Video Camera who uses one?

Summernight

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Summernight » Tue May 14, 2013 9:57 am

If you buy direct from GoPro they also slug you with a ~$65 or around that (possibly $85, I can't remember) 'shipping fee'. You can double check how much it is by going to the shipping section of the checkout process with the camera in your shopping cart.

If you need to send the camera back due to warranty issues just remember that you'll have to wear the international post fee (in excess of $13) to send back to the USA instead of sending to a local place.

Those are also considerations when purchasing direct or from an Australian seller.

That being said I purchased my Hero3 Black direct from GoPro because it was cheaper at the time than purchasing from an Australian dealer (even factoring in the huge shipping fee).

I bought my Class 10 32GB micro SD card from JB HiFi.

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue May 14, 2013 10:26 am

myforwik wrote: It has a laser on it, so you can press the laser to make sure you are aiming at the number plates to make sure you get a decent pic of them :-)
All I want is a camera with a frikkin' laser attached to its head.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Tue May 14, 2013 11:27 am

Dan wrote:
myforwik wrote: It has a laser on it, so you can press the laser to make sure you are aiming at the number plates to make sure you get a decent pic of them :-)
All I want is a camera with a frikkin' laser attached to its head.
Now that would be cool! :D
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue May 14, 2013 5:04 pm

I'm not exactly ecstatic with my GoPro Black. Sick of it locking up and what they hay is it with the case fogging up? Grrrr
2012 Oppy A4

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Tue May 14, 2013 5:09 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:I'm not exactly ecstatic with my GoPro Black. Sick of it locking up and what they hay is it with the case fogging up? Grrrr
Haven't had any trouble with my gopro silver, Concerning the fogging if you can sit the camera with the bike for a while to try and get the temps the same before closing the case it seems to help a bit. Otherwise the anti fog inserts are suppose to work.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue May 14, 2013 6:20 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:I'm not exactly ecstatic with my GoPro Black. Sick of it locking up and what they hay is it with the case fogging up? Grrrr
Just swap the back door depending on the weather. Even in wet conditions I run the skeleton door but when when it starts to get to solid rain I'll wack on the waterproof door. Its easy to change at a set of lights.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:24 pm

Unless you're placing your camera under water, you should use the skeleton back for the case. It stops the fogging. I use it regularly when it is raining heavily and the rain does not get in to the camera.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue May 14, 2013 6:52 pm

Thanks guys
2012 Oppy A4

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue May 14, 2013 9:35 pm

+1 to the skeleton case. It also is miles better in picking up sound. I only use the waterproof if I think it is going to bucket down.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue May 14, 2013 9:44 pm

Thanks for the idea, I'll try the skeleton tomorrow. I've always been too paranoid but keen to get improved audio if possible.

Noticed yesterday that the H3B with firmware 2.39 and the battery bacpac no longer has the flicking light issue on the bacpac. The light is now in sync with the camera lights. Yay.

Cheers, Simon
Sent from my mApple myPad using Tapatalk HD
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

VRE

Postby VRE » Wed May 15, 2013 9:12 am

VRE wrote:I'm considering getting the GoPro Hero 3 Black, but have a question for those who have already bought one:

The Highly Tuned Athletes* site states the Hero 3 Black with usual accessories is $530 but the GoPro website in its Hero 3 comparison chart says the same package minus the micro-SD card is MSRP $300 (in Australian dollars), so why the huge difference? Price comparisons on other sites say that a typical price for a 32GB class 10 micro-SD card is $75 (e.g. JB HiFi, so this wouldn't account for the whole price difference.

* A Melbourne-based online vendor, which seems pretty good. I bought a Garmin 800 bundle from them last year.
I didn't read the comparison chart on the GoPro web site properly :oops: , because the RRP is $400 not $300, so once you include the SD card the price difference with HTA isn't that much.

What's the deal with these Hero 3 Black lockouts I keep reading about? That's making me have 2nd thoughts about buying one.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed May 15, 2013 9:18 am

Never heard of a lockout... What is it? If you mean freezing - the answer is to pull the internal battery out and put it back in again.

VRE

Postby VRE » Wed May 15, 2013 9:22 am

Summernight wrote:Never heard of a lockout... What is it? If you mean freezing - the answer is to pull the internal battery out and put it back in again.
I was talking about KonaCommuter's comment above about the camera locking up, plus I've read other comments about it too.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Wed May 15, 2013 9:28 am

I read somewhere that locking can be caused by slower sd cards and 64gb cards. I'm using a 32gb class 10 card and I haven't had the problem however I've not used it much (also only ever used it qith the latest firmware).

VRE

Postby VRE » Wed May 15, 2013 9:45 am

AndrewBurns wrote:I read somewhere that locking can be caused by slower sd cards and 64gb cards. I'm using a 32gb class 10 card and I haven't had the problem however I've not used it much (also only ever used it qith the latest firmware).
OK, thanks. I've also been reading the GoPro forums, and at least if I get locking occurring, I'll know that the particular card I use with it may be the cause.

VRE

Postby VRE » Wed May 15, 2013 9:53 am

Have any of you seen this? Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB Class 10 SDHC card. According to the GoPro forums, this may be a good choice for use with the Hero 3 Black. These Extreme Pro cards must be very new in the 32GB capacity, too, because a post earlier this month on the GoPro forums said they only went up to 16GB.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed May 15, 2013 10:13 am

VRE - you need a micro SD card for the GoPro Hero3 Black. Unless I'm blind (which is quite possible) that link was to a standard SD card.

I use a Sandisk Ultra 32GB class 10 micro SD card. Haven't had any SD card issues whatsoever.

VRE

Postby VRE » Wed May 15, 2013 10:20 am

Summernight wrote:VRE - you need a micro SD card for the GoPro Hero3 Black. Unless I'm blind (which is quite possible) that link was to a standard SD card.

I use a Sandisk Ultra 32GB class 10 micro SD card. Haven't had any SD card issues whatsoever.
Sorry, my mistake, I know the micro size is needed, but didn't properly read the web site I just quoted :oops: .

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed May 15, 2013 10:31 am

VRE wrote:
Summernight wrote:VRE - you need a micro SD card for the GoPro Hero3 Black. Unless I'm blind (which is quite possible) that link was to a standard SD card.

Sorry, my mistake, I know the micro size is needed, but didn't properly read the web site I just quoted :oops: .
Don't worry - I bought an SD card all ready for when my lovely Hero3 arrived... Only to have to take it back to the store for a refund as I didn't know that the camera only took micro. :oops:

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed May 15, 2013 12:26 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:I read somewhere that locking can be caused by slower sd cards and 64gb cards. I'm using a 32gb class 10 card and I haven't had the problem however I've not used it much (also only ever used it qith the latest firmware).

Really?

One of the major attractions of the GoPro was the ability to take a 64gb card. I'll pare back to a 32 if that'll sort it. Fwiw I've got a class 10 card sourced through HTA at time of buying the camera.

I'm just a bit over buying stuff that doesn't work as advertised. Even paying a premium doesn't appear to ensure quality :-(
2012 Oppy A4

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed May 15, 2013 12:30 pm

The card size shouldn't be an issue. Its the rate that the memory can record the data too that's the real issue.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Wed May 15, 2013 1:22 pm

Went for a mountain bike ride this morning. Stopped to tighten up the stem bolts as there was a bit of play in the bars relative to the steerer tube. Jumped off, grabbed the multi-toolout of the bag, tightened them up and took off again. Arrived in at work and noted that the bars weren't perfectly aligned. Went in the bag for the multi-tool again....missing. Crap, must have left it on the trail.

Reviewed the footage by way of the jumbo 808 on the helmet, watched myself tighten up the stem bolts then jump on the bike. Just as I take off I must have looked down and in the corner of the frame is the multi-tool sitting in the grass on the edge of the trail. Now I know exactly where I left it and hopefully it'll still be there in the morning, when I get out there again. If I find it, the camera has effectively payed for itself in saving me from buying a new multi-tool.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed May 15, 2013 3:18 pm

clydesmcdale wrote:Went for a mountain bike ride this morning. Stopped to tighten up the stem bolts as there was a bit of play in the bars relative to the steerer tube. Jumped off, grabbed the multi-toolout of the bag, tightened them up and took off again. Arrived in at work and noted that the bars weren't perfectly aligned. Went in the bag for the multi-tool again....missing. Crap, must have left it on the trail.

Reviewed the footage by way of the jumbo 808 on the helmet, watched myself tighten up the stem bolts then jump on the bike. Just as I take off I must have looked down and in the corner of the frame is the multi-tool sitting in the grass on the edge of the trail. Now I know exactly where I left it and hopefully it'll still be there in the morning, when I get out there again. If I find it, the camera has effectively payed for itself in saving me from buying a new multi-tool.
I tried that a while ago when my light came apart and dropped the lens end and batteries. Turns out it slipped just out of camera range as it rotated downwards around the bars before falling apart. Could only narrow it down to about 10min riding. Lucky it was only a $15 light that was of dubious reliability.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Sun May 19, 2013 7:22 pm

Ended up going back next day and found it too. So happy about that.

Although, I tried to upload a video to YouTube a couple of days ago which somehow failed as i left it go overnight. Now for some reason the camera won't power on when not plugged in.

Anyone had any experience trying to get a jumbo 808 to power on after it failing to?

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sun May 19, 2013 8:24 pm

clydesmcdale wrote:Anyone had any experience trying to get a jumbo 808 to power on after it failing to?
Try plugging it back into a computer. When mine got wet and died, it only came back to life once I plugged it in.