Video Camera who uses one?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby eldavo » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:08 am

outnabike wrote:
eldavo wrote:I've just been testing mine on DIY bar mount using standard camera threaded fitting it has in base.
The kogan sunglasses tick all boxes for convenience and worth it to try helmet cam sway me towards the Roam2 mounted on bike, and leanest possible for helmet.


Hi eldavo,
I reckon on specs they are pretty much rubbish, and I have seen many complain of having to hold the head up too high on road bikes. An upright flat bar may have a different position though.
Beware though, not to mention the bike, or you may get the hipster on the bso treatment. :D


That was the Roam2 on bar mount tested. I don't have any drop bar bikes so the sunnies not an issue there. As for the specs, it's more a nerd toy and dip toe in water of video on bike for $29 already done it's job for me. Beware while they don't make you a dirty voyeuristic pervert (as guns don't make people killers) it does chip at the civilised decorum that suppresses the dirty old man beneath the surface =D

I didn't have either recording with first incident of year at low speed side bump to stationary into a guy who turned in front of me after slowing and I rang bell to pass, he didn't hear/notice/look before turning off the path to take an unmarked shortcut down side of a grassy hill. Nothing exciting, he was wearing sunglasses pre-sunrise, maybe he was testing the same kogan sunnies =P

The sunnies crashed for first time this morning after 10min and wouldn't turn off, I found the reset button and tested them through the day, confirmed charged and worked all OK this evening home.
eldavo
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

by BNA » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:24 pm

BNA
 

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby takai » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:24 pm

Anyone tried using one of these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190738115807 ... 189wt_1141 ?

I have one coming for the car, but noticed it has an internal battery too which could be useful.
takai
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:06 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Summernight » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:32 pm

Got a lovely present in the mail today - a replacement GoPro Hero3!!! Not my old one so presumably the previous one had their faulty whatever and needed replacing. Now to instal all the stuff and use it again. Very excited!
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1695
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby bychosis » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:32 pm

takai wrote:Anyone tried using one of these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190738115807 ... 189wt_1141 ?

I have one coming for the car, but noticed it has an internal battery too which could be useful.

$9 plus postage? Let us know how it goes, sounds like you are only paying for a box.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
User avatar
bychosis
 
Posts: 2368
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:42 pm

Summernight wrote:Got a lovely present in the mail today - a replacement GoPro Hero3!!! Not my old one so presumably the previous one had their faulty whatever and needed replacing. Now to instal all the stuff and use it again. Very excited!


That was a pretty quick turn around too wasn't it?

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20279
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Summernight » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:03 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Summernight wrote:Got a lovely present in the mail today - a replacement GoPro Hero3!!! Not my old one so presumably the previous one had their faulty whatever and needed replacing. Now to install all the stuff and use it again. Very excited!


That was a pretty quick turn around too wasn't it?

Andrew


Hmm.. Sent on the 8th of February by Registered International Post. Received by GoPro somewhere around 11th-12th February (as the delivery driver didn't check the button to say it had been received. :| ). GoPro said 10-15 days from receipt to check and confirm whether they'd replace or fix under warranty. Then they sent it back. So about right, IMO. Just under a month.
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1695
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby darkelf921 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:37 pm

Summernight wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
Summernight wrote:Got a lovely present in the mail today - a replacement GoPro Hero3!!! Not my old one so presumably the previous one had their faulty whatever and needed replacing. Now to install all the stuff and use it again. Very excited!


That was a pretty quick turn around too wasn't it?

Andrew


Hmm.. Sent on the 8th of February by Registered International Post. Received by GoPro somewhere around 11th-12th February (as the delivery driver didn't check the button to say it had been received. :| ). GoPro said 10-15 days from receipt to check and confirm whether they'd replace or fix under warranty. Then they sent it back. So about right, IMO. Just under a month.


Hmmm. I sent mine before you and they still haven't received it. It sounds like I have a problem.
Image
My YouTube channel http://goo.gl/UlJrkN
User avatar
darkelf921
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:03 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:35 pm

darkelf921 wrote:
Summernight wrote:Hmm.. Sent on the 8th of February by Registered International Post. Received by GoPro somewhere around 11th-12th February (as the delivery driver didn't check the button to say it had been received. :| ). GoPro said 10-15 days from receipt to check and confirm whether they'd replace or fix under warranty. Then they sent it back. So about right, IMO. Just under a month.


Hmmm. I sent mine before you and they still haven't received it. It sounds like I have a problem.


Sent by Registered International Post? Or by normal post? If Registered Post, Australia Post can track it (even if you can't) and they would definitely have told you to lodge a complaint by now as they told me I should (and I emailed GoPro to check they'd received it before I took it further - which is when GoPro told me they'd received it).

I'm assuming you've emailed GoPro and they've told you they hadn't received it? I didn't get a confirmation email of receipt - I had to chase it up.
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1695
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby eldavo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:03 pm

I've had success conveniently piggy-backing the Roam2 on my favoured Cygolite Expilion quick release mount that can swivel left and right about 45° range. Office celotape has been doing the job holding my mp3 cap to speaker prior to silicon strap mount from old Fiber Flares. I could also use those straps to fasten these two together, but the celotape is safer. Safety lanyard used in case of Roam2 separation from the light.

Video is smooth, riding the limo with 3" tyres and dual suspension I expect it to get worse on the rigid narrower tyre bikes in queue for a ride.

Image
eldavo
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby rabobank89 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:04 pm

eldavo wrote:I've had success conveniently piggy-backing the Roam2 on my favoured Cygolite Expilion quick release mount that can swivel left and right about 45° range. Office celotape has been doing the job holding my mp3 cap to speaker prior to silicon strap mount from old Fiber Flares. I could also use those straps to fasten these two together, but the celotape is safer. Safety lanyard used in case of Roam2 separation from the light.

Video is smooth, riding the limo with 3" tyres and dual suspension I expect it to get worse on the rigid narrower tyre bikes in queue for a ride.

Image


That Contour mount looks awesome :lol:
User avatar
rabobank89
 
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:20 am
Location: Perth

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby find_bruce » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:08 pm

Anyone else having issues with sun flare with their GoPro ? I know it is just the combination of the season & the time I am commuting but it is seriousy affecting the quality of images at the moment - I am in two minds whether to file a report of one incident simply because of the poor qualifty of the video.

Any suggestions for improving ?
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 3861
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:11 pm

Do you have an example of your sun flare issues?

I had some issues with sun flare but I think they were exacerbated by the smudgy fingerprints I'd put on the housing. Most of my commute is between buildings.
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1695
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby eldavo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:30 pm

rabobank89 wrote:That Contour mount looks awesome :lol:

Not denying my roots
http://wasalvage.net/photogallery.php

Image
eldavo
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Pushy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:44 pm

eldavo wrote:
rabobank89 wrote:That Contour mount looks awesome :lol:

Not denying my roots
http://wasalvage.net/photogallery.php

Image


Eldavo=Luigi? :? :wink:
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km
Pushy
 
Posts: 994
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:02 am
Location: Freo WA

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby darkelf921 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:19 am

Summernight wrote:
darkelf921 wrote:
Summernight wrote:Hmm.. Sent on the 8th of February by Registered International Post. Received by GoPro somewhere around 11th-12th February (as the delivery driver didn't check the button to say it had been received. :| ). GoPro said 10-15 days from receipt to check and confirm whether they'd replace or fix under warranty. Then they sent it back. So about right, IMO. Just under a month.


Hmmm. I sent mine before you and they still haven't received it. It sounds like I have a problem.


Sent by Registered International Post? Or by normal post? If Registered Post, Australia Post can track it (even if you can't) and they would definitely have told you to lodge a complaint by now as they told me I should (and I emailed GoPro to check they'd received it before I took it further - which is when GoPro told me they'd received it).

I'm assuming you've emailed GoPro and they've told you they hadn't received it? I didn't get a confirmation email of receipt - I had to chase it up.


After the 8th email, it was discovered I had accidentally used my PO Box as the return address. The replacement camera has been sitting in America the whole time as they cannot ship to a PO Box. Someone finally discovered this and asked me for my residential address. It only took 5 weeks and 8 emails. I still don't have the camera though.
Image
My YouTube channel http://goo.gl/UlJrkN
User avatar
darkelf921
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:03 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:21 am

For those interested there is a review of the JVC Adixxion HD POV over at MTBR.

Image

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20279
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Summernight » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:24 am

darkelf921 wrote:After the 8th email, it was discovered I had accidentally used my PO Box as the return address. The replacement camera has been sitting in America the whole time as they cannot ship to a PO Box. Someone finally discovered this and asked me for my residential address. It only took 5 weeks and 8 emails. I still don't have the camera though.


Ouchies, but I'm glad your old camera and/or the replacement camera weren't lost in transit (which was my huge fear) and I hope you now get the camera quickly.
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1695
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:39 am

Not sure how useful this is would be cyclists where we wear helmets but it is still interesting innovation.

Image

Image

Details of the Lobster-X wearable camera can be found at BikeRumor.com.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20279
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby JBark » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:50 am

eldavo wrote:I've had success conveniently piggy-backing the Roam2 on my favoured Cygolite Expilion quick release mount that can swivel left and right about 45° range. Office celotape has been doing the job holding my mp3 cap to speaker prior to silicon strap mount from old Fiber Flares. I could also use those straps to fasten these two together, but the celotape is safer. Safety lanyard used in case of Roam2 separation from the light.

Video is smooth, riding the limo with 3" tyres and dual suspension I expect it to get worse on the rigid narrower tyre bikes in queue for a ride.

Image


Bloody genius, why didn't I think of this?? The handlebar mount on my cheap DX camera broke a while back, and I've been looking for a way to mount it back up. I just picked up an Expilion 350 last week, and never even considered just attaching them together.

Problem solved!
Image
JBark
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:42 pm
Location: Bertram, WA

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby eldavo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:14 pm

I like your style. "Pelican Case" level rugged upgrade with packing strap reinforcement =D
As a user of the same Expilion 350, mine clicks on securely/easily, and looks like you've tightened the waist line of the rear mount to avoid the snag when removing it if you don't hold the tape in when releasing. Awesome, 10 rubber chickens from Hex on Good Game.

PS: I may have to one-up on MacGuyver scale with a cable tie to tuck the rear waistline.
eldavo
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby JBark » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:07 pm

eldavo wrote:I like your style. "Pelican Case" level rugged upgrade with packing strap reinforcement =D
As a user of the same Expilion 350, mine clicks on securely/easily, and looks like you've tightened the waist line of the rear mount to avoid the snag when removing it if you don't hold the tape in when releasing. Awesome, 10 rubber chickens from Hex on Good Game.

PS: I may have to one-up on MacGuyver scale with a cable tie to tuck the rear waistline.


Haha, you nailed exactly why I put that extra strip on, I noticed it catching on the mount. And yeah, that thin strip of tape is already falling off so is getting replaced with a cable tie. My problem is finding a very thin cable tie that is also long enough to reach. The ones I've dug up at work are just a cm or so too short.
JBark
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:42 pm
Location: Bertram, WA

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:44 pm

MTBR Review have a fairly in-depth review of the GoPro Hero3. One thing that caught my attention was their mention of the "The Frame" mount. Has anyone played with one of these? I was thinking it might make helmet mounting a better option, at least in the summer with on the road riding.

Image

Image

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20279
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:54 pm

Andrew, you're better off using the skeleton rear hatch. At least the case then gives your cam some protection from water, and impacts should it ever come off.

Only time I;d use this mount is inside my car, where I'd be looking to power the cam off a USB cord fitted to my fag lighter.
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10365
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Boognoss » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:18 am

trailgumby wrote:Andrew, you're better off using the skeleton rear hatch. At least the case then gives your cam some protection from water, and impacts should it ever come off.

Only time I;d use this mount is inside my car, where I'd be looking to power the cam off a USB cord fitted to my fag lighter.


+1

The Frame is for indoor and car use in my case. I haven't used the skeleton rear door because I'm too paranoid when I'm riding. If there's a hint of rain around it'll follow me :-). I use the waterproof doors all the time when using the Gopros on the bike.


Sent from my iSomethingorother using Tapatalk HD
2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Image
User avatar
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5852
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Castle Hill, NSW

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby KonaCommuter » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:53 am

In what passes for a Newspaper in Queensland there's an advertisement, I mean, an article, espousing the virtues of dash cams. Of course the sales pitch is that it's there to catch the other driver doing the wrong thing but I can't but help that these camera's are going to catch out some of our MM.



http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/technology/clever-collision-capturing-camera/story-fn5kfsdd-1226591343186

Meet the clever collision-capturing camera
by:Rod Chester From: National Features March 06, 2013 9:03am


EVERY driver has a story of a near accident or, even worse, the time another car came from nowhere and a collision was unavoidable.

Increasingly, drivers are taking the effort to shoot video to match their script. The idea of wiring up your car with a video camera as a "just in case" move can seem a little daunting.

That's why devices such as Navman's MiVue 358, with a 2.4-inch LCD screen, are appealing. You plug it into your car's power supply and attach it to your windscreen with a suction cupped-back clip.

The camera has a 120-degree lens, which, if you attach it near your rear-vision mirror as directed, means it will record pretty much what you see as you're driving along.

One thing to remember is that, by default, it also records sound of the passengers in the vehicle, so it's worth pointing out to other drivers of your vehicle that their words and actions are on candid camera.

The camera has a 3-axis G-shock sensor, that will automatically turn on the video recorder if you have a sudden impact or overturn your car. For obvious reasons, we simulated the scenario by putting the G-shock sensitivity to high and giving it a good shake to start the record.

The camera may not see it but the G-shock sensor calculates the point of collision.

Unclip it from the holder and it also serves as a 5-megapixel camera to take pictures of an accident scene.

The video can record at full 1080p HD. There is a mini HD port so, with your own cable, you can connect it to your TV and watch the highlights of your daily commute.

If you ever have to prove your version of events of an incident on the roads, remember the old adage: the camera doesn't lie.

--

MIVUE 358 Navman, $199

http://www.navman.com.au

Image

2012 Oppy A4
User avatar
KonaCommuter
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: Brisbane Northside

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blkmcs, CKinnard, Classikbike, Dragster1, holywater, Ken Ho, Summernight



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit