Video Camera who uses one?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:25 pm

Wakatuki wrote:Getting tempted for a Garmin VIRB,
Battery life ,Out the box waterproof,Easy to start.
But then again, a Drift with long life battery replacement and a rotational lense and all the above is mighty tempting too.

I use a Drift HD Ghost. Audio isn't the best for obvious reasons but its still a great camera. If audio is important just connect a mic. The rotatable lens is bloody brilliant as you can set the camera up on any position and then just turn the lens to get a level view. Swapping batteries is pretty simple and there is great battery life. IF you want you could buy the external accessory pack to recharge your GPS, iphone and camera while riding. If you own a full face helmet you can use the goggle mount.

The camera is attached to the fork and you can see the mount and setup in the chest camera. I had the waterproofing/hardcase attached aswell due to being on the mtb.
Lukeyboy

by BNA » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:50 am

BNA

Postby ajmit3 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:50 am

Thanks to Nate - got the camera mounted perfectly on my drop bar - works perfectly ! Sticks out horizontally - which is great - hopefully more noticeable. Really wanted motorists to pass me closely for once so I could have a look later how close they were ! Really pleased with the quality of the image for $90 !
ajmit3

Postby Thrilloilogy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:58 pm

Hi All,

Contour appears to be on the way back. Their website has been updated and the support page is there with links to the firmware.
Thrilloilogy

Postby Percrime » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:59 am

Percrime

Postby Wakatuki » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:22 am

Thrilloilogy wrote:Hi All,

Contour appears to be on the way back. Their website has been updated and the support page is there with links to the firmware.

Great news, I will monitor this closely.
Wakatuki

Postby cage » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:28 am

Percrime wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMMlhWxh9No

Saw that, its doing the rounds on FB & a couple of motorcycle forums that i'm on. From what I understand, ANY attachment not specifically recommended by the manufacturer is not allowed... don't know though if the same law applies to bicycle helmets.
Lynskey Cooper CX, Giant Defy1, Albeni, Centurion, Gefsco, Trek Superfly.
cage

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:46 am

cage wrote:
Percrime wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMMlhWxh9No

Saw that, its doing the rounds on FB & a couple of motorcycle forums that i'm on. From what I understand, ANY attachment not specifically recommended by the manufacturer is not allowed... don't know though if the same law applies to bicycle helmets.

Yes they do apply to bicycle helmet laws. Even putting reflective stickers on a helmet or wearing a hat underneath a helmet, makes it technically non-compliant with the law since it no longer complies with the specific standard, in a similar way that European helmets mostly don't comply either (unless they have the special Aus sticker).

Whether or not a cop would fine you is another question. Less likely than on a moto I would think but you never know if you catch a cop on a bad day...
Rhubarb

Postby Nate » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:38 pm

listening to the audio...
"because they can come off"

Very fair call from the cops, imagine a hard plastic nugget coming off & flying into someone's head at 80km/h.

similar to the regs for using cameras when doing motorsport events - must be "positively" mounted, i.e. bolt THROUGH something solid, no suction caps or stickyness.
(I used to use 4 rare earth magnets - good for 170km/h (AT) wakefield).
But the most important thing is that it could potentially degrade the performance of the helmet - thats why when I did the rigidmount stuff way back when - no helmet mounts.
Nate

Postby SuperSix » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:59 pm

Nate wrote:listening to the audio...

Very fair call from the cops, imagine a hard plastic nugget coming off & flying into someone's head at 80km/h.

similar to the regs for using cameras when doing motorsport events - must be "positively" mounted, i.e. bolt THROUGH something solid, no suction caps or stickyness.
(I used to use 4 rare earth magnets - good for 170km/h (AT) wakefield).
But the most important thing is that it could potentially degrade the performance of the helmet - thats why when I did the rigidmount stuff way back when - no helmet mounts.

Listen again. She says it makes is non compliant. Her voice also tails off a bit as she says it because she's not too sure about what she is saying.
I know this guy and what he says is true. He was cleaned up by a truck last year and wears the cam to help cover himself.
What I really want to know is where the decision to pick on some obscure law came from and why?
I also have a mate who is a cop and he had a good look and couldn't find the offense in all the books at work.
It seems to me they have dug very deep to interpret the legislation to suit their agenda. What that agenda is, is unclear at this time.
SuperSix

Postby cage » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:59 pm

Based on that logic then, ANY item, be it attached to you or the bike, (moto or bicycle), would be illegal... that would include you computer, lights & probably your tool bag as well.

I'm thinking she was probably having a hard time meeting her quota for the day or just has it in for riders.
cage

Postby Percrime » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:46 pm

You know I can conceivable see a crash where a go pro could break your nose or something in a bicycle helmet. Wearing a motorcycle helmet... no chance at all
Percrime

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:57 pm

Coincidentally I happen to see a police woman (cycle cop) in Brisbane today, with a rear flasher light attached to the back of her helmet, as well as a things on top which appeared to be a camera and battery pack.
Rhubarb

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:23 pm

I wonder if bug splats affect helmet effectiveness/legality ??

Those little red and silver stickers seem to ;) my UK spec helmet is a death trap compared the the three times more expensive identical helmet with the silver and red sticker !!

Or am I being cynical ?
Riggsbie

Postby Percrime » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:16 am

It has not happened yet but there is a strong rumor that Force Command is planning to formally withdraw that TIN. If that happens it will be a pretty powerful precedent
Percrime

Postby auswi2 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:47 am

Is the Gopro Hero 3 still the best camera to use on a road bicycle for battery life, price and mounts for a road bike plus picture and sound quality.

Can other reccomend other cameras with the same video quality but better battery life out of the box and have different mount for road bikes that are not plastic thhings that break.

Thanks

Auswi2
auswi2

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:16 am

DriftHD video cameras beats the GoPro for battery life out of the box. Both have their pros and cons.

Video/sound quality: GoPro wins both. Drift cameras do come with an option to connect a microphone which is why the camera is very popular with motorbike riders (you can have it so it captures more ambient audio or you can have it closer to you to catch your voice).
Battery life: DriftHD - The battery pack can make the camera record for 20 hours http://store.driftinnovation.com/drift-power-pack (You should also be able to connect it to a GoPro :P)
Mounts: Varies - I say look at third party mounts for on bike mounts. K-edge is one of the best when it comes to mounting systems. Alot of members here will say the same thing. Especially those in the broken GoPro mount club :P What mounting systems are you after in particular? Handlebar, under the seat looking back, helmet (either standard or full face), chest, shoulder, fork, stem, panniers etc

K-Edge mounts - http://www.acecosportgroup.com/shop/k-e ... mount.html

The longer mounts with the standard thread are for Sony, DriftHD, point and shoot, well, any camera with a standard thread. The others are obviously designed for the GoPro. The shorter ones that have both are designed so you can mount a sony/drifthd/etc camera onto a GoPro mount (if you own both cameras).
Lukeyboy

Postby Nate » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:25 pm

cage wrote:Based on that logic then, ANY item, be it attached to you or the bike, (moto or bicycle), would be illegal... that would include you computer, lights & probably your tool bag as well.

looks to be more about helmet performance & it seems like it could very well be legit...

Covered here in Feb 2k12!
https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/forum ... cb#p580057

http://www.productsafety.gov.au/content ... mId/974624
Causes non-compliance with AS':
"No attachments should be made to the helmet except those recommended by the helmet manufacturer."

Not the best to fine the guy - but i'd be for clamping down on helmet mounts & giving out some warnings.
As for it "just coming off in a crash" etc - unless you're a relevant engineer or associated with the testing standards, your comment isnt valid. (no offense intended to anyone - but this is science & based on facts/evidence, not opinions)

A lot of people have jumped on the bandwagon & may be completely unaware of impact to helmet performance.
Nate

Postby cage » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:01 pm

Nate wrote:As for it "just coming off in a crash" etc - unless you're a relevant engineer or associated with the testing standards, your comment isnt valid. (no offense intended to anyone - but this is science & based on facts/evidence, not opinions)

Those certainly are not my words and I cant see where anyone else has said that, but it seems you where the one thinking along those lines.

Nate wrote:Very fair call from the cops, imagine a hard plastic nugget coming off & flying into someone's head at 80km/h.

You also seem to think the cop said...

...which is incorrect.
cage

Postby auswi2 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:14 pm

I have some Gropro footage that is filmed upside down.

Can anyone advise on software that can play this footage up the correct way. I am running Windows 8.1.

I have tried GoPro Studio 2.0 Edit Software but it does not even open my go pro video footage.

There must be software out there that can play gopro footage filmed upside down. I don't need to convert the footage only play it

Thanks

Auswi2
auswi2

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:21 pm

VLC player. Start playing the video then press Ctlr+E. Click video effects > Geometry > Transform Rotate by 180 degrees.
Lukeyboy

Postby cage » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:29 pm

Video Camera who uses one? WA police force, that's who.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/wa-camera-cops-target-texting-drivers/story-fnhocxo3-1226786686576

Looks like there using the Drift camera I think.
cage

Postby auswi2 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:25 pm

Thanks VLC is perfect

Auswi2
auswi2

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:42 pm

For GoPro if you mount upsidedown you can also set it so that it records upsidedown - and comes out the right way out.

Also the brand new Sony Action cam has just arrived - there is an optional viewfinder and it looks compact... will get a closer look soon and report back.
$3207 Raised from $5000 in my Adelaide to Darwin charity ride: TourXOz Details and Fundraising
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby auswi2 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:57 pm

Thanks for that I was not aware it could record upside down

Thanks

Auswi2
auswi2

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:25 pm

cage wrote:Video Camera who uses one? WA police force, that's who.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/wa-camera-cops-target-texting-drivers/story-fnhocxo3-1226786686576

Looks like there using the Drift camera I think.

The editorial/media photographer within me is screaming at the reporters camera phone photo!

And yep they look like drift cameras.
Lukeyboy

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion