Video Camera who uses one?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby waynohh » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:41 am

Unfortunately you can see it's already displaced my saddle bag, and my rear light is angled upwards as far as it can so i can get the camera in behind it. Sanding will be the only option.
waynohh
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:05 am

by BNA » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:58 pm

BNA
 

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby GraemeL » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:58 pm

waynohh wrote:Unfortunately you can see it's already displaced my saddle bag, and my rear light is angled upwards as far as it can so i can get the camera in behind it. Sanding will be the only option.


What about mounting it on the seat stay? I have mine mounted down low and find it is at the right height to easily get number plates. That way everything stays as was behind the seat.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL
 
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:47 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Pushy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:08 pm

GraemeL wrote:
waynohh wrote:Unfortunately you can see it's already displaced my saddle bag, and my rear light is angled upwards as far as it can so i can get the camera in behind it. Sanding will be the only option.


What about mounting it on the seat stay? I have mine mounted down low and find it is at the right height to easily get number plates. That way everything stays as was behind the seat.

Graeme


Use a 25mm poly pipe mount and you can mount it just about anywhere :wink:
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km
Pushy
 
Posts: 994
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:02 am
Location: Freo WA

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby waynohh » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:50 am

That's not in the same league as nate's mount. Plus, I have spare seat posts, I don't have a spare frame.
waynohh
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:05 am

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Nate » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:10 am

GraemeL wrote:What about mounting it on the seat stay? I have mine mounted down low and find it is at the right height to easily get number plates. That way everything stays as was behind the seat.
Graeme


The camera is too tall for that, it'd have to stick out a LOT to be able to get the angle correct - then you're introducing a heap of vibrations into it.
User avatar
Nate
 
Posts: 2798
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:49 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Marto » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:07 am

Nate wrote:
GraemeL wrote:What about mounting it on the seat stay? I have mine mounted down low and find it is at the right height to easily get number plates. That way everything stays as was behind the seat.
Graeme


The camera is too tall for that, it'd have to stick out a LOT to be able to get the angle correct - then you're introducing a heap of vibrations into it.


Could you free up space by putting your tail light horizontally or on a seat stay? Or even camera on top, tail light under?

It seems light a smaller footprint camera is more suitable for a rear camera, but if you get it right with an Otek, it is a nice deal at the price.

BTW, dont forget a 'lifeline' or safety line for the camera.
Image
User avatar
Marto
 
Posts: 1333
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:08 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:43 am

Hi

I got a chance to record a bit of "night time" well in this case pre-dawn vision for those interested in how the Contour HD1080P performs in these conditions. Just one thing to keep in mind is that the camera was set to daylight and not dusk. Not sure how much of a difference that would make but.



Andrew
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 21151
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby william » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Andrew,
What happened to the second part of the video? Was that deliberate?
Also where was it mounted? Seemed to be rocking side to side a lot.
Considering the settings it does a remarkable job. What is your overall view on the use of the camera?

william.
william
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:33 am
Location: Maribyrnong,Victoria

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby GraemeL » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:23 pm

Nate wrote:
GraemeL wrote:What about mounting it on the seat stay? I have mine mounted down low and find it is at the right height to easily get number plates. That way everything stays as was behind the seat.
Graeme


The camera is too tall for that, it'd have to stick out a LOT to be able to get the angle correct - then you're introducing a heap of vibrations into it.


What do you mean it is too tall? I would have thought the width may have been the problem. The GoPro that I use is 7cm W x 7.5cm L and mounted it sticks out but it is not in the way.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL
 
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:47 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby GraemeL » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:38 pm

Well I have the day off today and decided to attach the Ram Mount to the treadly and see how it went, compared to my DIY mount.

These mounts are for any camera that has a tripod mount.

I bought 2 Ram Mounts from Point of View Cameras http://pointofviewcameras.com/ram-handl ... t-kit.html they cost me $29.95 US each plus $31.38 shipping total $91.28.
The cost for my DIY parts were, $20.00 (Local camera shop) for the Giottos Mini Blallhead Mh1004, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Nt ... Search=yes aprox $5.00 for the L bracket, bolt, washer and hose clamp, total $25.00.

The Ram Mount is very solid and it doesn't take a lot of effort to lock it off nice and tight. I thought it was a little big at first for what I wanted to use it for, but once I mounted it to the bike, I realised how flexible it was and it was not really all that big after all. Another plus is that it can be extended, there are a lot of other add ons you can buy for it.

I had some reservations about the rubber balls, but at the moment It seems very solid even when trying to flex it with quite a bit of force, it stayed put. Only time will tell I guess as to how well it holds up.

My DIY model is very plain and simple, but it gets the job done and is cheaper. It is rock steady and I have tested it over a lot of different terrain. It can be mounted anywhere you can put a hose clamp and the ballhead adds some flexibility.

If you want something that looks the goods and don't mind spending a few dollars, then the Ram Mount is the way to go.
If you don't want to spend the dollars but want something that is rock solid, then the DYI is the way to go.

Here is a video to show them both...



Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL
 
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:47 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby GraemeL » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:45 pm

I decided to take a quick ride and test out the Ram Mount and compare it to my DIY mount.
I know the areas are not the same but The sections on the footpath is really quite bumpy, while the road is a little smoother. It's enough to give you an idea of what each is like.
There really isn't a lot of difference between them, it just depends on what you want.



Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL
 
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:47 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:58 pm

WOOHOO!!

We have become a family of GoPro HDs (one for me and one for him). Our plan was bikes, kayaks (white water should look cool), and 4WDing. We are currently planning a day paddle down south just before easter, but there was a problem with videoing the whole day...until today :)

Just received the new GoPro Battery BacPac. These come with a waterproof housing and a skeleton one. Not yet tested but the BacPac battery is used first, then the camera battery. Very happy with having two batteries on board.

Also, very happy with the service I got from Launch Helmet Cams ( http://www.launchhelmetcams.com.au ). Got the camera kits on special - they were cheaper than wiggle - and the bacpacs were put on backorder. They have free express post delivery over $99.

Happy day :)
moosterbounce
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2587
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 8:06 pm
Location: Rivervale WA

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:08 am

william wrote:Andrew,
What happened to the second part of the video? Was that deliberate?

Yes, slo mo to show that it is not recording clearly number plates.

Also where was it mounted? Seemed to be rocking side to side a lot.

Handlebars.

Considering the settings it does a remarkable job. What is your overall view on the use of the camera?


I am happy with it but would probably try a Go Pro for the rear just because of the greater mounting options and would go a Go Pro if I was buying a front camera for bike mount because of the extended battery pack option now available. If I wanted helmet mounted camera I would stick with a Contour.

I have a bit of a review of it posted here. Needs updating but.

Andrew
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 21151
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby GraemeL » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:31 am

moosterbounce wrote:WOOHOO!!

We have become a family of GoPro HDs (one for me and one for him). Our plan was bikes, kayaks (white water should look cool), and 4WDing. We are currently planning a day paddle down south just before easter, but there was a problem with videoing the whole day...until today :)

Just received the new GoPro Battery BacPac. These come with a waterproof housing and a skeleton one. Not yet tested but the BacPac battery is used first, then the camera battery. Very happy with having two batteries on board.

Also, very happy with the service I got from Launch Helmet Cams ( http://www.launchhelmetcams.com.au ). Got the camera kits on special - they were cheaper than wiggle - and the bacpacs were put on backorder. They have free express post delivery over $99.

Happy day :)


+1 for Launch Helmet Cams.
I have been waiting for the battery bacpac, throw in a 32gig card and your set for approx 5 hours.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL
 
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:47 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby GraemeL » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:54 pm

Here is another novel use for the GoPro Camera :mrgreen:

Video: Bum-cam on UK streets. We fitted a tiny lens into 24-year-old model Natasha Yexley's jeans and let her loose in London.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/fe ... s-out.html

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL
 
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:47 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:17 am

Hi

According to BikeRumor.com Apple has finally approved the app and hardware to use your iPhone and iPod Touch as a live viewfinder for Contour’s HD GPS action sports camera. Video at http://contour.com/stories/contour-connect-view .

Andrew
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 21151
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby gururug » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:23 am

impressive..... sd slot -> bluetooth?

wonder of it's an open standard / supported on other phones / portable devices
User avatar
gururug
 
Posts: 1528
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:05 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Nate » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:41 am

GraemeL wrote:Video: Bum-cam on UK streets. We fitted a tiny lens into 24-year-old model Natasha Yexley's jeans and let her loose in London.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/fe ... s-out.html
Graeme


a model - i.e. gets paid for people to look at her?
Those people "caught" are just smart consumers! They're not watching ads to get a look... ;)
User avatar
Nate
 
Posts: 2798
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:49 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:48 am

gururug wrote:impressive..... sd slot -> bluetooth?

wonder of it's an open standard / supported on other phones / portable devices


Contour are working on getting an Android version up and running next. Who knows what after that. The camera will work natively with other supported phone OS when the firmware is updated without need for the Contour Connect Card that is required for the iphone.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image
Baalzamon
 
Posts: 4892
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby GraemeL » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:46 am

With a Contour mounted on the back, I wonder if you could use the phone as a rear view mirror?

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL
 
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:47 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:01 pm

GraemeL wrote:With a Contour mounted on the back, I wonder if you could use the phone as a rear view mirror?

Graeme


Using Contour GPS yes you can
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image
Baalzamon
 
Posts: 4892
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby GraemeL » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:27 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
GraemeL wrote:With a Contour mounted on the back, I wonder if you could use the phone as a rear view mirror?

Graeme


Using Contour GPS yes you can


Do you have any info on it?

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL
 
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:47 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:48 pm

You need a Contour ConnectView accessory card. There is a big thread over about it on contour as it has drawn a lot of attention and support from consumers wanting it when they realized it had bluetooth functionality. Once you have the card, you need the app for it. I've yet to get the card, but I do have the app as it is a free download.

A bit more detail can be found here on how it is used here
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image
Baalzamon
 
Posts: 4892
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby trailgumby » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:03 pm

Looks like one of these with bluetooth is coming my way shortly to review for BNA, courtesy of the efforts of the awesome Christopher Jones.

Will definitely get a workout commuting, and at the Mont 24 hour mtb race.

Read all about it here, soon, on BNA. :P
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10735
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby waynohh » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:04 pm

Yep, one more must have accessory you have to buy separately plus shipping. Great business model for them, sucks for the end user.
waynohh
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:05 am

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rustguard



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Torpedo 7 Cycling Express
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter
“Bicycles BNA on Strava