Video Camera who uses one?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:39 pm

I've joined the list of video camera toting commuters.

Tax return = GoPro Hero2 Outdoor = :mrgreen:

Bought from Highly Tuned Athletes yesterday at lunch, and today at lunch it's sitting on my desk. Very happy with the service.

I'll be mounting it on my helmet, though I do have the handlebar mount, which I may play with. I'm also thinking of getting one of those Jumbo keycams and installing it rear-facing under the rack on the back of the commute bike.

One question I had with the new Hero2 - now that it can take a 11MP photo every 0.5sec, would that setting yield a higher quality image of number plates, faces, etc, or would it lose too much of sequence and context by talking 1 frame to the video's 15 (albeit at the much lower 2MP)? I think I'll test it out over the next few rides and see where I get to.

cheers,
Dave
Ozkaban
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:18 pm
Location: Sydney

by BNA » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:08 pm

BNA
 

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:08 pm

Ozkaban wrote:I've joined the list of video camera toting commuters.

Tax return = GoPro Hero2 Outdoor = :mrgreen:

Bought from Highly Tuned Athletes yesterday at lunch, and today at lunch it's sitting on my desk. Very happy with the service.

I'll be mounting it on my helmet, though I do have the handlebar mount, which I may play with. I'm also thinking of getting one of those Jumbo keycams and installing it rear-facing under the rack on the back of the commute bike.

One question I had with the new Hero2 - now that it can take a 11MP photo every 0.5sec, would that setting yield a higher quality image of number plates, faces, etc, or would it lose too much of sequence and context by talking 1 frame to the video's 15 (albeit at the much lower 2MP)? I think I'll test it out over the next few rides and see where I get to.

cheers,
Dave


Mate, if it can take crystal clear pics of my mate doing 100kph monos through fire trails on a wr450, you'll have no drama !
User avatar
wurtulla wabbit
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:08 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby GraemeL » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:16 am

Ozkaban wrote:I've joined the list of video camera toting commuters.

Tax return = GoPro Hero2 Outdoor = :mrgreen:

Bought from Highly Tuned Athletes yesterday at lunch, and today at lunch it's sitting on my desk. Very happy with the service.

I'll be mounting it on my helmet, though I do have the handlebar mount, which I may play with. I'm also thinking of getting one of those Jumbo keycams and installing it rear-facing under the rack on the back of the commute bike.

One question I had with the new Hero2 - now that it can take a 11MP photo every 0.5sec, would that setting yield a higher quality image of number plates, faces, etc, or would it lose too much of sequence and context by talking 1 frame to the video's 15 (albeit at the much lower 2MP)? I think I'll test it out over the next few rides and see where I get to.

cheers,
Dave


The photo every 0.5 is for timelapse photography and it will require a class 10 memory card. You would also fill it pretty quickly, 120 photos every minute.
You won't have any issues capturing rego plates using video.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL
 
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:47 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:24 am

GraemeL wrote:The photo every 0.5 is for timelapse photography and it will require a class 10 memory card. You would also fill it pretty quickly, 120 photos every minute.

Check :mrgreen: 32GB Class 10 Kingston jobbie. Did the job well.


GraemeL wrote:You won't have any issues capturing rego plates using video.
Graeme


I've noticed this.

On my run home yesterday I used 1080p video and on the way back in this morning I did the timelapse photos. I'll upload some screenshots today. The video does capture the number plates very well, but not a patch on the stills. I've been able to read plates parked on the other side of the street and in driveways without enhancements, which is pretty cool. The one major issue is shutter speed. It's pretty good, but the camera is moving at 30-odd kmh and if you move your head (as you tend to!) you do get a few blurry shots. In video mode (with the skeleton door on) the sound is actually ok. If there was an altercation with a driver it would certainly capture the voices, but I'm not sure of the legality of recording sound.

Oh, it does fill up fairly quickly. The 20 min video on the way home was 2.2Gb. The 1984 photos ( 16 min run - downhill :mrgreen: ) on the way in was 3.5Gb.

The other odd little thing about the timelapse is the photos are compressed much more. the 11MP photos averaged about 2-odd Mb each. When taking the photos manually, they're 4.5 to 6Mb. Same resolution.

Cheers,
Dave
Ozkaban
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby geoffs » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:14 am

recording your video at 1080p will give perfect numberplate capture. I tried recording with my Contour HD at 720p and unless the car was close, i wasn't able to read the plates clearly
User avatar
geoffs
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:16 pm
Location: Ashbury

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby GraemeL » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:56 am

720P at 60fps is all you need.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL
 
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:47 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby malocchio » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:48 pm

So I've joined the list of GoPro HD Hero2 owners, haven't taken it out yet but I'm looking forward to capturing a few rides :-)

I'm not sure if this mount has been discussed yet, but has anyone used one of these stem-mounts before? View item

At $30 it's not much of a risky investment so I've bought one, but I'll also be looking at the chest mounts for my commuting options.
User avatar
malocchio
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby wizardhat » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:02 pm

geoffs wrote:recording your video at 1080p will give perfect numberplate capture. I tried recording with my Contour HD at 720p and unless the car was close, i wasn't able to read the plates clearly
The thing that peeves me off about Contour cameras is that the field of view is lower in 1080 mode :(.

Also I wish the K-Edge Contour mounts would be released already!
Image
User avatar
wizardhat
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:25 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Ozkaban » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:18 pm

malocchio wrote:So I've joined the list of GoPro HD Hero2 owners, haven't taken it out yet but I'm looking forward to capturing a few rides :-)

I'm not sure if this mount has been discussed yet, but has anyone used one of these stem-mounts before? View item

At $30 it's not much of a risky investment so I've bought one, but I'll also be looking at the chest mounts for my commuting options.

Interesting mount. The bummer for me is that it blocks the stem mounted computer.

I'm still undecided about the best commuting mount. Helmet mount is fine and captures where you're looking which is great, but you're often looking down when out if the saddle. Handle bar mount is fine but more vibration and no liability oking where you're looking. Chest might be better, but not sure how much.

Cheers,
Dave

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Ozkaban
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby GraemeL » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:29 am

malocchio wrote:So I've joined the list of GoPro HD Hero2 owners, haven't taken it out yet but I'm looking forward to capturing a few rides :-)

I'm not sure if this mount has been discussed yet, but has anyone used one of these stem-mounts before? View item

At $30 it's not much of a risky investment so I've bought one, but I'll also be looking at the chest mounts for my commuting options.


It looks to be the same as the GoPro tripod mount, although it's aluminium and not plastic.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL
 
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:47 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby RonK » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:21 pm

Has anyone spotted a good price for the wifi bacpac and remote kit? The local price is ridiculous, and most sellers don't have stock anyway.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5239
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:11 pm

RonK wrote:Has anyone spotted a good price for the wifi bacpac and remote kit? The local price is ridiculous, and most sellers don't have stock anyway.

Shooting you pm for a potential group buy from davesmotors
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image
Baalzamon
 
Posts: 4568
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:34 pm

You can also buy them from one of the bigger surf shops, quicksilver I think it is or maybe rip curl/city beach type of place but pretty sure it's quicksilver .
The remote looks great.
User avatar
wurtulla wabbit
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:08 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:15 pm

RonK wrote:Has anyone spotted a good price for the wifi bacpac and remote kit? The local price is ridiculous, and most sellers don't have stock anyway.


Daves Motors has it for $101.95 US delivered so under $100 Aus if you use hbf in the coupon code.

About $40 cheaper than egay. Saw one on there for $743 too :shock:
User avatar
Mugglechops
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:51 pm
Location: Shoalhaven

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:03 am

Mugglechops wrote:
RonK wrote:Has anyone spotted a good price for the wifi bacpac and remote kit? The local price is ridiculous, and most sellers don't have stock anyway.


Daves Motors has it for $101.95 US delivered so under $100 Aus if you use hbf in the coupon code.

About $40 cheaper than egay. Saw one on there for $743 too :shock:


So your using Standard Intl shipping, ewww 2-3 weeks yuck, start doing a group order and Express is same price as Standard :wink:
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image
Baalzamon
 
Posts: 4568
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:47 am

In the event of an accident I imagine that I would have a better than average chance of an independent witness having notice me at about the time so that would be a plus (if I was in the right). But I also suspect that, to someone not actually seeing it (cop or judge for example) they would also be more likely to assume that a unicyclist would be of such low ability to control that I would be deemed to have been the cause. Maybe a camera would be even more useful in sorting these things out than for others.

But as I do not wear a helmet and there is almost no-where to mount anything, that makes my options somewhat less. Still, maybe some father's day.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
 
Posts: 4649
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby GraemeL » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:01 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:In the event of an accident I imagine that I would have a better than average chance of an independent witness having notice me at about the time so that would be a plus (if I was in the right). But I also suspect that, to someone not actually seeing it (cop or judge for example) they would also be more likely to assume that a unicyclist would be of such low ability to control that I would be deemed to have been the cause. Maybe a camera would be even more useful in sorting these things out than for others.

But as I do not wear a helmet and there is almost no-where to mount anything, that makes my options somewhat less. Still, maybe some father's day.


If you use a GoPro, you could always use the chest mount. It gives a very good view. Post a pic of your ride Colin and I will see what options you could use.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL
 
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:47 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:06 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:
RonK wrote:Has anyone spotted a good price for the wifi bacpac and remote kit? The local price is ridiculous, and most sellers don't have stock anyway.


Daves Motors has it for $101.95 US delivered so under $100 Aus if you use hbf in the coupon code.

About $40 cheaper than egay. Saw one on there for $743 too :shock:


So your using Standard Intl shipping, ewww 2-3 weeks yuck, start doing a group order and Express is same price as Standard :wink:


I have always used standard shipping with Daves motors and at the most it takes 6 days.

Trust me I have spent way too much on parts for this :D

Image
User avatar
Mugglechops
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:51 pm
Location: Shoalhaven

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby trailgumby » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:16 pm

@ColinMasterOfTheUnicycle :D

GoPro Chesty mount would work really well for you.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10204
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:32 pm

Spot on, chest mount would be the first choice.
User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8917
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby mjd » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:50 am

Thinking of getting a camera to record some road bike races etc. Which camera offers placement on stem or bars to capture footage ? Contour or Go Pro seem to be the go but just looking at Go Pro seems chunky. Anyone tried the Bullet HD Pro camera ? Thanks in advance with any advice.
mjd
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:08 am

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Crawf » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:13 am

ozdavo wrote:I have one of these torch like wide angle cams on order. Will do a small review once I receive it, though there are a couple on YouTube.


Any review on this yet Davo?
Crawf
 
Posts: 1647
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby il padrone » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:26 am

Colin, Go Pro also have a helmet or head mount that you could use without wearing a helmet

Image


However I do agree the chest mount is probably a better, more secure arrangement.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18187
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Pushy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:59 pm

Crawf wrote:
ozdavo wrote:I have one of these torch like wide angle cams on order. Will do a small review once I receive it, though there are a couple on YouTube.


Any review on this yet Davo?

Here you go
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMkfRFkLo28&feature=plcp[/youtube]
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km
Pushy
 
Posts: 994
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:02 am
Location: Freo WA

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Marto » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:45 pm

Pushy wrote:
Crawf wrote:
ozdavo wrote:I have one of these torch like wide angle cams on order. Will do a small review once I receive it, though there are a couple on YouTube.


Any review on this yet Davo?

Here you go
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMkfRFkLo28&feature=plcp[/youtube]


There are also some specs and features of this cam online, such at a www.goodluckbuy.com, where it is available for $67.16:

Features:
- Not software Interpolation, True HD 1280*720/30fps High Resolution Video and Audio record.
- Water resistant: that means weather proof. For outdoor sports use, such as biking, horsing and hunting, it is very important! It can be used even in rain or snow.
- Duralumin shell with Acrylic lens: can work in high temperature, and safe for men. Even fall down, no hurt, as Acrylic has not sharp debris when broken.
- Clear sound record even in waterproof condition.
- Long working time: can work at least 2.5 hours, it is also important for fun.
- Can Work as HD720P PC Camera
- Cycling Record selectable, automatic overwrite from previous file when memory full
- Auto model selectable, record when engine starts, save then stop when engine stops. Total automatically, driving free!
- Can record while charge.
- Extendable up to 16G Micro SD card (not included)
- Hand-free, suitable for use in sports like cycling, riding, hunting, surfing, boating ,Can easily be mounted on helmet, bike, boat, gun, car black box, or anywhere else.


Not sure how it is safe for men, but you might want to look over your current camera to see how it might be unsafe for men.
Image
User avatar
Marto
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:08 am
Location: Brisbane

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Rockford



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter