Video Camera who uses one?

trailgumby

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby trailgumby » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:10 pm

To make a change from all the near-miss and moron-motorist vids, here's a little fun I had with mates on the weekend.

Marto

Postby Marto » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:52 pm

trailgumby wrote:To make a change from all the near-miss and moron-motorist vids, here's a little fun I had with mates on the weekend.

Fixed for ya! But I can still only make out one front fork :wink:

Looks like great fun

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:06 pm

wurtulla wabbit wrote:cant get it to work in youtube setup so heres the link, feel free to flame my speed etc and also watch out for dude at lights and bus ! :?
Thanks for the vid. That's pretty impressive - only a tiny bit of jelly in your brake cables. The Contour Roam at 30fps is obviously a good bit better than the older Contour HD1080p at 30fps although not quite as good as the 1080p at 60fps.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:48 pm

I just left it as stock. Until I clicked the "stabilise" button on YouTube, my vids never bent like that.
CMOS or otherwise.
It's a great camera. Great for track days (have one strapped to my FG xr6 turbo doing hot laps at the track if interested (sound is buggered due to exhaust and wind at 220+kph. )

Marto

Postby Marto » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:03 pm

NASA's Curiosity Rover has 17 cameras.

Most of them are shown in this pic.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:19 pm

Marto wrote:NASA's Curiosity Rover has 17 cameras.

I'd swap the 17 cameras for a top speed of 6km per second though :)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:04 am

Marto wrote:NASA's Curiosity Rover has 17 cameras.

Now where are my side hazcams
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:39 pm

I've joined the list of video camera toting commuters.

Tax return = GoPro Hero2 Outdoor = :mrgreen:

Bought from Highly Tuned Athletes yesterday at lunch, and today at lunch it's sitting on my desk. Very happy with the service.

I'll be mounting it on my helmet, though I do have the handlebar mount, which I may play with. I'm also thinking of getting one of those Jumbo keycams and installing it rear-facing under the rack on the back of the commute bike.

One question I had with the new Hero2 - now that it can take a 11MP photo every 0.5sec, would that setting yield a higher quality image of number plates, faces, etc, or would it lose too much of sequence and context by talking 1 frame to the video's 15 (albeit at the much lower 2MP)? I think I'll test it out over the next few rides and see where I get to.

cheers,
Dave

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:08 pm

Ozkaban wrote:I've joined the list of video camera toting commuters.

Bought from Highly Tuned Athletes yesterday at lunch, and today at lunch it's sitting on my desk. Very happy with the service.

I'll be mounting it on my helmet, though I do have the handlebar mount, which I may play with. I'm also thinking of getting one of those Jumbo keycams and installing it rear-facing under the rack on the back of the commute bike.

One question I had with the new Hero2 - now that it can take a 11MP photo every 0.5sec, would that setting yield a higher quality image of number plates, faces, etc, or would it lose too much of sequence and context by talking 1 frame to the video's 15 (albeit at the much lower 2MP)? I think I'll test it out over the next few rides and see where I get to.

cheers,
Dave
Mate, if it can take crystal clear pics of my mate doing 100kph monos through fire trails on a wr450, you'll have no drama !

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:16 am

Ozkaban wrote:I've joined the list of video camera toting commuters.

cheers,
Dave
The photo every 0.5 is for timelapse photography and it will require a class 10 memory card. You would also fill it pretty quickly, 120 photos every minute.
You won't have any issues capturing rego plates using video.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:24 am

GraemeL wrote: The photo every 0.5 is for timelapse photography and it will require a class 10 memory card. You would also fill it pretty quickly, 120 photos every minute.
Check :mrgreen: 32GB Class 10 Kingston jobbie. Did the job well.

GraemeL wrote:You won't have any issues capturing rego plates using video.
Graeme
I've noticed this.

On my run home yesterday I used 1080p video and on the way back in this morning I did the timelapse photos. I'll upload some screenshots today. The video does capture the number plates very well, but not a patch on the stills. I've been able to read plates parked on the other side of the street and in driveways without enhancements, which is pretty cool. The one major issue is shutter speed. It's pretty good, but the camera is moving at 30-odd kmh and if you move your head (as you tend to!) you do get a few blurry shots. In video mode (with the skeleton door on) the sound is actually ok. If there was an altercation with a driver it would certainly capture the voices, but I'm not sure of the legality of recording sound.

Oh, it does fill up fairly quickly. The 20 min video on the way home was 2.2Gb. The 1984 photos ( 16 min run - downhill :mrgreen: ) on the way in was 3.5Gb.

The other odd little thing about the timelapse is the photos are compressed much more. the 11MP photos averaged about 2-odd Mb each. When taking the photos manually, they're 4.5 to 6Mb. Same resolution.

Cheers,
Dave

geoffs

Postby geoffs » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:14 am

recording your video at 1080p will give perfect numberplate capture. I tried recording with my Contour HD at 720p and unless the car was close, i wasn't able to read the plates clearly

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:56 am

720P at 60fps is all you need.

Graeme

malocchio

Postby malocchio » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:48 pm

So I've joined the list of GoPro HD Hero2 owners, haven't taken it out yet but I'm looking forward to capturing a few rides :-)

I'm not sure if this mount has been discussed yet, but has anyone used one of these stem-mounts before? View item

At $30 it's not much of a risky investment so I've bought one, but I'll also be looking at the chest mounts for my commuting options.

wizardhat

Postby wizardhat » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:02 pm

geoffs wrote:recording your video at 1080p will give perfect numberplate capture. I tried recording with my Contour HD at 720p and unless the car was close, i wasn't able to read the plates clearly
The thing that peeves me off about Contour cameras is that the field of view is lower in 1080 mode :(.

Also I wish the K-Edge Contour mounts would be released already!

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:18 pm

malocchio wrote:So I've joined the list of GoPro HD Hero2 owners, haven't taken it out yet but I'm looking forward to capturing a few rides :-)

I'm not sure if this mount has been discussed yet, but has anyone used one of these stem-mounts before? View item

At $30 it's not much of a risky investment so I've bought one, but I'll also be looking at the chest mounts for my commuting options.
Interesting mount. The bummer for me is that it blocks the stem mounted computer.

I'm still undecided about the best commuting mount. Helmet mount is fine and captures where you're looking which is great, but you're often looking down when out if the saddle. Handle bar mount is fine but more vibration and no liability oking where you're looking. Chest might be better, but not sure how much.

Cheers,
Dave

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:29 am

malocchio wrote:So I've joined the list of GoPro HD Hero2 owners, haven't taken it out yet but I'm looking forward to capturing a few rides :-)

It looks to be the same as the GoPro tripod mount, although it's aluminium and not plastic.

Graeme

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:21 pm

Has anyone spotted a good price for the wifi bacpac and remote kit? The local price is ridiculous, and most sellers don't have stock anyway.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:11 pm

RonK wrote:Has anyone spotted a good price for the wifi bacpac and remote kit? The local price is ridiculous, and most sellers don't have stock anyway.
Shooting you pm for a potential group buy from davesmotors

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:34 pm

You can also buy them from one of the bigger surf shops, quicksilver I think it is or maybe rip curl/city beach type of place but pretty sure it's quicksilver .
The remote looks great.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:15 pm

RonK wrote:Has anyone spotted a good price for the wifi bacpac and remote kit? The local price is ridiculous, and most sellers don't have stock anyway.
Daves Motors has it for $101.95 US delivered so under $100 Aus if you use hbf in the coupon code.

About $40 cheaper than egay. Saw one on there for $743 too :shock:

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:03 am

Mugglechops wrote:
Daves Motors has it for $101.95 US delivered so under $100 Aus if you use hbf in the coupon code.

So your using Standard Intl shipping, ewww 2-3 weeks yuck, start doing a group order and Express is same price as Standard :wink:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:47 am

In the event of an accident I imagine that I would have a better than average chance of an independent witness having notice me at about the time so that would be a plus (if I was in the right). But I also suspect that, to someone not actually seeing it (cop or judge for example) they would also be more likely to assume that a unicyclist would be of such low ability to control that I would be deemed to have been the cause. Maybe a camera would be even more useful in sorting these things out than for others.

But as I do not wear a helmet and there is almost no-where to mount anything, that makes my options somewhat less. Still, maybe some father's day.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:01 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:In the event of an accident I imagine that I would have a better than average chance of an independent witness having notice me at about the time so that would be a plus (if I was in the right). But I also suspect that, to someone not actually seeing it (cop or judge for example) they would also be more likely to assume that a unicyclist would be of such low ability to control that I would be deemed to have been the cause. Maybe a camera would be even more useful in sorting these things out than for others.

But as I do not wear a helmet and there is almost no-where to mount anything, that makes my options somewhat less. Still, maybe some father's day.
If you use a GoPro, you could always use the chest mount. It gives a very good view. Post a pic of your ride Colin and I will see what options you could use.

Graeme

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:06 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:

So your using Standard Intl shipping, ewww 2-3 weeks yuck, start doing a group order and Express is same price as Standard :wink:
I have always used standard shipping with Daves motors and at the most it takes 6 days.

Trust me I have spent way too much on parts for this :D