Video Camera who uses one?

GraemeL

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby GraemeL » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:27 pm

master6 wrote:808 #16 went 24 minutes today. This is slightly better than the usual 20 minutes. Today I was on a smoother road than usual. I have had it run for around 36 minutes a couple of times when mounted on the side fence.

I wonder whether vibrations and/or continuously changing scenery use the battery more quickly?

Today I ordered the auxiliary battery pack, which is supposed to be good for 1200mah. Given that the battery in the #16 is rated at 250mah, and seems good for 20 minutes, can I expect an extra 100 minutes with the auxiliary? The ebay listing suggests an extra 200 minutes. I wont complain If I get 100 minutes.
I get an extra 2.5 hours recording time using the battery with the Jumbo.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

newbikeorupgrade

Postby newbikeorupgrade » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:30 pm

Can any of the software pan frame by frame?

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:32 pm

johnm_oz wrote:
dclnmurray wrote:Now that rigidmount is not making mounts for this camera http://www.oo.com.au/Otek-720p-High-Def ... P38528.cfm
Does anyone have any suggestions for other mounts?

cheers

Dave
Yep, I'm interested, too. Just recieved the selfsame camera in the mail today. I've got some ideas for a mount, but if I can get a commercial one for a reasonable price it'll be neater. I'm going to have a look at handheld monopods and the like, too, to see if any can be adapted easily

Cheers
JM
Heres a thought.......

If the camera has a Tripod Mount you could use that. In the post above, instead of using the L bracket, Dual Lock and bolt, you just need a 1/4inch bolt through the flat bar, so the thread of the bolt is facing up, screw the camera onto that. Although because the camerasits uprightit may tend to wobble?

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:36 pm

newbikeorupgrade wrote:Can any of the software pan frame by frame?
I know the program I use allows me to scroll frame by frame, This allows for more precise editing, I am not sure about the freebie programs.
Graeme

johnm_oz

Postby johnm_oz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:20 pm

GraemeL wrote:
johnm_oz wrote:
dclnmurray wrote:Now that rigidmount is not making mounts for this camera http://www.oo.com.au/Otek-720p-High-Def ... P38528.cfm

cheers

Dave
Yep, I'm interested, too. Just recieved the selfsame camera in the mail today. I've got some ideas for a mount, but if I can get a commercial one for a reasonable price it'll be neater. I'm going to have a look at handheld monopods and the like, too, to see if any can be adapted easily

Cheers
JM
Heres a thought.......

If the camera has a Tripod Mount you could use that. In the post above, instead of using the L bracket, Dual Lock and bolt, you just need a 1/4inch bolt through the flat bar, so the thread of the bolt is facing up, screw the camera onto that. Although because the camerasits uprightit may tend to wobble?

Graeme
Thanks for the ideas, Graeme, yes the Otek camera does have a tripod mount. Your sketch comes close to what I had in mind, but I was trying to work out how to support the camera on the lense plain to make it more stable- Dual-lock will do that perfectly. What I'm thinking of now is a large plastic 'p' clip- the sort that eleco's use to secure cables- to clamp on the handlebar, bolted to a small rightangle bracket to carry the tripod mount screw, and some dual lock on the flat of the 'p' clip to support the top. I'm not great with drawings, but I'll have a go and see if I can come up with something.

Cheers
JM

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:27 pm

Provided you can find one big enough for the bars.....

Using the P clip to secure the mount to the bars, using a bolt that will serve as the tripod mount for the camera, then cut an L bracket to suite and glue Dual Lock onto it,this will be the support for the camera.

So you have the one bolt, it will hold the camera and the L bracket in place.

Graeme

johnm_oz

Postby johnm_oz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:46 pm

GraemeL wrote:Provided you can find one big enough for the bars.....

Using the P clip to secure the mount to the bars, using a bolt that will serve as the tripod mount for the camera, then cut an L bracket to suite and glue Dual Lock onto it,this will be the support for the camera.

So you have the one bolt, it will hold the camera and the L bracket in place.

Graeme
Yep, one bolt to tighten the 'P'' clip and hold the 'L' bracket, and the tripod bolt to hold teh camera to teh 'L'bracket. The drawing's not exactly in proportion, but hopefully it'll get the idea across. The camera has to be front on to the bracket, with the lens peeping over the top because the back is covered in controls and LCD.

Cheers
JM

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:31 pm

I got an Otek 550 off my eldest for Xmas but only got my Rigidmount last week, musta been Nates last proddy run.

To keep me going in the meantime I MacGyvered a mount using a handlebar reflector mount, four zipties, a suitable bolt and two nuts and a small bit of neoprene foam. It worked perfectly. I could maybe get some pics of the concept scratched up tomorrow it anyones interested?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

johnm_oz

Postby johnm_oz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:45 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I got an Otek 550 off my eldest for Xmas but only got my Rigidmount last week, musta been Nates last proddy run.

To keep me going in the meantime I MacGyvered a mount using a handlebar reflector mount, four zipties, a suitable bolt and two nuts and a small bit of neoprene foam. It worked perfectly. I could maybe get some pics of the concept scratched up tomorrow it anyones interested?
Please do...

Cheers
JM

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:07 pm

Will do John.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:59 pm

Well I had some PC-Metal lying around and thought well I got the camera mounts now to go on the rear but I don't actually have anything to screw it onto. I took half the pc-metal and wrapped it around my rear rack and moulded it up so it has a nice little flat platform. Looked at it and tested flexing and it had a little bit so put a bit more reinforcement into a second band near the top of the rack. Once that had set drilled a hole thru it ready for an appropriate screw to use.

With the remaining pc-metal I formed another mount around my carradice saddle bag support and I have done similar to that. Need to get the right screw for it now before I take it out for a test run. The camera will be secured with a secondary mount to save it in case something happens to the one I made.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:46 pm

i have a mount from rigidmount for this, but i never got round to buying the actual camera. i will send it to if you if donate cost ($15 from memory) to my charity - subject to postage cost (no idea what it would be).

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:06 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Well I had some PC-Metal lying around and thought well I got the camera mounts now to go on the rear but I don't actually have anything to screw it onto. I took half the pc-metal and wrapped it around my rear rack and moulded it up so it has a nice little flat platform. Looked at it and tested flexing and it had a little bit so put a bit more reinforcement into a second band near the top of the rack. Once that had set drilled a hole thru it ready for an appropriate screw to use.

With the remaining pc-metal I formed another mount around my carradice saddle bag support and I have done similar to that. Need to get the right screw for it now before I take it out for a test run. The camera will be secured with a secondary mount to save it in case something happens to the one I made.
Sounds interesting, can you post some photos of it?

Graeme

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:01 pm

Here we go, MacGyver mount v1.3 for the Otek 550 camera...

It was just thrown together for demo purposes, the working model was finished a little more neatly. The dual ziptie arrangement to steady the camera is not the best on this demo rig, done properly there's sufficient side clearance to not foul the battery hatch and cable port cover during fitting and removal of the camera. The pale muck is BluTack residue from where the neoprene foam was mounted, it protected the camera body from the plastic and methinks possibly absorbed some vibration.

Hope this helps.

Shaun

EDIT Don't forget the lanyard for extra security.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:53 pm

Just pics of my mount, gotta get the bolt for it. Suggestions would be appreciated, but I'm thinking something involving a wingnut would be handy.
That is on the rear of my Masi Speciale CX
The above 2 are taken on my Thorn Raven Nomad

Lanyard is going to secure it in both cases. If for some reason it does break, I'm going to use the hole on my rack to screw another mount onto that

newbikeorupgrade

Postby newbikeorupgrade » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:32 pm

I got virtual dub but no mp4 support anything else recommended?
Also is there a way to combine frames to get more clarity/sharpness out of images?

johnm_oz

Postby johnm_oz » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:32 am

Mulger bill wrote:Here we go, MacGyver mount v1.3 for the Otek 550 camera...

It was just thrown together for demo purposes, the working model was finished a little more neatly. The dual ziptie arrangement to steady the camera is not the best on this demo rig, done properly there's sufficient side clearance to not foul the battery hatch and cable port cover during fitting and removal of the camera. The pale muck is BluTack residue from where the neoprene foam was mounted, it protected the camera body from the plastic and methinks possibly absorbed some vibration.

Hope this helps.

Shaun

EDIT Don't forget the lanyard for extra security.
p
Thanks, Shaun, that's heading towards what I had in mind.

Tried mine out today just rubberbannded to the bar, it certainly needs something a bit more solid

Cheers
JM

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:22 am

The 2 mounts I made with pc-metal are rock solid. I can move the bike just by pushing it forward or up and down. But still lanyard will be used :)

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:32 am

For those that want a cheap Go Pro they are back in stock here

If you buy one use hbf in the coupon code to get 5% off.

norbs

Postby norbs » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:55 am

Mugglechops wrote:For those that want a cheap Go Pro they are back in stock here

Nice find Lewy.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:18 am

norbs wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:For those that want a cheap Go Pro they are back in stock here

Nice find Lewy.
And I finally bought one. Good prices on bits too compared to Aus.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:08 am

How much is shipping tho?

I got a Naked for $230 at LBS.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:24 am

Crawf wrote:How much is shipping tho?

I got a Naked for $230 at LBS.
I just paid $366 delivered for a Hero 2 motorsports with a chesty mount and bike mount.

The naked is priced about the same here and the US as its the old model. The 2 is RRP of $399 here and no one discounts them. US retail is $299.

khendar

Postby khendar » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:15 pm

Finally got out for a ride with my 808 camera today. I think I need to rethink my mount a little bit. The video I got was incredibly shaky with a strange wobble effect. I'm guessing it had something to do with the rolling shutter on the camera and the framerate as much as the roughness of the road. I'm going to try velcroing the camera to my helmet and fiddling with some of the settings.

Never mind the music. I was messing around with Movie Maker :P

The mount:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:55 pm

Wouldn't be some sort of interference from the other electronics on the bar? :?
London Boy 29/12/2011