Video Camera who uses one?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Oxford » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:08 pm

Fly12 is in design from what I understand and I will most definitely buy one. As for close calls in sub par light, keep your phone handy with voice recording option ready and recite the plate and car details. Or get a helmet cam that has audio recording.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

by BNA » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:26 pm

BNA

Postby reefer » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:26 pm

Unfortunately, it was 3pm, full sunlight (I am in Hi Vis workwear on the way home) and at 38km/hr, locked up, looking at the number plate wasn't my first thought.

Doubt anything would come of it anyway without actual footage. Remember, the truck driver that killed Sue Bell only got 14 months or so.

I always have problems at this roundabout as the traffic to my left are entering the roundabout usually at 60ish and making a right turn.

I stay vigilant and will wait for the Fly12, I like the set and forget nature, ie treating it just like a light.
reefer

Postby Oxford » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:29 pm

reefer wrote:...

I stay vigilant and will wait for the Fly12, I like the set and forget nature, ie treating it just like a light.

Tep that's the attraction of it for me as well, I always rode with lights on so to have a light and a camera built in, you cannot ask for better combo. If you want extra additional lighting, so be it, but the Fly guys are on a winner IMO.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:30 pm

blooky KOM chasers
jasonc

Postby ajmit3 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:39 pm

Just curious... is there an equivalent of a fly6 as a front camera - in that $180 price point ? The shimano camera looks the goods but its like $330....
ajmit3

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:44 pm

ajmit3 wrote:Just curious... is there an equivalent of a fly6 as a front camera - in that $180 price point ? The shimano camera looks the goods but its like $330....

look at the first post on this page. fly12 in development
jasonc

Postby Summernight » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:45 pm

ajmit3 wrote:Just curious... is there an equivalent of a fly6 as a front camera - in that $180 price point ? The shimano camera looks the goods but its like $330....

Before the Fly12 comes out, the Mobius is quite good (video wise) for what it is, but not sure if there are suitable ready-to-use mounts for it and you also have to make/buy a waterproof casing. With an external battery pack I only need to charge my helmet mounted Jumbo #16 (the Mobius' predecessor) once a week and I get a similar battery time to the fly 6 (my commute is 20 mins each way).
Summernight

Postby outnabike » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:06 pm

Just for interest here is a comparison between the Sony and the Modius as to size. The Sony can be used unprotected out of it's case, but then other fixing systems have to be employed.
Both pics are similar to real life scale. Yet to test the Mobius.

outnabike

Postby Oxford » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:12 pm

Contour Roam2, waterproof as is, can use go pro mounts, plus its own. 3.5 hour life etc etc. Also doesn't look dorky mounted on a moto helmet.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby outnabike » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:55 pm

Oxford wrote:Contour Roam2, waterproof as is, can use go pro mounts, plus its own. 3.5 hour life etc etc. Also doesn't look dorky mounted on a moto helmet.

Yep water proof is good but the size is not smaller.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Contour-ROAM ... 4897.l4275
Dimensions
Depth 3.94 in. = 100 mm
Height 1.34 in. = 34 mm
Width 2.17 in. = 55.1
And around $ 200-00 delivered
The Mobius is $110 with cables and is good for a car dash use as well,as It also recycles over the card, then runs indefinitely. A poor mans cam but dorkineness factor not a lot different to the Mobius. In fact if the dims are correct the ROAM it is a bit larger. :)
And its double the cost of the Mobius as well. No doubt the water proofing battery life of the Roam is great. Any way who said I wasn't a dork? :)
outnabike

Postby Oxford » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:13 pm

Dimensions are not really a concern when I consider the other features. Does the lens rotate through 270* for those installations where its not quite level, sideways or even upside down? Laser alignment so you know its pointing in the right direction (and the picture is level)? With a 32Gb card not too worried about looping, I can push the format button in the back if I really feel the need to clear the card, though 32Gb holds a lot of video. I like to be able to just pick up the camera, mount it (slides on), slide a big button forward and I know its on, slide it back, its off. Horses for courses, each to their own. No muss, no fuss and no cases.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby outnabike » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:00 pm

Oxford wrote:Dimensions are not really a concern when I consider the other features. Does the lens rotate through 270* for those installations where its not quite level, sideways or even upside down? Laser alignment so you know its pointing in the right direction (and the picture is level)? With a 32Gb card not too worried about looping, I can push the format button in the back if I really feel the need to clear the card, though 32Gb holds a lot of video. I like to be able to just pick up the camera, mount it (slides on), slide a big button forward and I know its on, slide it back, its off. Horses for courses, each to their own. No muss, no fuss and no cases.

Yep no doubt you get what you pay for and the cheaper you go the more concessions. Any way it seemed like a good idea at the time.... :) It has more flashing lights than a carnival.

Well I gave it a run for its money and the video is beautiful......But it as a jittery a film as you can get with no stability control at all. After the Sony I may have been spoiled and have too a high an expectation.
I wouldn't recommend it as a rear camera as it will be un-watchable fixed to some thing solid. It just passes as a helmet cam though. And will need correction through a video program to remove some shake to get it perfect.

Techmoans video was a lot better than mine is coming out, that's for sure. I will give it a run in the car as a dash cam and it may be more stable.

I will make a video of me eating my pie..... :)
outnabike

Postby Aushiker » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:00 pm

Ricoh is entering the choppy waters of the action camera market, which is currently dominated by GoPro. The company isn't truly a newcomer into the rugged market, as it has been making rugged cameras for many years. The WG-M1 is a 14MP camera that can dive up to 10m underwater, be dropped from 2m, and function at temperatures as low as -10C - all without a housing. The WG-M1 sports a 14MP CMOS sensor, super-wide lens with a 160° field-of-view, 1.5" LCD, 1080/30p as well as high speed video, and Wi-Fi.

Naturally, mounts for nearly every purpose will be available. They include trigger grips, wrist straps, peg mounts, helmet straps, and handlebar mounts.

The WG-M1 will be available next month in your choice of black or orange at an MSRP of $299.95 / £199.99.

A bit more detail at DPReview.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby chucknitro » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:27 am

Aushiker wrote:Image

Andrew

I'd need a new bike to match the camera :D
2013 Scott CR1 Premium - Ultegra Di2 compact.
chucknitro

Postby ajmit3 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:39 pm

Summernight wrote:

Before the Fly12 comes out, the Mobius is quite good (video wise) for what it is, but not sure if there are suitable ready-to-use mounts for it and you also have to make/buy a waterproof casing. With an external battery pack I only need to charge my helmet mounted Jumbo #16 (the Mobius' predecessor) once a week and I get a similar battery time to the fly 6 (my commute is 20 mins each way).

Thanks Summernight... I think I will wait for the updated Fly6 and then just get the 1st gen Fly12. I am actually scared on the roads a few times a year.... Need something to document it. Now if only the police would take me seriously,.. :roll:
ajmit3

Postby outnabike » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:16 pm

I typed that Richo into google and found a video sample. It was very bad as far as I can see I don't know what they did with all those 14 megapixles.
My mobius beats it hands down as far as a picture goes.
outnabike

Previous

Return to General discussion