Video Camera who uses one?

darkelf921

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby darkelf921 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:47 am

cancan64 wrote:Yesterdays crash on the Fly6, not as good when no one else is there
Oh man. No wonder you were dirty with yourself :-) Looks like a white line slip. Have you got the new bar tape yet? I'm sure the boys at V1 Cyclery will do it quickly for you. Just don't let Steve try to upsell or you'll get "go fast, stylish" tape. :-)
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:50 am

AUbicycles wrote:Mount the GoPro or other camera upsidedown so that it is below the handlebars. The camera will still stick out but now is located below the handlebars and out of the way. It gives you more space on top and also more room to mount other things such as cycle computers, lights and butterfly nets.

That's what I did with GoPro and RidEye on my bike.

edsa

Postby edsa » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:50 am

Saw this in Japan but wasnt in the market for another camera.
http://shop.panasonic.com/toughfb/HX-A100D.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You could mount the camera under the stem with a bit of rubber padding to dampen vibrations and zip ties and put the recorder in a deuter frame bag.. or a topeak tri bag on your top tube
Could be your aero option..

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:53 am

darkelf921 wrote:
cancan64 wrote:Yesterdays crash on the Fly6, not as good when no one else is there
Oh man. No wonder you were dirty with yourself :-) Looks like a white line slip. Have you got the new bar tape yet? I'm sure the boys at V1 Cyclery will do it quickly for you. Just don't let Steve try to upsell or you'll get "go fast, stylish" tape. :-)
Wasnt happy, only picked the bike up and this was its 5th hit out. Have forewarned Steve its coming back this weekend.
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:56 am

cancan64 wrote:
darkelf921 wrote:
Wasnt happy, only picked the bike up and this was its 5th hit out. Have forewarned Steve its coming back this weekend.
I hope you have a canoe and paddle. I think this area is about to be submerged. I haven't seen this much rain in a long time.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:59 am

I heard Rickets road is closed due to flooding, maybe the weekend after
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:11 pm

PiratePete wrote:have to test my prototype clear plastic cover for my Rideye :D
Care to share your idea PP? I was thinking along the lines of a slip on cover for my Rideye, but don't want it to look like it's wearing a birth control product :lol:
Cheers
CJ
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:13 pm

K-Edge mounts front & rear with the Garmin upside down
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:24 pm

cjrich wrote:
Care to share your idea PP? I was thinking along the lines of a slip on cover for my Rideye, but don't want it to look like it's wearing a birth control product :lol:
Cheers
CJ
A clear sheet of plastic, covering the frontal area and including the USB port, held in place by a restrictive rubber band. High tech stuff :mrgreen:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx28V1 ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tried it on Wednesday and it did a good job of keeping the rain away! The video was surprisingly clear (world just a little fogged) however pointing towards the sun created even more contrast issues than normal. I need to scrounge around and find a 'clearer' piece of plastic.

I wasn't allowed out this morning, both the 5 and 8 year old told me that it was too dangerous today... Would have been a good test. I had the plastic positioned a little better on Wednesday and left a low section below the camera for water to pool should some make it past the rubber band.

After I've been for a ride which I know would have resulted in water ingress I'll post an update.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:57 pm

Cheers PP, very high tech indeed.
I had a couple of emails from Cedric this week, said he's only had 3 Rideye's reported to have water ingress, though the email to you said "many". Anyway, I'll keep mine as he said he'd replace it should I have any problems. He also mentioned the new mounts will start shipping this week.
CJ
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:46 pm

cjrich wrote:Cheers PP, very high tech indeed.
I had a couple of emails from Cedric this week, said he's only had 3 Rideye's reported to have water ingress, though the email to you said "many". Anyway, I'll keep mine as he said he'd replace it should I have any problems. He also mentioned the new mounts will start shipping this week.
CJ
Yes well um, all I can say is I did a direct cut and paste. I've got two of them, both leak. I responded to him requesting two new units from this next batch, including the new mounts, and the seat post mount they forgot to send. I also asked him to run test the two cameras to ensure that they had similar run times to each other as my two are quite different. Long wait, I hope @ronk suspicion is wrong and that Rideye are still in business in two months. He did respond and say that they found issues with the application of sealant to the front bezel and rear cover which may have lead to some units not getting sealed. The three little holes (I think for the microphone) had water coming out when I blew air into the unit so I suspect they need to be plugged as well.

Once proven that my high tech approach works, I'll work on something a bit better. I'm actually thinking of trying glad wrap held by a rubber band as I think this would be optically better, but it's not durable. I hope that if/when the replacements arrive, I won't need to do this as it's a pain in the bot bot approach to have to externally protect a device which is designed for outdoor use.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:08 pm

Did some testing with the Sony 4K Actioncam and new Full HD king, AS200V. Both have loop recording which makes them ideal and I also almost got run over by a van so I'll put together a small youtube clip later.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:53 am

PiratePete wrote:
cjrich wrote:
Cheers
CJ
A clear sheet of plastic, covering the frontal area and including the USB port, held in place by a restrictive rubber band. High tech stuff :mrgreen:

After I've been for a ride which I know would have resulted in water ingress I'll post an update.
Yesterday was dry, but today I was soaked, 41km of wet road, including 35km of rain. The result - it worked, the Rideye survived the ride. The only issue was that on prototype number 3 I failed to leave a reservoir below the camera for water to pool, so the bezel still got a little wet.

For this version I used some plastic sheeting which was formally the shrink wrap packaging for a boogie board bought from Big W for the kids.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx28V1 ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image quality OK:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx28V1 ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (showing contrast)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx28V1 ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (in the rain)

This workaround will do me until I get the replacements, and being simple and cheap might be a good idea for anyone who has a Rideye camera and is knowingly heading out into wet conditions.
Last edited by PiratePete on Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:28 am

Look forward to seeing the new Sony footage.

I was on the indoor trainer and didn't have any near misses, no agro but will spare you the video footage :)
Cycling is in my BNA

jillybean

Postby jillybean » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:06 pm

Can anyone tell me if the seat post mount for the "new" fly6 is compatible with the "old" fly6 ie are they the same?
1987 Colnago Master Piu | 1994 Trek OCLV Carbon |2013 Colnago CLX 3.0 Di2

ray

Postby ray » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:55 pm

jillybean wrote:Can anyone tell me if the seat post mount for the "new" fly6 is compatible with the "old" fly6 ie are they the same?
I have both and they aren't the same.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:00 pm

Fly12 test pilot - Tomorrow from 11am (Sydney time) a Test Pilot offering is going live, for a small fee of $999 you can secure a v1 prototype shipping May-June and then a v2 prototype shipping June/July and a production one when they ship.

The other option that this may open up is for people who 'upgrade' from an Early bird offer to the Test Pilot will open up the cheap options again for those who missed out...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fl ... -front-lig" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:12 pm

so you could end up with 2 dodgy ones.....

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:10 pm

Doubt it. the original Fly 6 is the ducks guts. These guys are on the ball.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:47 am

BianchiCam wrote:Doubt it. the original Fly 6 is the ducks guts. These guys are on the ball.
agree. my original fly6 is still fantastic. but there is always a possibility when it comes to a pre-production run unit.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:25 pm

With the fly6 second generation, one of the prototypes had a mounting problem that caused too much wobble, the problem was identified and fixed for the final production units, so was a really good part of the test procesd to ensire quality control. The firmware also gets. Fair bit of work during testing so there is certainly a possibility of issues.
Cycling is in my BNA

coyote

Postby coyote » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:54 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Look forward to seeing the new Sony footage.

I was on the indoor trainer and didn't have any near misses, no agro but will spare you the video footage :)
So the better half did not yell at you and tell you to get that damm bike out of the living room or you would know about it in no uncertain terms. :wink: 8)

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:22 am

My poor fly6 is slowly dying... I love it, and it's footage has helped significantly several times, but mines lasting barely 2:30 on a full charge with no flashing.... It's also corrupting the SD card every week or 2. SD formatter, and different SD cards havent helped... Wonder if they'll replace it with a 1st or 2nd gen fly6?

Dr_Mutley

Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:11 pm

Prompt reply from Cycliq... Good service, highly recommend them [emoji106]

They are sending me a new 1st generation replacement camera.... Happy with that [emoji106]

EDITED....

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:56 pm

Just been messing around to see how a combination of a previously owned GoPro Hero3 front camera and Fly 6 MkII would give
me if I needed it in an accident review. While the GoPro is forward facing and the other rearward, the differences in image quality
reflect you get what you pay for.

Even with two cameras, you can't track everything as vehicles pass ... cars particularly disappear from one camera before appearing in next.
My conclusion is that even with forward and rear-facing gopro, you'd still be missing a fair bit of the action from passing vehicles due just to the
camera angles.

GoPro recording resolution was throttled back to 1280 x 720, 29.97 fps to match the Fly6's 1280 x 720, 30 fps specification.

Fly6 tends to over-expose the sky/cloud areas, maybe to improve performance in shadows. Number plates of passing traffic
in same or next lane are readable in original full resolution Fly6 avi files ... youtube resizing and compression makes
it more guesswork. The YT video is 27Mbytes and 107 seconds in length.

There's another much larger 136 Mbyte x 4 minute comparison of a Fly6 Mk I with a JVC Adixxion 2 both rear-facing on

The author of this has not indicated if the JVC's resolution was throttled back ... it doesn't look like it.

There is a more detailed review on his webpage. I think he's being quite harsh on the number plate readability ... other tests I've done
show while it's not perfect with next-lane traffic using smaller number plates, it gets most of them OK.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia