Video Camera who uses one?

PiratePete

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby PiratePete » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:56 am

PiratePete wrote:
darkelf921 wrote:So my RidEye is back and working well again. A few foggy and drizzly mornings and no problems this time. A funny point to note, just prior to it arriving I emailed support about not receiving it yet. It seems it was transported from America to Australia on a plane and then from Sydney to Brisbane on a bicycle. They apologised and said they'd look into it. Two days later it arrived. However another three days later and I received notification a camera had been sent. So I now have a second RidEye camera (32GB). I certainly can't complain about their service. :)
Similar experience with the shipment of my replacements. Sad to say though, after waiting over 4 months to get them replaced, that after one foggy 41km ride on wet roads that I've got the same issue with water ingress.

I see they now claim IP64 protection - "Water splashing against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effect"

I'm glad I waited so long to receive the new improved waterproofing. (Gallows humour).

Looks like I'll still be needing my plastic bag and rubberband cover to protect the front camera.

Battery run time is a little better at between 9 and 10 hours @720p (1 at 9h02m the other got 9h55m)

With the one surviving unit, plus the two new Rideyes I should have A working camera all the way till the Fly12 arrives. [emoji1]
UPDATE, After rode around 18-20km through light rain on Monday morning (without the plastic sheet and rubberband), headed out this morning and the Rideye wouldn't switch on. I thought to myself that I must have forgotten to power off when I got home on Monday?? Headed out, now I'm back I've plugged it in to charge for an hour or so. Now I've tried to power it on to see whether or not I had forgotten to switch it off, no luck. The camera is DEAD.

That's now 2 of the 4 received units DEAD, both after light rain. Not ideal for a product aimed at commuting cyclists.

The product has not been improved as Cedric has claimed. A real shame as the battery run time is ideal for my requirement. Nothing else currently on the market comes close to the 9-10 hour run time (@720p) that I'm aware of. Can't wait for the Fly12, hopefully it will live up to expectations.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:55 am

I use my Mobius in the rain with just some glad wrap on it.Works fine. I find that droplets of water, irrespective of cover give a crap picture any way. My Sony has a cover and it is affected that way.
Pretty hard to beat the rain.... :) I can wipe the helmet one now and again, but the rear one is a dead loss to capture decent images as I cant reach it.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Nate

Postby Nate » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:32 pm

outnabike wrote:I use my Mobius in the rain with just some glad wrap on it.Works fine. I find that droplets of water, irrespective of cover give a crap picture any way.
yeap - i just changed from teh tic-tac box to some "rhino tape" off ebay.
Its a tacky tape - not sticky, and SUPER thick. you put it on & heat it a little & it molds around teh unit & sticks really well. Highly recommended.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:51 pm

I worry with the thicker tape that it may over heat, but probably only in the summer. It has a couple of heat sinks on the top and even with just the glad wrap it gets quite warm.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:33 pm

Nate wrote:yeap - i just changed from teh tic-tac box to some "rhino tape" off ebay.
Its a tacky tape - not sticky, and SUPER thick. you put it on & heat it a little & it molds around teh unit & sticks really well. Highly recommended.
On my old Rideye I ended up using a sheet of plastic with a rubber band holding it in place which worked. I didn't have this on the other day as the replacement was supplied to specifically resolve the water ingress issue. Here is a picture of it with the plastic sheet in place. Do you think the Rhino tape will mold to the shape and is it optically clear enough to allow the camera to do it's job?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx28V ... jZmSlFYemM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:11 am

I find the optics fine with the simple glad wrap. The case on the Sony is just clear plastic but it has a lens dome to stop refraction.Droplets of water on either the glad wrap or the Sony case look similar.... :)

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:54 pm

Just got my Virb. Bit dissapointed it doesn't come with a bike mount...isn't this thing designed for cyclists mainly?

What mount do people use? This one? http://www.ryda.com.au/ProductDetails.a ... 0101192107" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:21 pm

I use the k-edge combo mounts, not cheap but good quality.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:34 pm

Nice! Where from

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:35 pm

bikebug, pushys, etc

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:42 pm

Bluejay87 wrote:Just got my Virb. Bit dissapointed it doesn't come with a bike mount...isn't this thing designed for cyclists mainly?

What mount do people use? This one? http://www.ryda.com.au/ProductDetails.a ... 0101192107" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
K-Edge mounts front and rear. I use the GoPro Big one on the front and hang the camera underneath. On the rear I use the Saddle Rail mount.

The standard VIRB mounts have a pretty high stack. I got the Garmin bike mounts with both mine as it was a bundle from pushy's, but I don't use them as there is no room on my bars for them.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:28 pm

Thanks guys. I see how the k edge mounts are much nicer. Bikebug seems cheapest for the combo, pity they don't also sell the spare battery
http://www.bikebug.com/k-edge-aero-garm ... 44403.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Farmer Elvis

Postby Farmer Elvis » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:37 pm

So I'm heading to Spain and Pyrenees at the end of the month, other than an iPhone I don't own a camera or video, I'm not really a tech head. I have been thinking about the best way of recording, photographing some of the trip, what do people recommend? I don't really want to video every minute, more just get some good shots and videos of the views etc, I was planning on just using my phone but maybe I should be spending a few dollars.....

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:52 pm

Farmer Elvis wrote:So I'm heading to Spain and Pyrenees at the end of the month, other than an iPhone I don't own a camera or video, I'm not really a tech head. I have been thinking about the best way of recording, photographing some of the trip, what do people recommend? I don't really want to video every minute, more just get some good shots and videos of the views etc, I was planning on just using my phone but maybe I should be spending a few dollars.....
Digital SLR with video. A guy at work showed me some videos and stills he did from his recent trip, and he said although the GoPro action was good for action stuff, the DSLR was unmatched for quality.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:59 pm

darkelf921 wrote:So my RidEye is back and working well again. A few foggy and drizzly mornings and no problems this time. A funny point to note, just prior to it arriving I emailed support about not receiving it yet. It seems it was transported from America to Australia on a plane and then from Sydney to Brisbane on a bicycle. They apologised and said they'd look into it. Two days later it arrived. However another three days later and I received notification a camera had been sent. So I now have a second RidEye camera (32GB). I certainly can't complain about their service. :)
Has the new mount successfully stabilised the footage? I saw an early review which complained about vibration from the handlebars producing unstable video. Also, is there no removable memory card?

Nate

Postby Nate » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:01 pm

PiratePete wrote: Do you think the Rhino tape will mold to the shape and is it optically clear enough to allow the camera to do it's job?
no issues overheating
clear enough - i cut out the lens hole, so not sure.
go to deal extreme & get a glass torch cover & glue it over the lens - done!

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:30 pm

Nate wrote:
PiratePete wrote: Do you think the Rhino tape will mold to the shape and is it optically clear enough to allow the camera to do it's job?
no issues overheating
clear enough - i cut out the lens hole, so not sure.
go to deal extreme & get a glass torch cover & glue it over the lens - done!
Thanks for the update and tip!

I might just stick with the plastic sheet for now, it allows me to cover the USB port as well, but looks unsightly... Video quality is OK:
https://youtu.be/zAsfR6o3Ij4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

herzog

Postby herzog » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:10 pm

queequeg wrote:
Farmer Elvis wrote:So I'm heading to Spain and Pyrenees at the end of the month, other than an iPhone I don't own a camera or video, I'm not really a tech head. I have been thinking about the best way of recording, photographing some of the trip, what do people recommend? I don't really want to video every minute, more just get some good shots and videos of the views etc, I was planning on just using my phone but maybe I should be spending a few dollars.....
Digital SLR with video. A guy at work showed me some videos and stills he did from his recent trip, and he said although the GoPro action was good for action stuff, the DSLR was unmatched for quality.

Photographers have a saying "the camera that takes the best photos is the one that you have with you".

The problem with SLR's is that you are less likely to have it on you. Due to the bulk, it's the camera that you're likely to leave back at the hotel room when you do a day trip.

This is probably even more of a consideration on a cycling holiday, where weight and bulk is an issue.

Current and recent iphones take very good photos and excellent video. Note: general video, not actioncam POV style.
Plus you've got GPS tagging, and everything gets backed up to cloud as soon as you hit a WIFI network.

My vote is to just take the phone, assuming it's a recent model.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:36 pm

biker jk wrote:
Has the new mount successfully stabilised the footage? I saw an early review which complained about vibration from the handlebars producing unstable video. Also, is there no removable memory card?
It's a little better. If buying, simply buy the GoPro mount instead. It makes it far more stable.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:46 pm

darkelf921 wrote:
biker jk wrote:
It's a little better. If buying, simply buy the GoPro mount instead. It makes it far more stable.
Thanks. So the memory is internal which is why there's a choice between 8 and 32gb?

RonK

Video Camera who uses one?

Postby RonK » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:02 pm

herzog wrote:
queequeg wrote:

Photographers have a saying "the camera that takes the best photos is the one that you have with you".

The problem with SLR's is that you are less likely to have it on you. Due to the bulk, it's the camera that you're likely to leave back at the hotel room when you do a day trip.

This is probably even more of a consideration on a cycling holiday, where weight and bulk is an issue.

Current and recent iphones take very good photos and excellent video. Note: general video, not actioncam POV style.
Plus you've got GPS tagging, and everything gets backed up to cloud as soon as you hit a WIFI network.

My vote is to just take the phone, assuming it's a recent model.
I couldn't think of anything more impractical to take on a cycling holiday than a digital SLR. How would you carry it?
Most smartphones have very good cameras, plus you have great apps like Hyperlapse for super smooth video, Track My Tour, Instagram, Facebook to share with folks back home.
If you really want a camera there would be no better choice than the Sony RX100 Mk III, which will fit in a jersey pocket, produce excellent stills and video, and wifi sync it to your smartphone instantly for sharing.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:40 pm

I wasn't thinking it was for use when on the bike. For the bike I'd just use my phone.
I've also seen some pocket cameras like the Lumix TZ57 that have WiFi, full HD video, selfies and all that in a compact package.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:36 am

RonK wrote:I couldn't think of anything more impractical to take on a cycling holiday than a digital SLR. How would you carry it?
Most smartphones have very good cameras, plus you have great apps like Hyperlapse for super smooth video, Track My Tour, Instagram, Facebook to share with folks back home.
If you really want a camera there would be no better choice than the Sony RX100 Mk III, which will fit in a jersey pocket, produce excellent stills and video, and wifi sync it to your smartphone instantly for sharing.
Small cameras are one thing, but a DSLR with video takes the most amazing video footage. It's not all that practical for cycling, but for anything else, just take a look at some of the work from the likes of Ami Vitale, Bill Frakes, etc.

For Farmer Elvis, I'd recommend giving the little Nikons a go: http://www.nikon.com.au/en_AU/product/n ... xplained/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are compact, but they also have the benefit of being able to use the F-mount adaptor FT1 to use Nikon AF-S F-mount lenses. Although the bigger super-telephotos cannot be used, most of the useful ones are compatible, even many of the famous black-gold lenses. Perhaps I'm biased because I'm with NPS, but they've not let me down for years and years.
queequeg wrote:
Bluejay87 wrote:Just got my Virb. Bit dissapointed it doesn't come with a bike mount...isn't this thing designed for cyclists mainly?

K-Edge mounts front and rear. I use the GoPro Big one on the front and hang the camera underneath. On the rear I use the Saddle Rail mount.

The standard VIRB mounts have a pretty high stack. I got the Garmin bike mounts with both mine as it was a bundle from pushy's, but I don't use them as there is no room on my bars for them.
Your posts influenced me to get Garmin Virb - I've got one arriving Tuesday. Virb Elite. I've got the saddle rail mount and already have a K-edge front mount.

cage

Postby cage » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:39 pm

g-boaf wrote:
queequeg wrote:

Your posts influenced me to get Garmin Virb - I've got one arriving Tuesday. Virb Elite. I've got the saddle rail mount and already have a K-edge front mount.
Received my VIRB during the week so yesterday I went out and bought this K-Edge mount. Tucked the camera up under the bars out of the way.

If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:43 pm

looks good Cage. I bought the combo mount, hopefully it will arrive soon.

My new work's policy also gives me $500 for the setup of safety equipment for those who cycle to work, so I'll be buying the Fly6 too. Where's the best place to get this from?