Video Camera who uses one?

GraemeL

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby GraemeL » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:53 am

malnar wrote:OK I'm pretty clueless. I've got some .mov files that I want to edit. Windows Movie Maker wont open them. I've downloaded both of the programs below (as recommended in Graeme L's faq), but they still wont open in WMM. I've re-started the computer but that didn't help. When I run/open the app It just launches the installation wizard again. What exactly do you do after downloading these?

Thanks

----------------

5) Q: I want to use Window Live Movie Maker to edit my Mov, Mp4 files, but it won’t import them?

A: Download >>> x264vfw Codec <<< and install it, restart your PC and see if it works.

• If that doesn’t work, download >>> FFDshow Codec <<<

------------------------------------
What version of windows are you running? Codecs are not programs and you don't run them, you install them and they are used by your editing program, in your case Windows Movie Maker.

Make sure you download the latest and correct codec for your version of windows, If you are running a 64bit windows, download the 64bit codec and not the standard version.

To see what codecs are installed

Windows 7

to see if the codecs installed on your computer, do the following:

On the Help menu, click About Windows Media Player.

If the Help menu is not visible, click Organize, point to Layout, and then select Show menu bar.

On the About Windows Media Player dialog box, click Technical Support Information.

Your web browser will open a page that includes information about the related binary files, codecs, filters, plug-ins, and services installed on your computer. Scroll down to Video Codecs.

Windows Vista

Same as Windows 7

Windows XP

Click the START button and find the Control Panel.

Click on the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties icon, select the Hardware tab and highlight (click on) Video Codecs. Then push Properties button and select the PROPERTIES tab to view installed codecs.

If you can't see the codec listed there, install it again. If you still can't get it to work, you could try the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack download it here http://download.cnet.com/K-Lite-Mega-Co ... 94603.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This may sound stupid....but....are you sure you are opening the windows movie maker program and not the codec installation program? Once you download and install the codecs, you do not need to do anything else, just open Movie Maker not the codec.

If you have windows 7, go to the start button, click on it and type in Movie Maker, it should be listed at the very top. Click on it to open it, once it's open, click on the Add Videos and Photos icon (just below animations), then select the movie you want to edit. You should then see the movie clips being loaded into the main screen, look at the very bottom on the left hand side and you will see a little bar with the words file 1 of 1, wait until the bar is totally green and disappears, it may take awhile depending on the speed of your PC. Your movie will then play and you will be able to edit it.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:10 pm

I have a front mounted gopro & am considering a rear mounted camera. When I was in jaycar today and noticed they have a HD Sports Camera with Waterproof Case for $99
Searched these forums and couldn't find any reference to it. Has anyone used one ?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:29 pm

find_bruce wrote:I have a front mounted gopro & am considering a rear mounted camera. When I was in jaycar today and noticed they have a HD Sports Camera with Waterproof Case for $99
Not used one, but two things put me off it:

720P: 1280 x 720 at 30fps and no mention of H264,

Andrew
Andrew

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:09 pm

Hi,
Anyone had a gopro mount break?

The small mount used to attach the cam to the handlebar sheared off this morning, it was just lucky that I saw it start to wobble and I grabbed it before it fell off.
Thinking might need to use some Velcro or something in case it happens again.
Thought my roads were rough......

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:21 pm

Like this?

Or the bit of plastic around the silver lock cap?

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:40 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Like this?

Or the bit of plastic around the silver lock cap?

That looks to be the same part that broke on mine.

Any ideas on how to make sure the camera doesn't hit the deck if it happens again?

What intrigues me with all the mount bits is the fact that all the connecting surfaces are smooth, so to get the joins to stop moving they need to be done up fairly tight. Not sure if over tightening would cause them to break.
But I would of thought that the joins would of had a ratchet surface on them so you would only need to finger tighten to have no movement.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:44 pm

Here is the bit that broke.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:54 pm

Just use some fishing line attached from the handlebar to the bit of metal on the back door. Just a small bit so if it falls off it doesn't fly into the wheel.

I think its just down to poor design as it is quite common with this particular type of mount compared to its brother the rollage mount. The prolonged vibrations and possible overtightening just cause it to fracture at the thinnest part which is usually at the base.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:03 pm

Does anyone make any better quality mounts.
A bit annoying you pay $400 for a camera and you could loose it because of a 20c piece of plastic.

Can you use the roll cage mount on the handlebars? If its made any better:x

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:10 pm

ozzymac wrote:Does anyone make any better quality mounts.
A bit annoying you pay $400 for a camera and you could loose it because of a 20c piece of plastic.

Can you use the roll cage mount on the handlebars? If its made any better:x

K-Edge mounts

The gopro mounts aren't too crash hot, I've got a lil lanyard for mine as a rescue strap.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:25 pm

You could also put some rubber between the mount and the handlebar to reduce the vibration going through the mount.

Depends on the size of your handlebars and stem. The rollbar mount can attach to the stem and give a very different perspective of your ride. Only problem is that your GPS may not fit on the stem anymore or there could be recording issuse as the camera would block the GPS.

k-Edge also makes a series of GoPro mounts with the saddel rail mount and the handlebar mount being the most popular. They are stronger than the gopro mounts, aren't made from plastic and offer a lifetime warranty. Pricing is about $30-60 each but the availability of getting them is the issue as not many places tend to sell them. For example a few shops in Brisbane sell the garmin mounts/chain catches but not the gopro mounts. If you live in Sydney your in luck as a few shops sell the mounts. Cell Bikes being one of them - http://www.this link is broken/brand?id=276&name=K-EDGE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:05 pm

Thanks for the info.

If there are so many people having mounts break you would think gopro would have to do something about it.

The kedge mounts look interesting.

Just have to find someone that sells them.

The cell link said no longer available.

Cheers

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:20 pm

Ah must have been because I used a search link. You can go shop by brand and select kedge or
http://www.this link is broken/K-Edge-Go-B ... -Pro-Mount" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.this link is broken/K-Edge-Go-B ... ebar-Mount" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.this link is broken/K-Edge-Go-B ... pter-Mount" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.this link is broken/K-Edge-Go-B ... Rail-Mount" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:54 pm

Gee, they are pretty hard to find.
Cell have the one that sticks out from the bars, wiggle won't have any until end of January, Amazon won't ship it here. And pushys have them with $10 postage for normal mail.

Cheers

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:34 pm

A bit of back-story to GoPro in todays Age.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:20 pm

Gopro being tortured in liquid nitrogen
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUIvUGbF ... dg&index=6[/youtube]

kirky92au

Postby kirky92au » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:27 pm

I just got a "808 #20 HD 720P Mini Car Key Chain Micro Camera", off Ebay for ~$40 from BestDVR.

I've added a piece of string to rear of the key chain and tied it off on my helmet if/when the rubber band fails.

Here a video from my ride this morning, the camera does 1280*720, but this is only 480. The quality of the video a a reasonably a bit better than what you seen in the video.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:54 pm

ozzymac wrote:Image
Here is the bit that broke.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
+1. Exactly the same thing happened to me this morning and I've only had the GoPro since Dec 20th or so. I had just decided to mount above the bar today and saw it vibrating as I rode. Grabbed the camera and the mount finished breaking with no resistance. Lucky.

K-Edge sounds good to me now.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:22 pm

kirky92au wrote: Here a video from my ride this morning, the camera does 1280*720, but this is only 480. The quality of the video a a reasonably a bit better than what you seen in the video.
Please report this. That was a very dangerous piece of driving for no gain. It just smacks of disregard for your life. You must report this please.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:05 pm

I haven't had an issue with the handlebar mount.

My Go Pro was on it for about 10hrs last week with the extra battery pack.

http://youtu.be/JYlxBJQoOuc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did have the same issue as a few months back where it just starts up and wont go any further than the little pic of the camera.

I have to remove the battery to turn it off.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:36 pm

Mugglechops wrote:I haven't had an issue with the handlebar mount.

My Go Pro was on it for about 10hrs last week with the extra battery pack.

http://youtu.be/JYlxBJQoOuc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did have the same issue as a few months back where it just starts up and wont go any further than the little pic of the camera.

I have to remove the battery to turn it off.
If you are using the same bits as what broke with us, I wouldn't trust them. I put a small lanyard off a usb drive on mine until the k-edge mount arrives that I ordered the other day.

Cheers

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has noticed any sort of interference between there gopro and garmin gps?

Mine is the garmin 750 and since I put the gopro near it, it seems to be giving false speed readings, and when you stop it sits there auto resuming and stopping.
Just waiting for the new GoPro mount to get here and I will try it on the opposite side to see if it makes any difference.

And i dont have wifi turned on in the gopro as that was the first thing I thought of.

Cheers

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:38 pm

Future developments
http://connect.dpreview.com/post/524780 ... hone-gopro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:43 pm

ozzymac wrote:Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has noticed any sort of interference between there gopro and garmin gps?

Mine is the garmin 750 and since I put the gopro near it, it seems to be giving false speed readings, and when you stop it sits there auto resuming and stopping.
Just waiting for the new GoPro mount to get here and I will try it on the opposite side to see if it makes any difference.

And i dont have wifi turned on in the gopro as that was the first thing I thought of.

Cheers

Not for me. I have my Garmin 705 on stem and my gopro with wifi back is 10cm away from it on my handlebars.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:42 pm

ozzymac wrote:Hi,

Cheers

Yes and no. The GPS needs to see the sky. If I have the GoPro on the rollbar mount on the stem and the garmin is also mounted on the stem the garmin goes a bit skitzo. For the 200 and 800 models. Just make sure there is some room around the top of the GPS.