Video Camera who uses one?

Livetoride

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Livetoride » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:26 pm

Oxford wrote:Driver didn't say anything much after that on the advice from his brother and wont be contesting the tickets.
Just the reason I use one, no he said/she said rubbish. Just a please explain what you were doing.[/quote]

Am on the hunt for a camera myself, front and rear but all of the cams I look at only have a 2.5 or 3hr battery, my weekend rides are 5-6 hours...so need a good long life battery cam. Your quality looked awesome.... which one do you have...
Happy Days

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:37 pm

geoffs wrote:Hi Steve,
all the cyclists were riding in the right hand lane as the left hand lane has parked cars. The ride has quiet a few beginner riders who have zero bunch skills. I do agree the bunch has to be tighter however it only takes a moment for gaps to appear. There will be a discussion regarding this before the next rider and the instructions will be firmer. The ride goes hough there at 6:50 am when there isn't much traffic around.We do try to let any vehicles that were behind us on edgeware rd go through before we move into the right hand lane
As Geoff knows, I have some thoughts about what I viewed.

1. There is no excuse for what that driver did.

2. However, the riders in that group were insufficiently skilled, fit and/or experienced enough to ride in a group of that size. If you are going to take such riders out, then the group size needs to be 8 maximum, with at least one but preferably two of those being very experienced and able to provide sound instruction (preferably with appropriate coaching/instruction experience). It's a challenge as such people are not as common as one might imagine, or they would prefer to be off doing their own harder ride (fair enough). But it also needs to be the right people in the role. I have witnessed some self appointed "ride captains" give very poor, and at times dangerous instruction on some clubs rides even though they've been round the block plenty of times.

3. I would consider that video as an example of how not to run a group ride, and how to antagonise other road users, especially if it was meant to be a way for newer riders to learn good bunch technique, ride etiquette as well as get some good training.

It is difficult to tell from the video whether there was sufficient room for a single file in the left lane to safely pass the parked cars on that section of road. If not then you need to take the lane, ride tight and keep up the pace. If you can't then the bunch is too large or an alternative route should be considered.

In my squad, there are occasions where we could take the right lane as a group to pass a parked car on the left but instead we chose to "go single" and quite safely negotiate while not taking up the right lane. We still flow fast, the automobiles keep moving nicely and everyone is happy.

4. Racing aside, anything more than about 10 riders in a group is not a training ride, it's a social occasion, and creates many unnecessary problems. However the sheep in our clubs keep insisting on large bunches, where effective communication is not really possible, safety is compromised, there is little regard for other road users and the quality of the ride from a training perspective is very low.

Occasionally you'll see me in a larger group. That's because I'm picking a part of route where it doesn't compromise the safety (e.g. we have a wide shoulder or lane to ourselves) or training effort so much (e.g. going up), or I'm on the front, or I just want a cruise and have a more social ride.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:14 pm

Doesn't look like there's room to single up in the left lane, especially when you have the dooring risk. I think it illustrates why the two abreast rule is silly - if the bunch ignored that they could more easily ride a tighter formation.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:22 pm

Oxford wrote:
Livetoride wrote:Am on the hunt for a camera myself, front and rear but all of the cams I look at only have a 2.5 or 3hr battery, my weekend rides are 5-6 hours...so need a good long life battery cam. Your quality looked awesome.... which one do you have...
If that query is directed to me, I use the Camshot cameras with RigidMount Torch Mounts. They only have a stated 1:30 hour life, but I have been able to stretch it to 1:50. I haven't tried to see if I could add an external power supply because then the unit would not be waterproof. And I've given up on the longer weekend rides for the time being due to time constraints, so its not an issue for me anymore.
Ye it was and thanks mate, will keep looking :D
Happy Days

zero

Postby zero » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:03 pm

jet-ski wrote:Doesn't look like there's room to single up in the left lane, especially when you have the dooring risk. I think it illustrates why the two abreast rule is silly - if the bunch ignored that they could more easily ride a tighter formation.
If they did that, the middle riders would just get sideswiped when oncoming traffic arrived - as their bunch would probably stretch to 200m single file, and one imagines the ute+4wd+falcon drivers (none of which are groups known for quality driving skills), would all have attempted to pass the bunch without being able to see to the far end of it, and then would have pushed over when oncoming traffic forced them to - probably all 3 of them line astern too.

I think Alex's suggestion of having smaller groups is the main solution. Go as 2 or 3 bunches 3 minutes apart Second bunch can stay 200m back if they start catching the first. Smaller groups can use 100m of left lane between parked to let other traffic past, and still stay together. The whole issue of parked cars becomes less of a problem when the bunch occupies the right lane, because they don't have to do it as much between the parked cars. I think the necessary pre-conditions that make passing parked cars in the left lane within the left lane safely are so rarely filled in Sydney that it isn't worth thinking of it as a useful strategy.

A smaller group can also give way if it gets caught in the left lane with a continuous stream of traffic suddenly coming up on them in the right lane. 8 people can be presumed to be paying attention most of the time, and all of them can hear the same voice call/easy repeat distance for signals. 50 people can only be presumed that someone isn't paying attention and won't react to anything short of a red light that the whole bunch can see over the heads of the riders in front of them.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:30 pm

I wasn't suggesting single file, I was suggesting 3 or 4 abreast...
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

Nate

Postby Nate » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:48 pm

Livetoride wrote:Ye it was and thanks mate, will keep looking :D
VERY slim chance - only feasible option i know if is to do a dodgy mofification (cut, glue, wires etc) to a large battery pack mounted on the bike.
Or get a camera with replaceable batteries & buy a few spares.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:06 pm

Livetoride wrote: Am on the hunt for a camera myself, front and rear but all of the cams I look at only have a 2.5 or 3hr battery, my weekend rides are 5-6 hours...so need a good long life battery cam. Your quality looked awesome.... which one do you have...
Depending on what you want and how much you want to spend. I use the GoPro which lasts around 2.5 hrs if I need it any longer I just take a spare battery, which is very small and light. It's just a 5 second job to swap batteries.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:55 pm

GraemeL wrote:
Livetoride wrote: Am on the hunt for a camera myself, front and rear but all of the cams I look at only have a 2.5 or 3hr battery, my weekend rides are 5-6 hours...so need a good long life battery cam. Your quality looked awesome.... which one do you have...
Depending on what you want and how much you want to spend. I use the GoPro which lasts around 2.5 hrs if I need it any longer I just take a spare battery, which is very small and light. It's just a 5 second job to swap batteries.

Graeme
Excellent, don't care about the cost, size of camera, quality of pic and battery life is all that's important to me. Changing a small battery, Perfect :D The GoPro you have, do you have any clips I can see... Do they have front and rear cams...

Thanks mate
Happy Days

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:07 pm

zero wrote:I think the necessary pre-conditions that make passing parked cars in the left lane within the left lane safely are so rarely filled in Sydney that it isn't worth thinking of it as a useful strategy.
There are many places in Sydney you can do this, and many you can't. It's about having the necessary foresight and experience to know the difference and applying the appropriate strategy, and/or as much as possible avoiding those narrower roads when in a larger group.

The best training groups have only 4-8 riders. Or 1.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:15 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:The best training groups have only 4-8 riders. Or 1.
Agreed. But for safety, I prefer to have 1+(a few). :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:25 am

Livetoride wrote: Excellent, don't care about the cost, size of camera, quality of pic and battery life is all that's important to me. Changing a small battery, Perfect :D The GoPro you have, do you have any clips I can see... Do they have front and rear cams...

Thanks mate
Take a look on page 1, I have detailed info about the camera as well as some clips.

Graeme

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:38 am

Go Pro's are pretty much the beez kneez - good setup, LOTS of mounts available & by far the most popular camera out there.

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:39 am

Nate wrote:Go Pro's are pretty much the beez kneez - good setup, LOTS of mounts available & by far the most popular camera out there.
Lots use the 1080, the standard def one is by most accounts average (older hardware) - but they did just release a 960 version at a SUPERB price point.
its also new & has much better circuitry in it etc

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:16 am

Nate wrote:
Nate wrote:Go Pro's are pretty much the beez kneez - good setup, LOTS of mounts available & by far the most popular camera out there.
Lots use the 1080, the standard def one is by most accounts average (older hardware) - but they did just release a 960 version at a SUPERB price point.

So it seems the GoPro is the camera to get?
But which model is the question.
I do like the 2 1/2 hour battery life (as my commute is 2 hours).
Is HD really necessary?
2010 BMC SLC01

norbs

Postby norbs » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:23 am

Nate wrote:
Nate. One thing to note about the 960 version. The new LCD BacPacand the new battery pack don't work with it.
hannos wrote:Is HD really necessary?
Makes it a lot easier to try and see number plates, that's for sure.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:08 pm

hannos wrote:
So it seems the GoPro is the camera to get? But which model is the question.
The Helmet Hero, Motorsports Hero and Surf Hero are all the same they just come with different mounts.
The Hero Naked comes with 1 mount. The Hero 960 is basically the same as above but it doesn't have, 720p (AT) 60fps, 1080p video, and the HERO BUS expansion port in the rear of the camera that will let you use the LCD screen & Battery Extension.
hannos wrote: I do like the 2 1/2 hour battery life (as my commute is 2 hours).

I see they released the battery expansion pack...

The Battery BacPac works as both a charger for your spare HD HERO batteries and plugs into the back of the 1080p HD HERO camera to nearly double record times. Perfect for long duration time-lapse photo sessions, endurance motorsports racing or any application where you need up to 2X* the battery life.

This is what I have been waiting for, Now i can record for 5 hrs or until my 32 gig card fills up :)
hannos wrote: Is HD really necessary?
You can't beat clarity. You may pay more but what you get is well worth it.

Graeme

Nate

Postby Nate » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:38 pm

GraemeL wrote:You can't beat clarity. You may pay more but what you get is well worth it.
Graeme
Dont confuse resolution with clarity!
http://www.rigidmount.com/camera_guide.html#Chapter15

I've found good 720p gives you plates & also one of the 640x480 cameras i've seen isnt too far behind.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:05 pm

Nate wrote:

I've found good 720p gives you plates & also one of the 640x480 cameras i've seen isnt too far behind.
Higher resolution = more pixels = clearer picture.

Graeme

norbs

Postby norbs » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:48 pm

GraemeL wrote:
Nate wrote:

Higher resolution = more pixels = clearer picture.

Graeme
Only if you have good quality optics.

cray-

Postby cray- » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:20 pm

GraemeL wrote:
Nate wrote: Higher resolution = more pixels = clearer picture.
Graeme
Only if you have good quality optics.
Graeme would be correct if he prefaced that with "all else being equal", unfortunately we know it's not.

Not only are optics important, sensor size & type also plays a big part in the image quality.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:52 pm

I was assuming most agree that HD is better than SD, I was also talking about higher end cameras and not a $50 special.

Maybe next time I might have to back it all up with 3 degrees and pages upon pages of proof! NOT!

It's a discussion not an exam!

Geez

Graeme

norbs

Postby norbs » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:12 am

GraemeL wrote:I was assuming most agree that HD is better than SD, I was also talking about higher end cameras and not a $50 special.

Maybe next time I might have to back it all up with 3 degrees and pages upon pages of proof! NOT!

It's a discussion not an exam!

Geez

Graeme
This is the internetz. Never, ever assume. :)

Plenty of people in this thread have talked about lower end spec cameras, with not so good optics.

Nate

Postby Nate » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:22 pm

GraemeL wrote:I was assuming most agree that HD is better than SD, I was also talking about higher end cameras and not a $50 special.
Graeme
You didnt visit that link then.

There's no rule of thumb at all, variances a huge across all categories of cameras.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:48 pm

My statement was a generalization.
If it was an absolute fact I would have posted gob loads of crap to back it up. Which seems the norm these days, what ever happened to general conversation?

Graeme