Video Camera who uses one?

Pushy

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Pushy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:14 pm

New 808#16 V2 with D lens helmet mounted on twin led helmet lights (McGivered)
Set exposure to "Light", a compromise for dusk/night ride.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSpc6i0t ... detailpage[/youtube]
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:41 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Did you screw or cabletie?
I copied norbs today. :D Skinny steel frame helps heaps.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe0aAn6q ... iSS9TpUQ_A[/youtube]

I am just waiting for his blog post to see if I can fit it to my MTB.

LM324

Postby LM324 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:45 am

I don't know much about cameras.....Can someone please explain to me why (in the sony) it has a 16 megapixel sensor but can only shoot 2mp stills?

norbs

Postby norbs » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:17 pm

Mugglechops wrote: I am just waiting for his blog post to see if I can fit it to my MTB.

All is revealed!

New on the blog : That View from the Bottom Bracket. (HowTo) http://norbs.tk/bp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:10 pm

norbs wrote:
Mugglechops wrote: I am just waiting for his blog post to see if I can fit it to my MTB.

All is revealed!

New on the blog : That View from the Bottom Bracket. (HowTo) http://norbs.tk/bp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It works on the MTB, stand by for another video.

higdawg

Postby higdawg » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:44 pm

How many people have been caught out later reviewing the video rubber necking with a helmet mounted camera?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:05 pm

Mugglechops, is that the Rollbar mount?
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:22 am

The Sony Action Cam review is now up on BNA:
How Good is the Sony Action Cam for Capturing Video on a Bike?

Note, in the photo below, I choose to mount the camera up-side-down on the handlebars which keeps it away from the top of the handlebars and out of trouble.

Cycling is in my BNA

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:27 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Mugglechops, is that the Rollbar mount?
No just the handlebar mount. It was pretty much at the end of it's adjustment.

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:49 am

A while back I posted about Liquid Image EGO camera, so thought I'd do a bit of an update.

Still very happy with it, and I especially like the method that is used to mount it - it threads onto a standard tripod mount (1/4" gutter bolt thread) so making your own mounts is simple. Photo below shows its permanent mounting on the commuter bike:

The bracket is just an aluminium angle shaped to achieve a decent alignment of the camera. However I was really keen to get hold of a chest mount for use on the roadie and MTB, but it looks as if these are still in 'pre order' stage on the webz. I had heard that the mounting system is compatible with the GoPro stuff, so when the local JB had a special on, I went and purchased one of these to test out the theory.

While remarkably similar in appearance of both the quick release clip, and the rotating clevis there are subtle differences that need to be made for the everything to be fully compatible - but they are simple tasks.

Pictured above is the clip that comes with the EGO. I wanted to fit this straight into the GoPro harness, and all that needed to happen was that a 'poofteenth' had to be shaved from that centre groove - I had a fine sharp chisel in the shed that accomplished this in about two minutes. During a subsequent on bike test, I found that if riding the roadie on the drops, I could not tilt the camera back far enough to get a decent view of the road ahead, so I ended up placing the EGO swivel piece onto the GoPro clip - this required a bit of a fine sanding of the centre tab on the GoPro clevis as this was point something of a mm wider than the matting piece from the EGO - The sanding allowed installation without needing the apply force, and also allows smooth rotation. Below is the camera as mounted on the GoPro Harness:

Other things I have found:
The control buttons can be a bit hit and miss when riding along, the the small screen with the LCD can be difficult to see in some lighting conditions. I have missed some great CC racing action from mis-hitting the buttons, and being unable to read the display to guage the success or otherwise of starting / switching on the camera. I'm getting more used to this now, and tend to only operate the camera when stopped so I can be assured of positive engagement. This is mostly a problem with where it sits on the commuter - won't be such a big deal in the chesty.

Camera tends to get warm, and will do a self preservation shut down if it gets too hot. Have not seen this yet, but with our Tropical summer, I'll be interested to see how this handles the heat and humidity. Mind you, I'm often got a healthy headwind to ride into, so this would contribute to an overall cooling affect.

I seem to need to reformat the SD card from the Camera itself. Deleting files from the computer (and then emptying 'Trash') does not seem to convince the camera that it has spare capacity to record. This might also be due to a Linux system I use. I have successfully done a format of cards from the computer, but these were on small 4 GB cards. My new 16 GB cards seem to insist on being formatted by the camera itself. Anyway, its no biggie - in camera format is a simple manipulation of the control buttons.

When reviewing the footage straight off the camera, I still get a surprise at the clarity of the footage. I have found a good setting in my video software to retain this for various compilations I do, but there is a bit of loss when uploading to youtube.

To finish off, I suppose I should include a couple of random samples from Youtube. First Vid is 5 minutes towards the end of my commute to work in Cairns. Shows the camera performance in various lighting conditions (into sun, shade, shadow, good light etc). Also note that the way the camera is mounted, a lot of frame noise is transmitted to the camera - good for detecting brake applications etc. Second vid is chasing a departing train from its originating terminal in Cairns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDVrnoRvW28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5vBjnAL36U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS - if anyone can pass on the youtube embedding secrets in the forum, I'd be most happy!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:22 pm

oxonabike wrote:PS - if anyone can pass on the youtube embedding secrets in the forum, I'd be most happy!
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

As to the embedding issue. Its seems that with the changes to YouTube the links are no longer working consistently with the forum software :(

Andrew
Andrew

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:34 pm

Aushiker wrote:
oxonabike wrote:PS - if anyone can pass on the youtube embedding secrets in the forum, I'd be most happy!
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

As to the embedding issue. Its seems that with the changes to YouTube the links are no longer working consistently with the forum software :(

Andrew
I don't know if something has changed, but it always works for me if I used the "long" http://www.youtube.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; type links. The "youtu.be" links don't work.

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:43 pm

I don't know if something has changed, but it always works for me if I used the "long" http://www.youtube.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; type links. The "youtu.be" links don't work.
Yes, that is my experience on other forums I inhabit / administer. I tested and previewed those links before posting, but nothing seemed to want to work. Strangely enough, I have had success here on other posts.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:29 pm

Anyone else had Go Pro issues after firmware update? I used it this morning then turned it off and it wouldn't turn on past the camera icon and wouldn't turn off either. Plus my video footage was a bit jumpy.

The under BB mount on the MTB worked well though.

norbs

Postby norbs » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:40 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Anyone else had Go Pro issues after firmware update? I used it this morning then turned it off and it wouldn't turn on past the camera icon and wouldn't turn off either. Plus my video footage was a bit jumpy.

The under BB mount on the MTB worked well though.

/Borat voice - Very nice

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:41 pm

Right here. I've had a few niggling issues. Sometimes when I turn it on it will freeze on the video logo screen (like you) or it would record for 10 secs then stop. The 10 second issue seems to only be old data on the memory card which is rare but the freezing icon I don't know why. I tend to notice it does it alot more with 32gb cards but then again there have been times where it just instantly works.

On the plus side the update has done wonders for the video quality on standard (not using protune). It cut down from 30 minute files to 18 minute files but the quality is worth it imo.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:45 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
Are you replacing the youtu.be with http://www.youtube.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; yourself as YouTube is longer providing the long link option which worked before.

The YouTube interface has changed recently and hence some features related to sharing have changed.

Andrew
Andrew

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:14 pm

Aushiker wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:
Are you replacing the youtu.be with http://www.youtube.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; yourself as YouTube is longer providing the long link option which worked before.

The YouTube interface has changed recently and hence some features related to sharing have changed.

Andrew
You're right, it has just changed. Seems you can still get the full youtube.com url just from your browser's address bar though.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:55 am

InTheWoods wrote:
You're right, it has just changed. Seems you can still get the full youtube.com url just from your browser's address bar though.
I know I am right :)

I tried the URL yesterday and it didn't work with the partiuclary video. Seems a bit hit and miss.

Andrew
Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:40 pm

So I grabbed a filter to filter out direct sunlight hitting my gopro on my commutes. Got the lense off and wasn't aware that the glass lense had landed in my lap off my desk somehow. Stood up and there it goes to the ground with a crack on the side of it :evil: Took a few test photos and the crack wasn't evident in the photos, ok looking good. 4hrs of video and no sign of crack in video, but I can still see it. I'm going to see if I can replace the lense, or if I have to get a new housing. Water may ingress thru that crack now, oh well at least it's summer.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:55 pm

For the lense on the GoPro waterproof casing you can buy replacement lenses. I got myself a few as a backup.
Cycling is in my BNA

norbs

Postby norbs » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:01 am

AUbicycles wrote:For the lense on the GoPro waterproof casing you can buy replacement lenses. I got myself a few as a backup.
It is literally a 3 minute job to change them out.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:35 pm

Founder of GoPro now a billionaire apparently ...

An infusion of cash into GoPro, the wearable action-camera company, makes its founder, Nicholas Woodman, a billionaire.

That’s according to an article today on Forbes.com, which cites a $200 million investment by Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., the world’s largest electronics manufacturing company, as pushing the value of the company to $2.25 billion.

Since Woodman owns more than 50% of GoPro, the Forbes article cites, his net worth is ostensibly more than $1 billion. This makes the 36-year-old surfing junkie likely the richest man in the entire outdoors world.

Source: GearJunkie.com

Andrew
Andrew

herzog

Postby herzog » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:42 pm

Well done to him you have to say.

How did the Canons and Sonys of the world miss this boat so badly that a little guy steps up and creates a billion dollar business from nothing?

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:15 pm

herzog wrote:Well done to him you have to say.

How did the Canons and Sonys of the world miss this boat so badly that a little guy steps up and creates a billion dollar business from nothing?
+1

There are still so many opportunities out there for people who are willing to think outside of the box.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA