Video Camera who uses one?

cjrich

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby cjrich » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:00 am

PiratePete wrote:What are you chasing? I have a mix of bits floating around, including a couple of the alloy GoPro chassis mounts.
Thanks for quick response PP.
This is the one I'm after, (the fixed version, not the original version that swivels around).
As the curved section of this mount breaks from vibration, I'd also be interested to try GoPro setup if you wanted to offload them. FWIW I mount the camera under the bars.
Cheers
CJ
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:59 pm

@cjrich - sent you a PM.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:13 pm

Hi guys, I'm about to buy a Fly6 but curious to know how it goes capturing rego plates at night time?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:19 pm

vbplease, you will have difficulty capturing number plates at night time with any camera, Either it is too dark or if there is light, the reflective glare over-exposes the numberplate. Then add in factors such as distance and speed.

Not impossible - but poor light conditions are simply tough.
Cycling is in my BNA

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:35 pm

Vbplease - I've got in the habit of yelling out the rego twice. The mic works well for that

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:49 pm

Thanks guys. That's a shame to hear.. I suppose it will be better than nothing.

I guess if it's a troublesome car that comes close enough to cause impact from behind it should have a pretty good chance at getting the plate? Not as worried about people just honking etc..

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:19 pm

The closer the vehicle, the better the chance although that isn't the intention.

With the camera you have far more to go with than without.
Cycling is in my BNA

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:43 pm

jasonc wrote:Vbplease - I've got in the habit of yelling out the rego twice. The mic works well for that
Yep I've taken to doing the same. And as AUbicycles mentioned, you've at least got a make, model and colour to go on as a starting point.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:28 pm

vbplease wrote:Hi guys, I'm about to buy a Fly6 but curious to know how it goes capturing rego plates at night time?
Mixed success, like the others I call out the rego number as the plate is often over/under exposed for either front or rear camera and the microphones on the Fly6 and Fly12 both pick up audio well. That being said, if you view the footage using your editing software of choice normally I have found at least one frame where the plate is readable. Here's one of my videos where I have paused the footage on a single frame. I did have another on Youtube taken in complete darkness, but it looks like they must drop the files after a while.

Yes this was reported and successfully dealt with by QPS.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:27 pm

This image may also be of interest - from a while back on the Gen1 Fly6.

What it shows is a vehicle that is passing safely (thank you) and is 'relatively' far away. A bad driver will be closer. There are 9 frames which I cut to demonstrate how you can look through the individual frames to help identify the numberplate. Also by scrubbing and moving the play-head back and forth on the video, the human eye can also help decipher the characters. Closer it is easier - but affected by the light conditions.

I am experienced with digital editing so can also put screengrabs into editing programs and adjust details such as contrast and sharpness as well as a few other tricks. If you get stuck identifying the numberplate - getting an expert onboard with their CSI skills can help get you closer to identifying a vehicle.

With regard to calling the numberplate, it is a great idea that I think is actually worth practising because in the heat of a near miss, it is easy not to do this.

Cycling is in my BNA

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:33 pm

So I've got rear camera footage from last Sunday of a Highway Patrol flashing his lights and alarm at a group of four of us, 2 abreast, multi-lane 60km/hr road heading out to Palm Beach. He wanted us to ride single file in the bus lane which was, being a sunday, filled with cars.

Wondering if we should bother submitting a formal report on the officer?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:21 pm

ItsDank wrote:So I've got rear camera footage from last Sunday of a Highway Patrol flashing his lights and alarm at a group of four of us, 2 abreast, multi-lane 60km/hr road heading out to Palm Beach. He wanted us to ride single file in the bus lane which was, being a sunday, filled with cars.

So you were legally riding two abreast in the bus lane. I'd be contacting the HP driver and asking why he was flashing his lights and alarm. He could well be ignorant of the law, it wouldn't be the first time a police officer wasn't aware that cyclists could ride two abreast.

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:24 pm

biker jk wrote:
ItsDank wrote:So I've got rear camera footage from last Sunday of a Highway Patrol flashing his lights and alarm at a group of four of us, 2 abreast, multi-lane 60km/hr road heading out to Palm Beach. He wanted us to ride single file in the bus lane which was, being a sunday, filled with cars.

So you were legally riding two abreast in the bus lane. I'd be contacting the HP driver and asking why he was flashing his lights and alarm. He could well be ignorant of the law, it wouldn't be the first time a police officer wasn't aware that cyclists could ride two abreast.
No the bus lane was next to us, three lanes in total. Bus lane - Lane 1 - Lane 2

We were in lane 1 riding two abreast but as the footage will show, there are cars parked in the bus lane.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:31 pm

ItsDank wrote:
biker jk wrote:

No the bus lane was next to us, three lanes in total. Bus lane - Lane 1 - Lane 2

We were in lane 1 riding two abreast but as the footage will show, there are cars parked in the bus lane.
Ok, I see now. Still, there' no requirement to ride in the bus lane on a multi lane road and with parked cars in the bus lane it would be extremely dangerous.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:02 pm

ItsDank, my suggestion - write to the area commander of the police on the premise of seeking clarification.

Describe the situation and note that you understand that you understand that it was in compliance with laws and was safe. Request clarification on this.

The goal would be to raise it to the attention of senior officers who can then inform their patrol officers - and if it is formulated in a polite manner, you have the benefit of not directly targeting an officer (and putting them on the defence).

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:40 pm

If you get a fob off post it on dash Cam Australia Facebook page

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:11 pm

jasonc wrote:If you get a fob off post it on dash Cam Australia Facebook page
LOL those guys love cyclists. Can just see myself getting roasted in the comments section already :p

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:29 am

ItsDank wrote:
Most definitely!
Not only were they applying their personal opinion (not the law), they put you at risk by expecting you to ride in the door zone.

tomee

Postby tomee » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:02 pm

I am using Garmin Virb to use overlay on my FLY12 footage.
one thing i notice that is missing is Power overlay.

does anyone know how i can get this in Garmin Virb software?

i am using the GPX file from Strava

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:32 pm

tomee wrote:I am using Garmin Virb to use overlay on my FLY12 footage.
one thing i notice that is missing is Power overlay.

does anyone know how i can get this in Garmin Virb software?

i am using the GPX file from Strava
Use the fit file from your Garmin. Gpx files don't have power

tomee

Postby tomee » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:51 am

jasonc wrote: Use the fit file from your Garmin. Gpx files don't have power

got it.
thanks!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:47 am

sad day. i think my fly6 is going to die soon. the charging light has been on for ~24 hours now (whilst plugged in and charging)

:(

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:17 pm

jasonc wrote:sad day. i think my fly6 is going to die soon. the charging light has been on for ~24 hours now (whilst plugged in and charging)

Today my mount split vertically causing the fly6 to go flying on a bumpy bit of path. Refused to re-start initially, and thought it was cactus. However when tested later it started up okay. Have a few options for a mounting repair, but I recall it came with two, so I'll see if I can find the other. But alas, battery only good for two commutes now, and not all week like when it was new.

Nate

Postby Nate » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:35 pm

ItsDank wrote:
jasonc wrote:If you get a fob off post it on dash Cam Australia Facebook page

I'd be making some inquiries as to why it was necessary to do the whole lights thing...
- what was the urgent job they were on their way to
- why didnt they have their lights on the whole time

They have made the decision to put YOUR safety at risk, because of their impatience. Simply not on.

mmc22

Postby mmc22 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:29 pm

jasonc wrote:sad day. i think my fly6 is going to die soon. the charging light has been on for ~24 hours now (whilst plugged in and charging)

same thing happened to mine... eventually wouldn't hold charge. Contacted them. sent it back and they sent me a new one. Probably more than 12 months use before something went wrong.