Video Camera who uses one?

zero

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby zero » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:27 pm

BastardSheep wrote:What's the mobius like in regards to water proofing? If it's not too good, are there any wet weather cases available for it?

I'm still weighing up camera options. I want one, but I can never decide for long enough what I want.

Price winner: Mobius, followed by GoPro white, contour roam2 & gopro silver, followed by gopro black and contour +2.
Dark video winner: GoPro (any), all others seem rather crappy.
Inconspicuous winner: Mobius followed by Contour (any). GoPro (any) is quite conspicuous.
Waterproofing for rain only (not swimming/diving) without case: Contour ROAM2 - all others seem to require a case.
Width of video: In comparison videos GoPro always seems to have the widest FoV despite both it and Contour claiming the same 170 degree angle?

Basically I don't want something that just catches wind/makes noise and screams out "HAY EVERYONE I HAVE AN EXPENSIVE VIDEO CAMERA MOUNTED ON MY HELMET LOOK AT IT!", but the one that does that the most (GoPro) seems to also have the best quality when it comes to dark/night recording as well as video width (important for car close calls). Having something I can wear in the rain and not worry about is important. I want it to easily and simply clip off after a ride and plug into a computer to charge (or take the video off if something happened). Something that can be mounted horizontal on my helmet rather than at a weird angle is also important.

Am I dreaming with these desires for things I want a camera that fulfills?
IMO the gopro being on the front of the helmet is the best balance, most comfortable for my neck. ie in hindsight after 4 cameras, there is no other camera I'd choose again. I don't like the gopro interface much, but its offered the highest reliability of all the cameras I've owned, once I got a class 10 card for it. ie once it had a good enough card, the only reasons it has ever turned itself off has been out of battery or full card. All my other cameras have crashed or just bounced their batteries off the contacts. This was occasional on road, but no other cam I've owned would do more than 15 minutes mountain bike racing. The gopro ran till end of battery.

The case, with its protection for the lens is a huge plus imo, as my gopro case has been directly struck by wet gravel goop in a 3 hour MTB race on the lens cover. If such keeps happening and eventually scratches the clear bit over the lens, I'll buy a new case.

dajackal

Postby dajackal » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:28 pm

about to put in an order for the mobius actioncam /w 16GB card and the helmet mount.
just wondering if this is the best price i can get it for or if there are other sellers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bick-Bicycle-He ... 2a2ecd44cd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/16GB-Mobius-Act ... 232cb82279" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:45 pm

dajackal wrote:about to put in an order for the mobius actioncam /w 16GB card and the helmet mount.
just wondering if this is the best price i can get it for or if there are other sellers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bick-Bicycle-He ... 2a2ecd44cd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/16GB-Mobius-Act ... 232cb82279" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I believe eletoponline365 is the actual maker of the camera. Not sure whether you could get cheaper prices. The other sellers are all listed in that link posted on the previous page to the other forum so you can see whether they have it cheaper.

dajackal

Postby dajackal » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:17 pm

do people use cams to record traffic incidents or to savor the moment? or both?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:31 pm

Mainly traffic incidents for me. But it will also be used to savour moments. :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:43 pm

Bah77 wrote:Might depend on the bike, but with a road bike all the vibration shows up on camera with a handlebar mount, id say a helmet mount you get your body dampening any vibrations.
Never been a problem for me with the Contour HD 1080P, Jumbo 808 #16 or the GoPro Hero 3.

I now have my cameras bike mounted but have used them on the helmet as well. After a fair bit of use I have decided to stick with the bike mounting.

This is from a few days ago. No vibration that I can notice, but some wobbling due to my learning to ride laid back. The GoPro is mounted on the handlebars of a Bacchetta Giro 20.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:46 am

Bike Rumor is reporting that there are rumours that Contour, GoPro's biggest competitor has closed down.

Andrew

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:32 pm

Inneresting.

Will be a shame to lose Contour - I like the big sliding switch, loud beep and rotating lens, plus the slightly less telly tubby look when stuck to the helmet AND no need for a silly plastic case to stop the rain getting in.

Anyway, ordered up a couple of Mobius for experimental purposes, so looking forward to getting them.

Cheers,

Time

dajackal

Postby dajackal » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:37 pm

A couple???

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:43 pm

Yeah as in two - not like a couple of beers.
Fore and Aft is the plan.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:34 pm

Mounting a Contour HD :)

Andrew

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:02 am

Went out with The Mobius tonight for the first time. Helmet mounted and because of the rain I wrapped it in cling wrap. I am really impressed even though shooting thru cling wrap! No, the heat sinks did not melt the cling wrap :wink: A little tweaking in VCL adjusting brightness and contrast, even rego plates might be possible, here's a sample.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

dajackal

Postby dajackal » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:40 am

was that shot using 1080p?
i thought quality would've been better to be honest, based on the sample video clips from the reviewer:
https://truck.it/p/hB97JbTf3a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:57 am

Is it easy to plug in an external battery to the 808 #16?

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:06 pm

Aushiker wrote:Mounting a Contour HD :)

Andrew
Nice one!

Try doing that with a Sony or Go-Pro.

Cheers

Time

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:14 pm

dajackal wrote:was that shot using 1080p?
i thought quality would've been better to be honest, based on the sample video clips from the reviewer:
https://truck.it/p/hB97JbTf3a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes that is 1080p, note that the camera is wrapped in glad wrap, had been raining, at night with poor lighting and that image has been zoomed in to see if a rego plate can be read. The original size of the image at 1080p is the inset in the top left of the frame.
Dr_Mutley wrote:Is it easy to plug in an external battery to the 808 #16?
I have used an external battery with both the #16 and the Mobius. Using the same USB cord that charges the cams and the battery pack that is sold by the vendors. I have also used a power pack to charge mobile phones with success.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

VRE

Postby VRE » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:41 pm

Aushiker wrote:Bike Rumor is reporting that there are rumours that Contour, GoPro's biggest competitor has closed down.

Andrew
I hope not :( . We need the competition to keep them honest.

I'm already wondering where GoPro are heading with their continual improvements in resolution, frame-rate, etc. at the expense of battery life. The Hero 3 appears to have shorter battery life than the original Hero 1 (I have both). I wish they'd just focus on extending the battery life for the Hero 4, instead of continually adding battery-draining features.

rabobank89

Postby rabobank89 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:50 pm

Any decent deals going around for a GoPro Silver or Black? My contour died..

gromek

Postby gromek » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:11 pm

I got the black edition for 435 at jb, if you just say you know someone who works at another store that can get it for you, they should do that price :)

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:08 pm

Contours might be going cheap, seeing as they are out of business now places will be getting rid of their stock.

rabobank89

Postby rabobank89 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:29 pm

Bah77 wrote:Contours might be going cheap, seeing as they are out of business now places will be getting rid of their stock.
Is it not just a rumor at this stage?

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:52 pm

Oh it might be, i havent seen anything further but just saw this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ROAM2+Actio ... &cp=1&lp=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on reddit, it was just an assumption that the low price was related, but they apparently also had the drifthd for $50.. so who knows.
I think that price is u.s. in store only though.

rabobank89

Postby rabobank89 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Bah77 wrote:Oh it might be, i havent seen anything further but just saw this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ROAM2+Actio ... &cp=1&lp=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on reddit, it was just an assumption that the low price was related, but they apparently also had the drifthd for $50.. so who knows.
I think that price is u.s. in store only though.
Soo cheap... wish I could order it :(

auswi2

Postby auswi2 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:30 am

I am picling up a Go Pro 3 Silver this week and a 32GB Sandisk Class 10 MicroSD card and have some questions about recording time as the Go pro website says one thing but cyclists are saying another.

Are these figures below correct with a standard battery that comes with the Go Pro
Recording time will vary according to the resolution setting used and the card capacity. Here are the average recording storage times for a 32GB SD card:

•1080p (30 fps): 4h 21m
•960p (30 fps): 5h 26m
•720p (60 fps): 4h 21
•720p (30 fps): 8h 09m
•WVGA (60 fps): 8h 09m

Are these figures correct in any way shape and form

Any real time data would be great as i have read that at 1080p the battery can die in less then 1 hour.

Also I was looking at purchising a Vented helmet strap to attachto the Go Pro to my Merida Road Bike. Can some please advise if you have mounted the Go Pro elsewhere on the bike facing forward and how did you find it along with the audio.

Any advise appriciated

Auswi2

apsilon

Postby apsilon » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:39 am

I see a couple of people here with the little Mobius cams, just wondering how they find them at night. I tried mine for the first time on Sat and it's next to useless. Not too bad at brightly lit intersections, barely visible on normal residential streets and nothing but the hot spot of my lights on unlit cycle paths. It's about what I expected but just want to make sure others are seeing the same. It's not far behind my Contour (actually way ahead at recording sound) which cost 3 times as much. Not a bad daylight camera though, especially for the price.

Think it might be time to bite the bullet and buy the brick styled GoPro.