Video Camera who uses one?

darkelf921

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby darkelf921 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:59 pm

So I finally wrote a review of the RidEye camera. Essentially a great camera as long as it doesn't rain. Mine has died as it got wet. Cedric is replacing it but a camera that dies when it rains is a problem.

http://darkelf921.blogspot.com/2015/03/ ... eview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:49 pm

Just thought I'd whack this up here, I recently acquired an SJCAM SJ4000 and SJ 5000. Still yet to go through the footage from the ride with a mate where we tried both cams.

Anyway, here is a sample clip from the SJ4000 with standard handlebar mount with no stabilisation or editing. I'm running the roadies tyres at 100psi and I believe I can reduce the shaking a little if I play around with how I mount it with the standard mount. Obviously the blue hue is a bit much on the sky, but not too bad overall for the price. I'll have the full vid of this ride out later this week if you want to check out more scenes.

Cheerio.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:34 pm

fuzzy, where did you purchase yours from?

Im pretty keen on the Sj4000, tossing between that or the wifi version.

Will probably also use it as a dash cam for the days i drive in and weekends.

Do you think a k-edge mount would be more stable?

cheers for the clip!

coyote

Postby coyote » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:09 pm

edsa wrote:Saw this in Japan but wasnt in the market for another camera.
http://shop.panasonic.com/toughfb/HX-A100D.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You could mount the camera under the stem with a bit of rubber padding to dampen vibrations and zip ties and put the recorder in a deuter frame bag.. or a topeak tri bag on your top tube
Could be your aero option..
Would be good for mounting on a helmet with cable down your back and the rest in a jersery pocket or back pack. Were can you get them from? 8)

apsilon

Postby apsilon » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:10 pm

coyote wrote:Would be good for mounting on a helmet with cable down your back and the rest in a jersery pocket or back pack. Were can you get them from? 8)
Could be just what I'm after so I just bought one from B&H for US$130 and US$17 delivery. Note that there's a 4k version now but at almost 3x the price I'll leave that for a while.

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:59 am

jaseyjase wrote:fuzzy, where did you purchase yours from?

Im pretty keen on the Sj4000, tossing between that or the wifi version.

Will probably also use it as a dash cam for the days i drive in and weekends.

Do you think a k-edge mount would be more stable?

cheers for the clip!
I purchased mine from DealsMachine, didn't take too long to arrive either. I've purchased some rip-off k-edge mounts to see if that will help it. I rekon it will, the factory mount (gopro style) holds the camera too high by the time you put the extension on in (my opinion). I might actually chuck it on my commuter and see how it goes tomorrow on the way into work.

I opted for no wifi as I wanted to test the camera, in case it was a POS :lol: I also have an SJ5000, which doesn't have the blue tinge to it, but I've only been on one ride with it and we didn't mount it very well so the results were good, but I couldn't compare them to the SJ4000.

One thing to note is that when I got mine, there was this annoying rattle being captured in the recording. Turns out the buttons were rattling around, so it may pay to put some sticky tape over the top of them - but you can test that by shaking the camera and listening for the rattle.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:31 am

Thanks for the tips on the rattle fuzz, gonna have to take a stab soon.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:35 am

darkelf921 wrote:So I finally wrote a review of the RidEye camera. Essentially a great camera as long as it doesn't rain. Mine has died as it got wet. Cedric is replacing it but a camera that dies when it rains is a problem.

http://darkelf921.blogspot.com/2015/03/ ... eview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Darkelf, Cedrick made me feel that I was the only one not getting 15hrs @720p and I was only one of a handful to have water ingress.

He has committed to replacing mine, but not for at least a couple of months. Apparently he is modifying the build process to improve the sealing, though he also did say that the current manufacturing process is within tolerance...

I have covered the front of my second camera with a sheet of plastic held in place with a rubber band (behind the USB port). This does work but reduces the image quality.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:11 pm

Put the SJ4000 on a cheap ebay alloy mount and gave it a run too and from work so see how it went. Reduced the vibrations a lot compared to when I ran it on the same bike, but unfortunately didn't save any videos from that.. The $8 mount makes a big difference.

The only thing I would suggest, that if you buy a cheap mount, go and replace the screws before you use it. I somehow managed to round one of the screws when I went to remove the camera at work, even though it wasn't torqued up excessively, they appear to be a pretty soft alloy. I've already replaced all of them with better screws.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:29 pm

Any thoughts on the feasibility of using a BarFly Universal Mount attached to a seatpost so that a Fly6 can be mounted? The seatpost diameter just happens to be 31.8mm (same as handlebar) so the clamp should fit. The bike in question (belonging to the better half) doesn't have enough seatpost to mount a Fly6 in the normal way.

http://www.barflybike.com/bar-fly-universal-mount/

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:51 am

trailgumby wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Anyone found a decent gopro seatpost or saddle mount along the lines of the K-Edge saddle mount ? The genuine gopro mount is too chunky for my taste & I am too cheap to fork out the $ for a k-edge. Plenty of copies of the K-edge bar mounts going for $10-$15 but nothing for the rear
Yup. +1. Interested to know this too.
Found this saddle mount about 6 months ago & thus far it is working well
Anything you can do, I can do slower

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:32 pm

What's the lowest price for a 32gb class 10 micro sd card?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:50 pm

biker jk wrote:What's the lowest price for a 32gb class 10 micro sd card?
I picked up mine (SanDisk) from OfficeWorks for $29
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:05 pm

I got SanDisk Ultra 32gb class 10 micro card from ebay for $17.90. Best to get it from "shopping express" seller.
It`s not a fake micro card and it`s from Alexandria NSW. It works with no probs.

*edit* It was the Easter special price but it varies.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:12 am

Bunged Knee wrote:
I got SanDisk Ultra 32gb class 10 micro card from ebay for $17.90. Best to get it from "shopping express" seller.
It`s not a fake micro card and it`s from Alexandria NSW. It works with no probs.

*edit* It was the Easter special price but it varies.
Thanks! Just bought some at that price.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:50 am

Having to charge my fly6 everyday now, lasting a week is a distant memory
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:44 pm

cancan64 wrote:Having to charge my fly6 everyday now, lasting a week is a distant memory
My fly6 battery slowly died... The kind guys at fly6 replaced it with another 1st gen one, although I barely get 2.5 to 3 hrs out of it without the tailight on...

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:08 pm

cancan64 wrote:Having to charge my fly6 everyday now, lasting a week is a distant memory
Throw it away and get a RidEye. Just don't use it if it rains ;-)
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:55 pm

darkelf921 wrote:
Throw it away and get a RidEye. Just don't use it if it rains ;-)
Rideye needs a plastic sheet to stop water ingress, this reduces clarity.

Buy a new fly6, batteries don't last forever.

I get around the same run time on my gen2 fly 6 (not using as a tail light) as I do on my rideye set down to 720p. The Fly6 I think is cheaper too. Pushys.com.au has a promo on then ATM.

Still waiting after 2 months for Rideye to ship my 2 replacements due to water and battery issues. BTW, rideye has a 90 day warranty, Cycliq 12 months...
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:17 pm

This looks to be a good'un.
I especially like the night mode - chuck on a visible spectrum filter and with your IR illuminator will be able to see number plates at night, without headlight glare I reckon...

http://www.gizmag.com/panasonic-hx-a1-a ... pov/36989/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just in time for my Contour +2 to crap out on me...

Cheers,

Time

neild

Postby neild » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:56 pm

The Panasonic looks interesting but they say the extended battery gives 2 hours 45 minutes. If that's the case then the standard battery must be pretty short.
Norco VFR1 Disc, Merida 903, Mofo Single Speed, Giant MTB, soon to be vintage Gazelle fixie

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:02 pm

Timeonabike wrote:This looks to be a good'un.
I especially like the night mode - chuck on a visible spectrum filter and with your IR illuminator will be able to see number plates at night, without headlight glare I reckon...

http://www.gizmag.com/panasonic-hx-a1-a ... pov/36989/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just in time for my Contour +2 to crap out on me...
Thanks for the heads-up. I have been considering a Contour 2 to replace my old one which died but this might be a better option if the battery is acceptable.

Andrew

apsilon

Postby apsilon » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:35 am

Timeonabike wrote:This looks to be a good'un.

I just received the Panasonic HX-A100 that I mentioned I ordered a couple of weeks ago. To be fair I haven't had time to really play with it but so far the interface is a PITA (some items are only configurable using an app on a smartphone via wifi and getting the two to talk wasn't as simple as it should be) and I haven't yet figured out how to delete videos (they're marked as read only by default and you can't change that in the usual way). It also take 4 hours to charge the battery and has the same 2.5 - 2.75 hour battery life. I plan on spending some time with it this weekend and update my thoughts but I can only hope this new model is improved.

I do like this format of camera, I think it lends itself far better to helmet mounting that something like the GoPro and Virb.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:24 pm

biker jk wrote:Any thoughts on the feasibility of using a BarFly Universal Mount attached to a seatpost so that a Fly6 can be mounted? The seatpost diameter just happens to be 31.8mm (same as handlebar) so the clamp should fit. The bike in question (belonging to the better half) doesn't have enough seatpost to mount a Fly6 in the normal way.

http://www.barflybike.com/bar-fly-universal-mount/
This link came up with no pic. But the URL of the "universal -mount" are reversed. http://www.barflybike.com/shop/mtb-mounts/universal/
Had a looked on it and it cost $27 delivered or more. I don`t know as I didn`t buy it. This looked not bad.
But I bought KREX handle bar/space extender from ebay for $15.90 off seller "hosiery_queen001" from Taiwan.
It took 2 weeks to door. I`ve ordered it on 6th April and it arrived to my door on 15th.
As I`ve got large saddle bag and no room to put Fly6 and this KREX can be able to attached to seat post with saddle bag in place with no probs.
Don`t need the adapters and put the rubber strip of your own or make one around the post. It feel light alloy about 68gm.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KREX-Light-C ... 233d0a4f7f
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:50 pm

New Garmin VIRB Camera range:

http://www.gizmag.com/garmin-virb-x-xe- ... ams/37030/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi