Video Camera who uses one?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:17 am

Timeonabike wrote:Hi MichaelB,but hey summer is coming in Perth so no rain for the next 9 months.

Well thats not fair, can I send you some of QLD's coming deluge.

Back to thread..
User avatar
Wakatuki
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:15 pm
Location: Qld

by BNA » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:01 am

BNA
 

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Aushiker » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:01 am

dentalfloss wrote:Last ride was on the bike 4 hours and so far seems even the bacpac won't be enough for battery time. Would I need to carry another spare battery and swap after about 3 hours?


I would think so. I don't get much more than two hours out of my setup with the Backpac.

Then charge two batteries after every ride?


Yes. They can charge one after the other when connected together but.

Anyone know if it would be possible to connect the hero3 to a dynamo hub charger?


Not unless you mount it without the case or drill a hole in the side :)

Image

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 19396
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby briztoon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:54 am

Aushiker wrote:
briztoon wrote:So I'm buying a Contour Roam 2 for my helmet/handle bar, and I'm looking for a camera I can mount on my seat post.


You do know that Contour have apparently gone out of business so not likely to get much in the way of support.

Andrew


Hi Andrew,

What support will I need? A local store has a lot of Contour in stock, so I was planning on buying through them.

Can you offer an appropriate alternative. I'm not tech savy at all, so need something simple to operate, etc.
Image
briztoon
 
Posts: 1236
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 am
Location: Belmont, Brisbane

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Aushiker » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:18 pm

briztoon wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
briztoon wrote:So I'm buying a Contour Roam 2 for my helmet/handle bar, and I'm looking for a camera I can mount on my seat post.


You do know that Contour have apparently gone out of business so not likely to get much in the way of support.

Andrew


Hi Andrew,

What support will I need? A local store has a lot of Contour in stock, so I was planning on buying through them


I guess legally you will have warranty from the local store so that is good ... it is really their problem if it goes bung. My Contour has gone well for a few years so maybe not an issue anyway. Just make sure you keep the documentation so you have an out if it is does play up.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 19396
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Aushiker » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:53 pm

Image

Another Kickstarter project - Rideye: The Black Box Camera for your Bike. Might appeal to some ...

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 19396
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby dentalfloss » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:53 pm

fingy wrote:
dentalfloss wrote: is there a risk of these exploding?

that battery is about 2.5 years old maybe they explode at 3 :) I am
only concerned what it may doing to my head at such close proximity,
and being on my head everyday. I know the wireless Cateye refused
to work if the battery was near it :shock:


Hi fingy the #11 battery pack specification I have (model DS-2000) states 500mA max output
The mobius manual says use a minimum 1000mA output to prevent potential failure, see page (um no page numbers...), see section "Charging" of their manual
http://www.mytempfiles.info/mobius/MobiusManual.pdf
http://www.mytempfiles.info/mobius/index.html

For optimum results, the charging voltage should be +5V under load. Only
use quality chargers capable of supplying 1000mA (1A) and a stable voltage of at least 5V. Low
quality chargers may not be able to supply enough current and can lead to premature battery
failure or, in the worst case, even destroy the camera.
dentalfloss
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby dentalfloss » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:18 am

Aushiker wrote:
dentalfloss wrote:Last ride was on the bike 4 hours and so far seems even the bacpac won't be enough for battery time. Would I need to carry another spare battery and swap after about 3 hours?


I would think so. I don't get much more than two hours out of my setup with the Backpac.

Then charge two batteries after every ride?


Yes. They can charge one after the other when connected together but.

Anyone know if it would be possible to connect the hero3 to a dynamo hub charger?


Not unless you mount it without the case or drill a hole in the side :)

Image

Andrew


Thanks Andrew - doesn't look like a good option for now. By your experience I would need 3 bacpacs I think for 4 hours? And they are integrated so seems awkward to carry that around.

I was hoping with a hub dynamo and a bunch of microsd cards could capture video or time lapse without having multiple batteries and bacpacs. Especially on tours when might be cycling 8 hours or more.

First test run with Mobius was just under 60 minutes at 1080p 30fps.
dentalfloss
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Aushiker » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:46 pm

dentalfloss wrote:Thanks Andrew - doesn't look like a good option for now. By your experience I would need 3 bacpacs I think for 4 hours? And they are integrated so seems awkward to carry that around.


Pretty close to that I would say, but you could increase battery life by using time lapse and maybe lower settings. Haven't tried this but

I was hoping with a hub dynamo and a bunch of microsd cards could capture video or time lapse without having multiple batteries and bacpacs. Especially on tours when might be cycling 8 hours or more.

First test run with Mobius was just under 60 minutes at 1080p 30fps.


If you can charge your Mobius external battery with the dynamo whilst riding this maybe an option but if you plan to record day in day out on a tour you are going to need a fair cards I suspect.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 19396
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Boognoss » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:54 pm

dentalfloss wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
dentalfloss wrote:Last ride was on the bike 4 hours and so far seems even the bacpac won't be enough for battery time. Would I need to carry another spare battery and swap after about 3 hours?


I would think so. I don't get much more than two hours out of my setup with the Backpac.

Then charge two batteries after every ride?


Yes. They can charge one after the other when connected together but.

Anyone know if it would be possible to connect the hero3 to a dynamo hub charger?


Not unless you mount it without the case or drill a hole in the side :)

Image

Andrew


Thanks Andrew - doesn't look like a good option for now. By your experience I would need 3 bacpacs I think for 4 hours? And they are integrated so seems awkward to carry that around.

I was hoping with a hub dynamo and a bunch of microsd cards could capture video or time lapse without having multiple batteries and bacpacs. Especially on tours when might be cycling 8 hours or more.

First test run with Mobius was just under 60 minutes at 1080p 30fps.


I use Backpacs and internal batteries for long rides. Swap out both at the same time when they're almost flat and get the same battery life again. Then once I'm out of Backpacs (I have two of them and 11 internal batteries) I just swap out the internal batteries.


Cheers, Simon
Sent from my mApple myPad using Tapatalk HD
Avanti Quantum, Salsa Casseroll, Specialized Tricross
Image
User avatar
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5671
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Castle Hill, NSW

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby fingy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:02 pm

dentalfloss wrote:Hi fingy the #11 battery pack specification I have (model DS-2000) states 500mA max output

Mine also, yet the seller advertises it as a 1200mA :? I don't know much
about electronics but figured it'd be okay.
Maybe I need some thing like this one 2600mAh?
User avatar
fingy
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:59 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Pushy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:52 pm

Kogan has this, 2 outputs, 1 and 2.1 amp out and 11000mAh capacity
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km
Pushy
 
Posts: 994
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:02 am
Location: Freo WA

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby dentalfloss » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:23 pm

I noticed today Dick Smith has a few options like this one http://www.ttmag.com.au/2013/02/20/meet ... rgy-stick/ they were selling for $40. Also had an iTough or iPower or something which was water/dust proof and impact resistant 6000mah for $80

Ordered a 1A output battery box off e-bay for $10 and seperately 2 x 3400mAh panasonic li-ion batteries. So should get almost 6800 mAh in a profile similar to this item http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-18650-5V ... 1176643633

So about $35 for 6800 mAh with known brand batteries. With luck the battery should last longer than filling a 64GB card, which at 1080p 30 fps should be close to 8 hours.

Could probably do it cheaper if buying the batteries in bulk or getting them from Chinese sellers. Bought mine from Australian seller was $5 more. Or take a gamble with cheaper name batteries.
dentalfloss
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby VRE » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:09 am

dentalfloss wrote:So about $35 for 6800 mAh with known brand batteries. With luck the battery should last longer than filling a 64GB card, which at 1080p 30 fps should be close to 8 hours.

Which camera are you using? I've been using the GoPro Hero 3 for months now on my commute. The round trip is 2.75 hours and in the 1080p 25fps mode fills 25GB of the 32GB SDHC card I'm using with the GoPro. This means it would take 7 hours to fill 64GB (assuming I could find a way to keep the batteries charged for that long).
User avatar
VRE
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 am
Location: Ringwood North, VIC, Australia

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby dentalfloss » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:11 pm

VRE wrote:
dentalfloss wrote:So about $35 for 6800 mAh with known brand batteries. With luck the battery should last longer than filling a 64GB card, which at 1080p 30 fps should be close to 8 hours.

Which camera are you using? I've been using the GoPro Hero 3 for months now on my commute. The round trip is 2.75 hours and in the 1080p 25fps mode fills 25GB of the 32GB SDHC card I'm using with the GoPro. This means it would take 7 hours to fill 64GB (assuming I could find a way to keep the batteries charged for that long).


Only just got a Mobius. Those are approximate figures also no sound. Turning sound off saves approx. 7% storage space according to the Mobius support thread. Do you record sound aswell?
I would like a hero3 but from reports the battery charge time will be an issue. With a protective case the best option seems to be carry extra batteries and bacpacs - but this is costly. Without the case then it may be possible to run the USB battery like in this blog http://blog.all-things-photography.com/ ... ur-go-pro/

Edit: here's an external USB apparently specific for GoPro http://www.amazon.com/Gomadic-Capacity- ... B00A2UX0W8
Integrated circuitry tailors output voltage and charging current to exact specification of the GoPro Hero3 (accurate to 0.1v).


But li-ion batteries are inexpesive so there's a premium for gopro bacpac design. Can't find offical specs but the GoPro battery what 1050 mAh (???) and the bacpac "doubles battery life" so assume the same 1050 mAh. That's 2100 mAh for around $100 (correct me if a bacpac and spare battery can be had for less). AA size 18650 li-ion battery can store almost 3400 mAh for about $10 (plus a storage case). I understand the designs are different but cost per mAh is up there.

The idea was a gopro for front (for the better quality footage) and Mobius for rear.
Last edited by dentalfloss on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dentalfloss
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby VRE » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:24 pm

dentalfloss wrote:Only just got a Mobius. Those are approximate figures also no sound. Turning sound off saves approx. 7% storage space according to the Mobius support thread. Do you record sound aswell?

Well, I need something to record me swearing at the numpties :P .
User avatar
VRE
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 am
Location: Ringwood North, VIC, Australia

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby dentalfloss » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:39 pm

Actually there's some slightly larger capacity 1300 mAh batteries for gopro (2 for $20) on e-bay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-High-capac ... 0950315179
And a battery bacpac for $65 http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GoPro-Genuin ... 1338937738
So 2 backpacs and the 2 batteries $150 for total of 4700 mAh.

Aushiker says he can get just over 2 hours with the original battery and bacpac. The bigger batteries are almost 25% more capacity (assuming accurate claims) then maybe an extra 15 mins?
So all up maybe 4.5 hours from this setup at a guess?
dentalfloss
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby dentalfloss » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:43 pm

VRE wrote:
dentalfloss wrote:Only just got a Mobius. Those are approximate figures also no sound. Turning sound off saves approx. 7% storage space according to the Mobius support thread. Do you record sound aswell?

Well, I need something to record me swearing at the numpties :P .


Do people here recommend recording with sound? Maybe you're right - I should turn on sound and redo the tests. Thanks.
dentalfloss
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby apsilon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:57 pm

dentalfloss wrote:Do people here recommend recording with sound? Maybe you're right - I should turn on sound and redo the tests. Thanks.


I certainly record sound. An extra element in the case of an incident. eg near miss, you file a complaint with the police, they counter with a statement you verbally threatened them. Video would show the near miss but without sound it's your word against theirs on what was or wasn't said.
User avatar
apsilon
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:49 pm
Location: Hills District, Sydney

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Summernight » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:41 am

I have a question for all you tech-savvy people:

I've set up my 808 cameras how I want them (one sitting on the side of my helmet just beside my ear and the other on the drive train side of the seat stay). Both cameras are orientated 90 degrees so at the moment footage is portrait view and not landscape. I want landscape footage but want to keep the orientation of the cameras as they are if at all possible. Is there such a way to modify the settings so that the camera can sit vertically but still shoot in landscape or do I have to change my set-up?
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1392
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:21 pm

Summernight wrote:I have a question for all you tech-savvy people:

I've set up my 808 cameras how I want them (one sitting on the side of my helmet just beside my ear and the other on the drive train side of the seat stay). Both cameras are orientated 90 degrees so at the moment footage is portrait view and not landscape. I want landscape footage but want to keep the orientation of the cameras as they are if at all possible. Is there such a way to modify the settings so that the camera can sit vertically but still shoot in landscape or do I have to change my set-up?


The problem is the sensor will be in portrait. You'd probably have to open it up and swivel the camera unit (Lens&sensor) around 90 degrees. The only "rotate" option that the camera supports is 180 degrees, not 90.
Image
User avatar
InTheWoods
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:31 am

InTheWoods wrote:
Summernight wrote:I have a question for all you tech-savvy people:

I've set up my 808 cameras how I want them (one sitting on the side of my helmet just beside my ear and the other on the drive train side of the seat stay). Both cameras are orientated 90 degrees so at the moment footage is portrait view and not landscape. I want landscape footage but want to keep the orientation of the cameras as they are if at all possible. Is there such a way to modify the settings so that the camera can sit vertically but still shoot in landscape or do I have to change my set-up?


The problem is the sensor will be in portrait. You'd probably have to open it up and swivel the camera unit (Lens&sensor) around 90 degrees. The only "rotate" option that the camera supports is 180 degrees, not 90.


Anyone know if turning the lens 90 degrees is easy to do? Or is it easy just to do with software afterwards? I want to run my mobius vertically so it sits unobtrusively in the vent of my helmet...
Image
Dr_Mutley
 
Posts: 2049
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:28 pm
Location: Flagstaff Hill, Adelaide SA 5159

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby apsilon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:38 am

I doubt it'd go back together once you turn the guts 90deg (you're not just turning the lens but the actual sensor as well and as I imgaine that's mounted to the main PCB you'd end up having to turn everything).

Far easier to rotate the video in an editor later if you need/want to or of course mount it the "right way" round in the first place.
User avatar
apsilon
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:49 pm
Location: Hills District, Sydney

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:57 am

apsilon wrote:I doubt it'd go back together once you turn the guts 90deg (you're not just turning the lens but the actual sensor as well and as I imgaine that's mounted to the main PCB you'd end up having to turn everything).

Far easier to rotate the video in an editor later if you need/want to or of course mount it the "right way" round in the first place.


Unfortunately the "right way" is less unobtrusive... Turning the video later is prob the easiest way... I think I saw a 90deg lens and cable somewhere on the net... Would be the other option I guess...
Image
Dr_Mutley
 
Posts: 2049
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:28 pm
Location: Flagstaff Hill, Adelaide SA 5159

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:39 pm

DriftHD Cameras are the ones that you can rotate the lens 359 degrees.
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 1852
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Summernight » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:07 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:
Summernight wrote:I have a question for all you tech-savvy people:

I've set up my 808 cameras how I want them (one sitting on the side of my helmet just beside my ear and the other on the drive train side of the seat stay). Both cameras are orientated 90 degrees so at the moment footage is portrait view and not landscape. I want landscape footage but want to keep the orientation of the cameras as they are if at all possible. Is there such a way to modify the settings so that the camera can sit vertically but still shoot in landscape or do I have to change my set-up?


The problem is the sensor will be in portrait. You'd probably have to open it up and swivel the camera unit (Lens&sensor) around 90 degrees. The only "rotate" option that the camera supports is 180 degrees, not 90.


Anyone know if turning the lens 90 degrees is easy to do? Or is it easy just to do with software afterwards? I want to run my mobius vertically so it sits unobtrusively in the vent of my helmet...


There is a modification to move the camera lens 90 degrees (although I am unsure whether that is turning it so landscape is portrait and vice versa or whether that mod is to move the lens to point out of the large, flat side of the case. EDIT: mod is to point the lens out of the wide side of the case) detailed here although it requires knowledge of electronics, gluing and stuff that I wouldn't be overly comfortable doing.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=6388

* * * * *

I was hoping there would be an easy software option to film in landscape instead of getting the tools out and playing with the innards of the camera but it seems from reading page 435 or so of the RB Forum on the #11 that the cable inside the 808 (probably the same for the #16) is too short and delicate to allow a 90 degree twist and I'll just have to live with portrait view on the helmet cam and the rear view camera poking out the side of the bike. Ah well. Thanks for all the replies. :D
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1392
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: diggler, Dragster1, Red Rider, xavdav



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist