Video Camera who uses one?

queequeg

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby queequeg » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:38 am

PiratePete wrote: The battery is internal, the unit is sealed. The USB and SD ports are located under a cover at the rear of the camera, similar to the Fly6. Easily accessible and no need to remove it from the bike.
actually, I should have clarified...at home I have a power point next to my bikes and charge my USB Stuff on the bike, but when I get to work I don't leave my cameras attached to the bike for obvious reasons.
The problem with the HERO was you have to unscrew the whole contraption from the mount, which also means losing the calibration for recording (since it has no display you can only check after the fact).

Does the fly12 easily detach without removing the mount? My Garmin clips into a cradle, which stays on the bike. It adds to the overall stack height of the unit, but it is very handy.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:53 am

queequeg wrote:Does the fly12 easily detach without removing the mount? My Garmin clips into a cradle, which stays on the bike. It adds to the overall stack height of the unit, but it is very handy.
I see said the blind man. :D It attaches via a standard gopro type mount. As shown a page or two ago it does ship with a garmin 1/4 turn adapter which could be utilized to make life easier, however this adapter is plastic and I worry that it may not be durable given the weight of the camera (~230g) so I'd make sure that a lanyard is employed.

When I get my Fly12 I'm going to score a line across the bracket to enable quick and easy calibration, currently I'm using the 'spirit level' in my iphone compass app to set it to level which gets the tram lines correctly orientated.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:11 pm

PiratePete wrote:
attaches via a standard gopro type mount. As shown a page or two ago it does ship with a garmin 1/4 turn adapter which could be utilized to make life easier, however this adapter is plastic and I worry that it may not be durable given the weight of the camera (~230g) so I'd make sure that a lanyard is employed.
This is my current setup:

Garmin have ditched this for the new VIRB series and gone with a standard GoPro system, so I would have the same issues with those.
I am interested in the long run time of the Fly12, so I am keeping a watch on them.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Did a full run of the fly 6 this morning - 4 hours 15 minutes with lights on
tapatalk for Windows Phone. For when you want it done right

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:00 pm

PiratePete wrote:
I see said the blind man. :D It attaches via a standard gopro type mount. As shown a page or two ago it does ship with a garmin 1/4 turn adapter which could be utilized to make life easier, however this adapter is plastic and I worry that it may not be durable given the weight of the camera (~230g) so I'd make sure that a lanyard is employed.
It would be better if they supply the spare 1/4 turn adapter for Fly12 in case that it might break one day soon when removing it many times when not in use while parking bikes in public spaces. Just like Fly6 had the spare ladder straps with it.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:39 pm

It's just a 1/4 turn Garmin/GoPro adapter, not a Cycliq specific part.

I'd expect them to be commonly available (but I haven't looked).
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

Cycliq

Postby Cycliq » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:36 am

Clarification there - it is a specific mount we have designed and unique to boot! Having had feedback from many people testing the prototypes, we are finding the least amount of testers are using this adaptor...most are using the supplied handle bar mount or opting for a 3rd party mount where you can have Fly12 mounted directly below your Garmin computer (for example).

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:26 am

PiratePete wrote:It's just a 1/4 turn Garmin/GoPro adapter, not a Cycliq specific part.

I'd expect them to be commonly available (but I haven't looked).
Oops - Looks like I was wrong on that one. [emoji15]

However you can source a similar alternatives from the interwebs, eg:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/F6ZD5E ... pter-mount" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think utilising a Garmin style mount is a really good concept for the commuting cyclist who have to leave their bikes in a not so secure environment. I personally don't have this problem, so have used the bar mount supplied to attach my Fly12. This requires removal of a thumb screw (aka GoPro style) to remove. This is a metal to metal to bar mounting system which I personally feel is more secure and less likely to fail.

Remember to use a lanyard whichever mount you use, just in case...
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:33 pm

Speaking of lanyards, or tethers - does anyone have a good source for something cheap and suitable?

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:48 pm

Cycliq wrote:Clarification there - it is a specific mount we have designed and unique to boot! Having had feedback from many people testing the prototypes, we are finding the least amount of testers are using this adaptor...most are using the supplied handle bar mount or opting for a 3rd party mount where you can have Fly12 mounted directly below your Garmin computer (for example).
I suspect once it goes into wide release, there will be a lot more commuters running the units.

And this is where there is a strong requirement for quick and easy removal from the bike when you lock it up at the office bike racks.

Just me thinking out loud, but is it the case that most of the prototype riders are recreational rather than transport cyclists?

Keen to hear what mounting options the commuters are using.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:37 pm

Herzog - like you my bike location is secure so I won't need to remove the camera
tapatalk for Windows Phone. For when you want it done right

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:31 pm

Howzat wrote:Speaking of lanyards, or tethers - does anyone have a good source for something cheap and suitable?
I use fishing wire trace - clip on each end, clip one end to the camera loop other end around secure piece of bike, job done $5!
Anything you can do, I can do slower

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:12 pm

I received a 'Pre-production' Fly12 yesterday (the ones with the optic issue) and gave it a run today. With the moderate temperature here in Brissie I had no quality issues with the vision. The guys at Cycliq have moved quickly to resolve this issue and hopefully I'll receive another camera tomorrow which will be the one to roll of the production line (i.e. without the optic issue). All being well (read, if the couriers don't stuff the delivery), I'll have both on the bike for a good test in parallel on the weekend. 8)
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:08 pm

PiratePete wrote:I received a 'Pre-production' Fly12 yesterday (the ones with the optic issue) and gave it a run today. With the moderate temperature here in Brissie I had no quality issues with the vision. The guys at Cycliq have moved quickly to resolve this issue and hopefully I'll receive another camera tomorrow which will be the one to roll of the production line (i.e. without the optic issue). All being well (read, if the couriers don't stuff the delivery), I'll have both on the bike for a good test in parallel on the weekend. 8)
Update from the project just in. They are looking at shipping to kick starter backers mid April. As a backer I'm keen to get mine, but also keen for them to do a good job so will wait patiently. :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:12 pm

won't have it for 3 peaks now :(

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:07 pm

Look what's just shown up:

It's ships mounted on the 1/4 turn Garmin/tripod mount.

This is the one which has the new optics. I'm going to run this in parallel with the one from the version where the issue was observed to compare.

I could get a job with Google, with three cameras on the bike...Google bike path view [emoji6]
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:30 am

I had a new fly 2 that gave up the ghost a few months ago as the usb connector housing thingy fell out. anyway, cycliq got 10/10 as they gave me a new one as it was within the 12 month warranty period.

with the first one I could detach the light from the mount simply by sliding it into the bracket thingy left on the bike. this one new I can't and I have to undo the rubber straps each night. unfortunately last night the top rubber strap broke in my hands. I wish there was a 'normal' mount like a cateye or similar that was easy to just click the light into and out of. better go order another strap. that's not a gripe just a statement.

:lol:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:08 pm

This is a video with overlays and as the GPS data and video are from two different sources, and connected, I am describing the process for people who are interested.

If you have independently captured GPS ride data and bike cam footage, the free Garmin VIRB Edit(PC & Mac) software can allow you to combine and create overlays on your footage.

In this example, I used a short video segment captured with the the Cycliq Fly12 which was exported using the Cycliq Plus app on iPhone. Footage can also be copied manually from the camera over USB though the app provides some functionality to select the footage length.

The ride data was captured on the Strava app for iPhone and automatically uploaded to Strava. Other GPS cycle computers can also be used and uploaded automatically or manually to Strava.
Alternatively, you can simply skip Strava completley, get the GPX file and go to step 4. The more data you record, such as cadence, heart rate and power, the more data is available which you can put into overlays.

Inside Strava, select a ride and on the left click on the 'wrench' icon for settings/tools. A menu opens and choose "Export GPX" and save the file to your computer.

After opening the video in VIRB Edit, inside the edit menu on the left, select the G-Metrix option and choose to import your own file from your computer - select and load the GPX file. You will get an overview (in a list) of all of the data in the GPX file which can then be displayed as overlays.

With luck, the GPX file syncronises automatically with the video and you can go then to the overlay menu and select a predefined template (which you can edit) or manually add gauges and charts with the dynamic data. The dynamic data will already work when you preview the video.

If you have customised the display of overlay data and want to reuse the same layout again later, choose to save it as a template - and next time you can chose this. It is now time to export the footage - your awesome footage is now ready for the world to see.

If you would like to see a video with the process described and demonstrated, please comment.
Cycling is in my BNA

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:01 am

Here is a clip taken yesterday of Brisbane's newest bike path, Lanita Rd or The Ferny Grove Rail Trail. This clip shows a limitation of using the Strava data overlay. Strava doesn't use my GPS's elevation or gradient data, this was a railway line so the gradient is fairly consistent.

Not Cycliq's fault, and other stats are correct like speed HR etc. For this video I'll need to use a computer based editor (probably Garmin Virb edit) to overlay data directly from my Magellan Cyclo 505.

https://vimeo.com/155229118" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW for those interested this was filmed on a unit with the revised optics. It works well from my observations of my 6 hours of footage captured on my ride yesterday.

EDIT - OK after posting I thought why don't I use Garmin Virb Edit and add the overlay with the data directly from my Magellan Cyclo 505? So here it is, basically the same footage, but you can see that the gradient is basically 2% for the most of it as you would expect for a rail corridor...

https://vimeo.com/155255276" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like the CycliqPlus app for simple edits and near miss type of file clipping, including the stats and map showing the location. But for more serious stuff it's worth putting in a bit more time and using a computer based editor and for those stats that Strava fudges, this is the way to get the un-tampered recorded data.
Last edited by PiratePete on Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:42 am

Thanks Christopher, will potentially use it on my Euro trip.

Spaniel

Postby Spaniel » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:59 am

@Pirate, Thanks for posting all Fly12 test footage and showing us the capabilities. Can't wait to get my hands on one!

geoff_tewierik

Postby geoff_tewierik » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:07 am

AUbicycles wrote:If you would like to see a video with the process described and demonstrated, please comment.
Does it work in combination with the 1m tramlines?

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:43 pm

Hi Folks, yet another Fly12 update... It's hot in my part of Brissie today, I have two pre-production Fly12 cameras, version 1 with the high temp issues with the optics and a version 2 unit which has the revised optics. I've been testing the two mounted side by side on the bike for the last week or so to gauge the imagery of the version 2 unit when compared to it's predecessor. The good news on that front is that there is virtually no difference at all in exposure, depth of field, clarity (under normal conditions), etc. etc. If anything I'm seeing an ever so slight improvement in seeing things lurking in the shadows.

But back to today, no time for bike riding but I put both outside sitting on the concrete in the sun for around 3/4 of an hour. I checked their temperatures with an infrared thermometer and at the lens, the v1 unit was 53.2°c and the revised v2 unit 52.8°c. Powered both on and took footage around the yard, looking up the street etc. I have reviewed it and can say that yes the V1 unit does have an issue, which wasn't noticeable on my weekend ride with temperatures reaching around 30°c. The revised version 2 unit, as clear as it is at 16°c, no issue noticeable at all.

Confidence in the hardware restored.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:55 pm

geoff_tewierik yes - from inside the Cycliq Plus app you can select a portion of video and export it with the tramline overlay and data. I am still testing the data overlays on the prototype - so PiratePete has more details and examples of this.

With the exported video, (with the tramline overlay) you could import into Garmin VIRB Edit to overlay data available from your GPS Cycle Computer.
Cycling is in my BNA

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:00 pm

geoff_tewierik wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:If you would like to see a video with the process described and demonstrated, please comment.
Does it work in combination with the 1m tramlines?
Short answer is yes you can, long answer is there is a bit of mucking around...

Firstly from the CycliqPlus app, select the footage and add the tram line overlay, save the clip to your photos on the phone. Connect the phone to your computer and copy the video. Import this and the FIT file from your GPS to Garmin Virb Edit, (I think this is fairly automatic for Garmin devices, or browse to the file location if it is another device, I use a Magellan Cyclo 505 so copied manually). The FIT file is imported under the G-Metrix tab. Normally the app detects that the file belongs to the footage and syncs automatically. However as the time stamp on the .MP4 video file is not within the FIT file time range this required manual syncing. To get this exactly right took a bit of fiddling, the fine adjusting was performed as I changed gear mid clip which is clearly audible, so I had to get it right so that the cadence dropped directly after the clunk.

https://vimeo.com/155629853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can really only see 3 reasons for going through this process; If you don't upload ride data to Strava, if you want more metrics being displayed than the 3 items which the CycliqPlus app can offer, or if the massaged data outputted from Strava is obviously incorrect i.e. gradient. As a general rule when I've wanted tram lines added it's because of a near miss, and the details I wanted like map and bike speed are available easily within the CycliqPlus app.

If you import the MP4 files from the Fly12 into the Virb Edit app, it generally auto syncs the G-Metrix data. For general editing and adding overlay data directly from the GPS this is my preferred editor. If I need to get fine with the editing or want to add slow motion or frame freeze sections I would take the file exported from the Virb editor and import that into VideoPad Pro which I also use on my Mac. For quick and not so dirty editing, Garmin Virb Edit works a treat!
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram