Video Camera who uses one?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby darkelf921 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:58 pm

auswi2 wrote:I am picling up a Go Pro 3 Silver this week and a 32GB Sandisk Class 10 MicroSD card and have some questions about recording time as the Go pro website says one thing but cyclists are saying another.

Are these figures below correct with a standard battery that comes with the Go Pro
Recording time will vary according to the resolution setting used and the card capacity. Here are the average recording storage times for a 32GB SD card:

•1080p (30 fps): 4h 21m
•960p (30 fps): 5h 26m
•720p (60 fps): 4h 21
•720p (30 fps): 8h 09m
•WVGA (60 fps): 8h 09m

Are these figures correct in any way shape and form

Any real time data would be great as i have read that at 1080p the battery can die in less then 1 hour.

Also I was looking at purchising a Vented helmet strap to attachto the Go Pro to my Merida Road Bike. Can some please advise if you have mounted the Go Pro elsewhere on the bike facing forward and how did you find it along with the audio.

Any advise appriciated

Auswi2

I've just finished riding the Brisbane Ride To Conquer Cancer. I had a GoPro3 Silver on my helmet and a GoPro 1 on the rear (home made extender from saddle over the saddle bag).

Both cameras had the extra battery BacPac on them. Both cameras lasted about 4.5 hours. When I do my normal rides, I don't use the battery BacPacs. The 1 lasts longer than the 3. However it lasts just over 2.5 hours.

I must stress I only record at 720 PAL 25FPS.

I record every ride and I find the battery times are regularly the same. I also have about 5 spare batteries which I regularly rotate.

I hope that helps?
My YouTube channel http://goo.gl/UlJrkN
darkelf921

by BNA » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:41 pm

BNA

Postby Michael A » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:41 pm

I have two contour roam2s, one on the seat post facing back and one underneath the stem, both attached with the rubber collar/strap and base with the swivel bit. The plastic handlebar mount is useless. When K-edge brings out their handlebar mount I might look at it. They make a good one for go pro.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Michael A

Postby VRE » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:02 pm

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/123002-garmin-virb-action-camera-wants-to-take-on-gopro
A bit of competition is generally a good thing :) . I noted with interest what they'd done to improve the battery life - are you listening, GoPro?
VRE

Postby apsilon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:28 pm

Look forward to some comparison reviews with that VIRB. Was looking at ones between GoPro Black and the Sony and to me the Sony was actually winning. It'll be interesting to have another player in the market with the exit of Contour.
apsilon

Postby rabobank89 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:23 pm

I picked up the following camera until I find a decent deal on a contour or gopro;

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/114024
rabobank89

Postby bollo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:28 pm

i had a contour on my race bike (motobike) they have good quality video but the gps in it was way out i end up returning it & buying a different camera , i am thinking of looking for a small camera for my roadbike (pushy) but would need to be pretty small & HD quality & take atleast a 32gig mini SD card
2013 Cube Lightning HPC SL Race
2012 Merida Scultura Evo 905
bollo

Postby auswi2 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:26 am

Who uses the fulling enclosed GoPro 3 Back door when road cycling and who uses the Skeleton back door.

How is the sound quality with the fully enclosed back door when cycling compared with the skeleton??

Also do you find with the skeleton back door that you get alot of road dust etc doing any damage to the Gopro lens.

I also purchesed these batteries on line last night. Has anyone brought these and how have you found these batteries compared to the standard battery that comes with the Gopro.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-x-Gopro-He ... 577wt_1478

Thanks

Auswi2
auswi2

Postby VRE » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:33 am

auswi2 wrote:Who uses the fulling enclosed GoPro 3 Back door when road cycling and who uses the Skeleton back door.

How is the sound quality with the fully enclosed back door when cycling compared with the skeleton??

Also do you find with the skeleton back door that you get alot of road dust etc doing any damage to the Gopro lens.

I also purchesed these batteries on line last night. Has anyone brought these and how have you found these batteries compared to the standard battery that comes with the Gopro.

Thanks

Auswi2

I have both the Hero 1 (which I bought several years ago) and the Hero 3 (bought a few months ago).
1. Fully sealed rear hatch still allows sound, in fact, allows more sound than the same hatch did for the Hero 1, so they somehow improved it to be more sound-carrying.
2. I've used the rear hatch with openings on the Hero 1, and never had any issues with lens damage.
VRE

Postby Boognoss » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:07 am

auswi2 wrote:Who uses the fulling enclosed GoPro 3 Back door when road cycling and who uses the Skeleton back door.

Thanks

Auswi2

Sound is OK with the water-proof back (a bit muffled) and better with skeleton. I have never had any dust issue with either of my Hero 3s with the skeleton back (either the normal one or deeper back for use with the Battery Backpac). I use the skeleton backs unless it's raining. Road riding daily one hour each way commuting and never any hassles.

I have purchased similar no-name branded batteries with separate chargers. They work 100% ok but if they tell you they are higher capacity/longer runtime they're lying. I have "1300mAh" batteries and surprise surprise the runtime is identical to the Gopro 1050mAh batteries. Not complaining for the under $10 each that they worked out to be though.
2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby RonK » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:08 am

Interesting to see Garmin is getting into the action cam act now...here's a report from BikeRadar.

This device might just win me back as a Garmin customer.
Last edited by RonK on Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:18 am, edited 5 times in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby Summernight » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:09 am

Boognoss wrote:Sound is OK with the water-proof back (a bit muffled) and better with skeleton. I have never had any dust issue with either of my Hero 3s with the skeleton back (either the normal one or deeper back for use with the Battery Backpac). I use the skeleton backs unless it's raining. Road riding daily one hour each way commuting and never any hassles.

Same experience here. Skeleton on unless really raining (in light spitting rain I can leave the skeleton on). I can hear pretty much everything with the skeleton on, and not much when the waterproof is on so I prefer the skeleton. This applies to the normal housing and to the battery bacpac housing.

I've accidentally left the skeleton on in full rain and the camera got slightly wet at the back (probably more to do with not having mudguards extending over the front wheel so the spray flew back onto the camera. I just took the battery bacpac and internal battery out, dabbed off the excess water on everything and let the whole thing dry. No drama but I won't be repeating that again just in case.

The skeleton will pick up normal level speaking when stationary and usually catches what I say when riding (I speak clearly if I want the camera to pick up what I am saying). My camera is under my handlebars so not sure if that makes a difference.
Summernight

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:17 pm

DCRainmaker has an initial look at the Garmin VIRB ...

The aspects that intrigue me the most are the waterproofing (submergible), ANT+ connectivity and barometric altimeter, plus the small screen on top. I’m impressed with the shear quantity of mounts as well – mounts can do and drive purchasing decisions of action cameras.

Looking at image quality is something that specs typically won’t tell the full story (and the story on video specs is mixed, it doesn’t have as good resolution at higher framerates). You can have great sensor specs on paper, but terrible execution can result in bad video. One area that surprised me is actually the promo video that was put together. In my opinion, this video did nothing to help the cause.

Coming from the world of extremely well executed GoPro promotional videos that make you want to go right outside and surfboard with the worlds hottest looking athletes (despite never having been on a surfboard, skateboard, or any sort of board), this made me want to close the video and move onto cat videos. Second, the video shots shown with the unit didn’t seem to scream “awesome quality”. This is likely because instead of using inspiring clips from kick-ass places, they used ones from someone’s backyard. It’s all about marketing (a lesson Contour has learned the hard way) – and in this round, Garmin seemed to lose my interest.

Looks good but questionable delivery on the video front from Ray's comments.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Red Rider » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:46 pm

I like the look of the mount, very solid. The design looks great, good size and shape for cycling.
Just have to wait for reviews to see the overall performance.
Red Rider

Postby familyguy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:04 pm

I got a Sony HDR-AS15 on a screaming bargain early this week. Got to get a decent size MicroSD card tomorrow to test it. I don't have a bike mount yet, but I can rig something up easily enough till I do.

Bit of an oddity in that you have to set it, put it in the waterproof case, and mount it to do anything. I don't know anything about the others, so maybe they're all a bit quirky like this?

Looking forward to giving it a good test soon.

Jim
familyguy

Postby gromek » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:32 am

I prefer the sound without the waterproof back door, it sounds horrible played through anything with a decent amount on bass as that's all that seems to filter through.
Also to anyone interested gopro black edition are currently 399 at jb which is the lowest I've seen them anywhere

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
gromek

Postby VRE » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:08 pm

gromek wrote:I prefer the sound without the waterproof back door, it sounds horrible played through anything with a decent amount on bass as that's all that seems to filter through.

Which is fine if you only use it in dry weather. I use mine for commuting, and I commute regardless of the weather.
VRE

Postby Boognoss » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:10 pm

VRE wrote:
gromek wrote:I prefer the sound without the waterproof back door, it sounds horrible played through anything with a decent amount on bass as that's all that seems to filter through.

Which is fine if you only use it in dry weather. I use mine for commuting, and I commute regardless of the weather.

Same here, I swap to the waterproof doors in bad weather (keep them in my backpack all the time just in case).
2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Pushy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:22 am

Mobius, in cling wrap in heavy rain, microphone works of too.

Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km
Pushy

Postby vortex1018 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:00 pm

How do you guys mount your video cameras? I've got a contour roam 2 and this is how I mount it.
Any suggestions and advice?
vortex1018

Postby dentalfloss » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:14 pm

fingy wrote:My Mobius helmet setup, using same ebay sellers continuous power supply

Still waiting on my order.
I'm assuming these batteries are safe to use in direct sun on a hot summer day?
Call me paranoid but is there a risk of these exploding?
dentalfloss

Postby rabobank89 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:59 pm

Everyone seems to mount camera's on the helmet... I thought it was a bad idea when it comes to crashes as it voids the Aus standard or.... when it comes to insurance?
rabobank89

Postby Timeonabike » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:31 pm

Evening,

Have a pic of my first successful trial of IR hack to Mobius camera, c/w IR illuminator and visible light filter...great for reading number plates at night - removes the washout from headlights, and gets the plate nice and clear. Now to put it in a sexy waterproof package...

http://postimg.org/image/wj3zgrd6f/

Ignore the silly ads on the hosting site - outta my hands!

Cheers

Time
Timeonabike

Postby fingy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:47 pm

dentalfloss wrote: is there a risk of these exploding?

that battery is about 2.5 years old maybe they explode at 3 :) I am
only concerned what it may doing to my head at such close proximity,
and being on my head everyday. I know the wireless Cateye refused
to work if the battery was near it :shock:
fingy

Postby stretts » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:15 pm

Mobius Action Cam time lapse video of Adelaide sunset. Camera arrived in the mail yesterday, took it out for a short ride mounted to the handlebars (currently uploading that video) - in the meantime, here is a time lapse I made with the Mobius from my backyard, condensing an hours worth of sunset into 34 seconds. Be sure to select HD to get the highest quality.

stretts

Postby stretts » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:17 pm

Short ride with Mobius Action Cam 1080p 30fps. Mounted to handlebars, pretty sure the cam is interfering with my garmin 200, gonna have to experiment with placement I think. Pretty great picture for $70, mount is quite good as well.

stretts

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion