Video Camera who uses one?

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12496
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:02 pm

A rear facing GoPro is an option but means separate lights. And for dark riding, sports camera all struggle.

User avatar
Nate
Posts: 3122
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Nate » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:40 pm

AUbicycles wrote:A rear facing GoPro is an option but means separate lights. And for dark riding, sports camera all struggle.


the latest version of Mobius is EXTREMELY good in low light levels - compared to previous versions.
with a good light up front - visibility in the recording is excellent.

User avatar
Aushiker
Posts: 21978
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA
Contact:

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:44 pm

Nate wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:A rear facing GoPro is an option but means separate lights. And for dark riding, sports camera all struggle.


the latest version of Mobius is EXTREMELY good in low light levels - compared to previous versions.
with a good light up front - visibility in the recording is excellent.


If anyone is buying these from Mobius Action Cams there is a 5% discount code on offer ... ACTIONCAM-BUCKS
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

Cyclophiliac
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 am

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:54 pm

I'm getting pretty fed up with the GoPro mounts. The mount that clips into the helmet mount broke as I was clipping it in, just before leaving work. I'd only had it for about 6 months. What the hell do they make these from? Cheese? :roll: Perhaps I should consider another brand. My main requirements are: battery life and low-light performance.

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12496
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:46 pm

Aluminium mounts - expensive but generally more reliable.

Cyclophiliac
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 am

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Cyclophiliac » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:09 am

AUbicycles wrote:Aluminium mounts - expensive but generally more reliable.

I use a K-Edge aluminium mount for the rear-facing saddle-mounted GoPro, but I'm not aware of any such mounts for helmets. I mentioned in my previous post that it was the helmet mount that broke.

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12496
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:02 am

For the helmet it could be harder task.

GoPro and not very responsive - cycling is such a tiny part of their market and they have never put much focus - perhaps with the exception of major events/players even as a growing number of competitors enter the market.

The good thing is that the standard mounting used in GoPro is fairly widespread so it makes it much easier to improvise and even search for competitors mounts. Nothing comes to mind however...

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6967
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby find_bruce » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:25 am

The gopro helmet mounts are not exactly low profile, but there are plenty of alternatives eg

Image
Image

Available from all the unusual suspects

But why settle for a helmet mount when you can hold it with your teeth :|
Image

User avatar
Mububban
Posts: 1045
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:19 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Mububban » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:28 am

I think I need to try one of these alloy K-edge out front mounts for my Fly12 (GoPro mount), the plastic mounting arm that came with my bike doesn't hold the camera steady when going over bumpier terrain. It tends to eventually tip up and point skywards, even with the screw as tight as possible.


find_bruce wrote:But why settle for a helmet mount when you can hold it with your teeth :|
Image



Can you imagine how much drool you'd have running down your chin and neck hahaha. I wonder how many of them they sell :D
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

User avatar
Nate
Posts: 3122
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Nate » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:59 pm

Forget plastic - no matter what, it will fail.

the amount of energy going through mounts due to vibrations is considerable, & the constant flexing destroys anything plastic.

User avatar
Mububban
Posts: 1045
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:19 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Mububban » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:53 pm

Fly6(v) stopped again after filling the 32GB card. This was about 2/3 of the way into work with no fault beeps to let me know. It seems not to be looping reliably when it fills up. Lucky I didn't need any footage from the last part of my ride.

Formatting it once a week or so isn’t an onerous task but it’s annoying to have to do it, when one of the selling points of the device is that it can endlessly loop.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12496
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:35 pm

Well you should be able to loop and not have to format that regularly.

How are you formatting... a proper (full) format with the free SD Formatter application, or just a basic superficial format via the camera.

If the card has some issues, a full format (write to zeroes) is necessary.

Also wondering, what is the speed of your card? A big but slow card will eventually struggle. The SD card classes are actually a bit confusing and somewhere in BNA I went into detail. Wikipedia is a good reference to understand the different levels and the crux is that it is easy to make a mistake.

jasonc
Posts: 9410
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:23 am

My fly6 [v] died so i sent it back. Sadly, without tracking. Now its lost :(
Image

User avatar
Mububban
Posts: 1045
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:19 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Mububban » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:51 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Well you should be able to loop and not have to format that regularly.

How are you formatting... a proper (full) format with the free SD Formatter application, or just a basic superficial format via the camera.

If the card has some issues, a full format (write to zeroes) is necessary.

Also wondering, what is the speed of your card? A big but slow card will eventually struggle. The SD card classes are actually a bit confusing and somewhere in BNA I went into detail. Wikipedia is a good reference to understand the different levels and the crux is that it is easy to make a mistake.



It's a 32GB class 10 card. I've been formatting the cards on either Windows or Mac depending on if I'm at work or home.

I'll give the SD Formatter software a go.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12496
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:13 pm

SD Formatter is the way to go - it really needs to be a deep level format.

As a reference for others - here is the wikipedia entry for the Speed Classes for SD Cards.

User avatar
PiratePete
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:04 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby PiratePete » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:47 pm

Mububban wrote:Fly6(v) stopped again after filling the 32GB card. This was about 2/3 of the way into work with no fault beeps to let me know. It seems not to be looping reliably when it fills up. Lucky I didn't need any footage from the last part of my ride.

Formatting it once a week or so isn’t an onerous task but it’s annoying to have to do it, when one of the selling points of the device is that it can endlessly loop.


I suspect it will be either a formatting issue or the card itself, or a contact issue within the camera. I was asked to test a 8GB card over a year ago now by the folks at Cycliq. I do not know what brand or specification it carries as it is totally blank. I believe it is what they are currently shipping with the Fly6.

I formatted it once when I received it using SD formatter on my Mac, it has now ridden with me for around 7500km untouched. I couldn't imagine just how fragmented it must be... The request was to test it to death, turns out to be a difficult task which probably won't reach it's ultimate result with the Fly6 coming off the bike very soon to thrash the new Fly6ce.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: warthog1