Video Camera who uses one?

il padrone

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:24 pm

steve-waters wrote:geoffs - can I ask why the bunch was riding so slowly and strung out in what appeared to be the middle of the road?
Multiple lane road, there is no requirement to ride in the left lane. As many drivers do, cyclists may choose to ride in any lane that they require. In this case, parked cars and an up-coming right-hand turn set the scene. And at 6.50am who really should be that worried :?
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

chucknitro

Postby chucknitro » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:40 pm

il padrone wrote:And at 6.50am who really should be that worried :?
Strangely my scariest experience was on a 3 lane road very early one Saturday morning. One car decided the outer 2 lanes were impeding him and decided to pass down "the inside" at speed. Not sure how he missed me but I certainly noticed him go past. Definitely had me wondering whether more lanes = greater security :shock:

EDIT: spelling
2018 Canyon Endurance SLX DB 9.0 DI

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:02 pm

il pardone - sometimes it is not about requirements and laws but being mindful of others and or more importantly taking care of yourself.

geoffs - I do see the point about the parked cars and in a bunch it is hard to pull in and out while watching for cars behind you all the time.

On the roads at 6am on a Saturday is either going to be tradies heading to work or party people coming home either high on "life" or sleep deprived either way scary.
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

Johnj

Postby Johnj » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:51 pm

As a noobie bunch rider I really appreciate the experience I'm getting riding with Saturday Slowies. I was there on Saturday, that's me in the long-sleeve red jersey directly behind behind the car stopped at the lights. The reason I wasn't in front of the car (or underneath it) is because I heard it coming and hauled on the brakes. The behavior of this driver was simply inexcusable. Like a small proportion of motorists he apparently doesn't acknowledge our right to be on the road at all. Going postal at 6.45am on a Saturday morning because you've been baulked by cyclists? Do people really think he'd have been happy if we'd been doing 35 km/h?

I think some critique of the bunch riding is fair, but how are people like myself supposed to get experience?

zero

Postby zero » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:26 am

Johnj wrote:As a noobie bunch rider I really appreciate the experience I'm getting riding with Saturday Slowies. I was there on Saturday, that's me in the long-sleeve red jersey directly behind behind the car stopped at the lights. The reason I wasn't in front of the car (or underneath it) is because I heard it coming and hauled on the brakes. The behavior of this driver was simply inexcusable. Like a small proportion of motorists he apparently doesn't acknowledge our right to be on the road at all. Going postal at 6.45am on a Saturday morning because you've been baulked by cyclists? Do people really think he'd have been happy if we'd been doing 35 km/h?

I think some critique of the bunch riding is fair, but how are people like myself supposed to get experience?
There is no issue with the bunch at all. its really silly for a bunch to try dodge between parked cars, or for a bunch to break up because one guy hasn't got patience. Not only is cutting into the middle of a bunch dangerous and illegal, its NO HELP to the motorist - he is still stuck behind cyclists. Basically you are entity that is not much longer than bus, not any slower than a bus, with just as many people as bus would have at that time in the morning. The guy was being a tool simply because you weren't a bus that wouldn't even notice him being a tool.

geoffs

Postby geoffs » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:48 am

and said driver was invited to attend the station tonight to give and account for for behaviour.
On arrival he said we were a threatening group and he had done nothing wrong. His brother is some kind of lawyer apparently and was pretty !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! sure that he could get his brother off the charges.
Then they were shown the video.
Driver didn't say anything much after that on the advice from his brother and wont be contesting the tickets.

Marto

Postby Marto » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:59 am

geoffs wrote:and said driver was invited to attend the station tonight to give and account for for behaviour.
On arrival he said we were a threatening group and he had done nothing wrong. His brother is some kind of lawyer apparently and was pretty courier sure that he could get his brother off the charges.
Driver didn't say anything much after that on the advice from his brother and wont be contesting the tickets.
This is a good answer to the question "Why do you have a camera on your bike?"

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:55 am

geoffs wrote:Then they were shown the video.
QED!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:30 am

geoffs wrote: and wont be contesting the tickets.
Huh? You mean to say it's a trivial matter and only requires a few tickets? I would have thought it meant prison for at least 12 months.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:40 am

As was said by Matro this is the answer to why have a camera and glad to hear that guy is getting his as well.
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

cinnyis

Postby cinnyis » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:57 am

uncle arthur wrote: ....it doesn't look as close as it really was because I am at the back of our little group.
It looked very close to me uncle arthur!! Thanks for sharing you video, I've been tempted to buy that camera when it's come up on 1 day a couple of times but just wasn't sure what the quality would be like. From memory it's about $56 with postage when on sale. For that price why not!
Dey see me rollin'
o__ ~~
_>/ _ ~~~
(_)\(_) ~~~~ Dey hatin'

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:12 am

GraemeL wrote:
geoffs wrote: and wont be contesting the tickets.
Huh? You mean to say it's a trivial matter and only requires a few tickets? I would have thought it meant prison for at least 12 months.
easy tiger :)

Nate

Postby Nate » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:20 pm

For those "bullet" style cameras - i know a few places in China you can get them.
640x480 MJPEG, fully sealed/waterproof & they're about $50 delivered ($35 + courrier)

Pics & samples here: http://www.rigidmount.com/university.html
PM/contact me & i can pass on supplier details

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:28 pm

Nate wrote:For those "bullet" style cameras - i know a few places in China you can get them.
640x480 MJPEG, fully sealed/waterproof & they're about $50 delivered ($35 + courrier)

Pics & samples here: http://www.rigidmount.com/university.html
PM/contact me & i can pass on supplier details
Like this but cheaper? http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/1DCMHN919 What's your opinion on this one too?

Pls PM me if yes :)

Cheers!

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:19 pm

Like this but cheaper? http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/1DCMHN919 What's your opinion on this one too?

Cheers!
That's the one I've got.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:21 pm

cinnyis wrote:
uncle arthur wrote: ....it doesn't look as close as it really was because I am at the back of our little group.
It looked very close to me uncle arthur!! Thanks for sharing you video, I've been tempted to buy that camera when it's come up on 1 day a couple of times but just wasn't sure what the quality would be like. From memory it's about $56 with postage when on sale. For that price why not!
I spoke to the guy's manager the other day - infraction = 1 written warning from the management. One more warning (for anything) means DCM.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Nate

Postby Nate » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:24 pm

thomashouseman wrote:Like this but cheaper? http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/1DCMHN919 What's your opinion on this one too?
Cheers!
- The iDV: http://www.idv.net.au/
- The bullet/lipstick one i looked at
- that $10 keychain camera
are all basically identical in performance & use similar if not the same circuitry.

The camshot uses AVI - not MJPEG, so it might be a little smoother.

EDIT:
Just looked at arthurs previous post... its a really close call.
Hard to say without a side by side comparison...
MAYBE the camshot is slightly smoother
but my one looks like a nicer image in terms of colour & balance

Mine was about $50 landed ($32 + $26 postage - USD) and takes a week delivery from china.

Marto

Postby Marto » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:21 am

Nate wrote: - The iDV: http://www.idv.net.au/
- The bullet/lipstick one i looked at
- that $10 keychain camera
are all basically identical in performance & use similar if not the same circuitry.
See the $10 mini cam postings: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=35922.

I have 2x $10 cameras, and both cut out/switch off at random times. Trying to work out why, but more shock absorbent material, freshly formatted SD cards, and fully charged batteries didn't help. It isn't associated with rough road surface.

It might be best to see the $10 cameras as a cheap way to 'dip your toe in the water' to see how you go with bike cameras, before taking the plunge to something more expensive.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:39 am

geoffs wrote:and said driver was invited to attend the station tonight to give and account for for behaviour.
On arrival he said we were a threatening group and he had done nothing wrong. His brother is some kind of lawyer apparently and was pretty courier sure that he could get his brother off the charges.
It's a real shame you couldn't video him watching the video! How many points did he lose off his licence?
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:27 am

Hi

A sample video of the Contour HD1080 pre-dawn this week. It was taken about 10 to 15 minutes before the official sunrise time as shown on my Garmin Edge 800.

Andrew

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:38 am

I've got a $10 cam too, had problems with cutting out then bought a new micro SD card from a bricks n mortar shop and no problems since then.... the old SD card is on it's last legs I think... I think I'm going to keep the $10 as a rear mount and get something nicer for the front. The rear mount I have is just a reflector (or some other bracket) I found lying around, a velcro dot and a cable tie for extra security. I ride fatties though so there isn't too much vibration.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:46 am

jet-ski wrote:I've got a $10 cam too, had problems with cutting out then bought a new micro SD card from a bricks n mortar shop and no problems since then.... the old SD card is on it's last legs I think... I think I'm going to keep the $10 as a rear mount and get something nicer for the front. The rear mount I have is just a reflector (or some other bracket) I found lying around, a velcro dot and a cable tie for extra security. I ride fatties though so there isn't too much vibration.
You might want to try and make it as rigid as possible, otherwise you may find it will vibrate to much.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

Nate

Postby Nate » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:55 am

The biggest issue with vibrations is on the battery pack - if its removable.

If the camera has issues with vibrations & it has an inbuilt (soldered) battery - then it could just be poor build quality & you probably wont get much in terms of trying to resolve that.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:31 pm

Oxford wrote:
geoffs wrote:I have bought a Contour HD which takes great quality video. So long as it's mounted the correct way up.
It came in useful yesterday on the DHBC slowies ride. The link is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ggFFZSjWFU
or search youtube for AF89AG
. Video has been shown to he police and moron will receive tickets for around $600
Image Wont he get a nasty little shock. Absolute Gold. Image

Image How many tickets will he get? Image
Great work mate, what an idiot, good to see you took what he had coming to him too, shame it wasn't harsher but good non the less :D
Happy Days

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:39 pm

sorry guys, I meant I didn't worry about it being too rigid as my bike doesn't vibrate...so no issues really with vibration unless I hit a massive pothole... may not be the fastest bike out there but damn it is a comfy ride ;)
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie