Video Camera who uses one?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby GraemeL » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:22 pm

Aushiker wrote:
I am not bothered by 720 x 60 fps or the expansion slot and as I want it for a rear camera I think features for the price make it work. Whatever I use has to be suitable for winter.

I need to wait until I have finished the commuter's set-up to see if a seat post mounted camera will be feasible but.

Andrew

If it doesn't fit on the seat post, you could always put it on the frame down near the axle using one of their 3M Stick on quick release plates.
Or if you have a rear rack you could put it there, I have done that to mine. You can see the resulting video in my opening post. here is a photo of how mine is attached the rear of the bike...

***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL

by BNA » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:11 pm

BNA

Postby norbs » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:11 pm

Thanks for the tip on Dashware Graeme. Works great. Just have to work out how to use it a bit better now.

I have now changed the power meter to cadence.
norbs

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:20 pm

GraemeL wrote:Or if you have a rear rack you could put it there, I have done that to mine. You can see the resulting video in my opening post. here is a photo of how mine is attached the rear of the bike...

Hi

Graeme

An interesting approach ... how have you found it down low ... that scares me a bit in terms of exposure to possible damage.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby GraemeL » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:55 pm

norbs wrote:Thanks for the tip on Dashware Graeme. Works great. Just have to work out how to use it a bit better now.

I have now changed the power meter to cadence.

Your welcome :) it's nice having the details there in front of you.

Aushiker wrote:Hi

Graeme

An interesting approach ... how have you found it down low ... that scares me a bit in terms of exposure to possible damage.

Andrew

It works well, when I first put it there I was worried I would always knock it on things or my legs, but i haven't hit it once yet. I like the low angle, it's just the right height to get rego numbers nice and clearly.

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby kipper » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:01 pm

Has any body experienced the Muvi cameras?
kipper

Postby GraemeL » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:51 pm

For those that are interested, I have put together a couple of clips.

The first part has the GoPro down low again but facing forward, for something a little different. I have included a bit of rough gravel so you can see how it handles a little bit of rough ground as well as the road.
The second part is with the GoPro mounted on my helmet, I prefer the GoPro mounted to either the H/bar or down low facing the rear. I think it's a lot smoother.
Take note of the noise difference between the two mounting positions.

GraemeL

Postby SmellyTofu » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:24 am

Have you guys editted the video much? I presume contrast and a very light touch of saturation. This is mine albeit not bicycle related but attached to the 4WD when I went on the dirt track. Speed was about 35-40km/h

1080 HD available after clicking
SmellyTofu

Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby GraemeL » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:33 am

SmellyTofu wrote:Have you guys editted the video much? I presume contrast and a very light touch of saturation. This is mine albeit not bicycle related but attached to the 4WD when I went on the dirt track. Speed was about 35-40km/h

No adjustments have been made, I have only trimmed the video or added another clip.

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:41 pm

After talking about mounting options it got me thinking and tinkering. I have come up with two DIY mounting options for your camera.
I haven't had a chance to test them out yet, hopefully in the morning.
I have one mounted to the seat post and the other on the handle bar, anyway here is a short video of them...

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby Aushiker » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:26 pm

Hi

Found another option for a rear camera. I assume this is the same one that Nate raves about here. $250 ex Nate or $200 ex USA so not much in and probably better to buy locally, however the GoPro Hero still comes in at a good price with a good reputation, but of couse at a lower resolution. Decisions decisions.

BTW Nate can your one be mounted on a rear stray okay? I am not sure I will have much spare seat-post as I plan to use a Carradice of Nelson Barley saddle bag.

Anyone else played with one?

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:00 pm

Hi

Still in development, but a iPhone 4 mount including helment is on the cards.

http://lp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb6174513/p4pb6174513.jpg

Further details including video shot with an iPhone 4 at BikeRumor.com.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby GraemeL » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:16 pm

Well I had time to test out the new mounts today. They didn't work very well , so I had to make some adjustments.

Handle Bar Mount
I had a piece of rubber under the handle bar mount, this allowed the camera to bounce a little and I also had the L Bracket too long, this also allowed for some bounce.

Modification
Removed the rubber and just had a small flat piece of metal between the hose clamp and ballhead.

Rear Mount
The rear mount had to much bounce also, this was caused because flash shoe had to much play in it.

Modification
Removed the flash shoe and just used a small L bracket and hose clamp with the ballhead.

Here is a video, this shows my DIY Mounts against the GoPro Mounts

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:26 pm

This one may fit the bill when it's released

http://www.cerevellum.com/hindsight.php

# 3.5" Transflective LCD
# Up to 13 hours of continuous use on Lithium-ion battery
# LED tail-light and head-light
# Lightweight design
# Fits 26.0mm and 31.8mm handlebars
# Camera fits aero seat posts as well as 27.2mm and 31.6mm diameters

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby Nate » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:43 am

Aushiker wrote:Hi
I assume this is the same one that Nate raves about here. $250 ex Nate or $200 ex USA so not much in and probably better to buy locally, however the GoPro Hero still comes in at a good price with a good reputation, but of couse at a lower resolution. Decisions decisions.

BTW Nate can your one be mounted on a rear stray okay? I am not sure I will have much spare seat-post as I plan to use a Carradice of Nelson Barley saddle bag.
Andrew

yeah thats it...
Its down to about $150US i think... add about $20-30 shipping

could do it on the seatpost, dont have anything for a seat stay - too thin & too many different sizes
Nate

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:50 am

GraemeL wrote:This one may fit the bill when it's released

http://www.cerevellum.com/hindsight.php

# 3.5" Transflective LCD
# Up to 13 hours of continuous use on Lithium-ion battery
# LED tail-light and head-light
# Lightweight design
# Fits 26.0mm and 31.8mm handlebars
# Camera fits aero seat posts as well as 27.2mm and 31.6mm diameters

Graeme

Really is a shame they haven't included a rack mount with this and extra cable length to reach the rear rack. That camera will be blocked by my Carradice Nelson saddle bag.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby GraemeL » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:19 pm

It may be in the final release, when people start requesting different things? Or we may be able to make our own.

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby John Lewis » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:26 pm

This may be of interest.

GoPro helmet mount.
http://imageevent.com/aero92/bikecam

Vid using mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOptLoAqRQM

From this thread on BROL

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageb ... hp?t=68246

John
John Lewis

Postby GraemeL » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:54 am

John Lewis wrote:This may be of interest.

GoPro helmet mount.
http://imageevent.com/aero92/bikecam

Vid using mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOptLoAqRQM

From this thread on BROL

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageb ... hp?t=68246

John

While I just use the GoPro helmet mount, this looks interesting. But i can't seem to find any details on how it was made.

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby norbs » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:14 am

It looks like it drops the camera pretty low on the front of the helmet?

If thats the case, I wouldn't want it there. If you come off you could end up with a camera in the face. Up top out of the way is the go for me. :)
norbs

Postby Marto » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:23 pm

Nate wrote:FYI - joining front & rear footage with split screen:
its poorly aligned but should look pretty cool if you had 2 cameras, 1 front 1 rear

Here is an example of a split screen video (following Nate’s instructions) with a front and rear mounted camera. The front camera is an Otek DVS126 on a Rigidmount handlebar mount, and the rear is a ‘$10’ key camera (808 #3) with a rubber band mount (as mentioned elsewhere in this forum) on top of a Cateye TL-LD1000 rear light. The Cateye TL-LD1000 is large enough to be a platform for a key camera. I added foam padding to the top of the rear light. This light/camera combo is easily removed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vESluJydFg4

This is a busy enough sequence with 2 cars wanting to reverse, people crossing the road, and the car in front nervously looking for a park. I normally take a quieter street, but it is flood damaged. I better look for another alternative.

I found instructions for weatherproofing the $10 key cameras by placing them inside a Tic Tac container (the smaller 27gram size). I'm testing this presently. I replaced the base of a Tic Tac container with clear flat plastic, but found this had imperfections which affected picture quality. Something like the clear plastic from a CD/DVD case might be better. Google: key cam ‘Tic Tac’ for instructions and photos.

Marto
Last edited by Marto on Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:25 am, edited 8 times in total.
Marto

Postby Nate » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:35 pm

Marto wrote:Here is an example of a split screen video (following Nate’s instructions) with a front and rear mounted camera.
I found instructions for weatherproofing the $10 key cameras by placing them inside a Tic Tac container (the smaller 27gram size). I'm testing this presently. I replaced the base of a Tic Tac container with clear flat plastic, but found this had imperfections which affected picture quality.Marto

Ripper - glad my info is helping people!

For the case - you MUST use glass or optical quality materials. There is NO exception to this. I've done a heap of mounts on cars - helllo Mr Stone Chips.
You can fiddle around with glass which is the best & most scratch resistant or
- head to your local Servo
- grab a $5 pair of sunnies (plastic lens)
- pop them out
- use some araldite/silicone & sort it out in 5min
great optics and less glare!
Nate

Postby GraemeL » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:28 pm

The split video looks great :) Hopefully It won't be long before i have a rear camera.

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby Marto » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:48 am

Thanks for the sunnies tip Nate - Now if you see a cyclist with strong mintie breath and one lens cut out of their sunnies, don't run a red light or have a road rage flip-out, because they are filming from both ends. :shock:

I'm surprised with the video quality of key cam. although in this clip the Otek 126 had big sunglare. At the paved pedestrian crossing near the end of the clip, the key cam didn't show more shake or shutter roll that the Otek cam. It's low weight might help here.

And I got the idea how to embed youtube vids :idea:

Marto

Postby Oxford » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:32 am

I had a look at the splitscreen software last night and hit a brick wall, couldn't work out how to get the plugin in VirtualDub for the AVISynth software. Any tips? I like the split screen capability, certainly helps tell the story better.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Marto » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:35 pm

Oxford wrote:I had a look at the splitscreen software last night and hit a brick wall, couldn't work out how to get the plugin in VirtualDub for the AVISynth software. Any tips? I like the split screen capability, certainly helps tell the story better.

I took a while to get my head around this. That sort of thing temporarily turns me into a detail freak, until I get it working.

You just have to install both programs- VirtualDub and Avisynth. VirtualDub will use the already installed Avisynth (through information in your .avs text file) to make .mov format files, or join videos together to make a split screen video. You cant ‘start up’ Avisynth, but VirtualDub can call on it (in the background). So it isn’t a plugin.

I just used the script that Nate gave earlier. Just cut and paste this text into notepad (or other text editor):
Code: Select all
a = DirectShowSource("c:\bike videos\front camera.mov")
b = DirectShowSource("c:\bike videos\rear camera.mov")
StackHorizontal(b,a)BilinearResize(1920,540)

then save this as a file named “front and rear rec1.avs” (or whatever you want to call it, as long as it has .avs at the end). This file tells Virtualdub where to find video files and how to join them. The video files you are joining can be in .avi format already.

Next, in Virtualdub select open video file (I think) and select the text file you just made: “front and rear rec1.avs” (or whatever you have called it), then Virtualdub does its stuff.
Possible problems:
- The video files have to be the same size (ie:height x width). I got an error message with that.
- The file names in the .avs file have have the correct name and complete directory (I cut and past from explorer to get the right directory location, ie: c:\bike videos\video1.mov)
- I’m guessing Virtualdub has to know that Avisynth is there to associate .avs files with Avisynth. Could the order that you install Virtualdub and Avisynth affect things.

Hope this makes sense,

Martin
Marto

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion