Video Camera who uses one?

jasonc

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby jasonc » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:16 pm

mmc22 wrote:
jasonc wrote:sad day. i think my fly6 is going to die soon. the charging light has been on for ~24 hours now (whilst plugged in and charging)

:(
same thing happened to mine... eventually wouldn't hold charge. Contacted them. sent it back and they sent me a new one. Probably more than 12 months use before something went wrong.
oddly enough, today it's stopped charging. am doing a longer ride tomorrow so will see how long it lasts

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:30 am

My Original Fly 6 is down to 40min before camera is off and a couple of hours before its dead....It just needs to hang on for a month or 2 and will pull it apart and try and replace the battery
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Nate

Postby Nate » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:32 pm

ItsDank wrote: LOL those guys love cyclists. Can just see myself getting roasted in the comments section already :p
oh - no sirens?
and why isnt he in the far right lane if he wants to overtake - its an offence to do it in the left lane!?

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:41 pm

Nate wrote:oh - no sirens?
and why isnt he in the far right lane if he wants to overtake - its an offence to do it in the left lane!?
Don't know about NSW but up here the introduction of the 1/1.5m rule relaxed the requirement of one vehicle per lane, so now a car and bicycle are permitted within the one lane providing that the prescribed space is maintained. So a ruling that is supposed to make it safer is really a relaxation. And it's still not policed...
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:55 pm

Rule no 1. Unless you are ready for some really dire 'opinions' don't post to dash cams Australia. Actually they won't take my vids but Dangerous drivers caught on dash cam will. Comments are what you'd expect due to the woeful education and deterrent system (i.e. None) we currently have in Vic.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:59 pm

cancan64 wrote:My Original Fly 6 is down to 40min before camera is off and a couple of hours before its dead....It just needs to hang on for a month or 2 and will pull it apart and try and replace the battery
My (version 2.5 - i.e. it has "cycliq.com" instead of "fly6" on the side)) unit is down to about 35-45 minutes before it stops now. This, coupled with the poor mounting system, has my less than keen to get another Fly6. I am tempted to double up on the Shimano cam and mount one under the seat. The only problem is that a decent K-Edge mount would cost almost as much as the camera!
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Cycliq

Postby Cycliq » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:01 am

nezumi wrote:
cancan64 wrote:My Original Fly 6 is down to 40min before camera is off and a couple of hours before its dead....It just needs to hang on for a month or 2 and will pull it apart and try and replace the battery
My (version 2.5 - i.e. it has "cycliq.com" instead of "fly6" on the side)) unit is down to about 35-45 minutes before it stops now. This, coupled with the poor mounting system, has my less than keen to get another Fly6. I am tempted to double up on the Shimano cam and mount one under the seat. The only problem is that a decent K-Edge mount would cost almost as much as the camera!
Guys - have you contacted cycliq.com/support and logged a ticket to see if we can help? While the original model would be well out of warranty....it's worth asking the support team what they can do for a loyal customer! With the new model, if it's in warranty and not performing as it should, the support team will get you sorted!

Ride safe!

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:40 pm

Cycliq wrote:Guys - have you contacted cycliq.com/support and logged a ticket to see if we can help? While the original model would be well out of warranty....it's worth asking the support team what they can do for a loyal customer! With the new model, if it's in warranty and not performing as it should, the support team will get you sorted!

Ride safe!
I contacted them a bit over a year ago....sent me a checklist which I went through and it worked fine after that....then worked out the card was not in correctly hence I was getting life.... will look at changing the battery and then look at options from there....definitely needed now that I am in Auckland... so many near misses every commute
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

tabb

Postby tabb » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:01 pm

I'm sure it's been mentioned previously - but does anyone have any idea when the Fly6 will be in-stock? Has been unavailable for months.

Or are there other suitable alternatives that won't cost me 500 beer tokens?

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:30 pm

tabb wrote:I'm sure it's been mentioned previously - but does anyone have any idea when the Fly6 will be in-stock? Has been unavailable for months.

Or are there other suitable alternatives that won't cost me 500 beer tokens?
New model in the wings maybe......

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:26 pm

Locally or via online?

tabb

Postby tabb » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:38 pm

Anywhere mate. All out of stock and same deal on the cycliq website. Sent them a message today as well and the response was "early september" :?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:10 pm

The New Cycliq Fly6 called Fly6[v] has just been launched - $199
https://cycliq.com.au/products/fly6

It has a Velcro mount which is a big difference and will be interesting to see how it differs.

The format appears more compact that the gen2, but I would have to look into the details. It is 720p (still with AVI files) so this stays the same and it does not appear to have the app connectability.

A lot of people will welcome this mount as you can already assume it will be more robust. I will be interested to see if thethering is necessary and also interested to see need velcro straps that wont inadvertently rub against my knicks... velcro and polyester is a bad combination.

For curiosity, this was announced over the newsletter and I didn't ask or wasn't informed earlier about the release... but interesting to see the speculation.
Cycling is in my BNA

tabb

Postby tabb » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:11 am

Yeah got the promo email last night too, was just coming back here to update the thread myself :)

stretts

Postby stretts » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:44 am

hmmmm mount looks a little basic, but have only really seen one image.

li2099

Postby li2099 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:40 pm

Saw this email today but disappointed nothing major.
Oh well, just means I keep using the existing gen 2.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:05 pm

li2099, I think you just want new goodies. A successive update rather than major overhaul can be a good move.

If the mount is basic, but work, then this is a plus. It may overcome some of the challenges of the rubber mount.
Cycling is in my BNA

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:49 pm

Hi guys, I am looking for some tech advice. I bought a Shimano Camera from PBK during the recent sale. I have charged it up but can't connect it to my iphone until I update it to the latest firmware version.
I have connected the camera to my Mac, and it is recognised as an external drive. I have downloaded and double clicked the UPDATE.bin file from Shimano's website and am supposed to copy this to the micro sd card (root folder). It won't let me do this (there is a circle with a diagonal bar across it when I hover over the destination folder, and copy and paste doesn't work either). The micro sd card is used, but I formatted it on my Mac (FAT32) before use and, once in the camera, the root drive appears as "DCIM". Anyone with more tech savvy than I have any ideas?
Thanks in advance

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:33 pm

redsonic wrote:Hi guys, I am looking for some tech advice. I bought a Shimano Camera from PBK during the recent sale. I have charged it up but can't connect it to my iphone until I update it to the latest firmware version.
I have connected the camera to my Mac, and it is recognised as an external drive. I have downloaded and double clicked the UPDATE.bin file from Shimano's website and am supposed to copy this to the micro sd card (root folder). It won't let me do this (there is a circle with a diagonal bar across it when I hover over the destination folder, and copy and paste doesn't work either). The micro sd card is used, but I formatted it on my Mac (FAT32) before use and, once in the camera, the root drive appears as "DCIM". Anyone with more tech savvy than I have any ideas?
Thanks in advance
I've got the Shimano camera. If you plug the camera into your computer, it is in read only mode - you can't update anything. I use a little USB adapter which you insert the SD into, then plug the adapter into your computer. Then it shows up as a normal writable drive.

I gave up on using the Shimano android app - it was such a pain to connect to the camera, I decided not to waste my life any further on the stupid thing.

I like the camera - it has recorded some beautiful rides and some near-death experiences. Will probably get a Fly when it karks it, though.
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:56 pm

Thanks for the tip, Grimbo. It was a read only file :oops:
Now that I have transferred the update to the root file on the micro sd using my computer, the file doesn't want to write to the camera. The website explains that this happens automatically, but it aint happening. I really would like to pair with my iphone for the free angle feature as I will be using it on multiple bikes. I considered the fly12, but the Shimano was a bargain at less than $100 from PBK. Not looking so much like a bargain now, though. I have emailed Shimano for help.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:29 pm

AUbicycles wrote:li2099, I think you just want new goodies. A successive update rather than major overhaul can be a good move.

If the mount is basic, but work, then this is a plus. It may overcome some of the challenges of the rubber mount.
I rode about a 1000km with a prototype a few months back mounted on three different bikes. The mount footage is more stable, and the simple, quick mount just worked. I had no issues with the Velcro rubbing on anything. The only issue I had was on my Merida Crossway Hybrid which has a quick release leaver for the seat post, the prototype's casing didn't allow me to locate the camera as low as the original Gen2 camera due to this QR clamp. I ended up rotating the QR clamp 180° and this resolved that first world problem. On my road bike, and my downhill MTB, it worked well. I think this new mounting method is ideal for the commuter or the person who has one camera and multiple bikes.

I reluctantly gave the prototype back (it was a loaner), as it is a big improvement on the slide in mount with the rubber bands, which I use two, (one being swapped between the MTB and the Hybrid, the other on main steed).
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

Nate

Postby Nate » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:03 pm

AUbicycles wrote:The New Cycliq Fly6 called Fly6[v] has just been launched - $199
It has a Velcro mount which is a big difference and will be interesting to see how it differs.
Whats the back of the camera made out of? hard plastic?

If its hard plastic then you MUST put some sponge/rubber between it & your frame, otherwise its going to rub through it!

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:32 pm

Nate wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:The New Cycliq Fly6 called Fly6[v] has just been launched - $199
Whats the back of the camera made out of? hard plastic?

If its hard plastic then you MUST put some sponge/rubber between it & your frame, otherwise its going to rub through it!

It comes with vary size of rubber wedges
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:11 pm

i just started using the new revised version of the Fly6.
it's using the same rubber wedge on the back of the camera.

the new fly6 unit now has 2 different surface textures - a rubber-y grey surface around the switches and velcro loop.
the rest of the unit has a smooth (dare i say slippery?) matte surface.
it is easier and more comfortable to hold the camera by the grey rubber surface.

with the previous v2 Fly6 rubber straps - i often found my FLY6 to slip sideways during a ride, often slipping to the left (ie lens pointing towards direction of the traffic, instead of pointing straight to the back of the bike). the velcro seems to secure it better and has not slipped in the few hour-long commutes i've had. pleasantly surprised.

it's an incremental improvement for sure.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:11 pm

Not happy with the Fly12 today. I noticed it was off halfway through my ride and turned it back on, and just checked the footage now.

It ran from 8:01 to 8:43 on 1080p/50fps and high flash, then turned off and I didn't hear it turn itself off. Sunny and 20 degrees so can't blame the weather.

I've recently updated the firmware so not too happy about this. Might have to contact Cycliq.

In comparison, the gen1 Fly6 ran all that time on maximum brightness and still gave me 2 beeps when I turned it off.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!