Video Camera who uses one?

khendar

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby khendar » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:18 am

Mulger bill wrote:Wouldn't be some sort of interference from the other electronics on the bar? :?
I suppose its possible, I doubt it though. It looks like the wobble effect, caused by the rolling shutter in the CMOS sensor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

I think the only solution is to find a different way to mount it to absorb some of the vibrations.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:59 am

khendar wrote: way to mount it to absorb some of the vibrations.

I found that vibrations were occurring in the velcro pad. A rubber band stretched around the camera and mount ,so as to compress the velcro, made a big improvement.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:23 am

Any tips for micro SD cards, looking at 16 GB (min) and understand I need class 10.

Have a Contour GPS on loan and in my first trial the flexi strap, bar mounted meant very shaky video. Road are rough. Handlebar mount wont fit on this bike but will try the helmet mount next. Unfortunatelly my memory card was full before the I was cut off by a motorist who proceeded to educate me about the value of road rego, in colourful language. A small win for me, she didn't know I drive as well so pay rego, while I didn't have a chance to inform her, let make it a +1,for me ;)
Cycling is in my BNA

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:29 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Any tips for micro SD cards, looking at 16 GB (min) and understand I need class 10.

Have a Contour GPS on loan and in my first trial the flexi strap, bar mounted meant very shaky video. Road are rough. Handlebar mount wont fit on this bike but will try the helmet mount next. Unfortunatelly my memory card was full before the I was cut off by a motorist who proceeded to educate me about the value of road rego, in colourful language. A small win for me, she didn't know I drive as well so pay rego, while I didn't have a chance to inform her, let make it a +1,for me ;)
Why do you think you need a class 10? I'm using a class 4 Sandisk 16GB in my contour GPS and it works perfectly fine. I ran mine on the rear mount I made up, I'll post up a video of it when I get home. It's not quite horizontal, I've adjusted the lens to try and compensate for that on the way home tonight. No vibrations but I'm riding on smooth paths and roads and 2" tyres help as well. Any bumps on the paths from tree roots were a non issue for it as well. So apart from the horizontal issue which I can sort out with the lens, I'm very happy with that mount.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

newbikeorupgrade

Postby newbikeorupgrade » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:07 pm

Ive used class 4 8 gig for light 10 bucks from centrecom works fine on 808.

I think the interference thing is FCC wont let you not accept interference...
(lead box they dont sell those anymore at dick smith) :D

MickMelb

Postby MickMelb » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:07 pm

Contour discussion forum has advice from Contour Staff that Class 4 is fine. http://support.contour.com/contour/topi ... equirement

Wish I known 'cos I got class 10!

Centre.com have 16Gb Kingston class 10 micro SD for $26 or Class 4 for $20 which is hard to beat.

I'm using the flex strap on the headset. Very good video except for annoying rattle from rotating mount itself. Many users have made same comment and solved it with super glue which makes it a fixed mount. Not really an issue to dedicate a mount to a bike they are available from evans at an almost reasonable cost

BTW it is understood that Nokia battery BL-5C is a perfect match for the contour battery and is much cheaper.

I had a near miss last night and was really looking forward to getting the clip off the camera - especially as the aging merc driver was on the phone. Major disappointment then to realise that I'd failed to set the camera to record!

Enjoy the ContourGPS - while not perfect in every way (on-off button) it is a fun toy!

Michael

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:42 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Any tips for micro SD cards, looking at 16 GB (min) and understand I need class 10.

Class 4 min Class 6 ideal. Class 10 is a waste IMHO, but be sure to buy a reputable brand.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:05 pm

Just don't get a micro SD card from ebay. I got one fraud Sandisk micro SD. Tried to contact the buyer and nothing happened, so took it to paypal and got my money back. Quiet easy with Sandisk support saying is was fake.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:15 pm

Finally got home and I am now able to hear the audio due to not having speakers in my work pc. Speakers are plugged into my phone for music :) I had the contour gps in it's waterproof camera today positioned at the rear. The audio is much much much better now. I can hear my pedalling which I can't if it was helmet mounted, but I couldn't hear any speaking I did. So that is now going to be on my rear perm, now for a camera for the front in due course that is waterproof and 2hrs battery life.

houawu

Postby houawu » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:54 am

this stuff looks useful to me....
It can make some very nice films

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback on the micro SD card classes.

Am looking at how a pro sets up the bike mounts this weekend for ultimate video quality :)
Cycling is in my BNA

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:42 pm

Mind you for some reason my Contour GPS refused to continue filming yesterday when there was only 2.18GB free on my 16GB card. This was on a commute so I think it's time I got a 32GB card. That 16GB card can go in my phone!

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:34 pm

My rear camera mount test on the roughest part of my commute.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt1AOkiw ... Q0sy34dkE=[/youtube]

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:19 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Mind you for some reason my Contour GPS refused to continue filming yesterday when there was only 2.18GB free on my 16GB card. This was on a commute so I think it's time I got a 32GB card. That 16GB card can go in my phone!
Could it be the battery jarred loose?

Graeme

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:31 pm

GraemeL wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Mind you for some reason my Contour GPS refused to continue filming yesterday when there was only 2.18GB free on my 16GB card. This was on a commute so I think it's time I got a 32GB card. That 16GB card can go in my phone!
Could it be the battery jarred loose?

Graeme
Actually scrub that I found it. So yep got the full commute in, but I do need a 16GB card for my phone and I can get a 32GB micro sd Kingston class 10 from a supplier for dirt cheap compared to retail pricing.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:41 pm

Baalzamon wrote:My rear camera mount test on the roughest part of my commute.
Uh-oh. :shock:

I see a CCR points deduction for being overtaken by a tradie in long work pants, work boots and chuckbucket helmet. :P

:wink: :wink:

Mount looks good - nice and solid with no shake that I could see.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Yet another DIY mount, I made this to mount my GoPro down low and it can be used with any camera that accepts a tipod mount. Cost wise it's probably $5

I used to small L brackets and mounted it to the rear quick release. One bracket is mounted to the quick release and the other is inverted to add some strngth. It is rock solid without any movement what so ever. I like having the camera down there because it captures plates really well and youdon't knock it with your leg when pedalling. It doesn't get caught on things because your leg is slightly further out than the mount.

Graeme

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:58 pm

Cool mount I like it. I hope my Go Pro shows up next week.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:27 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:My rear camera mount test on the roughest part of my commute.
Uh-oh. :shock:

I see a CCR points deduction for being overtaken by a tradie in long work pants, work boots and chuckbucket helmet. :P

:wink: :wink:

Mount looks good - nice and solid with no shake that I could see.
That is a workmate, and he is a on a 29er with a front shock.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:17 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Cool mount I like it. I hope my Go Pro shows up next week.
Give it a try, I am sure you won't be dissapointed.

johnm_oz

Postby johnm_oz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:36 pm

Just bought a couple of these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170804552039 ... 1497.l2649

If nothing else they'll give me a couple of clamps and tripod screws to work with...

Cheers
JM

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:52 am

johnm_oz wrote:Just bought a couple of these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170804552039 ... 1497.l2649

If nothing else they'll give me a couple of clamps and tripod screws to work with...

Cheers
JM
Let us know what they arelike when you get them.

Graeme

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:56 am

GraemeL - off topic. but what camera are you using to take those photos. is it a DSLR? they just look crisp

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:12 am

I already have a ContourGPS and picked up a ContourRoam second hand for half the new price, so will have front and rear facing cameras for my commute. Just need one on the helmet now (I don't like the weight of the contour on the helmet, it would be great to find a really light camera for the helmet...)
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

Nate

Postby Nate » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 pm

khendar wrote:Finally got out for a ride with my 808 camera today. I think I need to rethink my mount a little bit. The video I got was incredibly shaky with a strange wobble effect. I'm guessing it had something to do with the rolling shutter on the camera and the framerate as much as the roughness of the road.
yeap 100% rolling shutter & vibration - not wobble.
The SMALLEST of vibrations will do that, can you strap the camera to the mount a little better? (inner tube?)