Video Camera who uses one?

chucknitro

Postby chucknitro » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:18 pm

elStado wrote:Just bought a GoPro HD Hero 2! Lot of cash.. so I hope it's worth it!
Can't go wrong - they are awesome. Enjoy :)
2018 Canyon Endurance SLX DB 9.0 DI

elStado

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby elStado » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:39 pm

chucknitro wrote:
elStado wrote:Just bought a GoPro HD Hero 2! Lot of cash.. so I hope it's worth it!
Can't go wrong - they are awesome. Enjoy :)
Yeah for sure. I leave to Europe this Sunday.. should get the camera tomorrow or Wends the latest as it was mailed out express today.

I bought my GoPro from these guys: http://www.peninsulacamera.com.au/

So far pretty happy with the price and purchase. Could have gotten it a little bit cheaper from the US (maybe $20-30 less with cheap/slow postage and no insurance), however due to the short notice it wasn't really practical.

The biggest downside that I'll have to try and work around is that the memory card is full after around 4 hours of filming on the highest resolution. Even if I put it at a lower resolution I'm still only looking at a few hours worth of footage on the 32GB card that came with it. I don't want to have to buy a second card as I'll never need it again apart from this trip and I don't want to have to take my netbook with me on the bike. So I guess I'll just have to use it only when the footage will be really good and then just try to sort through the footage and delete the crap when I stay somewhere that has a computer to use. Might also get a 16/32GB USB flash drive as well.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:05 pm

Another cost, but a portable harddrive is one solution - and they tend to come in handy anyway - 500GB or 1TB are affordable.

Have a great trip.
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:10 pm

And a bit of self-promo.

In the RED in motion videoclip (that I am heavily promoting on BNA), we used a GoPro Hero camera for some of the onbike footage. The Contour GPS mounted on one bike with the Contour handlebar mount was too shakey so no footage was used. What would have help would have been a remote control and the preview option which will only be possible in the Hero2.

The main footage is from Canon 5D and 7D cameras.

Cycling is in my BNA

elStado

Postby elStado » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:45 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Another cost, but a portable harddrive is one solution - and they tend to come in handy anyway - 500GB or 1TB are affordable.

Have a great trip.
Yes I was thinking of this, I have a 500GB portable HDD already however the issue still is having to find a safe computer to use to transfer it across. My Eee PC is the older 10" version so it weighs about 1.2kg with the power adapter.. I've seen people lug around heaver devices but since I am taking a U-lock and cable with me that weighs 1.3kg I fear that it will all be too heavy. I am taking the Eee PC over with me to use on the plane, but I was planning to leave it behind with my family in Germany with all my other non-cycling stuff while I am off for a month on my own.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:29 am

Certain that with a few smooth words that you could find compters during the travels the would allow you to copy files across.

Even if it means heading to a computer store and asking for a favour where you can offer 5 or 10 Euro if the let you transfer (which they will then hopefully refuse :)

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:19 pm

Net Cafes are plentiful & cheap, and most allow USB devices.
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:02 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Certain that with a few smooth words that you could find compters during the travels the would allow you to copy files across.

Even if it means heading to a computer store and asking for a favour where you can offer 5 or 10 Euro if the let you transfer (which they will then hopefully refuse :)

Cheers
Christopher
Yep this is what I'll do. I have my phone for internet access so I don;t need the netbook. I think I might just clear out my 500GB drive. Although if anyone else is interested JB HiFi are selling 500GB portable SUB3 hard drives for $69 atm. Worth a look if you need some extra portable storage space for your vids.

PA

Postby PA » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:09 pm

Don't use roaming on your phone when overseas, otherwise you will need to sell a Kidney when you get home. Use the WIFI at places but turn the roaming off.
Mouse magnet

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:06 pm

PA wrote:Don't use roaming on your phone when overseas, otherwise you will need to sell a Kidney when you get home. Use the WIFI at places but turn the roaming off.
Yeah, a second (local) SIM card can be the go here.

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:44 pm

PA wrote:Don't use roaming on your phone when overseas, otherwise you will need to sell a Kidney when you get home. Use the WIFI at places but turn the roaming off.
Yeah I've already sorted that out. I'll be getting a French SIM. It's absolute BS though as there's no network that covers multiple countries at the same cheap national rate. So even people who live near the border often get slugged when their phone picks up the wrong network. Wifi at cafes etc will also be the go, hence why I bought my E-werk to keep my phone charged on the road.

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:48 am

Helmet with integral camera mount.

http://www.gizmag.com/kalis-amara-cam-a ... met/23396/

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:45 pm

Go Pro Hero 2 currently deal of the day on DDM for $247US.

Don't forget to add hbf to the coupon code if want a further 5% off.

PA

Postby PA » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:26 am

Go Pro version 1.

Mouse magnet

Purt

Postby Purt » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:01 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Go Pro Hero 2 currently deal of the day on DDM for $247US.

OMG. I missed this again :(

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:10 pm

Let's see ... F 5.6, shutter speed 1/500th, distance 15 metres - - no 13 metres - -no - - do I need fill-in flash? What's the light level? Just gently bite down on the shutter bulb ... vatch de birdeee ... damn ... missed. Next time could you smile please?

Could I have some more gaffer tape please? My false teeth are loose again.

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:13 pm

Bertrand Russell

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:49 pm

Purt wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:Go Pro Hero 2 currently deal of the day on DDM for $247US.

OMFlyingspaghettimonster. I missed this again :(
Keep your eye on on davesmotors, they do em every few months I think
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:01 pm

PA wrote:Go Pro version 1.

Thats a killer picture - I have exactly the same body armour in my parents shed from when I used to race Motocross as a kid!!
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

qualos

Postby qualos » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:55 am

I purchased a Ion Air Pro unit and it is nowhere near as good as the GoPro Hero. I really like the size, low profile design and mounting system (a few more connector options would be nice).

The stabilisation on the GoPro is loads better (I ride on some pretty rough roads), you get motion sickness watching the Ion Air. Record time is pretty well 1 hour and that’s it (battery not storage). It stops recording for no reason and turns itself off, at first I thought it was the battery but turned it back on and ran for another 30mins.

To turn on and start recording is quicker and easier than the GoPro.

If the GoPro could have a better mounting system it would be my preferred choice. I have now broken three mounting brackets on the GoPro from the continuous vibrations on the roads I ride, nice watching your camera slide down the road at 70kph.

My Summary:

Pros:
Easy to start recording and turn on and off
Low profile design (looks like a bike light)
Nice mounting system. Shouldn’t break like the GoPro, but could do with a couple more different angled mounts.
Wifi feature is pretty cool, but who will really use it (note I did not have this on during testing so no effect on battery life)

Quality of video is fine, but appears not to have any stabilisation of video (noted as con below)

Cons:
Battery life of 1hr, my average ride is 2 hours. The GoPro 2 from what I read is 2.5hours
Turns itself off at random times
Image on rough roads needs stabilisation

I think I will be dumping these on fleabay and going the GoPro Hero 2's and trying to make my own mounting brackets. I will try one more time today and see what I think.

chucknitro

Postby chucknitro » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:27 pm

K-Edge mounts are awesome. Much better picture quality and after having my GoPro slide down the road twice, I now have full confidence it's staying where I put it. Cost is high though.
2018 Canyon Endurance SLX DB 9.0 DI

qualos

Postby qualos » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:03 pm

Thanks chucknitro, I havent seen them before. I did a search on the board and didnt see them come up. I will be ordering those mounts and turfing the Ion Air's (just went for a lunch ride and it shut down twice)

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:50 pm

Ageed, K-edge mount is solid. Expensive but it'll never break.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:09 pm

Just ordered k-edge for front and back today, just want quality and while the price is very high, if they deliver as people are reporting then it is a worthwhile investment. Will provide a report.
Cycling is in my BNA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:33 pm

Joeblake wrote:Helmet with integral camera mount.

http://www.gizmag.com/kalis-amara-cam-a ... met/23396/

Joe
Got one. They're pretty neat helmets, Made by the same mob as Fox helmets, and probably the most comfortable brain bucket I've worn. The excellent camera mount is a bonus.

Review is currently in editing phase and should be published on this site within a couple of days.