Video Camera who uses one?

VRE

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby VRE » Mon May 20, 2013 9:04 am

Have any of you mounted a GoPro Hero camera pointing to the rear? I've just ordered the Hero 3 Black, and was considering using my current Hero 1 as a rear camera and the new one on the helmet pointing forwards. Unfortunately I can't use the seat post because my saddlebag is there, and I couldn't mount the camera on the rear of the saddlebag, because it would bounce too much. So I was considering finding a mount for the right seat stay, roughly between the top tube and the brake caliper. Because of this tube's diameter, a handlebar mount may not work, so any suggestions?

On another note: while searching for GoPro mounting options, I found one of the undocumented features of the Hero 3:

Yes, the undocumented feature is sentience <<< cue War of the Worlds theme music >>> , so be very afraid! :shock:

VRE

Postby VRE » Mon May 20, 2013 9:05 am

Actually, I just thought of a possibility: use the handlebar/seatpost mount, but with a very thick rubber strip inside the mount, to securely clamp it to the seat stay :D . Any other suggestions would still be appreciated, though.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Mon May 20, 2013 10:18 am

InTheWoods wrote:
clydesmcdale wrote:Anyone had any experience trying to get a jumbo 808 to power on after it failing to?
Try plugging it back into a computer. When mine got wet and died, it only came back to life once I plugged it in.
I think it's my SD card. Took it out then tried plugging the camera in then taking it out again. Camera now power's on fine. But with the card in give me nothing. Plugged in the card reader and inserted the card. Got the dreaded USB device not recognized... so now gotta fix that somehow. Having no luck with different ports or computers.

Any suggestions?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon May 20, 2013 12:18 pm

VRE wrote:Actually, I just thought of a possibility: use the handlebar/seatpost mount, but with a very thick rubber strip inside the mount, to securely clamp it to the seat stay :D . Any other suggestions would still be appreciated, though.
And a lanyard/fishing wire connecting the camera itself to the bicycle as the GoPro handlebar mount will probably fail at some point. We usually count in weeks, not months, for the failure. :oops:

VRE

Postby VRE » Mon May 20, 2013 12:42 pm

Summernight wrote:
VRE wrote:Actually, I just thought of a possibility: use the handlebar/seatpost mount, but with a very thick rubber strip inside the mount, to securely clamp it to the seat stay :D . Any other suggestions would still be appreciated, though.
And a lanyard/fishing wire connecting the camera itself to the bicycle as the GoPro handlebar mount will probably fail at some point. We usually count in weeks, not months, for the failure. :oops:
Thanks for the lanyard tip: I'll remember that :) . Are these handlebar mounts really that unreliable? Based purely on the pictures I saw, they looked sturdy enough. What broke on yours?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon May 20, 2013 1:30 pm

VRE wrote:
Summernight wrote:
Thanks for the lanyard tip: I'll remember that :) . Are these handlebar mounts really that unreliable? Based purely on the pictures I saw, they looked sturdy enough. What broke on yours?
Commuting to work on paved roads attached to my handlebar (approx. 10kms per weekday) is what broke it. 4 weeks it lasted. That is it.

No off-road to speak of. The part that usually breaks is the connector that turns the camera around so it isn't pointing sideways. It just doesn't seem to like vibrations and the vibrations of normal riding sheared it through.

Pictures here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=37405&p=944861#p944861" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon May 20, 2013 4:06 pm

possibly a dumb question - and sorry if it is... where do you buy lanyards? paper shops? I have no idea. :oops:

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon May 20, 2013 4:33 pm

cp123 wrote:possibly a dumb question - and sorry if it is... where do you buy lanyards? paper shops? I have no idea. :oops:
Officeworks have them

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon May 20, 2013 4:49 pm

cp123 wrote:possibly a dumb question - and sorry if it is... where do you buy lanyards? paper shops? I have no idea. :oops:
$2.00 shops, ebay, Officeworks as mentioned etc etc.

Andrew

VRE

Postby VRE » Mon May 20, 2013 5:44 pm

<<<wrong thread, moved to the correct one>>>
Last edited by VRE on Mon May 20, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon May 20, 2013 5:45 pm

Or get some from your marketing department (if you have that). Mine was a freebie from someone who worked at the Melbourne Cup Carnival. I have lots of others from various things/promos/companies spruiking their business.

I currently use a hot pink lanyard for my office keys that was a freebie. It makes me happy. :)

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon May 20, 2013 9:31 pm

VRE wrote:Have any of you mounted a GoPro Hero camera pointing to the rear? I've just ordered the Hero 3 Black, and was considering using my current Hero 1 as a rear camera and the new one on the helmet pointing forwards. Unfortunately I can't use the seat post because my saddlebag is there, and I couldn't mount the camera on the rear of the saddlebag, because it would bounce too much. So I was considering finding a mount for the right seat stay, roughly between the top tube and the brake caliper. Because of this tube's diameter, a handlebar mount may not work, so any suggestions?
Yes and I tried it for the first time on Sunday. I'll post the youtube when I upload the two descents I did at work tomorrow (enormous files only about 12 mins total).

I use KEdge mounts front and back (alloy) as I don't trust the GoPro plastic mounts at all after one of mine broke and many others here and elsewhere have reported the same.

Cheers, Simon
Sent from my mApple myPad using Tapatalk HD
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon May 20, 2013 9:33 pm

VRE wrote:
My handlebar mount must be a tough one. I have done numerous rides with it including one 11 hour epic and it still hasn't broken.

Maybe it will now :D

And a multi mounted one on my fixie

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon May 20, 2013 11:59 pm

Summernight wrote:We usually count in weeks, not months, for the failure. :oops:
We all cheer like a mob after a few beers at a cricket game when someone hits a six whenever someone posts a photo of their GoPro handlebar mount results on here :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:54 pm

thanks guys! i didn't even think of those kinds of shops.

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Tue May 21, 2013 2:57 pm

cp123 wrote:thanks guys! i didn't even think of those kinds of shops.
Just a thought, K-mart or tackle shop wire trace or nylon leader with swivel and clip?
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue May 21, 2013 7:24 pm

A replacement nut for your skewer can turn it into a handlebar size.

View item

Cheers,

Cameron

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Tue May 21, 2013 7:33 pm

The bike shed Mortdale are having a special on the liquid image EGO cameras, at $99. Having been less that satisfied with the 'action cam' I use on the rear of the commuter, I ordered one when the wife wasn't looking. Last night I whipped up a rear mount for it and tested it using my existing EGO - pics below. Hacked a 1/4" gutter bolt for the screw mount, but have some proper d-ring screws on order from ebay. New unit arrived today and is being charged for it's maiden voyage tomorrow. Link to the special: http://bit.ly/12IHxsG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Noted retail price sticker was $245.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue May 21, 2013 9:12 pm

Mobile phones used to come with them, I've used one of those, it has a nice thin bit to slip through the case and the lanyard bit is elastic so I can stretch it around th e mount for security. It's fairly short too so can't tangle too much.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 22, 2013 3:37 pm

Pushy wrote:
cp123 wrote:thanks guys! i didn't even think of those kinds of shops.
Just a thought, K-mart or tackle shop wire trace or nylon leader with swivel and clip?
Great idea. Thanks.

Andrew

cloudwarrior

Postby cloudwarrior » Wed May 29, 2013 9:57 pm

Does anyone know if the #16 808 camera can do motion activation?

Reason I ask is I saw a program for changing the settings and it had a tick box for motion

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

takai

Postby takai » Wed May 29, 2013 10:24 pm

Anyone got a good solution for mounting a Contour to the side of a helmet?

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Wed May 29, 2013 10:44 pm

takai wrote:Anyone got a good solution for mounting a Contour to the side of a helmet?
I think Christine Tham did a few thousand pages ago, do a search, it should pop up! 8)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed May 29, 2013 11:59 pm

feral grasshopper wrote:
takai wrote:Anyone got a good solution for mounting a Contour to the side of a helmet?
I think Christine Tham did a few thousand pages ago, do a search, it should pop up! 8)
Wasn't that a Sony?

Similar shaped tho' so there might be something useful in it...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Thu May 30, 2013 1:00 am

Mulger bill wrote:
feral grasshopper wrote:
Wasn't that a Sony?

Similar shaped tho' so there might be something useful in it...
U r quite correct MB! I bow to ur superior powers of recall :mrgreen: :wink: :oops: