Video Camera who uses one?

KonaCommuter

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby KonaCommuter » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:53 am

In what passes for a Newspaper in Queensland there's an advertisement, I mean, an article, espousing the virtues of dash cams. Of course the sales pitch is that it's there to catch the other driver doing the wrong thing but I can't but help that these camera's are going to catch out some of our MM.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/tech ... 6591343186

Meet the clever collision-capturing camera
by:Rod Chester From: National Features March 06, 2013 9:03am

EVERY driver has a story of a near accident or, even worse, the time another car came from nowhere and a collision was unavoidable.

Increasingly, drivers are taking the effort to shoot video to match their script. The idea of wiring up your car with a video camera as a "just in case" move can seem a little daunting.

That's why devices such as Navman's MiVue 358, with a 2.4-inch LCD screen, are appealing. You plug it into your car's power supply and attach it to your windscreen with a suction cupped-back clip.

The camera has a 120-degree lens, which, if you attach it near your rear-vision mirror as directed, means it will record pretty much what you see as you're driving along.

One thing to remember is that, by default, it also records sound of the passengers in the vehicle, so it's worth pointing out to other drivers of your vehicle that their words and actions are on candid camera.

The camera has a 3-axis G-shock sensor, that will automatically turn on the video recorder if you have a sudden impact or overturn your car. For obvious reasons, we simulated the scenario by putting the G-shock sensitivity to high and giving it a good shake to start the record.

The camera may not see it but the G-shock sensor calculates the point of collision.

Unclip it from the holder and it also serves as a 5-megapixel camera to take pictures of an accident scene.

The video can record at full 1080p HD. There is a mini HD port so, with your own cable, you can connect it to your TV and watch the highlights of your daily commute.

If you ever have to prove your version of events of an incident on the roads, remember the old adage: the camera doesn't lie.

--

MIVUE 358 Navman, $199

http://www.navman.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2012 Oppy A4

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:20 am

Turn the camera on at point of impact... that's ... um... really useul, eh? :roll:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:16 pm

trailgumby wrote:Andrew, you're better off using the skeleton rear hatch. At least the case then gives your cam some protection from water, and impacts should it ever come off.

Only time I;d use this mount is inside my car, where I'd be looking to power the cam off a USB cord fitted to my fag lighter.
Good point and taken on board

On a related note, I find I am picking up road noise but not my own voice. Is this normal? The camera is mounted on the handlebars.

Oh and I have put a bit of a review together on what I have experienced so far ... not an in-depth one by any means.

Andrew

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:22 pm

Aushiker wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Andrew, you're better off using the skeleton rear hatch. At least the case then gives your cam some protection from water, and impacts should it ever come off.

Only time I;d use this mount is inside my car, where I'd be looking to power the cam off a USB cord fitted to my fag lighter.
Good point and taken on board

On a related note, I find I am picking up road noise but not my own voice. Is this normal? The camera is mounted on the handlebars.

Oh and I have put a bit of a review together on what I have experienced so far ... not an in-depth one by any means.

Andrew
Which door are you using?

Gopro recommend the door with the holes in it for enhanced audio. But that is only good for dry days. Other wise you will have to yell... Haha or maybe attach a microphone.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:26 pm

ozzymac wrote:Which door are you using?

Gopro recommend the door with the holes in it for enhanced audio. But that is only good for dry days. Other wise you will have to yell... Haha or maybe attach a microphone.
It is the Standard backdoor at present and I was yelling :) I just wondering because others seem to get sound with theirs. Maybe there is a mic setting I need to check.

Andrew

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Use the rear door with the holes. You can get away with light drizzle but as soon as it gets heavy pull over for 10 seconds and swap the snap on rear door to the waterproof casing.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:15 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Use the rear door with the holes. You can get away with light drizzle but as soon as it gets heavy pull over for 10 seconds and swap the snap on rear door to the waterproof casing.
I may go down that path. Will test the skeleton door at least.

Andrew

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:15 pm

On one of my mtb vids, on the climb you can hear this funky drumbeat... thats my heartbeat, transmitted through the chest mount and casing :lol:

Can also hear my voice better through the helmet and chest mounts on other vids.

Skeleton rear hatch improves sound a lot, and will tolerate lighr drizzle. You'll still get lots of road noise and capture every muffed gearshift, though :)

arkle

Postby arkle » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:24 pm

So, has anyone bought and mounted and used a Drift Ghost HD yet? The specs seem very good!

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:57 pm

trailgumby wrote:Skeleton rear hatch improves sound a lot, and will tolerate lighr drizzle. You'll still get lots of road noise and capture every muffed gearshift, though :)
I think I will give it a shot but I like the level of background noise that is captured at the moment, i.e., not to much. I am also going back to using my Jumbo HD808 on the helmet so that may pick up my voice.

Andrew

takai

Postby takai » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:51 pm

Anyone for a helmet cam?

(probably a repost)

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:31 am

For Andrew's mic comparison. Here's my debut single of a track inspired by the TykeToter front seat used to take daughter to kindergarten.

The b-side below, testing the youtube fix for shaky video, feels like ill prescribed antidepressant, takes the edge off reality giving an obviously less than real experience, bumps become rubber banded trees in the peripheral wider angles.

PS: who chooses vimeo over youtube, any specific cycle cam capture/share workflow reasons?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:01 am

eldavo wrote:For Andrew's mic comparison. Here's my debut single of a track inspired by the TykeToter front seat used to take daughter to kindergarten.
I assume this is with a GoPro mounted on the bars. Which backdoor are you using? BTW your daughter sounds like she is really enjoying the ride :)
PS: who chooses vimeo over youtube, any specific cycle cam capture/share workflow reasons?
I use it if I want to add music to my videos. It does not impose advertising on the videos, however, the process is very slow unless you upgrade to Pro.

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:35 am

I'm using the skeleton back currently and it picks up my voice easily if I'm reading out a number plate. But if forecast is for rain, bye bye skeleton door.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:50 pm

Andrew, those videos were with my Roam2 waterproof mounted on headlight like above images, kind of cruel GoPro attack in hindsight =D I shared because it had lots of chatter versus my commute with music from speakers.
The daughter does love the front seat bike ride, the engaged conversation is what I had read of people using front box bikes and front seats versus rear trailers and seats.

I will try Vimeo, be nice to be able to quickly trim with Quicktime Pro or virtual dub and save/compact, but not have to export/encode.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:07 pm

eldavo wrote:Andrew, those videos were with my Roam2 waterproof mounted on headlight like above images, kind of cruel GoPro attack in hindsight =D I shared because it had lots of chatter versus my commute with music from speakers.
Ah okay. My Contour is also good at picking up my voice too. Mind you I can't recall how it went in the waterproof case.
I will try Vimeo, be nice to be able to quickly trim with Quicktime Pro or virtual dub and save/compact, but not have to export/encode.
On my Mac I create the video in iMovie and then have to export in Quicktime format for uploading to Vimeo. Vimeo provides advice on the suggested settings. Process is slow uploading unless you pay $.

Andrew

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:31 pm

Roam2 is waterproof for cycling (1m depth for 30min) so doesn't need cases, i thought good enough features to start out until the gopo and new premium ones battle out with rear mount vacancy.

Will be interesting to compare vimeo, I have a license plate in that video to test.

Michael A

Postby Michael A » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:45 pm

I just got a Contour Roam2 on Friday. Having tried it on the weekend, it's fantastic, picking up both road and voice clearly, mounted on my helmet. I don't even notice it's there most of the time.

Unless you want to spend $$$ on Adobe premier elements, editing is limited to iMovie on the Mac, or if loaded directly from the card reader, it can be edited on the iPad, first converting it using an app call ReelDirector then importing into iMovie for iPad.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:59 pm

eldavo wrote:Roam2 is waterproof for cycling (1m depth for 30min) so doesn't need cases, i thought good enough features to start out until the gopo and new premium ones battle out with rear mount vacancy.
My Contour is an HD1080P, an early version which isn't waterproof and hence uses a case. That sounds like a good feature on the Roam.

Andrew

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:54 pm

Yeah the Roam2 seems like a nice update keeping price low, features simple, adding the waterproofing, leaving all the new generation stuff to the Roam+.
I haven't even installed the software, default is 720p 60fps, the only reason I want to install it is to silence the "look at me office!!!" as it beeps loudly for charging and download.
I like the boxy retro camera/toaster form factor of the naked GoPro, would love to see a light featured high video quality version with waterproofing.
In the meantime can weatherproof chest mount it like this, just need a G-shock upgrade:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:03 pm

I am now using the Skeleton housing because the standard picked up pretty much no sound and I wanted sound just in case I needed to read out a plate. The difference in audio is pronounced.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:40 pm

Has anyone any experience of the 808#18 keychain cam that appears on eBay now ?

Which is the best 808 model to go for ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

arkle

Postby arkle » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:17 pm

arkle wrote:So, has anyone bought and mounted and used a Drift Ghost HD yet? The specs seem very good!

arkle
What? No one?? :)

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:07 pm

Riggsbie wrote:Has anyone any experience of the 808#18 keychain cam that appears on eBay now ?

Which is the best 808 model to go for ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I've got 2, 808#16 v2. Great for night recording, downside short battery life without an external battery pack and not waterproof.
More info on the #16
Read this for more info on the #18
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:12 pm

arkle wrote:
arkle wrote:So, has anyone bought and mounted and used a Drift Ghost HD yet? The specs seem very good!

arkle
What? No one?? :)

arkle
You can be our test dummy. :P