Video Camera who uses one?

Clydesdale Scot

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:00 pm

bella26 wrote:What's the best thing about riding up a long steep hill climb? Descending it of course!
+1
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LzkwbXg ... detailpage[/youtube]
My first video, a #16 HD Key Cam, ride data recorded with a Garmin, and synchronized with Dashware where the gauges were added.
More music found, so I am looking for matching terrain.

elStado

Postby elStado » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:10 am

I'm looking to buy a whole bunch of GoPro accessories.. I need a way to keep the camer aand all the other gear all together, safe and organised. Something akin to the wonderful Ay Up POD case would be excellent.

Any suggestions?
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:07 pm

elStado wrote:I'm looking to buy a whole bunch of GoPro accessories.. I need a way to keep the camer aand all the other gear all together, safe and organised. Something akin to the wonderful Ay Up POD case would be excellent.

Any suggestions?

Have a look at this one...

http://www.uniquesquared.com/skb-waterp ... -hero.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or you could get a Pelican Case.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:17 pm

Another 1080p HD key camera has popped up, this one with infrared night filming capability.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px-GBts2Cv0&hd=1[/youtube]

More details at Gizmag.

Andrew

fingy

Postby fingy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:19 pm

I have been using a version 2 808 #16 keychain cam with the D (120 deg) lens as a helmet cam,
and am finding it an improvement as a helmet cam over the earlier ver1.
The old #16 was great as a bar mount but on the helmet riding a racing bike my head is mostly
down and all the video was of the front wheel and road until I sat up at a stop.
The v2 #16 comes in three lens choices a TV out cable (no sound) and a new config tool.
At ~$42 it must be the best bang for the buck camera.
wider FOV makes v2 another helmet cam option

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:42 pm

fingy wrote:I have been using a version 2 808 #16 keychain cam with the D (120 deg) lens as a helmet cam,
What is the battery life like?

Thanks
Andrew

dampier

Postby dampier » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:45 pm

About an hour as is, about 2.5 hours with a battery pack.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:15 pm

I'm using a ching made 1040P HD camera, plenty of memory (with a 32GB class 10 SD fitted), it records in 4m59s sections, I have it mounted on the top of my helmet (yep it is a bit heavy), I've commuted with it in the rain & that hasn't presented any issues.

To see the end results, I post our Retro Riverloop Raturday ride onto you tube every week, if you check the forum page you'll find where I posted last weeks ride.

The only downside is that at 1040P it takes nearly an hour to upload a 5 minute clip to you tube.

I tried another lower def 'lip stick' camera, mounted on the side of my helmet, it's way lighter but doesn't segment the video, so you end up with one massive file, that you can't upload onto you tube.

We run a go pro on the roll cage of our race car & without a direct comparison, I think the chinese one gives nearly as good a video.

fingy

Postby fingy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:24 pm

Aushiker wrote:
I have only used it withan external supply which gives about 3 hours recording

fingy

Postby fingy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:36 pm

Wal42 wrote: you end up with one massive file.
with the configuration tool you can choose either 5-20-40-70min files with the #16

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:14 pm

fingy wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
I have only used it withan external supply which gives about 3 hours recording
Thanks and thanks for the image. That has given me an idea as to how to use the battery. I had thought of putting it my jersey pocket but your approach looks much neater.

Andrew

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:09 am

Wal42 wrote: The only downside is that at 1040P it takes nearly an hour to upload a 5 minute clip to you tube.
You would be better off recording in 720P. For cycling you don't really need 1080P and there really isn't much difference in quality, recording at 720 makes it a lot easier to edit and doesn't bog down your PC. Also some cameras allow a wider angle at 720P which is good for cycling.
Wal42 wrote: I tried another lower def 'lip stick' camera, mounted on the side of my helmet, it's way lighter but doesn't segment the video, so you end up with one massive file, that you can't upload onto you tube.
Why not just edit the file? If you want some information about video editors check out the Bicycle Camera FAQ's link in my signature and scroll down the page to the editing section.

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:16 am

fingy wrote:I have been using a version 2 808 #16 keychain cam with the D (120 deg) lens as a helmet cam,

At ~$42 it must be the best bang for the buck camera.
For a cycling camera the 808 #16 or the Jumbo are all you really need. They are inexpensive and easy to mount just about anywhere on the person or bike.

Graeme

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:31 pm

GraemeL wrote:
You would be better off recording in 720P. For cycling you don't really need 1080P and there really isn't much difference in quality, recording at 720 makes it a lot easier to edit and doesn't bog down your PC. Also some cameras allow a wider angle at 720P which is good for cycling.

Why not just edit the file? If you want some information about video editors check out the Bicycle Camera FAQ's link in my signature and scroll down the page to the editing section.

Graeme

I just checked the camera & it isn't 1080P but 720P so that obviously isn't the issue.

I've loaded a video editor but most are for Vista or later, I still run XP as I'm not sure that Microsoft have worked out what system they want (Vista been & gone, 7 is now being replaced by 8), you can't download the old video maker for XP anymore, I've uploaded ezyvid haven't gone in to have a play as yet, I basically only did it so that I could put a music track on the videos, with it mounted on top of the helmet you can only hear my voice & nothing else (very boring & I keep letting Mr Pottymouth off the chain), it loads & moves quite easily on my computer, it's only uploading to you tube that I have an issue & usually I start late Sat afternoon & when I get up Sunday they're all loaded.

For a camera under Aus$80 delivered it does a good job, it rattles around quite a bit when it's handlebar mounted, that & I like to 'aim' it, helmet mounted works better for me.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:22 am

Wal42 wrote: I just checked the camera & it isn't 1080P but 720P so that obviously isn't the issue.

I've loaded a video editor but most are for Vista or later, I still run XP as I'm not sure that Microsoft have worked out what system they want (Vista been & gone, 7 is now being replaced by 8), you can't download the old video maker for XP anymore, I've uploaded ezyvid haven't gone in to have a play as yet, I basically only did it so that I could put a music track on the videos, with it mounted on top of the helmet you can only hear my voice & nothing else (very boring & I keep letting Mr Pottymouth off the chain), it loads & moves quite easily on my computer, it's only uploading to you tube that I have an issue & usually I start late Sat afternoon & when I get up Sunday they're all loaded.

For a camera under Aus$80 delivered it does a good job, it rattles around quite a bit when it's handlebar mounted, that & I like to 'aim' it, helmet mounted works better for me.
Uploading problems are mainly due to your connection speed, upload speeds are more often than not a lot slower than your download speed. It will also depend on the size of the file you are uploading.

If the camera rattles when mounted to the bar, add some rubber strips and make sure the mount is really tight, but if you prefer helmet mounted then it's not a problem.

Graeme

VRE

Postby VRE » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:20 am

GraemeL wrote:You would be better off recording in 720P. For cycling you don't really need 1080P and there really isn't much difference in quality, recording at 720 makes it a lot easier to edit and doesn't bog down your PC. Also some cameras allow a wider angle at 720P which is good for cycling.
Number plates are a lot harder to read in a 720p recording.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:47 am

GraemeL wrote: If the camera rattles when mounted to the bar, add some rubber strips and make sure the mount is really tight....
Graeme
thanks to fingy's post I bought a this mount for my #16 camera

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:18 am

VRE wrote:Number plates are a lot harder to read in a 720p recording.
i've found 720p sufficient for reading rego plates at close range in clear, daytime conditions. undoubtedly 1020p would give enhanced recognition.

480p VGA is insufficient though for anything except cars that pull up right in front of you.

VRE

Postby VRE » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:06 pm

jules21 wrote:
VRE wrote:Number plates are a lot harder to read in a 720p recording.
i've found 720p sufficient for reading rego plates at close range in clear, daytime conditions
Which is exactly why I prefer a higher resolution.

zero

Postby zero » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:59 pm

VRE wrote:
GraemeL wrote:You would be better off recording in 720P. For cycling you don't really need 1080P and there really isn't much difference in quality, recording at 720 makes it a lot easier to edit and doesn't bog down your PC. Also some cameras allow a wider angle at 720P which is good for cycling.
Number plates are a lot harder to read in a 720p recording.
its actually one of the least important factors in plate reading.

The most important factor is the lens of the camera, as a slightly telephoto lens will make the plate readable from much further away where the plate will be at a much squarer angle to the camera, and for far more frames.

norbs

Postby norbs » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:17 am

Pretty sure it has been mentioned before, but be careful if you use a GoPro mount. My camera ended up abandoning ship and flew straight under the wheels of a B-Double. The mount had sheered off the 2nd time I used it.

Pic here.

Now, who is good at writing letters to companies asking for a replacement camera? :)

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:17 am

norbs wrote:Pretty sure it has been mentioned before, but be careful if you use a GoPro mount. My camera ended up abandoning ship and flew straight under the wheels of a B-Double. The mount had sheered off the 2nd time I used it.

Pic here.

Now, who is good at writing letters to companies asking for a replacement camera? :)
That's a lovely picture of the broken mount, but I was really expecting to see a picture of the squashed camera.

Or what would be even better is the footage from the time the camera departed the bars to the time it met its fate under the wheels of the BD. I'm sure if you sent that to the makers of the GoPro you might not only score a new camera, but possibly video of the year. Did the memory card survive the impact ?
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

norbs

Postby norbs » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:24 am

ZepinAtor wrote:
norbs wrote:Pretty sure it has been mentioned before, but be careful if you use a GoPro mount. My camera ended up abandoning ship and flew straight under the wheels of a B-Double. The mount had sheered off the 2nd time I used it.

Pic here.

That's a lovely picture of the broken mount, but I was really expecting to see a picture of the squashed camera.

Or what would be even better is the footage from the time the camera departed the bars to the time it met its fate under the wheels of the BD. I'm sure if you sent that to the makers of the GoPro you might not only score a new camera, but possibly video of the year. Did the memory card survive the impact ?

As you requested...

Ouch

We looked for the memory card for 10 minutes. No luck.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:34 am

Mmmmmmm ? I don't see a camera. I see a mangled case & a bit of lens.

Maybe the remainder is in the tread going around & around on the highway to camera hell.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

ray

Postby ray » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:44 am

MattyK wrote:
MattyK wrote:This looks nice:
http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2012/8/22/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... eview.html
Review part two up:
http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2012/9/4/l" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... art-2.html
Received the Liquid Image Ego on Friday but I haven't tried it out yet. I'm hoping to use this as a rear camera. Originally I wanted to pick up the Jumbo 808 #16 but with an 1 hour battery life it would have been good for my commutes to work but not for my longer weekend rides 3-5 hours. The Ego should provide around 2hrs by itself and should be more rain proof than the Jumbo plus the option of an extended battery soon and the ability to frame the video image with the iPhone prompted me to go for the Ego.

Mounting - I'm hoping to attach the ego which comes with a standard tripod mount to the seat post. Are there any mounts that will allow me to attach it to the seat post but at 90 degrees (i.e. allows me to keep the camera upright)? I like the Contour Roam with its 270 degrees lenses which I will keep up front but hoping to get the Countour Plus 2 if the reviews are posititive. I think this will be a good bike setup as it records GPS and has an removable battery which I miss with the roam.