Video Camera who uses one?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Nate » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:03 pm

Bartek wrote:I have a couple of Mobius cameras and I have just acquired weatherproof cases for them

$20! eeep thats steep
I'll see if I can muster up something equivalent for mine that is workable & "cost effective"
Nate

by BNA » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:35 pm

BNA

Postby myforwik » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:35 pm

The go pro might be great, but its the ugliest most conspicuous camera ever.

I prefer for the road rages to spit chips, then realise half way through they are on camera.
myforwik

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:12 am

Sony have a new action cam due out and am planning to trial soon along with the Ghost S and a new action camera from Black Vue. Would like to get a GoPro 3 into the test round however will likely have to settle with an older GoPro.
$5157 Raised for my Adelaide to Darwin charity ride:
Keep supporting! TourXOz Details and Fundraising
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby trailgumby » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:58 am

Personally I prefer to avoid the road rage altogether. If having a conspicuous camera facilitates that, all the better.

Christopher if you want to borrow my Hero3 for the comparison let me know.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk
trailgumby

Postby redned » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:57 am

myforwik wrote:The go pro might be great, but its the ugliest most conspicuous camera ever.

I see that the fellow that was attacked by a tiger at Australia Zoo had a Go Pro on his head. That might make for interesting footage!
redned

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:26 pm

redned wrote:
myforwik wrote:The go pro might be great, but its the ugliest most conspicuous camera ever.

I see that the fellow that was attacked by a tiger at Australia Zoo had a Go Pro on his head. That might make for interesting footage!

I'm waiting for that to go to YouTube!
Dr_Mutley

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:26 pm

Hopefully in 4K res :P
Lukeyboy

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:30 pm

Thanks Trailgumby - will probably follow up on this - probably need to build a superduper extra bar for all of the camera's which will make for good live comparison.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:33 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Thanks Trailgumby - will probably follow up on this - probably need to build a superduper extra bar for all of the camera's which will make for good live comparison.

dcrainmaker style
jasonc

Postby BianchiCam » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:37 pm

Just want to vent.

Go-Pro battery life is C.R.A.P

1. something crappy hours of batterylife?

You are kidding.
Trying the knock off Chinese spares instead.

Woeful, just woeful
BianchiCam

Postby Thrilloilogy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:40 pm

I've got my roam mounted on the handlebars as having it on my helmet annoys me. However, I find that it picks up a lot of vibrations. It's alright if I am watching it on my iphone; but on the PC it's a lot noticable. I am using the strap mount. Does someone have some tips on how to dampen the vibration? Thanks!
Thrilloilogy

Postby BianchiCam » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:06 pm

I use a k edge and it's solid as!
Going from a helmet to handlebars will be a major factor with vibes though whatever you do.
BianchiCam

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:07 pm

The contour strap mount is crap - especially at a price of $99. There are pages of info here, so have a look but the short solution is that a solid mount that eliminates flex as much as possible is best - so with the GoPro's, getting ride of the plastic mounts and using the aluminium K-Edge with provide a significant improvement.

When you have bumpy or rough terrain the camera will pick this up, but the vibration and camera movement will be reduced.

So to contour - the options for the handlebar would be to somehow strap it down, which is a challenge because of the design or to get the waterproof case and I believe one has a screw-in mount that may then connect with another system like the K-Edge.

Just checked up on Contour and wanted to find out who in Australia looks after the brand currently - clicking on "SUPPORT" shows a ' Sorry, We Couldn't Find That Page' error. Oh no.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BastardSheep » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:55 am

AUbicycles wrote:Just checked up on Contour and wanted to find out who in Australia looks after the brand currently - clicking on "SUPPORT" shows a ' Sorry, We Couldn't Find That Page' error. Oh no.

Yeah, they went under in October but about a week later got a bailout. They don't appear as yet to have returned any services and I'm still waiting on what direction the company is going now. In the meantime, meecosales.com.au handle all Contour warranty/sales (there was a little slip to say as much in the one I just purchased). The bike kit is $99, the strap is only $40. There's also a standalone bike mount - http://www.meecosales.com.au/buy/contou ... 95/VHR2780 - shop around, may find cheaper.

I grabbed the vented helmet strap (only got my ROAM2 a few days ago) but am thinking of moving mine to the handlebar so I'm wishing I got the bike kit instead now (which has both, and more). :/

Btw, I'm just down in North Syd if you want a ROAM2 to use for comparison. Happy to lend it out for a short while.
n=1 | 2006 Learsport TR3240 Hardtail
BastardSheep

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:34 am

Good on you - will be in contact when it gets a bit closer, but may try Meeco and see if they want to go direct as they were also going through lots of changes as well.

I just checked my Contour footage (April 2012) this was handlebar mounted and it is pure jello. I tried both mounts but even the solid one (non rubber) just wasn't performing - too much plastic. I would have liked to have strapped it down but I wasn't allowed to as I had to return the camera in pristine condition. Means that I am convinced that it is a helmet cam or for mounting (kayak perhaps) where it doesn't have the vibration that bikes will get.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:42 am

Thrilloilogy wrote:I've got my roam mounted on the handlebars as having it on my helmet annoys me. However, I find that it picks up a lot of vibrations. It's alright if I am watching it on my iphone; but on the PC it's a lot noticable. I am using the strap mount. Does someone have some tips on how to dampen the vibration? Thanks!

I've got the k-edge mount for the handlebar for my camera. But the mount for the camera to link into the k-edge for was too tight. Had to file it down and run the k-edge under hot water before it would fit.
g-boaf

Postby Rhubarb » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:14 pm

Bartek wrote:I have a couple of Mobius cameras and I have just acquired weatherproof cases
for them

seem to work fine.

I got the cases from here

http://mobius-actioncam.com/store/produ ... e-windows/

Interesting. Would those covers fit the wide angle lens version?
Rhubarb

Postby Bartek » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:33 am

Rhubarb wrote:Interesting. Would those covers fit the wide angle lens version?

The short answer = don't know!

as far as I know the lenses are all the same externally its the internals that are different, but I could be wrong (has been known before!)
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350
Bartek

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:55 pm

The wide angle lens protrudes from the case of the camera more than on the standard lens version:

Rhubarb

Postby Bartek » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:05 pm

Rhubarb wrote:The wide angle lens protrudes from the case of the camera more than on the standard lens version:

Then no I don't think it will fit, as it seems to be quite a tight fit, but you could e-mail them and ask if they have one to fit. I e-mailed them about shipping worldwide, as they only shipped to the US originally and they changed it and replied when they sorted it. Worth a try!
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350
Bartek

Postby Summernight » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:23 am

The wide angle lens version will fit in a tic tac box DIY jobbie. I just decided with my set-up that I wanted the lens on the outside. :)
Summernight

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:44 pm

I've got a K-edge mount for the camera and the little adaptor to put the Liquid Image camera on it. But the shake is still quite bad.

You can see the camera shaking backwards and forwards over the bumps. If I hold my hand against the back of it, that stops the vibrations but that is not any good. Surely there must be something more secure? At the moment, the camera is essentially useless.

Looks like it's going to be a helmet mount for it. Although it has the most rubbish helmet mount too. :roll:
g-boaf

Postby Rex » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:57 pm

I ordered the TCL SVC-200 this week, lo
oking forward to riding with it over the xmas rides.
Vibration is a concern, but I have a few mounting options.
Rex

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:24 am

Gboaf, can you share an image of the mount and camera. With goPros and similar hard cases they are quite rigid so the k-egde on the case works well. Perhaps the adapter allows flex or there is movement between each part - lets have a look first.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:31 pm

Getting tempted for a Garmin VIRB,
Battery life ,Out the box waterproof,Easy to start.
But then again, a Drift with long life battery replacement and a rotational lense and all the above is mighty tempting too.
Wakatuki

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion