Video Camera who uses one?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Rhubarb » Fri May 02, 2014 10:00 pm

This is a video about my new light, but also shows some pretty impressive low light footage from my Mobius camera. This is shot with all default settings and Wide Dynamic Range enabled.

Its no GoPro, and you will see a few obvious flaws but for $75, I think it does well.

Rhubarb

by BNA » Sat May 03, 2014 11:46 pm

BNA

Postby Riggsbie » Sat May 03, 2014 11:46 pm

Loving the new 90 lux B&M light...the Möbius looks to be working well too !

So where did you buy the new light ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Riggsbie

Postby Rhubarb » Sun May 04, 2014 4:24 pm

Riggsbie wrote:Loving the new 90 lux B&M light...the Möbius looks to be working well too !

Sinner Bikes. €109 + postage - EU VAT.

Its a straight swap, reuses existing mounts, wiring, switches and charger.
Rhubarb

Postby Davepp » Mon May 05, 2014 12:25 am

Great little thing and not bad price either. How long will it record for till it's full?
I'm wondering if it will record an entire trip from Melb to Syd?

I've also wanted an onboard camera to record idiots on the road at times. Imagine if you had the 360 camera working haha since I'd be more worried about a hit and run. I guess insurance would take care of things like that.

http://www.szswill.com/car-camera.html

The only problem is that I have no idea which cams I should get. Any recommendations?
Davepp

Postby Andy » Mon May 05, 2014 11:42 am

Rhubarb wrote:
Riggsbie wrote:Loving the new 90 lux B&M light...the Möbius looks to be working well too !

Sinner Bikes. €109 + postage - EU VAT.

Its a straight swap, reuses existing mounts, wiring, switches and charger.

What are Sinner like for postage?
Andy

Postby Rhubarb » Mon May 05, 2014 12:46 pm

Davepp wrote:Great little thing and not bad price either. How long will it record for till it's full?
I'm wondering if it will record an entire trip from Melb to Syd?

I've also wanted an onboard camera to record idiots on the road at times. Imagine if you had the 360 camera working haha since I'd be more worried about a hit and run. I guess insurance would take care of things like that.

http://www.szswill.com/car-camera.html

The only problem is that I have no idea which cams I should get. Any recommendations?

The Mobius battery will last about 80-90 minutes. Of course in the mango, I have USB power outlets meaning I charge and record for as long as the memory card will allow. 8)

I run a 32 Gb card which is the stated max although many guys on the RC-groups forum use 64Gb cards successfully.

If you set the quality to "low" (on a scale of L/M/H) you could probably record all of Syd to Melb (assume you are talking car trip) on a 32 Gb card. What I do though is set it to "loop recording". Then it saves files in 5 min blocks and just loops around deleting the oldest file. If something interesting happens on a ride, you can hit a button and that 5 min block gets set to "don't overwrite". Alternately you could swap memory cards when you pull over for fuel etc.
Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon May 05, 2014 12:51 pm

Andy wrote:What are Sinner like for postage?

Sinner charged me 26 euros for postage but that was for a box that included a new hub and a spare mid drive cog as well. They posted the next business day.

Ex VAT, the light cost me 90 euro, but be aware, this is the "Light only" price and did not include the battery or charger which I already had.
Rhubarb

Postby Jangari » Wed May 07, 2014 11:07 am

grantw wrote:I got out today with the Replay 1080 Mini, this time I used a silicon o-ring to attach the camera to my helmet.

Imageimage by _granty, on Flickr

Have you got a couple more images of this o-ring setup? I just received my XD1080 mini in the post and I don't think the curved mount will fit my helmet, so I'm trying to think up some other solutions.
Jangari

Postby grantw » Wed May 07, 2014 11:24 am

No, unfortunately I only took the one shot - it's basically just a silicon O-ring from garmin looped through one of the vents in the helmet, pretty simple.

As of yesterday I've stuck the domed mount onto the top of my helmet with the adjustable mount. The 3M glue has formed a very strong bond with the helmet even though it isn't contacting 100%. It's not as neat, the camera is more easily adjustable.
grantw

Postby grantw » Thu May 08, 2014 10:27 am

I just picked up one of those $48 3SIXT cameras from BigW. It's a very good example of getting what you pay for! The packaging and build quality - especially of the accessories is quite low. The supplied handlbar mount for example is is quite heavy and fiddly to adjust. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the other cameras.
grantw

Postby jaseyjase » Thu May 08, 2014 6:30 pm

grantw wrote:I just picked up one of those $48 3SIXT cameras from BigW. It's a very good example of getting what you pay for! The packaging and build quality - especially of the accessories is quite low. The supplied handlbar mount for example is is quite heavy and fiddly to adjust. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the other cameras.

curious to see the output!
jaseyjase

Postby grantw » Thu May 08, 2014 8:51 pm

Not a good start, the camera didn't startup properly so I had to exchange it :-0
grantw

Postby trailgumby » Thu May 08, 2014 9:19 pm

@rhubarb, that recumbent of yours flies! And the light and camera aren't bad either.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby Jangari » Fri May 09, 2014 10:49 am

grantw wrote:No, unfortunately I only took the one shot - it's basically just a silicon O-ring from garmin looped through one of the vents in the helmet, pretty simple.

Had a day at home yesterday, so I knocked this up with some old inner tube for insulation and support and a couple of zip ties. Seems to work okay. It's certainly secure but doesn't allow much movement. Also destroys the zip ties if I want to remove it. Might try the domed mount on the top of the helmet but I'm worried there won't be enough contact area. Might stick a zip tie over the top for insurance.

Sorry for the poor image quality.

What do you think if the microphone on these? I find it very susceptible to wind noise, as to be expected, but the supplied wind breaker stickers cause a much degraded signal, in my opinion. I might investigate a piece of foam of some description instead of the sticker.

I suppose these things aren't bought for their audio performance.
Jangari

Postby grantw » Sat May 10, 2014 12:50 pm

The domed mount is pretty sticky, no sign of it loosening as yet.
grantw

Postby reefer » Tue May 13, 2014 4:41 pm

Just ordered a Fly6. $164 delivered.

Slight delay in delivery but I am happy nonetheless, here is part of the delivery email:

Shipping Details/Delivery Update
Given the size of the orders on hand, we have had to get them ready in two batches. Our first batch is currently having the Nano Technology applied prior to packaging & sending to the fulfilment centre.
The first batch will be shipped from our fulfilment centre with an estimated 'doorstep arrival' timeframe of the third week in June and the second batch should be arriving in the last week of June.
We had planned to get them finished earlier however we had the opportunity to address the 'halo effect' that our triallists were discussing with us and we took it. This means that while it has added around two weeks to our (internal) program, your Fly6 will not have the dramatic 'halo effect' that the trial units do.
reefer

Postby archetuthus » Wed May 14, 2014 5:24 pm

has anyone seen or used one of these? http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/dual-camera-car-dvr-gps/

Car Dual Camera Dash Video Recorder with GPS. Would love to see some sample footage

/edit. just found some and some reviews. dont bother. :(
archetuthus

Postby Fly6 » Thu May 15, 2014 9:42 am

HI folks - Andrew, CEO of Fly Lites (creators of Fly6) here....lots of interesting solutions for getting footage while you are riding. I see some of you have ordered a Fly6 and some of you already have the trial/prototypes. For the others, I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have relating to Fly6. I've noted a number of comments relating to how it 'fits' or 'will it fit on my bike' - we now have over 9 reviews published (with more to come) that are a great way to see (via photos and sometimes video) how Fly6 sits on various bikes - http://fly6.com/reviews/ .

To answer what I see as a common question in this thread - we are designing a front solution (Fly12) using the same principles as we did with Fly6. It is very early days so any estimated release date would be wrong so we will lets subscribers to our website & social media channels know as soon as we have a firm timeframe.
Fly6

Postby jasonc » Thu May 15, 2014 9:57 am

Fly6 wrote:we are designing a front solution (Fly12) using the same principles as we did with Fly6. It is very early days so any estimated release date would be wrong so we will lets subscribers to our website & social media channels know as soon as we have a firm timeframe.

Hi Andrew
I am patiently waiting for my Fly6. What can you tell us about the Fly12?
I guess from my point of view, I already run a decent front light, so if it was just a (USB-rechargable) blinky with a camera, that would work for me better than another big-ass light
jasonc

Postby herzog » Thu May 15, 2014 10:00 am

What's an "ass light"?
herzog

Postby clackers » Thu May 15, 2014 10:27 am

herzog wrote:What's an "ass light"?

They're very popular, Herzog, except that Mark Cavendish doesn't need one ... the sun already shines from there!
clackers

Postby Fly6 » Fri May 16, 2014 9:44 am

jasonc wrote:
Fly6 wrote:we are designing a front solution (Fly12) using the same principles as we did with Fly6. It is very early days so any estimated release date would be wrong so we will lets subscribers to our website & social media channels know as soon as we have a firm timeframe.

Hi Andrew
I am patiently waiting for my Fly6. What can you tell us about the Fly12?
I guess from my point of view, I already run a decent front light, so if it was just a (USB-rechargable) blinky with a camera, that would work for me better than another big-ass light

Hi Jason - we are very early (I mean a couple of months into a 12-18 month process) in the design stage for Fly12 that there is little to 'give away' except to say that it is looking very cool and the features we are going to include will, let's say, "meet the market". As mentioned it will include the same key features that Fly6 has (battery life that meets the needs of most cyclists, incident protection, set & forget, USB rechargeable, great camera & light, weather proof, etc). I can say that we have enlisted the help of some high profile cyclists to help us in the design phase which is exciting for us and important for the outcome. If we get Fly12 right - it should be something that looks right on your bike!
Fly6

Postby jasonc » Fri May 16, 2014 9:55 am

clackers wrote:
herzog wrote:What's an "ass light"?

They're very popular, Herzog, except that Mark Cavendish doesn't need one ... the sun already shines from there!

this is a big-ass light:

i'd be hoping for something around this size:

jasonc

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 21, 2014 2:00 pm

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby find_bruce » Wed May 21, 2014 3:00 pm

With Autumn upon us my commute home is now in darkness. Curiously my humble 808 #16 camera does a decent job of recording at night, but my GoPro HD Hero does not. Unless there is very good street lighting, the image is almost entirely black.

Any suggestions on GoPro settings to best capture night images ?
find_bruce

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion