johnm_oz

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby johnm_oz » Mon May 21, 2012 3:29 pm

Lefty76 wrote:I went as cheap as possible, and bought one of these for $35:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-0-mega-p ... slot-37717

Here's the result (with some quick editing):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Ybfpyb91c

Not to bad for the price.
Can you resolve numberplates on the original? I wasn't able to on the youtube version. Looks good, tho.

Cheers
JM

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon May 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Pushy wrote:GoPro stuff on special at Cell if anyone is interested.
Their chest mounts sold out pretty quick and the price wasn't that competitive.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Lefty76

Postby Lefty76 » Mon May 21, 2012 4:02 pm

johnm_oz wrote: Can you resolve numberplates on the original? I wasn't able to on the youtube version. Looks good, tho.

Cheers
JM
You can. Usually.
It records at 1280 x 960 at 29FPS. The image quality OK, but not great. There are some issues with blurriness over exposure when the light changes. It has a mic, but it might as well not have. Completely useless.

It's definitely more suited to uploading a bit of fun to YouTube rather than gathering evidence for road rage cases. :)

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

johnm_oz wrote:
Lefty76 wrote:I went as cheap as possible, and bought one of these for $35:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-0-mega-p ... slot-37717

Here's the result (with some quick editing):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Ybfpyb91c

Not to bad for the price.
Can you resolve numberplates on the original? I wasn't able to on the youtube version. Looks good, tho.

Cheers
JM
You would struggle to get plates. The camera is only SD Video format: AVI (640x480 (AT) 30 fps) and not HD.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

fastwheels

Postby fastwheels » Tue May 22, 2012 11:39 am

Those looking for GoPro2's could try out Torpedo7
Looks like they're on sale!

GoPro Hero2 Outdoor and Motorsports editions $299.99 each
Chest mount $39.99
LCD Bacpac $99.99
Wrist housing $39.99
Helmet front mount $14.99
Suction cup mount $29.99
Vented helmet strap $14.99

Wishing I hadn't bought mine (plus all the accessories) at the more expensive price now!

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Tue May 22, 2012 1:26 pm

fastwheels wrote: Chest mount $39.99
LCD Bacpac $99.99
Wrist housing $39.99
Helmet front mount $14.99
Suction cup mount $29.99
That's more like it! Thanks fw :-)
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu May 24, 2012 11:38 am

Tried a different view today (with a small CCR win), might stick with this one but push the bracket out wider.
Thoughts on front vs rear view?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q3-o0-px4s&?hd=1[/youtube]

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu May 24, 2012 11:44 am

Crawf wrote:Tried a different view today (with a small CCR win), might stick with this one but push the bracket out wider.
Thoughts on front vs rear view?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q3-o0-px4s&?hd=1[/youtube]
I didn't want to see that! :shock:

No seriously, there's a lot of obstructions in that shot, it would be better to have it on your seatpost or saddle facing backwards. I've got mine mounted under my saddle and its very stable there using a twofish lockblock. As a bonus I use the lockblock to mount my zebralight h51r red light at night, and shine it up at alfoil under the saddle, which gives me a nice amount of rear and side red light (i use it in medium mode, high is too bright at night).

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Thu May 24, 2012 11:53 am

I agree, there is too much in the shot.
If you want to try different angles try mounting it on the quick release, either front or rear, you have the option to face it forward or backward in either position. It gives a different perspective, take a look at the video I posted on the previous page.

Graeme

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 25, 2012 3:08 pm

These Lezyne LED mounts look interesting. I wonder if the mount can be modified to take a camera.

Andrew

csy75

Postby csy75 » Fri May 25, 2012 3:39 pm

that looks like my helmet mount for the gopro...

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Fri May 25, 2012 6:57 pm

GoPro users, would you like to have a chest mount?

Some time ago I advised GoPro users that you could make a chest mount using the plastic base that came with your GoPro and I said when I had a chance I would see if I could make one and post it for you all.
Well today I had a choice, keep painting the exterior of the house or go down to the shed and play around, I chose the shed :)

This is easily made using the plastic base that came in the box for your GoPro, some strapping and a buckle, some double sided velcro and about 30 mins. You will also need the GoPro's J Hook Buckle

The Parts needed

Cut four slits into the plastic base, you could also round off the corners.

I used an old strap that I bought at Bunnings, it is 25mm wide and 2.75mtrs long and comes with a quick release buckle, the cost is approx $7. The double sided velcro is also at Bunnings in the same isle.
Cut one piece long enough to just fit around your chest, you will need to also allow for the buckle. Next you want to create a Y in the back, cut a small piece that will be the bottom of a Y, cut two lengths to go over your shoulders. Stitch the bottom of the Y to the Chest Strap, next stitch the two Shoulder Straps to the top of it so it forms a Y on your back.

Now for the front, thread the Chest Strap through the two bottom slits in the base and attach the buckle, be sure to have the buckle just off to the side or it may rattle against the plate. Thread the shoulder straps through the slits on the top corners, be sure to have enough strap so you can adjust it if need be. Stitch the double sided velcro to each of the shoulder straps, these will be used to lock off the shoulder straps and also adjust the tightness.

Finished

You could also stitch in some short strips of elastic, maybe on the sides of the chest strap and also on back of the shoulder straps. This may prove to be a bit more flexible and comfortable.

I didn't have time to try it out on the bike, instead I went outside and jut jumped up and down along my driveway.

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Fri May 25, 2012 7:10 pm

Something else I came across for GoPro Users. GoRemote, remotely control your GoPro, it connects to the Bus Port on the GoPro and costs $59US.
As you probably already know GoPro are going to release a WI-FI Remote, but there is no pricing yet, so the GoRemote may be a cheaper option.

http://goremote.bymac.org/

Graeme

newbikeorupgrade

Postby newbikeorupgrade » Fri May 25, 2012 8:24 pm

I bought a chest mount but I can understand how you made yours!!! nice work...
But I think the real one is more solid.
I do have the problem of it picking up my heart beat I only realized when it was connected to the sub.
I'm thinking of putting foam between mount and chest.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sat May 26, 2012 11:24 am

newbikeorupgrade wrote:I bought a chest mount but I can understand how you made yours!!! nice work...
But I think the real one is more solid.
I do have the problem of it picking up my heart beat I only realized when it was connected to the sub.
I'm thinking of putting foam between mount and chest.
I also have the chest mount and I agree it is very good and is made from elastic material so it is very comfortable to wear as well.
The DIY mount is for those that don't want to or can't afford to buy the GoPro chest mount. There were a few members that were interested in it after seeing some footage posted by Trailgumby. A lot of people don't realise the box the GoPro comes in has a very useable plastic base.

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sat May 26, 2012 11:57 am

Yet another option for GoPro users, Unruly make Cases, Latches and Lenses for your GoPro,

Their Pro Case is the HeadCase Pro and apart from being bomb proof, it has 9 mounting points and although it's expensive $348, this must be the ultimate case.

Headcase Pro is a lightweight, multi-mount protective case for gopro, cut from a single block of aircraft grade aluminum.
  • features

Compatible with the gopro hero and hero ii.
    Sealed buttons, windows and door keep dirt and moisture out.
    Rugged aluminum and stainless steel construction.
    9x quarter-twenty threaded holes give unlimited mounting options.
    Incorporates gopro six-screw mount for ultimate compatibility
    Included screw lets you to bolt the case shut for extreme situations.
    Access all cable ports by removing the sealed rubber side inserts.
    All tally lights on the hero ii remain visible via clear tubes.
    The front lcd and tally light are protected behind a sealed, clear acrylic window.
    Super-strong rare earth magnets and a patent pending cam latch keep the door securely shut in all conditions.
    A single reversible-flippable rubber hood with acrylic window eliminates multiple doors. 1 hood = 4 accessories.
Image Image

More info http://www.lifeisunruly.com/headgear-r/index.html

Graeme

johnm_oz

Postby johnm_oz » Mon May 28, 2012 6:43 pm

johnm_oz wrote:
GraemeL wrote:
johnm_oz wrote: Yeh, I'm hoping to be able to use some sort of supplementary battery if I need to extend the time. According to CooD it comes with Superlock, helmet straps and mounts to suit, a handlebar mount and a tripod mount and is supposed to be compatible with Go-Pro mounting systems.

Built in GPS and G sensor appeals to me.

Cheers
JM
Being able to use GoPro mounts would be a very good selling point as well. I wonder what the battery use is like with GPS enabled?
How long before you get it?

It seems the GPS module is an optional extra and is not standard.

Graeme
IME from Cood about 10 days to 2 weeks. Yeh I assume the GPS'll severely limit the battery life, that's why I'm hoping to be able to use an extension powersource.

The CooD package is advertised as being bundled with the GPS module and a 16G card. If it doesn't come with them it'll go back...

Love the dog's eye view, now I know why legs hold such a fascination for them, that's about all they see!

I'll be replicating your QR bracket now so I can use the Otek as a rear camera.

Cheers
JM
It arrived today. First impressions are excellent, GPS module and 16G micro SD included as advertised. Comes with a little remote, yet to work out why you'd want that. Mounting options are as described, helmet mount with an assortment of straps and pads, some superlock, handlebar mount and tripod socket. Don't know what the GoPro mount looks like, but I've taken a couple of photos of the package contents and I'll make sure the mounting system is visible.

Strapped it on the mountain bike (handlebar mount)and went for an hours ride along the foreshore this arvo, again first impressions are good. Video is nice and steady, car numberplates are clearly resolvable at speed. Microphone level was way too high, as soon as I started doing any speed the tyre whine overloaded it badly, but level is adjustable so I'll have a play with that. Got to have a play with the helmet mounting options, too, as that's where I want to put it when I'm on the roady, glad I didn't have it there this arvo, I nearly took my head off on a low branch as it was...

Battery seems ok, it wasn't fully charged when I left, and there still seemed to be a goodly bit left in at the end, I had the GPS and G sensors enabled to maximise the load. Can't see any way of using a supplementary pack, but it's a 5 second job to pop a freshly charged one in, so a spare battery will be handy. It didn't come with a mains charger, it's just charged via a USB lead, but one of those generic lipo chargers should work ok if you need an external charger. Couple of nice featuresit has- you can use the G sensor to line it up flat and level, and there's a laser aiming pointer that comes on for the first 10 (settable) seconds of recording. HDMI output works well and it comes with a mini to standard HDMI lead. You can overlay GPs data including speed, G sensor data and of couse timestamp directly on the video as it records, too.

Software's a bit clunky, but works ok, and I'm sure there are a heap of 'dashboard' programs out there. Video format it uses is .mov, so you need quicktime, and it writes a .map file which will be the GPS and G sensor data. So far I'm impressed, I'll post the pictures and a bit of video as soon as I can.

Here's the package:

I'll probably upload some video tomorrow.

Cheers
JM

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 30, 2012 10:59 pm

CycleGaz takes a bit of a look at Highlight Hunter. Looks interesting.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQZU3cFaa0U&hd=1[/youtube]

Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:13 pm

Not sure if this cam has been posted previously, but when I was looking for a retailer to order a GoPro Wi Fi Back and Remote, I stumbled across the interesting looking cam which already does wifi streaming and is competitively priced with the Hero 2.

It's the Ion Air Pro Wi Fi, Here's a review.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ozdavo

Worlds Smallest Hd Digital Video Camera MiniDVR???

Postby ozdavo » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:56 pm

Anyone used/have one of these Worlds Smallest Hd Digital Video Camera Mini DVR (eb@y link)

Seem alright for the sub $20 price (specs similiar to 808 Jumbo?)

Main issues I see are:
1) Waterproof (or lack there of) - Creativity/ingenuity should sort that.
2) Mounting - Creativity/ingenuity should sort that.
3) Battery Life - Includes External Battery "Bottle", single AA size... easy to carry spares.

Products Description:
Smallest mini DV with powerful functions. Functions including: camera, video recoding, sound recording, webcam, motion detection, etc. 1280*960 high resolution. Adds more fun to your everyday life. Ideal for travelling and other outdoor activities.

Features:
The smallest mini DV: 4.5cm×2.9cm×1.0cm, 15g.
Video resolution: 1280*960.
Picture resolution: 5 mega pixel (interpolated by software), 3 mega pixel (recommended).
Powerful functions: camera, video recorder, sound recorder, and webcam.
Advanced video motion detection function. (As long as objects move into effective range of the lens, this mini DV will begin recording video automatically without pushing any buttons by yousrself.)
Playing while charging.
Supports time and date display.
Supports Micro SD/TF card up to 16GB. (memory cards NOT included)
Charged via USB port or powered by connecting 1 x AA battery (emergency).
Comes with a mini iron case.
Perfect companion while you're shopping, hiking, travelling and other outdoor activities.
Can add fun and color to your life, not a professional camera though.

Specifications:
Image sensor: CMOS image sensor
Lens angle: 60 degrees
Video resolution: VGA?1280*960 (AT) 30fps
Picture resolution: 5 mega pixel (interpolated by software), 3 mega pixel (recommended)
Webcam resolution: 320*240
Format: AVI (video), JPG (picture), WAV (soud)
Video compression: M-JPEG
Charging time: About 3 hours
Play time per charge: About 85 mins (video recording), About 3 hours (sound recording)
Memory: Micro SD (TF)
Battery: Built-in 220mA rechargeable battery
Input: DC-5V
Charged by: USB port or 1x external AA battery
Color: Black
Camera weight: 15g
Camera size: 45mm x 29mm x 10mm

NOTE:
Import duties,taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges.These charges are the buyer's responsibility.
Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying.

Package Include:
1 x Mini DV
1 x Wrist Strap
1 x Mini USB Cable (connecting external AA battery)
1 x USB Charging Cable
1 x USB Data Transmission Cable
1 x Battery Bottle (1 x AA battery)
1 x CD (user manual and driver)
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:02 pm

Anyone used/have one of these
Yep got one very similar, as in the 1280 x 960 is the same, but then the front label states 3.0 mega pixels. Reasonable but very grainy picture, but it could capture rego plates if not too far away, and if the camera wasn't shaking around too much at the time. Does not deal well low light or lighting changes. Have since got hold of a Kaiser bass, which does a better job, but have considered mounting the old one as a rear facing.

I think for an extra $10 there is a waterproof version.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:17 pm

@graemeL: Like your chest mount - very clever :D

The only mod I'd suggest is to round the corners to at least 25mm diameter quarter-circles. Four or so weeks ago I went over the front of the bike on a section of techy mountain bike trail and landed on the GoPro, cracking a rib.

What those sharp corners would do to you with your full bodyweight landing on them from handlebar height is not a nice thought :oops:

(Oh, and the GoPro is fine. Thanks for asking :P ;) )

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:15 pm

at Highly Tuned Athletes. HTA is a great retailer in my experience. Very good after sales service.

Andrew

Dr_Mutley

Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:35 pm

Does any of these cameras record in a cyclical fashion? ie: record continuously and just record over the oldest footage? Thinking of using one of these in a car as recording device, and have it set to just record continuously when the cars on...

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:39 am

Dr_Mutley wrote:Does any of these cameras record in a cyclical fashion? ie: record continuously and just record over the oldest footage? Thinking of using one of these in a car as recording device, and have it set to just record continuously when the cars on...
From what I have read the Swann Freestyle HD will do this.