anyone on a mountain bike that can remotely keep up with a bunch.
I am not taking any offence but would like to make a point.
I have tried it on my MTB and did a reasonable job including taking a turn on the front. I got lots of encouragement from the guys in the bunch who were surprised by my abilty to keep up on the flat. Yep the hills will sort us out and a good fast bunch will leave us behind as well, but hell, we are out there having a go and beware. when we do get on a roadie, you guys won't know which way we went because the last thing you will remember seeing is our rear reflector :x
Excuses are like arseholes! Everybody has one and they all stink! - Lance Armstrong .

Scott CR1 Pro 2011
Avanti Scratch 2.0 29er set up for road use.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:56 pm

novice wrote:
If anybody on a mountain bike (or even a flat bar hybrid) can keep up on my shop ride then good luck to them.
Sorry to say this, but you guys sound a little elitist against anyone on a mountain bike that can remotely keep up with a bunch.
I have tried it on my MTB and did a reasonable job including taking a turn on the front. I got lots of encouragement from the guys in the bunch who were surprised by my abilty to keep up on the flat. Yep the hills will sort us out and a good fast bunch will leave us behind as well, but hell, we are out there having a go and beware. when we do get on a roadie, you guys won't know which way we went because the last thing you will remember is seeing our rear reflector :x
Well said mate I totally agree, I too used to go out on my MTB and keep up, though the speed wasn't in the 38K+ range it was more along the lines of 34-36K.
Happy Days

novice

Postby novice » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:02 pm

yes it feels almost naked without a rear view mirror. grabbed a different helmet a week or so ago, forgot to change the mirror over, hated not being able to see behind me.
JET PILOTS DON'T USE MIRRORS!
Excuses are like arseholes! Everybody has one and they all stink! - Lance Armstrong .

Scott CR1 Pro 2011
Avanti Scratch 2.0 29er set up for road use.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:24 pm

novice wrote:
comedian wrote:If anybody on a mountain bike (or even a flat bar hybrid) can keep up on my shop ride then good luck to them.
I have tried it on my MTB and did a reasonable job including taking a turn on the front. I got lots of encouragement from the guys in the bunch who were surprised by my abilty to keep up on the flat. Yep the hills will sort us out and a good fast bunch will leave us behind as well, but hell, we are out there having a go and beware. when we do get on a roadie, you guys won't know which way we went because the last thing you will remember seeing is our rear reflector :x
That's cool mate. :) I really don't care what people ride, and IMHO all riding is to be applauded!

Like I said.. if anyone can keep up with us on a MTB then good luck to them!

I reckon once you get your roadie you'll see how effort less the speed is. ;) Your MTB fitness will allow you to cover even more k's! :mrgreen:

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:48 pm

Well I've put in 335 km's this week, the most I've ever done and I'm still gonna be behind!
My excuse is I live in Brisbane.

tim on skin

Postby tim on skin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:09 pm

To ture Dude

How many of the 10k club are doing on a MTB ???
No Pain No Game Man
HTFU