Video Camera who uses one?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby johnm_oz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:45 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I got an Otek 550 off my eldest for Xmas but only got my Rigidmount last week, musta been Nates last proddy run.

To keep me going in the meantime I MacGyvered a mount using a handlebar reflector mount, four zipties, a suitable bolt and two nuts and a small bit of neoprene foam. It worked perfectly. I could maybe get some pics of the concept scratched up tomorrow it anyones interested?

Please do...

Cheers
JM
johnm_oz

by BNA » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:07 pm

BNA

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:07 pm

Will do John.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:59 pm

Well I had some PC-Metal lying around and thought well I got the camera mounts now to go on the rear but I don't actually have anything to screw it onto. I took half the pc-metal and wrapped it around my rear rack and moulded it up so it has a nice little flat platform. Looked at it and tested flexing and it had a little bit so put a bit more reinforcement into a second band near the top of the rack. Once that had set drilled a hole thru it ready for an appropriate screw to use.

With the remaining pc-metal I formed another mount around my carradice saddle bag support and I have done similar to that. Need to get the right screw for it now before I take it out for a test run. The camera will be secured with a secondary mount to save it in case something happens to the one I made.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby jules21 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:46 pm

dclnmurray wrote:Now that rigidmount is not making mounts for this camera http://www.oo.com.au/Otek-720p-High-Def ... P38528.cfm
Does anyone have any suggestions for other mounts?

i have a mount from rigidmount for this, but i never got round to buying the actual camera. i will send it to if you if donate cost ($15 from memory) to my charity - subject to postage cost (no idea what it would be).
jules21

Postby GraemeL » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:06 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Well I had some PC-Metal lying around and thought well I got the camera mounts now to go on the rear but I don't actually have anything to screw it onto. I took half the pc-metal and wrapped it around my rear rack and moulded it up so it has a nice little flat platform. Looked at it and tested flexing and it had a little bit so put a bit more reinforcement into a second band near the top of the rack. Once that had set drilled a hole thru it ready for an appropriate screw to use.

With the remaining pc-metal I formed another mount around my carradice saddle bag support and I have done similar to that. Need to get the right screw for it now before I take it out for a test run. The camera will be secured with a secondary mount to save it in case something happens to the one I made.

Sounds interesting, can you post some photos of it?

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:01 pm

Here we go, MacGyver mount v1.3 for the Otek 550 camera...

It was just thrown together for demo purposes, the working model was finished a little more neatly. The dual ziptie arrangement to steady the camera is not the best on this demo rig, done properly there's sufficient side clearance to not foul the battery hatch and cable port cover during fitting and removal of the camera. The pale muck is BluTack residue from where the neoprene foam was mounted, it protected the camera body from the plastic and methinks possibly absorbed some vibration.

Hope this helps.

Shaun

EDIT Don't forget the lanyard for extra security.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Just pics of my mount, gotta get the bolt for it. Suggestions would be appreciated, but I'm thinking something involving a wingnut would be handy.
That is on the rear of my Masi Speciale CX
The above 2 are taken on my Thorn Raven Nomad

Lanyard is going to secure it in both cases. If for some reason it does break, I'm going to use the hole on my rack to screw another mount onto that
Baalzamon

Postby newbikeorupgrade » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:32 pm

I got virtual dub but no mp4 support anything else recommended?
Also is there a way to combine frames to get more clarity/sharpness out of images?
newbikeorupgrade

Postby johnm_oz » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:32 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Here we go, MacGyver mount v1.3 for the Otek 550 camera...

It was just thrown together for demo purposes, the working model was finished a little more neatly. The dual ziptie arrangement to steady the camera is not the best on this demo rig, done properly there's sufficient side clearance to not foul the battery hatch and cable port cover during fitting and removal of the camera. The pale muck is BluTack residue from where the neoprene foam was mounted, it protected the camera body from the plastic and methinks possibly absorbed some vibration.

Hope this helps.

Shaun

EDIT Don't forget the lanyard for extra security.
p
Thanks, Shaun, that's heading towards what I had in mind.

Tried mine out today just rubberbannded to the bar, it certainly needs something a bit more solid

Cheers
JM
johnm_oz

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:22 am

The 2 mounts I made with pc-metal are rock solid. I can move the bike just by pushing it forward or up and down. But still lanyard will be used :)
Baalzamon

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:32 am

For those that want a cheap Go Pro they are back in stock here

If you buy one use hbf in the coupon code to get 5% off.
Mugglechops

Postby norbs » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:55 am

Mugglechops wrote:For those that want a cheap Go Pro they are back in stock here

Nice find Lewy.
norbs

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:18 am

norbs wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:For those that want a cheap Go Pro they are back in stock here

Nice find Lewy.

And I finally bought one. Good prices on bits too compared to Aus.
Mugglechops

Postby Crawf » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:08 am

How much is shipping tho?

I got a Naked for $230 at LBS.
Crawf

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:24 am

Crawf wrote:How much is shipping tho?

I got a Naked for $230 at LBS.

I just paid $366 delivered for a Hero 2 motorsports with a chesty mount and bike mount.

The naked is priced about the same here and the US as its the old model. The 2 is RRP of $399 here and no one discounts them. US retail is $299.
Mugglechops

Postby khendar » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:15 pm

Finally got out for a ride with my 808 camera today. I think I need to rethink my mount a little bit. The video I got was incredibly shaky with a strange wobble effect. I'm guessing it had something to do with the rolling shutter on the camera and the framerate as much as the roughness of the road. I'm going to try velcroing the camera to my helmet and fiddling with some of the settings.

Never mind the music. I was messing around with Movie Maker :P

The mount:
khendar

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:55 pm

Wouldn't be some sort of interference from the other electronics on the bar? :?
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby khendar » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:18 am

Mulger bill wrote:Wouldn't be some sort of interference from the other electronics on the bar? :?

I suppose its possible, I doubt it though. It looks like the wobble effect, caused by the rolling shutter in the CMOS sensor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

I think the only solution is to find a different way to mount it to absorb some of the vibrations.
khendar

Postby master6 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:59 am

khendar wrote: way to mount it to absorb some of the vibrations.

I found that vibrations were occurring in the velcro pad. A rubber band stretched around the camera and mount ,so as to compress the velcro, made a big improvement.
master6

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:23 am

Any tips for micro SD cards, looking at 16 GB (min) and understand I need class 10.

Have a Contour GPS on loan and in my first trial the flexi strap, bar mounted meant very shaky video. Road are rough. Handlebar mount wont fit on this bike but will try the helmet mount next. Unfortunatelly my memory card was full before the I was cut off by a motorist who proceeded to educate me about the value of road rego, in colourful language. A small win for me, she didn't know I drive as well so pay rego, while I didn't have a chance to inform her, let make it a +1,for me ;)
2015 BNA Cycling Kit Now Available for Pre-Order
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Oxford » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:39 am

Mulger bill wrote:Wouldn't be some sort of interference from the other electronics on the bar? :?

I think that's a thing to consider. I remember when I changed the mounting of my camera and my GPS didn't work. didn't put 2 & 2 together for about a week, then I realised the electronic interference from the camera was upsetting the GPS reception. moved the camera to the other side and bingo, the GPS started working again. :?
I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.
Oxford

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:29 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Any tips for micro SD cards, looking at 16 GB (min) and understand I need class 10.

Have a Contour GPS on loan and in my first trial the flexi strap, bar mounted meant very shaky video. Road are rough. Handlebar mount wont fit on this bike but will try the helmet mount next. Unfortunatelly my memory card was full before the I was cut off by a motorist who proceeded to educate me about the value of road rego, in colourful language. A small win for me, she didn't know I drive as well so pay rego, while I didn't have a chance to inform her, let make it a +1,for me ;)

Why do you think you need a class 10? I'm using a class 4 Sandisk 16GB in my contour GPS and it works perfectly fine. I ran mine on the rear mount I made up, I'll post up a video of it when I get home. It's not quite horizontal, I've adjusted the lens to try and compensate for that on the way home tonight. No vibrations but I'm riding on smooth paths and roads and 2" tyres help as well. Any bumps on the paths from tree roots were a non issue for it as well. So apart from the horizontal issue which I can sort out with the lens, I'm very happy with that mount.
Baalzamon

Postby newbikeorupgrade » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:07 pm

Ive used class 4 8 gig for light 10 bucks from centrecom works fine on 808.

I think the interference thing is FCC wont let you not accept interference...
(lead box they dont sell those anymore at dick smith) :D
newbikeorupgrade

Postby MickMelb » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:07 pm

Contour discussion forum has advice from Contour Staff that Class 4 is fine. http://support.contour.com/contour/topics/contour_gps_micro_sd_class_requirement

Wish I known 'cos I got class 10!

Centre.com have 16Gb Kingston class 10 micro SD for $26 or Class 4 for $20 which is hard to beat.

I'm using the flex strap on the headset. Very good video except for annoying rattle from rotating mount itself. Many users have made same comment and solved it with super glue which makes it a fixed mount. Not really an issue to dedicate a mount to a bike they are available from evans at an almost reasonable cost

BTW it is understood that Nokia battery BL-5C is a perfect match for the contour battery and is much cheaper.

I had a near miss last night and was really looking forward to getting the clip off the camera - especially as the aging merc driver was on the phone. Major disappointment then to realise that I'd failed to set the camera to record!

Enjoy the ContourGPS - while not perfect in every way (on-off button) it is a fun toy!

Michael
MickMelb

Postby GraemeL » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:42 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Any tips for micro SD cards, looking at 16 GB (min) and understand I need class 10.

Class 4 min Class 6 ideal. Class 10 is a waste IMHO, but be sure to buy a reputable brand.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion