Video Camera who uses one?

Cyclophiliac

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Cyclophiliac » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:10 am

... and another GoPro helmet mount broke, this time after less than 2 months of use. Quality engineering, that. :roll:

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:13 am

Nate wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:A rear facing GoPro is an option but means separate lights. And for dark riding, sports camera all struggle.
the latest version of Mobius is EXTREMELY good in low light levels - compared to previous versions.
with a good light up front - visibility in the recording is excellent.
What's the Mobius' battery life like? The real, not advertised.
Which Mobius package did you buy? Was it the ITPCam 64 cycling package?

Nate

Postby Nate » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:07 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:the latest version of Mobius is EXTREMELY good in low light levels - compared to previous versions.
Which Mobius package did you buy? Was it the ITPCam 64 cycling package?[/quote]

eletoponline or something.

I'm running the Mobius2, and get close to 2hrs - around 1:30-1:45 from memory.
Running 1080p (AT) 30fps from memory.

I've also looked at getting some external batteries from hobbyking & connecting them up.
can get 2000mah batteries for $8, the battery in the mobius is 850mah. But i'll need to be external & some modifications - but works really well (did a prototype)

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:07 pm

Nate wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:
Nate wrote:the latest version of Mobius is EXTREMELY good in low light levels - compared to previous versions.
Which Mobius package did you buy? Was it the ITPCam 64 cycling package?
eletoponline or something.

I'm running the Mobius2, and get close to 2hrs - around 1:30-1:45 from memory.
Running 1080p (AT) 30fps from memory.

I've also looked at getting some external batteries from hobbyking & connecting them up.
can get 2000mah batteries for $8, the battery in the mobius is 850mah. But i'll need to be external & some modifications - but works really well (did a prototype)
Thanks for the reply. I ordered a Mobius last week, the ITPCam 64, so I'm looking forward to trying out something that isn't a GoPro. Take heed, GoPro! You drove me away with your continual feature upgrades while doing stuff-all about weight and battery life.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:17 pm

anyone put a bigger card than 32GB in a Fly6 CE yet?

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:45 pm

jasonc wrote:anyone put a bigger card than 32GB in a Fly6 CE yet?
i don't know whether you've come across this but someone was talking about that in the comments to the DC Rainmaker review. there's heaps of comments so you will have to go looking but its useful stuff and Cycliq are interacting also.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/cyc ... nt-2779192

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:03 am

ta grasshopper. i'll just buy a 64 going by that

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:24 pm

Anyone use a basic INCA 4k HD action cam? I have been gifted one and have not yet set it up. Anything that I should know?

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:48 pm

What the??? Saw a Fly12 copy on Fleabay
No info of SD card size or run time. It looks crap but it got view screen on top of body.
Might have plastic body and not good mounting bracket.
Poor form of description info.

ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:00 pm

My new Mobius camera arrived, 13 days after I ordered it, which sounds pretty reasonable to me. I've charged the camera, and also the external battery that comes with it. Now I just have to get used to using it. I've been using GoPro Hero series cameras for many years, so I'm used to them.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:59 am

I charged the Mobius camera, then just set it to record until the battery ran flat, and it lasted 2 hours 15 minutes, so I'm happy enough with that, as it more than covers my one-way commuting time. Of course, it's a new camera, so I expect that over time the battery life will decrease slightly.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:49 am

I noticed one thing with my new Mobius camera (an ITPCam model): it has a wide-angle lens which protrudes from the camera a bit more than was the case (apparently) with the Mobius 1 and 2 cameras. Because of this, the weather cover doesn't have any cover to put in front of the lens, i.e. it covers all of the camera except for the lens. I'm wondering how this will work in wet conditions. Comments, anyone?

Regards,

--- Victor.

Nate

Postby Nate » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:56 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:I noticed one thing with my new Mobius camera (an ITPCam model): it has a wide-angle lens which protrudes from the camera a bit more than was the case (apparently) with the Mobius 1 and 2 cameras. Because of this, the weather cover doesn't have any cover to put in front of the lens, i.e. it covers all of the camera except for the lens. I'm wondering how this will work in wet conditions. Comments, anyone?
Regards,
--- Victor.
Between the glass & the plastic you need to do something - otherwise moisture gets in the lens & affects visibility.
Get some conformal coating (or just clear nail polish!) & paint it around all the joins in the plastic & you'll be fine.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:36 pm

My Fly12 filmed a car vs car incident yesterday while riding around with my son. Cut the segment out and emailed it to guy who got hit. Low speed, everybody was okay.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

HenryCharlie

Postby HenryCharlie » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:09 pm

My new 'old model' Fly 12 and Fly 6 arrived today. Looking forward to trying them out on the commute tomorrow.
I overtook some people going uphill once.

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:02 am

I am considering whether to go for the fly 6 and 12 or separate cameras. I have a Nikon W300 camera but am reluctant to risk that on the bike. I use lights in daylight, just for added visibility. I like the Ion 2 for it's a high flash rate that is very noticeable in daylight. My tail light is a NiteRider cherry bomb which has a very eye catching flash pattern and is extremely bright, especially on axis which gets me noticed early. Can someone please comment on how the fly 6 and 12 compare to my existing lights at getting noticed in daylight?

I am also wondering are there are cheaper mini waterproof cameras capable of reliable licence plate captures that can record a ride of up to say 2 hours?

Ken

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:05 am

Just seen on FB a comment on the Fly6 by Jenica Brooke, someone who has used both the old and newer versions.

the new Fly12CE is great but the Fly6CE doesn't meet expectations yet. Husband and I are helping them with some feedback about the Fly6CE, which for no apparent reason is producing much smaller file sizes than the Fly12CE despite all the same settings etc. The picture quality is a small improvement over the previous Fly6 model but is not where I expected it to be, given the specs. Hoping it's a resolvable firmware issue or something.
Also should mention that the new Fly6CE and Fly12CE only support up to 32GB card which is a step down from the old one and barely enough to record a long ride. Again, they say they're working on that but it's a disappointing change that I didn't expect when we pre ordered them.

hope this helps...I only seen this post a few minutes ago.

I'm thinking of getting something in a way of a camera set up on my bike as well as I got a close punishment pass 2 days ago on the way to work between Beverly Hills and Kingsgrove by one of those trucks that deliver concrete to high buildings (the ones with the box on the back with a crane and hose...not sure what those trucks are called)

I seen him coming up behind me in my side mirror and he was definately doing a lot higher speed than the 50kph limit, i estimated at least 70kph, I was in car door territory on Morgan Street so was over to the left as far as I could go, there was no-one coming in the opposite direction and he passed me with only 12 inches or thereabouts....it was so bloody close...but he was going too fast for me to even get a glimpse of his number plate.

I'm really thinking if there was a decent reasonable priced camera with decent images that most cyclists could buy, and that it gets known to motorists that we do have cams activated, in time it could well curb stupid people in cars if they know they've been recorded...the difficult part of course is to get the law to act upon it.

cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:26 pm

brumby33 wrote:Just seen on FB a comment on the Fly6 by Jenica Brooke, someone who has used both the old and newer versions.

Also should mention that the new Fly6CE and Fly12CE only support up to 32GB card
i have a 64GB in my Fly6CE

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:22 pm

jasonc wrote:
brumby33 wrote:Just seen on FB a comment on the Fly6 by Jenica Brooke, someone who has used both the old and newer versions.

Also should mention that the new Fly6CE and Fly12CE only support up to 32GB card
i have a 64GB in my Fly6CE
I have an older Fly6 (believe it is gen2, pre-velcro fastening model).
That version cannot take 64gb, maxxes out at 32gb.

And to add to the conversation - I had a very close pass. Went to the local police station with video from fly6.
Constable was nice, but the duty officer was quite rude and aggressive. Basically threatened to charge me regardless of what happened to the driver.
At that point I decided I wanted to leave without any further threats to me and my safety, and he wasnt getting my ID or address as I feared for the safety of my family too.
Some in the police have a lot of hatred for cyclists - I don't have the time or appetite to fight that.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:31 am

brumby33 wrote:...he passed me with only 12 inches or thereabouts....it was so bloody close...but he was going too fast for me to even get a glimpse of his number plate...
Glad you're okay brumby. I think we've all had a close one like that that's made us pucker up :(

FWIW I've got a Fly6, the last gen before the current complete redesign. I also had the original Kickstarter Fly6 until the battery became unreliable.
Both cameras can easily identify make, model and colour, but the video quality makes it hard to read license plates clearly on anything EXCEPT a close pass. Which I suppose are really the main ones you care about.

But for $150 clearout price, I'd still recommend it. Not sure if the new one is worth $100 more?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:17 am

Mububban wrote: Not sure if the new one is worth $100 more?
picture quality is a crap load better. where you'd get half a registration, you now easily get a full one

miyoshi

Postby miyoshi » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:03 pm

I thought I'd post up the mobius setup I have been running for a number of years now. I have had to tweak a few things over the years, but the setup has been very reliable, and the cameras themselves have been rock solid

A quick rundown:
- 2 x mobius cameras, front and rear
- External battery pack with 4x18650 batteries (the best - Panasonic 3400MAH)
- battery life running both cameras is ~13hrs. I charge once a week.
- Charging via one easily accessible battery pack charging port. The charger lives where the bike is parked in the garage
- Both cameras turned on/off via one switch on the battery pack
- Battery pack displays charge level via 3 LEDs
- Entire system waterproof - front camera is in a case, rear tucked under seat (and backside) and has survived the rainiest commutes

The goal was a set-and-forget, low maintenance, dashcam-style setup with no annoying charging/turning on/off hassles. I press one button when I leave, and one button when I arrive. The only real problems I have had have been the power cables getting a bit loose in the cameras over time, or losing contact over large bumps. I have sorted that now. The cameras themselves can handle a lot of abuse.

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:29 pm

There are plenty of very cheap mini 1080p HD action cameras around 32GB card for under $50. So What exactly does cycliq give us apart from a light?

Ken

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:30 pm

kenwstr wrote:There are plenty of very cheap mini 1080p HD action cameras around, take 32GB card for under $50. So What exactly does cycliq give us apart from a light?

Ken

Nate

Postby Nate » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:19 pm

kenwstr wrote:There are plenty of very cheap mini 1080p HD action cameras around 32GB card for under $50. So What exactly does cycliq give us apart from a light?
Ken
Quality/warranty I'd say.
All aussie operation & sold here, so would operate under our consumer laws.

the cycling environment is VERY harsh on electronics, so stuff has to be made very well to survive.
i.e. copper... any cables MUST be secured with strain relief, as vibrations cause it to work harden & snap.