Video Camera who uses one?

oxonabike

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby oxonabike » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:40 pm

Sven Nijs wrote:That looks like a cracking little unit. Small and with good quality.
Going by your comments, the only downside might be the mounting options?
Yes there is a good mount that is no good for a bike, but I see that there are some clamp mounts now available for the unit, and a chest mount coming soon. The little mount you get with it is quite versatile but comes with a flat base designed for adhesive mounting on a flat surface or threading some strapping through it. The camera itself mounts to a standard tripod thread, which has an indexing swivel connecting to the base. I'm making a small bracket that will bolt to the fork brace to permanently mount the camera. Will include a photo of the finished item later.

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:14 pm

And just to finish this off, I finally got a very quick 1080p test done with the EGO after finally finishing a camera mount that I was happy with. To be honest, there doesn't seem to be too much difference in the resolutions, especially once Youtube finishes crunching them. The main difference is when you feed the vids into a decent player and let them run at their maximum screen resolution on computer or TV. I'll get a chance to properly test the unit out on the commute tomorrow in the early morning light.

Had a question asked about how the mic goes when the protective face plate is on the camera, as this items covers the mic hole. The query was raised in relation to calling out a car number plate for evidence. Answer is no good, but if you needed to 'talk to the camera' it would be easy to reach down and snatch the cover off if you still had your wits about you. Most of the sound you hear I think is transmitted through the bike frame. For this test, the camera sensitivity was set to high, and was particularly annoying during brake applications (as you will hear if you play the vid)

Here's the vid, and some pics of the camera in its temporary permanent spot on the bike (pending chest mount).

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:11 am

Thanks oxonabike. These are looking interesting. I see they do a water-proof case and going by what is listed at The Bicycle Store there are a few mounting options on the way.

Battery life. How are you find this? Can the battery be replaced on the road, i.e., carry a spare battery?

Andrew

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:08 am

Aushiker wrote:Thanks oxonabike. These are looking interesting. I see they do a water-proof case and going by what is listed at The Bicycle Store there are a few mounting options on the way.

Battery life. How are you find this? Can the battery be replaced on the road, i.e., carry a spare battery?

Andrew
Battery life is quoted at 1.5 - 2 hours. The battery is internal and cannot be changed out on a ride. Probably gives the Gopro an edge right there. The waterproof case is for scuba diving and other immersion (white water rafting etc). The unit is apparently whether proof as is - Just wondering if I'll put that to the test during one of our tropical downpours.

Got some pretty nice footage of this mornings commute, so I'll make a little compilation and post it at some stage.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:05 am

oxonabike wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Battery life is quoted at 1.5 - 2 hours.
Techmoan is reporting a bit over 2 hours in his second video of the unit. Sounds promising and I might seriously consider it as I think my Jumbo HB808 #11 is slowing dying.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7d-mkMbkdg&hd=1[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R81GgP03r-g&hd=1[/youtube]

Andrew

ray

Postby ray » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:12 am

oxonabike wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Thanks oxonabike. These are looking interesting. I see they do a water-proof case and going by what is listed at The Bicycle Store there are a few mounting options on the way.

Andrew
Battery life is quoted at 1.5 - 2 hours. The battery is internal and cannot be changed out on a ride. Probably gives the Gopro an edge right there. The waterproof case is for scuba diving and other immersion (white water rafting etc). The unit is apparently whether proof as is - Just wondering if I'll put that to the test during one of our tropical downpours.

Got some pretty nice footage of this mornings commute, so I'll make a little compilation and post it at some stage.
There is suppose to be an extended battery available soon. No ETA mentioned. I guess (as I haven't seen a picture of it) you will need to keep the rubber cover open to connect the battery so will likely let water in during heavy rain. The additional mounts should be availabe shortly (based on the response to my query on their facebook page). I got some RAM mounts for the rear but find them very sturdy but bulky. I haven't tried them yet - I think I will wait for the Liquid Image ones.

wizardhat

Postby wizardhat » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:30 pm

Something weird is happening with my GoPro Hero2. I'll start it recording then pop it on my bike and double check that it's recording, but then when I get to the end of my trip the camera is off, has forgotten my settings, and has no video footage?! Has anyone experienced this?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:21 pm

Give it a reboot to the factory settings and see if it continues to do it.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:10 pm

wizardhat wrote:Something weird is happening with my GoPro Hero2. I'll start it recording then pop it on my bike and double check that it's recording, but then when I get to the end of my trip the camera is off, has forgotten my settings, and has no video footage?! Has anyone experienced this?
Some more info would help, have you done or changed anything, like the battery memory or firmware update?

Things I can suggest are,

Change the memory card, it may be that the card is faulty, if you can't use another card try formatting the old one and make sure it is formatted correctly and has the right amount of space after formatting, you should also check the card for errors.

For tips on how to do the above and what programs to use, take a look at Bicycle Camera FAQ's link in my sig, then scroll down to memory.

Change the battery and see if it stays on. Is the battery fully charged, is it holding its charge? It may be that the battery is not sitting against the contacts and jars loose? I have a battery that is slightly swollen and the cover doesn't quite shut properly but the case still fits.

Let us know how you get on.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:32 am

What software are people here using to edit, enhance and render their footage? I've just started trialling Adobe After Effects CS6 - such a steep learning curve!

Downloading the trial of Adobe Premier tonight, hoping that might be easier to use for basic chopping and editing.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:49 am

elStado wrote:What software are people here using to edit, enhance and render their footage? I've just started trialling Adobe After Effects CS6 - such a steep learning curve!
iMovie

Andrew

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:13 am

Adobe Premiere Pro 5 here.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:36 am

Dashware here
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

herzog

Postby herzog » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:43 am

iMovie

wizardhat

Postby wizardhat » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:43 am

The only thing I did recently was update to the latest firmware. It seems to have stopped doing it without any intervention on my part.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:22 am

elStado wrote:What software are people here using to edit, enhance and render their footage? I've just started trialling Adobe After Effects CS6 - such a steep learning curve!

Downloading the trial of Adobe Premier tonight, hoping that might be easier to use for basic chopping and editing.
I use TMPGEnc Video Mastering Work 5.

I have listed some editing programs and tutorials on how to use them in the Bicycle Camera FAQ's, the link is in my sig and scroll down to Editing.

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:28 am

wizardhat wrote:The only thing I did recently was update to the latest firmware. It seems to have stopped doing it without any intervention on my part.
So you are saying it is working ok again? Even if it is, I would still be looking at the card, and maybe check it for errors and format it.

Graeme

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:31 pm

After Effects is not really an editing program - in the Adobe world, Premier is the way to go.
However for a professional editing solution, Final Cut Pro is hard to go past as it is relatively cheap (not thousands, merely hundreds of dollars).
There is a learning curve - but with that comes better video/results. iMovie is extremely frustrating when you want to do exact edits or syncronisation.
Cycling is in my BNA

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:42 pm

Kdenlive (linux), nice and free!

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:14 am

AUbicycles wrote:After Effects is not really an editing program - in the Adobe world, Premier is the way to go.
Yup. Just started using Premier Pro tonight. It's definitely much easier for standard editing, chopping and exporting etc. So many options and settings though! Mind has been blown.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

csy75

Postby csy75 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:15 pm

when someone has the gopro 3, please post some feedback.

I might retire the go pro 2 to my rear camera and use 3 for the front.

it is annoying how they use micro sd versus 2 using normal SD car....maybe i should buy a cheaper gopro 2 version when 3 comes out?

wizardhat

Postby wizardhat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:02 pm

GraemeL wrote:
wizardhat wrote:The only thing I did recently was update to the latest firmware. It seems to have stopped doing it without any intervention on my part.
So you are saying it is working ok again? Even if it is, I would still be looking at the card, and maybe check it for errors and format it.

Graeme
Yeah it's all okay again. I'll check the card tonight and give it a format all the same, thanks for the advice.

LM324

Postby LM324 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:48 am

Has anyone got the Sony action cam yet?
I have been looking at reviews/comparisons on YouTube. It seems like the video quality is slightly better than the gopro hero 2 but sometimes the colours are over saturated, the sky looks really blue and fake.
The steady shot image stabilisation looks really good as well.
There seems to be a lack of mounts though.
And the video footage seems a bit blurry, is this because it's on YouTube?
Thinking about getting it, I have enough points in the frequent flyer(mileageplus) to get the one without wifi.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:28 pm

I am working on getting a review of the sony action cam for bicycles.net.au , I was aiming for before they arrived in the shops though without any success yet. Will keep you posted and if it does eventuate will aim to get some footage up quickly.
Cycling is in my BNA

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:10 pm

Graeme if you get a chance the opening post with reference to the Jumbo HD 808 #11 needs updating. It does not appear to be available anymore, now replaced by the #16 and the links are dead.

Thanks
Andrew