Après Vélo 2011 Black Cat Awards (Flat Tyres)

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Competition - Black Cat Awards (flat tyres) 2011

Postby brokenbus » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:41 pm

+2 = 16 Havnt had an entry for a while but got 2 last week. First was a rock going throught the face of some worn out Crossmarks resulting in a 1.5cm tear in the tire and the second was a tear in the side wall of Maxix Larson Orriflmme. So 2 tyres stuffed in one week-bugger
brokenbus

by BNA » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:19 pm

BNA

Postby Gabon » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:19 pm

seems to have been a while but tempted fate tonight by going out without any pump, tubes etc. Sure enough a flat on the MTB - coincides with the start of another wet season. Started the long walk home but fortunately got rescued after a short while. So back to the best puncture protection I know - being prepared :)

Years total now 12
Gabon

Postby mezla » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:23 am

Gabon wrote:tempted fate tonight by going out without any pump, tubes etc.

Why on earth!? Lol... lesson learned I suppose :roll:
mezla

Postby twizzle » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:39 pm

+1, 27, Rear. Hit something in an intersection while concentrating on traffic, fairly fast deflation and whatever caused the cut hit my ankle on the way out. Thankfully, no injury to the ankle.

This was the first cut all the way through the Panaracer Duro, all the other punctures have been wire or glass slivers. The cut was about 4mm long and required a patch on the inside, but the tyre doesn't show any deformation when inflated. These Panaracers are tough tyres!
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby Kev365428 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:43 am

Wow, I haven't been here for a while, but the Puncture Fairy has been my friend.

2 flats on Friday on the way home - 1 front, 1 rear.

I had a quick look at my own tally, and realised I've missed few in here, so Twizzle, my new total is 17 (AT) 545km.

GT MTB - 11 rear flats, 0 front flats.
Gitane Roadie - 3 rear flats, 2 front flat.
Kuota Roadia - 1 rear flat, 0 front flats.

Kev.
Kev365428

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:08 pm

+1 = 13

Went to ride the fixie down to the gym and the rear was flat, so I rode the Focus. When I pulled the tube out, it appeared to be a failed patch, but after putting the tube under water, I discovered the hole was bang in the middle of the patch. I laid the tube back over the wheel and discovered a fine hole in the tyre liner. So some thin object and gone thru the tyre, then thru 2 layers of tyre liner (it was where the ends overlap) and then smack thru the middle of the patch
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:55 pm

The Australian After Cycle Wear brand, Aprés Vélo is kindly sponsoring this thread as a prize sponsor.

This means this comp is serious and the most unfortunate member will come out a winner at the end of the year.
The winner with the highest tally (and honesty is the key) will take home an Après Vélo prize pack to the value of $X

The winner will take home the mens Behind Bars or womens Love Handles prize pack valued at ca. $100

About Après Vélo
The coolest range of After Cycle wear on the planet
Land of the Devoted and Home of the Insane
Join our Cog-regation
Online: www.apresvelo.com

Total prize value: $100 incl. GST
End Date: 31.12.2011
Prize Sponsor: Après Vélo
Terms and Conditions apply
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Après Vélo 2011 Black Cat Awards (Flat Tyres)

Postby twizzle » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:47 pm

Hmmm.... this might change a few things.

O.K. - from now on people need DETAILED stories, not just "I had three on the weekend". Pictures of your dead/patched tube collection would be an advantage. People who aren't "known" to this comp should expect to be treated with suspicion.
I ride, therefore I am.
twizzle

Postby Redbull » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:44 pm

I got some Schwalbe Ultremo R1 and if I had posted all the flats I would be in pole for the Apres Velo gear.

Threw the Schwalbes away and have gone back to Vittorias - be perfect for the last 2 months and expect it to continue :D

I know........tempting the fates!!
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass
Redbull

Postby ausrandoman » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:35 pm

If the winner is decided by sheer number of punctures, I'm nowhere near "winning" but I might get an honourable mention.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=41556&p=698894#p698894
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.
ausrandoman

Postby Cruiserman » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:49 pm

Damn you Hutchinson intensive tubeless - thanks to them I am well and truly out of the running for this prize.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600
Cruiserman

Postby Max » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:02 pm

Yeh, props to the Vittoria Rubino Pros... 3240Km this year and not a single flat. 5073Km (same tyres) last year and I think I only had 4 flats. That's 2078Km per flat, and my tyres look brand new. Damn Rubino Pros!!!!!! :evil: :mrgreen: :lol:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:01 pm

Perhaps I should remove my tyre liners
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:27 am

I know that everyone is honest here, and those who are not may suddenly find the cycling mafia against them.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PiCO » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:15 pm

+1 for me. On my Bianchi - mystery puncture, no visible debris on tyre inside or out, not a snake bite etc.

Of course just about to ride... Makes four for me on three bikes.

PiCO
PiCO

Postby Cruiserman » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:23 pm

wanted to borrow till the end of the year ! set of worn Corsa Evo's to help me win this competition.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600
Cruiserman

Postby Marto » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:45 am

Cruiserman wrote:wanted to borrow till the end of the year ! set of worn Corsa Evo's to help me win this competition.

He he, I could send you some that I'm not using and have had little use. :wink:
Marto

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:15 am

My votes on Tizzle winning the comp, its that [glass] magnetic personality
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby twizzle » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:46 am

mikesbytes wrote:My votes on Tizzle winning the comp, its that [glass] magnetic personality

I think it's just because the local Govt. are a bunch of tight-arses and I do 99% of my rides on on-road cycle lanes that aren't ever cleaned. Half my punctures occur on one section of road of about 4km, and at the right time of the day you can see the lane glistening from all of the glass. :evil:

Big thumb up to the Panaracer Duro Tyre - total bitch on the first fitting, but stacks better than every other tyre I have tried in terms of the combination of wear rate/grip/puncture protection. I even used one on the front for a crit the other day, as I had been using the carbon front for commuting for a few days to sort out a bike setup problem and couldn't be bothered switching back to a Pro3.
I ride, therefore I am.
twizzle

Postby Marto » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:57 am

Twizzle, you need a bike like this one:

Marto

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:25 pm

G'day

Two for me from Saturday's Audax ride, the 200 km "Smelly Welly." First puncture was in the rear just as we where leaving Popanyinning (1). This was a bit frustrating as we had stopped here for lunch and it would have been handy if I had noticed before lunch as I could have fixed whilst waiting, instead of loosing time after.

The second one was about ten kilometres up the road, just short of Pingelly. In the rear again. Seems I hadn't cleared the cause properly. Found the culprit this time, patched the tube and got going again. Lost 20 minutes but.

The rear tyre is a Michelin Pro Race 3 which had done ~ 4,900 km. This ride has pretty much killed it off but.

(1) The townsite of Popanyinning is located in the great southern agricultural region, 174 km south east of Perth and 17 km south south east of Pingelly. The townsite is located on the Great Southern Railway, a private railway built by the Western Australian Land Company and opened in 1889. Popanyinning was one of the original sidings on the rail line when it opened. In 1896 the Western Australian government purchased the rail line and land, and in 1903 decided to have a few lots surveyed at the Popanyinning siding to meet the requirements of the local settlers. After survey the townsite of Popanyinning was gazetted in 1904.

Popanyinning is an Aboriginal name, first recorded by the surveyor John Forrest in 1869, for a pool in the Hotham River. Some records spell the place Popanying, or Popanyining, but these appear to just be misspellings of the original name. The meaning of Popanyinning is not known.
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby jasonc » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:10 pm

Max wrote:Yeh, props to the Vittoria Rubino Pros... 3240Km this year and not a single flat. 5073Km (same tyres) last year and I think I only had 4 flats. That's 2078Km per flat, and my tyres look brand new. Damn Rubino Pros!!!!!! :evil: :mrgreen: :lol:

Max

Max - I don't know about you, but this is one price I DO NOT want to win.
jasonc

Postby Fred Nurk » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:30 pm

Thats a big +2 for me, on the same tyre no less.

Got a puncture 2kms out from home, and got to try out my newly acquired CO2 canister to reinflate the tube, after I changed it.

All went well for another 7kms then the new tube managed to succumb to a puncture. I'd just about patched the tube (and tyre!) when a work colleague offered me a lift. Not a good result for what is likely to be the only bicycle commute to work this week.
Fred Nurk

Postby twizzle » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:05 pm

+0. Swapped out the rear Panaracers after I got home tonight - I had a close encounter with a truck on Friday morning, and when I pulled out the bike this morning found that a strip of rubber about 5cm long a 1cm wide had been torn off the carcass. Bare threads to the road... so I did did what any fairy hater would do, I did another 40km on it. :twisted:

But tonight, after playing musical tyres (an almost new Panaracer went onto the rear), I left the rear sitting by the front door after pumping it up to 110psi, and about 20 minutes later the tyre popped off the rim and the tube exploded. Four kids, two dogs and the better half were NOT impressed. Given how damned hard these tyres are to fit, I'm still trying to work out how the bead came off the rim.
I ride, therefore I am.
twizzle

Postby jules21 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:16 pm

punctured again today (3 this week! i would have to be close to the lead in this if i was counting). all the guys rode straight past, but 2 lovely ladies slowed to ask if i needed help.

yep, i've still got it 8)
jules21

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion