Video Camera who uses one?

Riggsbie

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Riggsbie » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:19 pm

Can anyone suggest/recommend some software for editing mp4 files from my GoPro.....it seems dumb to convert from mp4 to avi in order to be able to edit it....

Any ideas ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:23 pm

darkelf921 wrote:
ozzymac wrote:
Aushiker wrote: If the 25 is fps that is likely to be your problem. You need to shoot at 60 fps.

Andrew
Hi,
Just changed the settings and with the camera set on Pal which was suggested it should be in can only set it to 720*50fps no sign of 60fps.

Is there something else that needs changed?
NTSC is the video frequency used for monitors/TVs in USA, PAL is used almost everywhere else including Australia. PAL will only show in 25fps and 50fps. I would suggest the number of frames recorded per second (FPS) is not your problem but rather your mount is the problem.

I have two GoPros. One on my helmet and one facing backwards from the seat post. The one on my helmet never had the problems you mentioned (wavy/jumpy recording) but the one on the rear did. I cut up an old inner tube and placed some of it between the seat post and clamp/mount. The absorption of vibrations stopped the problem.

Recording at 50fps will simply double the number of frames recorded per second. The best use for this high rate of recording is for when you wish to show slow motion video. More FPS may also help less "judder" as you're filming more but also draining the battery more.

Regarding the stopped video, I'm not sure. Try a few more recordings to see if the problem can be replicated.

If you really want to change to 60fps, change to NTSC.
If knew about pal being for our tv's etc just the fps settings I'm not sure about.

I will give it ago at 50fps and see if there is any difference or not.

If not will try a bit of tube under the handlebar mount.

The roads here are rough as site and the Azzuri seems to pick up every little bump.

Cheers

Sent from my thingimy chig using that other thing:-)

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:44 am

If the video is just generally jumpy and unsteady, then it's probably the mount that is the problem.

If some things in the picture look like they are being viewed through a clear wobbly jelly, then it's shooting at a low number of frames per second that will be the problem. Going to 50 or 60 fps should fix that.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:51 pm

scirocco wrote:If the video is just generally jumpy and unsteady, then it's probably the mount that is the problem.

If some things in the picture look like they are being viewed through a clear wobbly jelly, then it's shooting at a low number of frames per second that will be the problem. Going to 50 or 60 fps should fix that.

Hi,
Another short ride this morning to try out the camera.

The 50fps seems to have helped a bit with the wobbly video effect. So I guess I will try the rubber under the handlebar mount to see if I can improve it any more.

Other thing is that it is still splitting the video....

This mornings ride I ended up with 2 *17mins video's and one 6min video.

Could it have anything to do with the sd card I'm currently using its only a class 4.

Or is it a setting somewhere I'm missing?

Cheers

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:18 pm

Is the video actually jumpy ?

I recorded at 50 fps and it looked really jumpy but it was just the media player not coping with such a high fps rate....When I played mine back n the GoPro player software it was silky smooth.....

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:27 pm

Riggsbie wrote:Is the video actually jumpy ?

I recorded at 50 fps and it looked really jumpy but it was just the media player not coping with such a high fps rate....When I played mine back n the GoPro player software it was silky smooth.....

I have only played it in imovie and iphoto on my mac computer.

What is the gopro player? Only thing I could find was cineform which I thought was for converting or something.

Cheers

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:05 pm

ozzymac wrote:
scirocco wrote:If the video is just generally jumpy and unsteady, then it's probably the mount that is the problem.

Hi,
Another short ride this morning to try out the camera.

The 50fps seems to have helped a bit with the wobbly video effect. So I guess I will try the rubber under the handlebar mount to see if I can improve it any more.

Other thing is that it is still splitting the video....

This mornings ride I ended up with 2 *17mins video's and one 6min video.

Could it have anything to do with the sd card I'm currently using its only a class 4.

Or is it a setting somewhere I'm missing?
I only use Class 10 cards. However, I'm not sure that is the reason. How big are the files?
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:23 pm

Yep Cineform does playback, so import into Cineform and you might find that your jerkiness disappears....

That worked for me on Windoze - QuickTime was jumpy/jerky whereas smooth as silk in Cineform !!

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:46 pm

Tried it in cineform and it was still the same.

Will do some mods to the mount and see what happens.

The splitting of the video has got me beat though. Couldn't see anything in the manual that would cause it.

Video size was about 2gig for the 17mins one.

Cheers

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:37 pm

ozzymac wrote:Tried it in cineform and it was still the same.

Will do some mods to the mount and see what happens.

The splitting of the video has got me beat though. Couldn't see anything in the manual that would cause it.

Video size was about 2gig for the 17mins one.

Cheers

Ahah!!! The GoPro HD1&2 used to do 4gb files, the 3 splits them into just under 2gb files. Even though exFAT file systems allow 4GB files, it is limited to 32GB total storage space. They have a new file system which allows 64GB cards now. Your files have simply reached the maximum size so they are split. There is nothing wrong and you can easily join them in your video editor.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:40 pm

What file system on the card Oz? IIRC, there's size limits with some.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:56 pm

Mulger bill wrote:What file system on the card Oz? IIRC, there's size limits with some.

Shaun
What's the easiest way to tell what file system the card is?

I just stuck it in the cam, and did as they said and took a pic with it. Isn't that meant to format it or something?

Cheers

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:09 pm

Got a card reader? Plug it into the PC, find it in My Computer, right click and select properties. It's about the second line on the General tab.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:33 pm

To clarify, my GoPro HD1 has max file size of just under 4GB. My GoPro HD3 has max file size of just under 2GB. I can only use a max 32GB SD card in the GP1 and a 64GB microSD card in my GP3.

malnar

Postby malnar » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:47 pm

OK I'm pretty clueless. I've got some .mov files that I want to edit. Windows Movie Maker wont open them. I've downloaded both of the programs below (as recommended in Graeme L's faq), but they still wont open in WMM. I've re-started the computer but that didn't help. When I run/open the app It just launches the installation wizard again. What exactly do you do after downloading these?

Thanks

----------------

5) Q: I want to use Window Live Movie Maker to edit my Mov, Mp4 files, but it won’t import them?

A: Download >>> x264vfw Codec <<< and install it, restart your PC and see if it works.

• If that doesn’t work, download >>> FFDshow Codec <<<

------------------------------------

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:58 pm

I use one fore and aft.

Got a bit carried away last year so got a Sony action thing looking back, and a Contour 2+ for my head.
Both great I reckon, though the Contour is less fiddly to use.

One thing I have noticed though is the GPS lag upon startup - anyone else found this on the Contour 2+? Even pressing the status button thing beforehand doesn't seem to help. Maybe the satellites in my neck of the wood are a bit rusty.

Anyway, 95% of video captured shows good driver antics which is great - some of it verging on the dangerous as they give me a hugely wide berth going up one particular hill crossing double white lines as they go with no vision of what's coming up the other side...

Cheers,

Time

The Dude Abides

Postby The Dude Abides » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:14 pm

I bought myself one of those 808 #16 camera's off ebay for around $40. I purchased the battery pack and handlebar mount aswell.

I then use dashware to overlay the garmin info if I want to keep the video.

Ill tell you what, for the money, they are a great little unit. Not so flash for dusk or night sharpness (ie reading number plates, etc).
Track all of your ride stats and keep them on your own computer.
http://www.prologcycling.com

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:31 am

Presto! Video Works has worked for me Malnar.

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:02 pm

okay - the time has come ! woo bloody hoo - now debt free and can buy a camera. :lol: :lol: alelluia - a long time coming!

I had always been thinking about go pros because people seemed to rave about them but they are expensive. If i was just to buy a jumbo 808 - just a couple of questions:

could it be fixed to a lid? i currently use ayups on my lid so would expect i'd mount it behind those.
can they be rear mounted say on the rear seat stay with the mount provided, or do i need to get a rigid mount or similar?
could i also buy one of these and use it like as a car dash cam? (I was thinking about buying one of them too) but there's probably not a way of seeing whether you're actually capturing the road ahead unless you can see like a screen on it. sorry if these are gumby questions - but i'm a total techno goob. I'll have to get internet at home now i reckon. (yes i know - i'm a luddite...) :P

how big are the battery packs for the longer commutes/rides? can you strap them onto a frame somehow without them slipping and sliding on each and every bump, but still have easy access to undo them each time for re charging?

I expect i'd want one front and back but would consider maybe buying a gopro just for playing with and having fun.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:21 pm

cp123 wrote:okay - the time has come ! woo bloody hoo - now debt free and can buy a camera. :lol: :lol: alelluia - a long time coming!

I had always been thinking about go pros because people seemed to rave about them but they are expensive. If i was just to buy a jumbo 808 - just a couple of questions:

could it be fixed to a lid? i currently use ayups on my lid so would expect i'd mount it behind those.
can they be rear mounted say on the rear seat stay with the mount provided, or do i need to get a rigid mount or similar?
could i also buy one of these and use it like as a car dash cam? (I was thinking about buying one of them too) but there's probably not a way of seeing whether you're actually capturing the road ahead unless you can see like a screen on it. sorry if these are gumby questions - but i'm a total techno goob. I'll have to get internet at home now i reckon. (yes i know - i'm a luddite...) :P

how big are the battery packs for the longer commutes/rides? can you strap them onto a frame somehow without them slipping and sliding on each and every bump, but still have easy access to undo them each time for re charging?

I expect i'd want one front and back but would consider maybe buying a gopro just for playing with and having fun.
If you can't aaford a GoPro and want to just use the Jumbo for cycling and in car use then I feel that is all you need. I have the GoPro which I have mounted in the car, but I only use the Jumbo's for cycling.

Page one of this thread lists the Jumbo and the external Batteries as well as the sellers info. The batteries will add approx 2.5hrs to the recording time, just make sure you have a decent size memory card.
If you look at the FAQs - DIY and Third Party Mounts (links in my sig), scroll down to the Jumbo, you will see I have made several different types of mounts for it along with cases to help keep it out of the weather.
The two mounts I really like are the wooden one and the one that uses a simple L bracket with 3M Dual Lock and mounts to either the front or rear quick release.
For use in the car, get yourself some 3M Dual Lock, you will need it for the other mounts anyway and stick it on the underside of your rear view mirror, just make sure it is pointing straight ahead. The video will record upside down but you can easily flip the video using an editing program.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

The Dude Abides

Postby The Dude Abides » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:09 pm

cp123 wrote: could it be fixed to a lid? i currently use ayups on my lid so would expect i'd mount it behind those.

Hi I used some of the 3M dual lock on the camera and helmet for the jumbo 808#16. it took this footage in this configuration. In terms of the battery pack, I add the battery pack into the bundle of the Ay-Up velcro battery back on the corner of my stem and top bar. Dont have any marks and it is secure in the 4 months it has been like this.

jheeno

Postby jheeno » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:50 pm

The Dude Abides wrote:
cp123 wrote: could it be fixed to a lid? i currently use ayups on my lid so would expect i'd mount it behind those.

Hi I used some of the 3M dual lock on the camera and helmet for the jumbo 808#16. it took this footage in this configuration. In terms of the battery pack, I add the battery pack into the bundle of the Ay-Up velcro battery back on the corner of my stem and top bar. Dont have any marks and it is secure in the 4 months it has been like this.

what program did you use to overlead the data like that ? was it off GPS data ?

The Dude Abides

Postby The Dude Abides » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:12 pm

jheeno wrote: what program did you use to overlead the data like that ? was it off GPS data ?
I downloaded a program from http://www.dashware.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Any video I decide to keep, Ill overlay the gps stats from my garmin.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:56 pm

malnar wrote:OK I'm pretty clueless. I've got some .mov files that I want to edit.
The cheeky answer is to use a mac. .mov are the standard for Quicktime.

The two basic approaches are to a) convert in a windows friendly format or b) get an extension/plugin (etc) that will allow you to read a .mov on windows.
Cycling is in my BNA

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:54 am