Video Camera who uses one?

enduro2

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby enduro2 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:56 pm

PiratePete wrote:.

This morning I had a cyclist do a particularly silly thing so I thought I'd highlight it. This cyclist made her way up the left side of my vehicle while I was indicating to turn left at a roundabout. I knew she was at the back of the vehicle as I was waiting my turn, when I was able to enter the roundabout, besides seeing and reacting to a car shooting through the intersection, I scanned the FOUR mirrors on my left side and she was gone! Only a second before she was still clipped in and at my back wheels, guessing that she was now in my blind spot beside my front left wheel I hit the picks and then the horn. As you can see in the video, she just rode around the corner, only looking to see if there was something crossing my path.
She's an ignoramus.

It's illegal to overtake a vehicle on the left. It's illegal for a cyclist to overtake a vehicle on the left if the vehicle is turning left.

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:44 pm

Came across these fellas on the local shared pathway this arvo...

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:12 pm

Anyone used one of these?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GUB-Bicycle- ... 4yD80X1ECA
Suggestions for a reasonably priced alternative?
Dogs are the best people :wink:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:28 pm

^^bought it. I'll post up if it's any good, not that I have anything to compare it to.

bicyclewarrior

Postby bicyclewarrior » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:21 pm

I bought one of those mounts about a month ago. Holds my Garmin and a Shimano camera. Seems well made and is very stable. Much better than a plastic mount I replaced.
Denis

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:29 pm

bicyclewarrior wrote:I bought one of those mounts about a month ago. Holds my Garmin and a Shimano camera. Seems well made and is very stable. Much better than a plastic mount I replaced.
Denis
Thanks Denis, much appreciated :)
I'm clueless with repect to cameras and accessories.

ajmit3

Postby ajmit3 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:53 am

Got a new as 50 Sony actioncam taking to Japan on a helmet mount - any tips ?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:19 pm

bicyclewarrior wrote:I bought one of those mounts about a month ago. Holds my Garmin and a Shimano camera. Seems well made and is very stable. Much better than a plastic mount I replaced.
Denis
Got it this week. It does seem well made.
Very happy.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:29 pm

ajmit3 wrote:Got a new as 50 Sony action cam taking to Japan on a helmet mount - any tips ?
I made a bracket up for my Sony when I bought it to fit onto the side of the helmet, they look a bit geeky on top of the helmet..

But better than not having it on.... :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:49 am

CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:29 am

The biggest challenge of the Shimano cameras was quality (based on feedback of a professional videographer who has extensively used all the major sport action camera brands).

I was expecting the announcement would cover improved footage quality - particularly as the Shimano Action Cameras are very much bike specific rather than general action cams like the GoPro. The review notes that the Shimano camera doesn't upgrade to 4K (like the GoPro Hero 5 Black and the Garmin Virb Ultra 30). Video resolution however doesn't automatically mean better quality but the GoPro has proven itself but the pricing between the three units is comparable.

Highlight features of the Shimano are a Di2 integration and power metre (?) integration and the ability to trigger recording based on events. I get it, but the tendency would be to want to capture everything and from the entire footage, select the highlights rather than rely on triggering or starting recording for specific situations. My assumption is that riders may try it, however these features may not present themselves as truely useful (and am willing to be proven wrong).

I would expect that riders who are seeking to capture specific footage would be better off manually stopping and starting.

Shimano still have an advantage through their name and also ability to access pro-cyclists and position their product - would be keen to test and compare and see for myself.
Cycling is in my BNA

Rodgerbiltit
Location: The best place in Australia and the world for bicycle touring!

Postby Rodgerbiltit » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:01 am

Wanting to setup two Mobius' as forward/rearward "safety/crash cameras", but foresee the need to have some form of timer switch/shut-down in the event of having an "off (or run-over)" episode to stop the recording. The cameras would be on loop record and attached to a battery which would cause them to record over the "incident" if left on.
Does anyone know of such a device (or clever person capable of designing/building one) that I could incorporate into my setup/onto my bike?

Cowcorner

Postby Cowcorner » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:25 pm

Rodgerbiltit wrote:Wanting to setup two Mobius' as forward/rearward "safety/crash cameras", but foresee the need to have some form of timer switch/shut-down in the event of having an "off (or run-over)" episode to stop the recording. The cameras would be on loop record and attached to a battery which would cause them to record over the "incident" if left on.
Does anyone know of such a device (or clever person capable of designing/building one) that I could incorporate into my setup/onto my bike?
I suppose it depends on how long your rides are. Prior to December, my rides were mostly commuting, which meant that I could get away with a 32gb card (which is good for about 5 hours at 1080p and 30fps) and I would just run it without looping. I would then just clear the files every 2 days or so to make sure I was running a reasonably empty card at the beginning of each commute.
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:18 pm

Rodgerbiltit wrote:Wanting to setup two Mobius' as forward/rearward "safety/crash cameras", but foresee the need to have some form of timer switch/shut-down in the event of having an "off (or run-over)" episode to stop the recording. The cameras would be on loop record and attached to a battery which would cause them to record over the "incident" if left on.
Put the battery in your pocket. If you are separated from the bike that will cut the power, and you can set the mobius up to record and stop recording when it has power via the usb (for dashcam use basically).

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:20 pm

Anyone have any experiences with Drift Innovations cameras? I'm condiering buying the soon to be released Drift Ghost 4K. My only concern is the robustness of the tripod screw mount as I need to mount it upside down under the bars using a GoPro adaptor. Concerned that road vibration may damage the screw mount or housing.
Thanks
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:34 pm

Harvey normal have the go pro hero for $199

bicyclewarrior

Postby bicyclewarrior » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:01 pm

With regard to Drift cameras, I have been using a Drift Stealth 2 mounted under my seat for 2 years. It has been excellent even with water spray etc. The mount has given no trouble.
Denis

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:46 am

bicyclewarrior wrote:With regard to Drift cameras, I have been using a Drift Stealth 2 mounted under my seat for 2 years. It has been excellent even with water spray etc. The mount has given no trouble.
Denis
Thank Denis. Also tempted by the Stealth 2 as they are quite cheap at the moment due to the imminent release of the Ghost 4K. Most important to me is battery life, min 3 hours. Fly12 covers this but it's massive and I don't need another front light.
Cheers
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:58 am

Could have used a drift camera today, a turn became a right angled skid and it was all a bit surprising as I drifted but I was able to hold it and stay upright. (commuter / touring style bike). Perhaps a camera man would have given a better perspective than an onboard camera.
Cycling is in my BNA

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:15 pm

Another DriftHD user here. Both the Ghost and Stealth (broke the Ghost and one stealth - water issue and the place I got it from no longer had stock of them so I got a shimano camera as a replacement). The other 2 stealth cameras are going strong. When its night time change the exposure to -1 for best results. Only downside is the audio with the wind noise but apart from that they are great cameras.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:26 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Only downside is the audio with the wind noise but apart from that they are great cameras.
There is an accessory for this, sticky-tape one of these bad boys over the microphone.

Once you fix the wind noise, you are left with the pleasure of pure road noise.
Cycling is in my BNA

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:16 pm

Mububban wrote:The makers of Fly6 and Fly12 are doing another Kickstarter for a dual mount arm that takes your Garmin and your Fly12/GoPro etc on one slim handlebar space:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fl ... bike-mount

I just received my Cycliq Duo Mounts from the January delivery Kickstarter purchase. The mount for my Wahoo Elemnt computer doesn't work. The Kickstarter advertising says compatible with Wahoo computers and the mount that looks like my existing Elemnt mounts doesn't work with my computer. The tab cut out appear to be a fraction too small. I'm not prepared to damage my computer mounting tab to jam it into a Cycliq mount which is too small.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:11 pm

biker jk wrote:I just received my Cycliq Duo Mounts from the January delivery Kickstarter purchase. The mount for my Wahoo Elemnt computer doesn't work. The Kickstarter advertising says compatible with Wahoo computers and the mount that looks like my existing Elemnt mounts doesn't work with my computer. The tab cut out appear to be a fraction too small. I'm not prepared to damage my computer mounting tab to jam it into a Cycliq mount which is too small.
I can't say for sure as I'm yet to take the plunge on an Elemnt, but Cycliq are using Tate Lab's Bar Fly SLi inserts on the Duo Mount so I would expect that the Wahoo adapter would be tried and tested.

I can say that on the Bar Fly Sli and the Duo Mount my Magellan Cyclo 505 insert was tight/firm compared with the OEM mount. I've covered a couple of thousand K's with the Duo Mount now without any issues.

If uncomfortable I'd suggest giving the Cycliq folks a call as you may have received a dodgy insert.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:10 am

PiratePete wrote:
biker jk wrote:I just received my Cycliq Duo Mounts from the January delivery Kickstarter purchase. The mount for my Wahoo Elemnt computer doesn't work. The Kickstarter advertising says compatible with Wahoo computers and the mount that looks like my existing Elemnt mounts doesn't work with my computer. The tab cut out appear to be a fraction too small. I'm not prepared to damage my computer mounting tab to jam it into a Cycliq mount which is too small.
I can't say for sure as I'm yet to take the plunge on an Elemnt, but Cycliq are using Tate Lab's Bar Fly SLi inserts on the Duo Mount so I would expect that the Wahoo adapter would be tried and tested.

I can say that on the Bar Fly Sli and the Duo Mount my Magellan Cyclo 505 insert was tight/firm compared with the OEM mount. I've covered a couple of thousand K's with the Duo Mount now without any issues.

If uncomfortable I'd suggest giving the Cycliq folks a call as you may have received a dodgy insert.
I have a support ticket with Cycliq and yesterday sent Andrew Hagen a photo of the puck on the mount. Not sure why they requested a photo since the two Cyliq Wahoo pucks (I bought two Duo mounts) both didn't fit. I read about another Duo Mount purchaser who had the same problem with the Wahoo puck (mentioned a month ago) and had to use a dremel and sandpaper to get it to work but he says it's still tight. I wonder whether Cycliq tested Tate Labs' Wahoo puck?

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:44 am

Thanks to those who gave me feedback on the Drift cameras. I had some US$ left over from a trip and took a punt and ordered a Stealth2 for US$120 delivered. Still probably get the newer Ghost 4K model when it comes out but no rush now, Stealth2 can go on the back of the bike then.
Cheers
CJ
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3