Video Camera who uses one?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:05 pm

Just don't get a micro SD card from ebay. I got one fraud Sandisk micro SD. Tried to contact the buyer and nothing happened, so took it to paypal and got my money back. Quiet easy with Sandisk support saying is was fake.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

by BNA » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:15 pm

BNA

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:15 pm

Finally got home and I am now able to hear the audio due to not having speakers in my work pc. Speakers are plugged into my phone for music :) I had the contour gps in it's waterproof camera today positioned at the rear. The audio is much much much better now. I can hear my pedalling which I can't if it was helmet mounted, but I couldn't hear any speaking I did. So that is now going to be on my rear perm, now for a camera for the front in due course that is waterproof and 2hrs battery life.
Baalzamon

Postby houawu » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:54 am

this stuff looks useful to me....
It can make some very nice films
houawu

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback on the micro SD card classes.

Am looking at how a pro sets up the bike mounts this weekend for ultimate video quality :)
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:42 pm

Mind you for some reason my Contour GPS refused to continue filming yesterday when there was only 2.18GB free on my 16GB card. This was on a commute so I think it's time I got a 32GB card. That 16GB card can go in my phone!
Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:34 pm

My rear camera mount test on the roughest part of my commute.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt1AOkiwdoI&context=C41f625dADvjVQa1PpcFNwWbIpvLRlU0gw4OWA2VgVdSQ0sy34dkE=[/youtube]
Baalzamon

Postby GraemeL » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:19 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Mind you for some reason my Contour GPS refused to continue filming yesterday when there was only 2.18GB free on my 16GB card. This was on a commute so I think it's time I got a 32GB card. That 16GB card can go in my phone!

Could it be the battery jarred loose?

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:31 pm

GraemeL wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Mind you for some reason my Contour GPS refused to continue filming yesterday when there was only 2.18GB free on my 16GB card. This was on a commute so I think it's time I got a 32GB card. That 16GB card can go in my phone!

Could it be the battery jarred loose?

Graeme

Actually scrub that I found it. So yep got the full commute in, but I do need a 16GB card for my phone and I can get a 32GB micro sd Kingston class 10 from a supplier for dirt cheap compared to retail pricing.
Baalzamon

Postby trailgumby » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:41 pm

Baalzamon wrote:My rear camera mount test on the roughest part of my commute.

Uh-oh. :shock:

I see a CCR points deduction for being overtaken by a tradie in long work pants, work boots and chuckbucket helmet. :P

:wink: :wink:

Mount looks good - nice and solid with no shake that I could see.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby GraemeL » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Yet another DIY mount, I made this to mount my GoPro down low and it can be used with any camera that accepts a tipod mount. Cost wise it's probably $5

I used to small L brackets and mounted it to the rear quick release. One bracket is mounted to the quick release and the other is inverted to add some strngth. It is rock solid without any movement what so ever. I like having the camera down there because it captures plates really well and youdon't knock it with your leg when pedalling. It doesn't get caught on things because your leg is slightly further out than the mount.

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:58 pm

Cool mount I like it. I hope my Go Pro shows up next week.
Mugglechops

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:27 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:My rear camera mount test on the roughest part of my commute.

Uh-oh. :shock:

I see a CCR points deduction for being overtaken by a tradie in long work pants, work boots and chuckbucket helmet. :P

:wink: :wink:

Mount looks good - nice and solid with no shake that I could see.

That is a workmate, and he is a on a 29er with a front shock.
Baalzamon

Postby GraemeL » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:17 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Cool mount I like it. I hope my Go Pro shows up next week.

Give it a try, I am sure you won't be dissapointed.

GraemeL

Postby johnm_oz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:36 pm

Just bought a couple of these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170804552039 ... 1497.l2649

If nothing else they'll give me a couple of clamps and tripod screws to work with...

Cheers
JM
johnm_oz

Postby GraemeL » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:52 am

johnm_oz wrote:Just bought a couple of these

If nothing else they'll give me a couple of clamps and tripod screws to work with...

Cheers
JM

Let us know what they arelike when you get them.

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby jasonc » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:56 am

GraemeL - off topic. but what camera are you using to take those photos. is it a DSLR? they just look crisp
jasonc

Postby Crittski » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:12 am

I already have a ContourGPS and picked up a ContourRoam second hand for half the new price, so will have front and rear facing cameras for my commute. Just need one on the helmet now (I don't like the weight of the contour on the helmet, it would be great to find a really light camera for the helmet...)
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra
Crittski

Postby Nate » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 pm

khendar wrote:Finally got out for a ride with my 808 camera today. I think I need to rethink my mount a little bit. The video I got was incredibly shaky with a strange wobble effect. I'm guessing it had something to do with the rolling shutter on the camera and the framerate as much as the roughness of the road.

yeap 100% rolling shutter & vibration - not wobble.
The SMALLEST of vibrations will do that, can you strap the camera to the mount a little better? (inner tube?)
Nate

Postby master6 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:35 pm

Nate wrote:
khendar wrote:Finally got out for a ride with my 808 camera today. I think I need to rethink my mount a little bit. The video I got was incredibly shaky with a strange wobble effect. I'm guessing it had something to do with the rolling shutter on the camera and the framerate as much as the roughness of the road.

The SMALLEST of vibrations will do that, can you strap the camera to the mount a little better? (inner tube?)

My camera is mounted using the velcro pads that came with it. I found a lot of vibration, and eliminated most of it by wrapping a strong rubber band around the camera and mount.
master6

Postby johnm_oz » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:21 pm

GraemeL wrote:
johnm_oz wrote:Just bought a couple of these

Cheers
JM

Let us know what they arelike when you get them.

Graeme

Shall do. I don't imagine they'll be marvellous, but for the price they should be a good start to fabricate something decent...

Cheers
JM
johnm_oz

Postby GraemeL » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:57 am

jasonc wrote:GraemeL - off topic. but what camera are you using to take those photos. is it a DSLR? they just look crisp

Yep,it's a Canon 50D with a 100mm Macro lens.

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:02 am

master6 wrote:
Nate wrote:

My camera is mounted using the velcro pads that came with it. I found a lot of vibration, and eliminated most of it by wrapping a strong rubber band around the camera and mount.

If your using Velcro, grab yourself some 3M DualLock instead, it holds the camera nice and tight without any play. Also if you are going to use a rubber strip, just use inner tube as Nate suggested. If the rubber is too thick it tends to allow movement.

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby newbikeorupgrade » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:24 pm

I'm building my jumbo tick tack box x 2 atm will let you know the results!!! thanks graham
newbikeorupgrade

Postby master6 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:13 pm

My battery pack for the 808 #16 arrived, and I gave it a run. With an 8GB class4 card, it ran for a whisker over two hours before the card was full. I came home, deleted what was on the card, and set it recording again in our garden. About 3 hours later I collected the camera, and hooked it to the computer. I kept getting a message asking me to insert a card in drive E. I disconnected from the computer, and tried to set the camera recording. It turned off each time when I pressed the shutter button.

My son has the same model camera. His card worked in my camera. My card would not work in his camera.
I took the Verbatim card back to Harvey Norman, as it had a 2 yr warranty. The fella there stuffed around, tried two card readers, and two laptops, said the card readers would not work, and gave me a new card.

It has been suggested to me, by someone who knows a little about computers etc :D :D , (and I know vastly less :D ) that letting the auxiliary battery pack run flat might have a different effect to letting the incamera battery run flat.

Do you have any thoughts on this please?
master6

Postby GraemeL » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:01 am

master6 wrote:My battery pack for the 808 #16 arrived, and I gave it a run. With an 8GB class4 card, it ran for a whisker over two hours before the card was full. I came home, deleted what was on the card, and set it recording again in our garden. About 3 hours later I collected the camera, and hooked it to the computer. I kept getting a message asking me to insert a card in drive E. I disconnected from the computer, and tried to set the camera recording. It turned off each time when I pressed the shutter button.

My son has the same model camera. His card worked in my camera. My card would not work in his camera.
I took the Verbatim card back to Harvey Norman, as it had a 2 yr warranty. The fella there stuffed around, tried two card readers, and two laptops, said the card readers would not work, and gave me a new card.

It has been suggested to me, by someone who knows a little about computers etc :D :D , (and I know vastly less :D ) that letting the auxiliary battery pack run flat might have a different effect to letting the incamera battery run flat.

Do you have any thoughts on this please?

I doubt the battery has any affect on the card. I have run my external flat a few times while connected to the Jumbo and it hasn't affected anything.

From what I understand, using an external battery actually charges the cameras battery, so you are essentially running on the cameras battery anyway. When the external battery runs flat, you still have a fully charged battery in the camera.

If you have a card reader use that to transfer files and format the card, if you don't have one, I recommend you get one.

Graeme

GraemeL

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion