cameras?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

cameras?

Postby HPZ » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:43 pm

Hi all

Can anyone please direct me to a thread re bike cameras. (Couldn't find one earlier).
I'm completely fed up copping abuse from moronic motorists and nearly getting killed on the road each time I ride.
Any recommendations on camera makes and models would be greatly appreciated.

thanks heaps
H
HPZ
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:49 pm

by BNA » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:28 pm

BNA
 

Re: cameras?

Postby Nate » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:28 pm

Depends on $$$

The two most popular Hi-Def (1080p) models would be the Contour HD & Go Pro --> Reccomend the Go Pro due to the HUGE amount of mounting options.
Think they're around $400?

If you want cheaper - then you can get a water "resistant" (fine on rainy days) for around $70-$120.

<shameless advertisement> Me & My site:
Cameras:
http://www.rigidmount.com/camera_reviews.html
http://www.rigidmount.com/university.html

I run the Otek camera with my mount & its a great picture WITH great audio (waterproof = no audio)
User avatar
Nate
 
Posts: 2775
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:49 pm

Re: cameras - the MiniDV MD91S

Postby ghop0man » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:56 pm

I ordered yesterday, and it arrived this morning by Express Post, the MiniDV also known as MD91S: http://www.idv.net.au/products/display/miniDV

I bought the handlebar mount and while the User Guide is very basic, with the help of the images in the User Guide on the mini CD, I set it up, did a 15 min ride and believe I got value for money.

The advantage is: i.) the small size, smaller than my index finger in height and ii.)the waterproof/dustproof container, which is held by a screw from the handlebar mount, which provides protection for the camera.
Includes an insane number of attachments for different purposes.

Now to figure out what to capture, without booring my friends silly on the replay.
User avatar
ghop0man
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:15 am
Location: Loftus, Sydney,

Re: cameras?

Postby Laidlaym » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:07 pm

After a scare this week with a car passenger tryng to knock me off my bike I want a camera. I only commute 4k each way to the closest railway station (Eltham).

What's the mimimum specs for getting enough image detail, storage space (not likely to be an issue with short distance), handle bar mount with easy remove for security. Anything else I need to think about?

Mark
Laidlaym
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:24 pm

Re: cameras?

Postby shaneo92 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:15 pm

I would get the Go-Pro for sure.

There are plenty of mounting options and I have used it riding motocross and when watching the footage Ive seen rocks hit it so it is definitely able to take a fair beating and it is waterproof.

I guess it comes down to what you want to spend, the picture quality you are after and durability.
Image
Masi Evoluzione Ultegra 2012, Giant Anthem X2, 90s Torker
shaneo92
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:19 pm
Location: Wollongong

Re: cameras?

Postby mtb159 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:25 pm

Torpedo 7 have some decent cameras. I bought on not so long ago it does the job and looks fairly good. picked it up for only around $80 so its not the best but it works :D
mtb159
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:06 pm

Re: cameras?

Postby Canned Tomatoes » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:28 pm

Laidlaym wrote:After a scare this week with a car passenger tryng to knock me off my bike I want a camera. I only commute 4k each way to the closest railway station (Eltham).
So basically tried to kill you?? Please tell me this is a fluke of an event...
Canned Tomatoes
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:14 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: cameras?

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:47 pm

Hi

I am pretty happy so far with my Contour HD 1080P and I see now the that the Contour GPS can transmit to your smartphone. For me I only need helmet mount and bike mount so the Contour was fine. I guess if you have other plans then more mounting options would be important.

I am know considering a rear facing camera as well.

Oh if you want to see a Contour HD in action on the road in a normal commuting environment, check out the Cyclist from Croydon's videos.

Regards
Andrew
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20738
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: cameras?

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:50 pm

Aushiker wrote:Hi

I am pretty happy so far with my Contour HD 1080P and I see now the that the Contour GPS can transmit to your smartphone. For me I only need helmet mount and bike mount so the Contour was fine. I guess if you have other plans then more mounting options would be important.

I am know considering a rear facing camera as well.

Oh if you want to see a Contour HD in action on the road in a normal commuting environment, check out the Cyclist from Croydon's videos.

Regards
Andrew


I wouldn't mind trying that feature when they update the software/firmware for the camera. Mind you means I need an iPhone 3gs mount for my bike....
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image
Baalzamon
 
Posts: 4779
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Re: cameras?

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:18 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
Aushiker wrote:I am know considering a rear facing camera as well.

Oh if you want to see a Contour HD in action on the road in a normal commuting environment, check out the Cyclist from Croydon's videos.

Regards
Andrew

I wouldn't mind trying that feature when they update the software/firmware for the camera. Mind you means I need an iPhone 3gs mount for my bike....


Are you planning on watching while you ride? :lol: :wink:
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10540
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: cameras?

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:53 am

trailgumby wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:
Aushiker wrote:I am know considering a rear facing camera as well.

Oh if you want to see a Contour HD in action on the road in a normal commuting environment, check out the Cyclist from Croydon's videos.

Regards
Andrew

I wouldn't mind trying that feature when they update the software/firmware for the camera. Mind you means I need an iPhone 3gs mount for my bike....


Are you planning on watching while you ride? :lol: :wink:


It will make sure I'm shooting what I want it to shoot, however I would need to buy a Contour ConnectView accessory card all thanks to Apple....
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image
Baalzamon
 
Posts: 4779
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Re: cameras?

Postby Max » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:58 am

Aushiker wrote:Oh if you want to see a Contour HD in action on the road in a normal commuting environment, check out the Cyclist from Croydon's videos.


I think the Croydon Cyclist doth protest too much. Does he seem a little oversensitive to anyone else? Or have I lowered my expectations of motorists so much that his complaints seem like overreactions? Or is it just that the footage doesn't convey just how dangerous the actual situation was?

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
User avatar
Max
 
Posts: 2895
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:29 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: cameras?

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:27 am

Baalzamon wrote:It will make sure I'm shooting what I want it to shoot, however I would need to buy a Contour ConnectView accessory card all thanks to Apple....

Sure, but you don't actually need a bar mount for your phone to do that. Just check at the start by looking where you normally do, lift the phone into your field of view to confirm. aim lines up and then put it in your pocket. Looking at the phone on th bars whle riding wouldn't work that well, i'd have thought.
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10540
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: cameras?

Postby Nate » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:48 am

Laidlaym wrote:What's the mimimum specs for getting enough image detail, storage space (not likely to be an issue with short distance), handle bar mount with easy remove for security. Anything else I need to think about?
Mark


Its not that simple unfortunately...
as a rough guide i'd be looking 720p with about 8Gb of storage & weather "resistant" (for rainy days)
(of course i'd re-reccomend my mounts - 1 bolt & its off in <5sec)

As we discussed in the $10 camera thread, a huge number of cameras use the same internals anyway!
There is however different optics & processing chips which give HUGELY different results.

Night time performance seems to vary the most between similar specs
Look at these two - both 720p, similar lens specs (F3.2) on the camera module:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow968J146_I&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0KOA5aLK3o&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Also the mounting is HUGELY critical, if not the most important link in a bike mounted camera.
You can have all the resolution you want, but if you're getting 1080p of blurry shaky pixels - whats the use?
You need to get a "proven" system where you can see results in the conditions.
User avatar
Nate
 
Posts: 2775
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:49 pm

Re: cameras - the MiniDV MD91S

Postby Nate » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:59 am

ghop0man wrote:I ordered yesterday, and it arrived this morning by Express Post, the MiniDV also known as MD91S: http://www.idv.net.au/products/display/miniDV


Not a bad little product - it looks like its the same setup as the "torch/lipstick" camera i tested for UNSW ( http://www.rigidmount.com/university.html ), which has almost identical internals to Phils $10 camera (different processing chip, same camera module).
Same res, same MJPEG output, date/time overlay & very similar performance it seems.

You can typically get these for <$70 from china, the one i tested was $35 + postage (about $60 all up i think).
User avatar
Nate
 
Posts: 2775
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:49 pm

Re: cameras?

Postby jules21 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:06 am

nate, do you know where that eagle eye HD camera can be bought? i can find it here, but it doesn't have a purchase facility. it's difficult to find on the web, as there are a range of cctv cameras with the same name.
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 9063
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: cameras?

Postby davidk » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:54 am

jules21 wrote:nate, do you know where that eagle eye HD camera can be bought? i can find it here, but it doesn't have a purchase facility. it's difficult to find on the web, as there are a range of cctv cameras with the same name.


How about here: http://www.hootoo.com/1080p-hd-helmet-camcorder-extreme-hd119-p-82107.html
Image
User avatar
davidk
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:51 pm
Location: Adelaide, NE Suburbs, SA

Re: cameras?

Postby Nate » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:38 pm

jules21 wrote:nate, do you know where that eagle eye HD camera can be bought? i can find it here, but it doesn't have a purchase facility. it's difficult to find on the web, as there are a range of cctv cameras with the same name.


I'll PM you 2 suppliers out of China i've used...

BUT!!!
its NOT even water resistant!!! i can let you know what to do etc to get it there, but unless you seal it up - no rain!
probably the least water resistant camera i've used - BIG fogging issues
Mine also hasnt been 100% reliable after it got water in it - its hung a few times, but dunno if its due to water ingress or dodgy product, either way i couldnt put my name to it & sell it.
User avatar
Nate
 
Posts: 2775
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:49 pm

Re: cameras?

Postby Nate » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:46 pm

REPLACEABLE BATTERIES!!!

One thing i've noticed on EVERY camera i've used: if it has replaceable batteries (Li-on pack types, AA's etc wouldnt be affected), then any bumps & vibrations make the batteries momentarily loose contact with the terminals & the cameras power off.
Happened on EVERY cam i've tried that uses a battery pack.

You need to put a little "chock" or spacer behind the batteries & stop them from vibrating so much, similar to the mods described here:
http://www.rigidmount.com/battery_modifications.html
User avatar
Nate
 
Posts: 2775
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:49 pm

Re: cameras?

Postby jules21 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Nate wrote:BUT!!!
its NOT even water resistant!!! i can let you know what to do etc to get it there, but unless you seal it up - no rain!
probably the least water resistant camera i've used - BIG fogging issues
Mine also hasnt been 100% reliable after it got water in it - its hung a few times, but dunno if its due to water ingress or dodgy product, either way i couldnt put my name to it & sell it.

thanks nate. that contrasts a bit with the review on your site, which is pretty glowing. i assume you've had problems with it since you wrote the review?
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 9063
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: cameras?

Postby Nate » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:33 pm

jules21 wrote:thanks nate. that contrasts a bit with the review on your site, which is pretty glowing. i assume you've had problems with it since you wrote the review?


Correct - last stage was wet weather testing, had to wait for rain...
failure upon failure - i'll be updating the site soon :|
User avatar
Nate
 
Posts: 2775
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:49 pm

Re: cameras?

Postby brit_in_oz » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:04 am

Is the 'Eagle eye' some sort of copy of the drift nnovations camera, looks damn close....??
http://www.sportscamera.com.au/drift-in ... p-390.html
Don't mistake lack of talent for genius
brit_in_oz
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 9:04 pm
Location: Mount Waverley

Re: cameras?

Postby Nate » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:13 am

brit_in_oz wrote:Is the 'Eagle eye' some sort of copy of the drift nnovations camera, looks damn close....??
http://www.sportscamera.com.au/drift-in ... p-390.html


I can confirm it "looks" like it for sure...
I cant comment on the internals or performance of course, but most features are identical - biggest difference is the remote.
User avatar
Nate
 
Posts: 2775
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:49 pm

Re: cameras?

Postby GraemeL » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:27 pm

I have the GoPro HD. I think it is very good, there are a lot of mounts for it and it comes with a water proof case. they are also going to be releasing an LCD screen that plugs into the back of it and a Battery pack that plugs in the same and doubles the power. these are supposed to be released in Feb.

It's small and very easy to use.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL
 
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:47 pm
Location: Perth

Re: cameras?

Postby Nate » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:43 am

T7 Special - Camshot camera...
Special on this one at the moment for $60

But i'd be steering clear, as i suspected the mounting system is similar to what came with my eagle eye.
Where it "clips in" to the base - a lot of them are using this.
There's some play in the mount - which would make it close to useless mounted on the bike.

ANY amount of play in the mount when its bike mounted = HUGE troubles & really poor performance, helmet mount *might* be OK/average.
User avatar
Nate
 
Posts: 2775
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:49 pm

Next

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: slowK



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter
“Bicycles BNA on Strava

> FREE BNA Stickers