Video Camera who uses one?

scirocco

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby scirocco » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:05 pm

ozzymac wrote:Hi, Just wondering if anyone has noticed any sort of interference between there gopro and garmin gps?

Mine is the garmin 750 and since I put the gopro near it, it seems to be giving false speed readings, and when you stop it sits there auto resuming and stopping.
Just waiting for the new GoPro mount to get here and I will try it on the opposite side to see if it makes any difference.
I have a Contour camera and a Sigma computer which acts a bit strange sometimes when the camera is near it. So I would not be surprised to hear that the gopro does the same.

Novelty has worn off the camera and I hardly ever use it so the problem has gone away for me. :)

sli123

Postby sli123 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:06 pm

Used velcro for my Sony Action Cam today and it worked a charm. Way less vibration than the mounts.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:19 pm

What's inside a GoPro

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/477969 ... opro-hero3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interestingly they use a Sony sensor

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/GoPro+HD ... wn/12457/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:59 pm

Just put on the k-edge mount, lot more stable than the crappy gopro one.

Pic shows the difference between them.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:32 pm

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree the K-Edge mounts are far superior mounts to the supplied GoPro mounts, you still have to exercise caution. The K-Edge mounts have been known to break as well, albeit nowhere near as likely to happen as the GoPro mounts.

I use the saddle mount from K-Edge and have noticed the metal introduces a lot more vibration into the footage compared to the plastic mounts. So I use a little bit of cut up old tube between the K-Edge mount and whatever it connects to. This dampens it dramatically for the saddle mount. I also retain the fishing line connection between my camera and the saddle bag in case there is a break anywhere.

The GoPro vented helmet mount is almost bullet proof. I've crashed with the side of my head hitting the footpath (hit the curb around a corner) and the GoPro kept filming and the mount is still being used almost three years later.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:20 pm

hmmm - *images red pools of blood slooooowly oooozing onto the concrete as dark elf lies there motionless but his gopro continues to film on regardless..." :lol: :lol:

*touch wood* - hope not! :P

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:27 pm

Hmmmm, meant to cross-post about the new Panasonic HX-A100D. Don't think it been posted here previously...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:00 pm

cp123 wrote:hmmm - *images red pools of blood slooooowly oooozing onto the concrete as dark elf lies there motionless but his gopro continues to film on regardless..." :lol: :lol:

*touch wood* - hope not! :P
:-) I think I've crashed twice and both have been caught on film. 6 stitches under the chin on the second. The GoPro loved it and so did the doctor stitching me up when I said the crash would go on YouTube. He offered to take a photo of the "cut" before and after stitches shots to add to the footage. I kinda cringed and he just laughed.

The good news is a good friend of mine refused to wear a helmet until he saw my first crash with head (in helmet) hitting the ground. He was impressed with the footage but then realised what would have happened if I didn't wear a helmet.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:07 am

darkelf921 wrote:Whilst I wholeheartedly agree the K-Edge mounts are far superior mounts to the supplied GoPro mounts, you still have to exercise caution. The K-Edge mounts have been known to break as well, albeit nowhere near as likely to happen as the GoPro mounts.
I have broken one, though learnt to improve mounting positions.
The big problem with K-Edge are the screws (bolts) which I feel are poor quality and quickly fail - removing the camera regularly will do this.

On damping, something can be used though generally speaking, as the K-Edge have less flex that plastic mounts then the move with every bump, while this many not be perfectly desirable, the flex in a plastic mount means that moves around more and adds vibration and impacts the footage. The best things you can do is change tyers and tyer pressure for a softer rider.

Rear facing saddle mounted footage on the k-edge is, I find, more stable and most likely because of the body weight on the bike (where the handlebars and front fork are more susceptible to vibration and movement with less body weight).
Cycling is in my BNA

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:21 am

It's the vibration in a plastic clamp that I think is causing them to fail. The quick breaking of the gopro clamps leads me to believe that the frequency of the vibration occuring on bikes is matching the failing vibration for the plastic.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:22 am

Yep. Screws are crap. Need to replace the front one as I can't tell anymore if the alankey is secured and turning or if its just grinding away making it useless down the line. If anyone has the GoBig Pro mount you can also find on certain bikes that the brake/gear cables hitting the back to the camera. Not so much by itself but when the bigger battery pack and cover is on it I can hear it banging against the case as if the camera itself was moving around inside.

That Hero 3 mount that has the camera exposed just screams unsafe :P

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:28 am

darkelf921 wrote: He offered to take a photo of the "cut" before and after stitches shots to add to the footage. I kinda cringed and he just laughed.

i would've been a definite yes for that - but i'm a sicko...! :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:45 am

I knew if I participated in this discussion something bad would happen. This morning my saddle mounted GoPro snapped off and is now gone.

I have the K-Edge saddle mount with some plastic GoPro extension mounts so I can fit a saddle bag in with the camera further from the saddle. One of these extensions snapped. I had just changed the rear door over from the waterproof to the skeleton door, yesterday. I had forgotten to place the tie in place to hold the camera if one of the mounts snapped.

It was the HD Hero 1 with a 32GB SD card :-(

So the moral is, all GoPro mounts suck. Don't trust them. Use a laniard or fishing line or something similar to tie the camera to your seat or handle bars for WHEN the mount breaks. The helmet mount is fine.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:51 am

darkelf921 wrote:It was the HD Hero 1 with a 32GB SD card :-(
Well, it may not be much consolation, but at least you now have the opportunity to upgrade to a Hero3. :D
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:25 pm

darkelf921 wrote:I knew if I participated in this discussion something bad would happen. This morning my saddle mounted GoPro snapped off and is now gone.

I have the K-Edge saddle mount with some plastic GoPro extension mounts so I can fit a saddle bag in with the camera further from the saddle. One of these extensions snapped. I had just changed the rear door over from the waterproof to the skeleton door, yesterday. I had forgotten to place the tie in place to hold the camera if one of the mounts snapped.

It was the HD Hero 1 with a 32GB SD card :-(

So the moral is, all GoPro mounts suck. Don't trust them. Use a laniard or fishing line or something similar to tie the camera to your seat or handle bars for WHEN the mount breaks. The helmet mount is fine.
Dang sorry to hear that!

I went helmet mount today for the first time with a lanyard and the little white rubber thingie. Currently have 3 x K-Edge mounts on their way. One for each bike.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:35 pm

RonK wrote:
darkelf921 wrote:It was the HD Hero 1 with a 32GB SD card :-(
Well, it may not be much consolation, but at least you now have the opportunity to upgrade to a Hero3. :D
I already have one. It sits on my helmet. The 1 was my saddle mounted one.

I was just talking to another cyclist yesterday about how good it is to have a rear facing camera for close calls. <sigh>

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:06 am

Unbelievably, someone found my camera and handed it in to the police, who contacted me. I watched the footage from the camera and it drops off the bike as I exit a busy roundabout. It then gets run over 3 times. After the second time, it was on its back and you can see cars driving over the top and you can see the underside of the cars.

Yet the casing is still intact and usable and there is no damage to the camera. The GoPro is truly indestructible.

Now it is time to make a metal extension arm for my K-Edge saddle mount. I'll also get something like a laniard to tie it.

Phew!

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:33 am

darkelf921 wrote:Unbelievably, someone found my camera and handed it in to the police, who contacted me. I watched the footage from the camera and it drops off the bike as I exit a busy roundabout. It then gets run over 3 times. After the second time, it was on its back and you can see cars driving over the top and you can see the underside of the cars.

Yet the casing is still intact and usable and there is no damage to the camera. The GoPro is truly indestructible.

Now it is time to make a metal extension arm for my K-Edge saddle mount. I'll also get something like a laniard to tie it.

Phew!
Congratulations! That is spectacular news! I'm going to write my name and number on mine now too, just in case. What did you use to do so and where did you write it?

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:01 am

Summernight wrote:
Congratulations! That is spectacular news! I'm going to write my name and number on mine now too, just in case. What did you use to do so and where did you write it?
I was pretty stunned. I used a permanent marker both inside the battery lid and outside. I'm in the process of now using a dynamo label as well :-)

I'm now off to the hardware store to make my own extension arm to connect the K-Edge saddle mount to the camera.

Other than the helmet mount, this is the last time I rely on a GoPro mount/extension. Oh and more laniards/wire to secure the case to the bike as well :-)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:10 am

Thanks for the link. An interesting read.

Andrew

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:18 pm

Must only be a matter of time before mine breaks :D

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:30 pm

now *that's* hardcore.

:lol:

mind you - won't any footage just be hidden by mud splatters? :D

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:05 pm

Here's the footage of my GoPro snapping off and then getting run over a couple of times:

http://youtu.be/U3OpKwkjcDE

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:22 pm

darkelf921 wrote:Here's the footage of my GoPro snapping off and then getting run over a couple of times:

http://youtu.be/U3OpKwkjcDE
Totally awesome! :)
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:24 pm

So - I'm up for it - praise the lord for no debt!

anyway - is this what'll do the job? I couldn't find jumbo 808 #16. But would this do instead? is is comparable?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8GB-HD-lens- ... 2326f95b81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1200-mah-ext ... 2567d28382" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - the long life battery thing and this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Stand-bi ... 256ae9b05a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sorry guys if i'm a technological goob - i was getting a bit confused between 4 gb and 8 gb, as well as the diferences between cameras #11, #18 etc.