Video Camera who uses one?

User avatar
find_bruce
Posts: 5872
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby find_bruce » Wed May 21, 2014 3:00 pm

With Autumn upon us my commute home is now in darkness. Curiously my humble 808 #16 camera does a decent job of recording at night, but my GoPro HD Hero does not. Unless there is very good street lighting, the image is almost entirely black.

Any suggestions on GoPro settings to best capture night images ?
Image . . . . . Image

User avatar
Aushiker
Posts: 21534
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA
Contact:

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 21, 2014 10:03 pm

find_bruce wrote:With Autumn upon us my commute home is now in darkness. Curiously my humble 808 #16 camera does a decent job of recording at night, but my GoPro HD Hero does not. Unless there is very good street lighting, the image is almost entirely black.


PM sent with a link to a raw file from tonight. I am reasonably happy with my night recordings. Differently good enough should the worse happen and I was able to get a MGIF driver number plate okay. Anyway have a look at the raw file and see how it compares. I can you my settings if you think it will help.

Andrew
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
Posts: 5708
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed May 21, 2014 10:59 pm

I don't use a video camera.

But my wife just popped a surprise and presented with a shiny new GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition on Sunday.

I'm working it all out. Now I just need to buy a few accessories, mounts, etc and I'll be ready to bore the crud out of the local constabulary, those on this forum and the rest of planet.

Just like the rest of you guys do. :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle
Image

User avatar
Clydesdale Scot
Posts: 1561
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:55 pm
Location: Adelaide, SA

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Wed May 21, 2014 11:06 pm

I have a Garmin Virb Elite
happy with it, easy to take the data and use on the overlays
of course what you see even on the HD is nothing like I can see from the original mp4 file.
let me help you prepare your ebay advert, ask me how

User avatar
grantw
Posts: 1703
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:22 am
Location: Wollongong

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby grantw » Thu May 22, 2014 9:28 am

So what software are we all using to edit our videos?
Image

User avatar
oxonabike
Posts: 340
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:47 pm
Location: Cairns, QLD
Contact:

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby oxonabike » Thu May 22, 2014 10:03 am

grantw wrote:So what software are we all using to edit our videos?


kdenlive - it's free... but it's a linux thing. Possibly an option for Mac as well.
Image

User avatar
herzog
Posts: 2174
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby herzog » Thu May 22, 2014 10:05 am

iMovie here. Pretty straightforward

jasonc
Posts: 8548
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby jasonc » Thu May 22, 2014 10:09 am

scot - that looks like a fun descent - 4:15 to 6:15 no brakes i'd hope?

ReplayXD
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:05 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby ReplayXD » Thu May 22, 2014 2:52 pm

Here is a review of a few cameras, not cycling related but some various tests conducted.

http://www.dropzone.com/news/Gear/Best_Action_Camera_2014_-_Ultimate_POV_Camera_Shootout_1027.html

Damien
Replay XD Australia

User avatar
herzog
Posts: 2174
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:50 pm

Video Camera who uses one?

Postby herzog » Thu May 22, 2014 3:05 pm

Hi Damien

I've just started using an XD720 as an incident camera to film my commutes.

Can you tell me if the sync/charge cable is proprietary or is it a standard one I could get at Jaycar or somewhere. I need a spare so I can recharge at work.

ReplayXD
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:05 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby ReplayXD » Thu May 22, 2014 3:41 pm

Hi, For the XD720 and XD1080 the cable is specific to the camera as the camera was used in some data acquisition environments that required this. From the 1080 Mini uses a standard USB to USB Mini B cable.

Thanks

Damien

User avatar
Aushiker
Posts: 21534
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA
Contact:

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 22, 2014 4:51 pm

find_bruce wrote:Any suggestions on GoPro settings to best capture night images ?


My settings are:

1080 30 Medium
12 MP Wide
OSD on
LED 4

Andrew
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

User avatar
Clydesdale Scot
Posts: 1561
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:55 pm
Location: Adelaide, SA

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu May 22, 2014 5:00 pm

jasonc wrote:scot - that looks like a fun descent - 4:15 to 6:15 no brakes i'd hope?

just a touch at 4.40

Damien, the camera review you linked to is a little surprising.
On battery life: "Garmin VIRB and GoPro 3 Black barely reached 50 minutes of record time."
dcrainmaker found differently:
Garmin VIRB Elite #1: 2:21 (Marketed: 3:00)
Garmin VIRB Elite #2: 2:24 (Marketed: 3:00)
Garmin VIRB Regular: 2:36 (Marketed: 2:36)
JVC GC-XA2: 1hr 51m (Marketed: 1:48)
GoPro Hero3 Black: 1:29 (Marketed: 1:30)


scoring zero for 120p and 240p is very suspect.
As the Garmin Virb can use all of the GoPro mounts, it is hard to understand how it scores 4 where GoPro scores 5.

for reviews I usually go to dcrainmaker.
let me help you prepare your ebay advert, ask me how

User avatar
herzog
Posts: 2174
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby herzog » Thu May 22, 2014 5:07 pm

ReplayXD wrote:Hi, For the XD720 and XD1080 the cable is specific to the camera as the camera was used in some data acquisition environments that required this. From the 1080 Mini uses a standard USB to USB Mini B cable.

Thanks

Damien


Ok thanks I will order one. Also for the life of me I cannot work out which mount is available to suit bicycle handlebars.

Can you post a direct link to the right item?

Generally I'm getting good results from it, and very happy with the size and weight.

User avatar
find_bruce
Posts: 5872
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby find_bruce » Thu May 22, 2014 5:28 pm

grantw wrote:So what software are we all using to edit our videos?

Depends on what you mean by edit. My needs are simple, trim the excess, no titles, music fades or other jazz. I was using gopro cineform but got tired as it was slow & kept crashing. Tried a few different ones without success (mainly issues with codecs for the gopro & 808 #16) then found the latest version of microsoft movie maker actually did a good job. Colour me surprised.
Image . . . . . Image

User avatar
grantw
Posts: 1703
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:22 am
Location: Wollongong

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby grantw » Thu May 22, 2014 6:42 pm

thanks Guys, curiously I was thinking windows movie maker was alright too, so I thought I would check :-)
Image

User avatar
clackers
Posts: 2065
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 10:48 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby clackers » Thu May 22, 2014 10:45 pm

grantw wrote:thanks Guys, curiously I was thinking windows movie maker was alright too, so I thought I would check :-)


David and Margaret won't be impressed with its results, but it does all the basics very well.

ReplayXD
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:05 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby ReplayXD » Fri May 23, 2014 2:52 pm

herzog wrote:Ok thanks I will order one. Also for the life of me I cannot work out which mount is available to suit bicycle handlebars.

Can you post a direct link to the right item?

Generally I'm getting good results from it, and very happy with the size and weight.


Billet Aluminium mounts are here: http://www.replay-xd.com.au/replay-xd/accessories-mounts-spares/hardcore-replay-xd-billet-chassis-clamp

Thanks

Damien

ReplayXD
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:05 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby ReplayXD » Fri May 23, 2014 3:20 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:Damien, the camera review you linked to is a little surprising.
On battery life: "Garmin VIRB and GoPro 3 Black barely reached 50 minutes of record time."
dcrainmaker found differently:
Garmin VIRB Elite #1: 2:21 (Marketed: 3:00)
Garmin VIRB Elite #2: 2:24 (Marketed: 3:00)
Garmin VIRB Regular: 2:36 (Marketed: 2:36)
JVC GC-XA2: 1hr 51m (Marketed: 1:48)
GoPro Hero3 Black: 1:29 (Marketed: 1:30)


scoring zero for 120p and 240p is very suspect.
As the Garmin Virb can use all of the GoPro mounts, it is hard to understand how it scores 4 where GoPro scores 5.

for reviews I usually go to dcrainmaker.


I have heard of many similar results to the GoPro from many motor racing competitors and those from film industry getting very short battery life but know little about the Garmin. Wifi will deplete the battery very rapidly in some cameras with one I heard that the battery life was reduced by around 2 thirds.

I saw the battery test in the article you linked to, sounds very similar to that of the review I linked to. Although don't know what the cameras were viewing in the test I linked to. I am not a real fan of those tests as they are not real world. I know that I will get a longer running time recording an environment with no movement or light changes (eg sitting it on the desk) for which the sensor, image and sound processors need to react to and encode.

For the road test on the bike it would have been interesting to see what cops here though of that in terms of helmet mods.

Damien

User avatar
find_bruce
Posts: 5872
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby find_bruce » Fri May 23, 2014 4:24 pm

Aushiker wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Any suggestions on GoPro settings to best capture night images ?


My settings are:

1080 30 Medium
12 MP Wide
OSD on
LED 4

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, sadly it seems to confirm that the improvements come with the GoPro Hero 3 black & my old HD Hero is stuck with poor night time performance
Image . . . . . Image

User avatar
Aushiker
Posts: 21534
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA
Contact:

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 23, 2014 4:43 pm

find_bruce wrote:Thanks Andrew, sadly it seems to confirm that the improvements come with the GoPro Hero 3 black & my old HD Hero is stuck with poor night time performance


My old Contour HD1080 sounds the same as your older GoPro ...seems there has been improvements in technology.

Andrew
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

iaintas
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby iaintas » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:05 pm

Really happy with my mobius so far, the only issue is waterproofness! Im thinking of getting a TCL svc 300 just waiting for techmoan to do a review on it. He had good things to say about the svc 200.
Image

ironhanglider
Posts: 1744
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:44 pm
Location: Middle East, Melbourne

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:46 pm

iaintas wrote:Really happy with my mobius so far, the only issue is waterproofness! Im thinking of getting a TCL svc 300 just waiting for techmoan to do a review on it. He had good things to say about the svc 200.


He said good things about the Mobius waterproof case too.

I have noticed that it fits nicely within an Eclipse mints container, with enough space for desiccant even. One day I might try to make a waterproof case of my own.

Cheers,

Cameron
Image

User avatar
Bartek
Posts: 193
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:43 pm
Location: Waikiki, Western Australia

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Bartek » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:48 pm

Thinking of buying one of these when they go on general release.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gi ... discovery#

I will continue using the two Mobius cameras in the meantime, they seem to do the job and have a small enough profile for cyclist use.
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

reefer
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:30 pm
Location: Townsville

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby reefer » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:10 pm

Bartek wrote:Thinking of buying one of these when they go on general release.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gi ... discovery#

I will continue using the two Mobius cameras in the meantime, they seem to do the job and have a small enough profile for cyclist use.


60 minute run time (at the lower 25FPS) does not do it for me. Going to stick it on your helmut? no thanks.

I cant go past the Fly6, for cycling, that's why I ordered one. Looking forward to the front camera from them too :)

Return to “General discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]