Video Camera who uses one?

familyguy

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby familyguy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:08 pm

Mububban wrote:The makers of Fly6 and Fly12 are doing another Kickstarter for a dual mount arm that takes your Garmin and your Fly12/GoPro etc on one slim handlebar space:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fl ... bike-mount

I got a plastic ebay model for my 800/Sony AS15 combo. Haven't tested it for wobbles, but it feels quite sturdy. I'm sure the aluminium ones are steadier, but I'll see how it goes. Seems to be a LONG way forward of the stem, it could be 20mm shorter and neither the Garmin nor the Sony would foul cables/bars/etc.

Jim

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:13 pm

For those on rougher roads, just tested the Sony Actioncam with optical stablisation.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:24 pm

That's pretty good alright ItsDank.
I have the very early HDR as10, and it is as good as your video, even though over 3 years old. Excellent video.

The only thing is the battery time is not good at 1080P.
A lot more time on 760 I think it is but then the anti shake is not available. Still with a couple of spare batteries it is ok.

The only thing I do not like is the need to remove the cam from the case. A pity they have no mount on the cam itself. :)

What format did you use to install onto utube? avi h264 or another, It looks pretty sharp.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

defy1

Postby defy1 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:21 pm

Cycliq wrote:
defy1 wrote:
trailgumby wrote:My second-generation Fly6 camera died on the journey to work this morning. Battery won't charge and unit won't turn on.

Fortunately I had a daylight ride home. A ticket has been raised.

same just yesterday..mine was 1.5 years old. Raised ticket to support and tried various things but no luck. Obviously battery has gone faulty. As mine was out of 1 year warranty they won't replace it.
I read the knowledgebase and many people reported the same problem.
I will not be purchasing any Cycliq products in future as they obviously not reliable or made to last.

Hi Defy1 - that's not the outcome we want for our customers. Can you send me an email at info@cycliq.com with your support ticket number so I can assess the query in our system. We certainly stand by our products and want to make sure all of our customers are happy with their purchases.

Regards
Andrew Hagen, Cycliq, CEO

email sent thanks

kaboose

Postby kaboose » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:41 pm

I've just bought a hero session, works well and the price was good so no complaints so far.

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:20 pm

outnabike wrote:That's pretty good alright ItsDank.
I have the very early HDR as10, and it is as good as your video, even though over 3 years old. Excellent video.

The only thing is the battery time is not good at 1080P.
A lot more time on 760 I think it is but then the anti shake is not available. Still with a couple of spare batteries it is ok.

The only thing I do not like is the need to remove the cam from the case. A pity they have no mount on the cam itself. :)

What format did you use to install onto utube? avi h264 or another, It looks pretty sharp.

So when I render out, I just do so at the same bitrate. This was filmed at 4K UHD XAVC-S 100mbit/sec and I rendered it out at the same spec. You do lose a chunk of quality with YouTube's VP9 codec but overall it still comes out nice and sharp :)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:26 pm

It's OK so far as I'm aware to stick things or cable tie things on to the helmet, so long as they are removable, as you're not affecting the structure from the unit that was approved.

However, inserting a battery into the helmet would definitely invalidate the helmet by altering the structure.

fingy

Postby fingy » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:25 pm

cj7hawk wrote:I don't know if anyone else uses the Mobius

I did for about 3 years until it died recently so i replaced it with the Mobius Mini

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:47 am

Where do you get these, fingy? Any good?

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:54 pm

Nate wrote:
cj7hawk wrote:Though I might integrate a LiPo into the helmet along with some controllers. I'm still trying to work out whether a helmet mount or a cycle mount panoramic would be best -
David

It goes back a long way - but i *think* i read something about "protrusions" from helmets, if its >5mm then it will mean the helmet doesnt comply with Aus standards...
I'd be going bicycle mount 100%

I don't recall the specifics, and I don't think it's quite like that - often something like "Protrusions over 5mm in height must break-away in the event of an impact" and "No protrusions on the inside surface of the shell". Usually no modifications to the helmet are allowed either.

I do actually design controlled military technology, including helmet mounts, for specific application, and I'm kind of fussy about how my helmet works.

The original design was designed to break away, but had a small bolt which reinforced it and it took a really solid knock to break it. While it complied with most helmet requirements, I wasn't happy, so I redesigned it to make it even more flush and even more break-away. A hard knock directly to the camera will take it straight off now, since the bolt is designed to fail. A failable safety tether can also be applied for peace of mind. The fixing bolt and threads are all plastic and there's no metal in the mount. It's flush inside the helmet, using the edge of the existing helmet hole, and variations to the surface are completely flat, and made of materials that are softer than the skull. Additionally, it results in less change to the helmet surface than the strap rivets.

This mount is just two 3D prints, so I'll upload a link to the printable files. If you have a printer, it should only costs a few cents to print. The mount has two parts - one that fits into the camera tray, the other that fits from the other side. A hex key is all that is needed to assemble. You could probably wedge a screwdriver in there too, as torque isn't that important.

Anyway, it's always possible I've missed something so if you have a copy of the relevant section of the standard, please do post it here -

Thanks
David

Update: Just checked AS/NZS 2063:2008 and it says the following;
5.1.2 Attachment of components
None of the components, or any accessories, shall be fitted to the helmet in such a way that they are likely to cause injury to the wearer in the event of an impact.

So there is recognition of accessories, and any accessories not fitted to the helmet by the manufacturer don't seem to require certification, so it looks like it's personal responsibility on this matter.

There was also a very good article here:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/02/ ... saf_318000

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:42 pm

cj7hawk wrote:
Nate wrote:
cj7hawk wrote:Though I might integrate a LiPo into the helmet along with some controllers. I'm still trying to work out whether a helmet mount or a cycle mount panoramic would be best -
David

It goes back a long way - but i *think* i read something about "protrusions" from helmets, if its >5mm then it will mean the helmet doesnt comply with Aus standards...
I'd be going bicycle mount 100%

I don't recall the specifics, and I don't think it's quite like that - often something like "Protrusions over 5mm in height must break-away in the event of an impact" and "No protrusions on the inside surface of the shell". Usually no modifications to the helmet are allowed either.

I do actually design controlled military technology, including helmet mounts, for specific application, and I'm kind of fussy about how my helmet works.

The original design was designed to break away, but had a small bolt which reinforced it and it took a really solid knock to break it. While it complied with most helmet requirements, I wasn't happy, so I redesigned it to make it even more flush and even more break-away. A hard knock directly to the camera will take it straight off now, since the bolt is designed to fail. A failable safety tether can also be applied for peace of mind. The fixing bolt and threads are all plastic and there's no metal in the mount. It's flush inside the helmet, using the edge of the existing helmet hole, and variations to the surface are completely flat, and made of materials that are softer than the skull. Additionally, it results in less change to the helmet surface than the strap rivets.

This mount is just two 3D prints, so I'll upload a link to the printable files. If you have a printer, it should only costs a few cents to print. The mount has two parts - one that fits into the camera tray, the other that fits from the other side. A hex key is all that is needed to assemble. You could probably wedge a screwdriver in there too, as torque isn't that important.

Anyway, it's always possible I've missed something so if you have a copy of the relevant section of the standard, please do post it here -

Thanks
David

Update: Just checked AS/NZS 2063:2008 and it says the following;
5.1.2 Attachment of components
None of the components, or any accessories, shall be fitted to the helmet in such a way that they are likely to cause injury to the wearer in the event of an impact.

So there is recognition of accessories, and any accessories not fitted to the helmet by the manufacturer don't seem to require certification, so it looks like it's personal responsibility on this matter.

There was also a very good article here:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/02/ ... saf_318000

Update 2:

OK, located the section.
5.3 Projections
5.3.1 General
Refer to Figure 1 for illustrations of types of projections and methods of measurement.
5.3.2 External projections
Rigid projections and irregularities on the continuous curve of the outer surface of the
helmet, except for ventilation holes and associated depressions, shall not be greater than
5 mm in height when measured normal to the general outer surface of the helmet as shown
in Figure 1.
A fairing becomes a projection when the included angle is greater than 45° as shown in
Figure 1. The angle of the projection only applies to flat surfaces that have been faired to
the surface of the shell.
NOTE: Irregularities in the shell should be smoothed to minimize resistance to tangential impact
forces brought about by the friction or snagging.
5.3.3 Internal projections
The helmet should have no internal projections or irregularities likely to cause injury to the
wearer in case of an accident.

So technically, being a breakaway component, and still complying with 5.3.3, it should be OK. I'm in two minds about the fairing requirement. Making a fairing and mounting it more permanently wouldn't be difficult, but I'm not so sure it's a good idea as the current design will just break away more easily than a fairing would... Still, I might make one up and see how it goes. A permanent fairing would allow multiple cameras to be set up and the camera slots could allow air through.

Update 3. More information -

OK, this went to court in 2015 in Victoria, where Lichtenbaum was accused of voiding the standard of his helmet, and lost. However, just this year, he appealed and won.

First Appearance: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/09/putti ... a-and-nsw/
Second Appearance: http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/02/go ... -in-court/

OK, the arguments were:
a) That Vicroads did not make the standard available, hence the law doesn't have to be followed and
b) That the law only applies at the point of manufacture ( as I mentioned above ).

B) was likely correct, but amazingly, A) was taken first, so B) never got tested.

Here's what the outcome means. You don't have to comply with any helmet standard whatsoever unless the government publishes the standard !

WOW ! That has some serious implications... Especially around EN15194.

David

fingy

Postby fingy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:26 am

Howzat wrote:Where do you get these, fingy? Any good?

Yeah they are good I paid $90 here for the camera and $20 for the battery at Officeworks.
It will record 1920x1440@30, 1920x1080@60/30, 720p@120/60 frames/sec only runs for 30min without external battery
and is not waterproof but. More info can be found here.

jillybean

Postby jillybean » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:19 am

I'm done with fly6. 2nd gen one (which replaced a first gen kickstarter one) now impossible to charge as the charging port has disappeared inside the body. Reported, but out of warranty. Offered a $50 discount on a new one, but I can't justify the cost (again) for something that lasts less than 2 years. Separate rear light + mobius with backup battery will be back on the bike tomorrow.
1987 Colnago Master Piu | 1994 Trek OCLV Carbon |2013 Colnago CLX 3.0 Di2

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:23 pm

jillybean wrote:I'm done with fly6. 2nd gen one (which replaced a first gen kickstarter one) now impossible to charge as the charging port has disappeared inside the body. Reported, but out of warranty. Offered a $50 discount on a new one, but I can't justify the cost (again) for something that lasts less than 2 years. Separate rear light + Mobius with backup battery will be back on the bike tomorrow.

Hi Jelly bean,
I know what you mean, and I just today put a new Mobius battery into my 3 year old Mobius.This battery is supposed to give me 2 or 3 hours. We will see, as all the sales mobs give out varying elastic figures for these things. Then when you run them at 1080 it bites you in the proverbial.
From memory I paid $96-00 with the battery when I bought it.

I can't knock the Fly rear cam as I have not owned one and I would be masking the red light bits and mounting one on the front as well. But you will not find the misery in faults with the Mobius as with the fly. But the Mobius needs a bit of care to get going with the soft wear as well.

I suppose its horses for courses and to me three years of service out of a $90-00 camera speaks for itself. And yes that included the 32 card.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:26 pm

Mububban wrote:The makers of Fly6 and Fly12 are doing another Kickstarter for a dual mount arm that takes your Garmin and your Fly12/GoPro etc on one slim handlebar space:

Received a prototype today and without having ridden with it yet, I'm impressed. Primarily as I'm not in the Garmin Camp when it comes to GPS/computers so the market for a good stiff GPS/camera out front mount is somewhat limited for my GPS (Magellan Cyclo 505). This Duo Mount's adapter plate for the Magellan gives a good secure click in and out, and the mount 'feels' very stiff. I'll be evaluating it over the next few weeks and testing it side by side with my BarFly Sli GPS/camera combo mount to compare footage.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:49 pm

Hey guys, many of you know that I obviously use cameras on my bikes, but cycling doesn't pay the bills it just generates more expenses. So I need to work for a living, I do this by driving a Mack Truck Tipper and Dog trailer combo (please don't shoot me). I'm happy to say that cyclists are on my radar and that you have nothing to worry about if I come up behind you.

I use a camera on the truck too, for much the same reasons as we use them on our bikes, well at least for the evidence collection part of it anyway.

This morning I had a cyclist do a particularly silly thing so I thought I'd highlight it. This cyclist made her way up the left side of my vehicle while I was indicating to turn left at a roundabout. I knew she was at the back of the vehicle as I was waiting my turn, when I was able to enter the roundabout, besides seeing and reacting to a car shooting through the intersection, I scanned the FOUR mirrors on my left side and she was gone! Only a second before she was still clipped in and at my back wheels, guessing that she was now in my blind spot beside my front left wheel I hit the picks and then the horn. As you can see in the video, she just rode around the corner, only looking to see if there was something crossing my path.

For the record, I confirmed that all 10 indicator lights on the left of the combination were all fully functional.

Rounding the corner my rear wheels cleared the kerb by only a couple of inches...

Posted this to the QLD page as well, hoping that someone knows her and can point out not only the danger of such action, but how this reflects on all of us (cyclists), particularly to all of us (truckies), who as a whole don't have much respect for us (cyclists). Gee I'm confused :?

EDIT: This was at the intersection of Hellawell and Jackson Roads at Sunnybank HIlls in Brisbane.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:53 pm

Good post Pete and shows the dangers with being seen by truck drivers. That lady might never know the danger she put herself into.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:29 am

Yep, never ever go up the left side of a truck. The blind spot is huge.

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:14 pm

PiratePete wrote:snip

Wow....she goes blind into a roundabout on the inside of your truck turning left. Self preservation isn't super high!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:15 am

Didn't realise that the Cycliq was also compatible with other cycle computer mounts. I will admit I didn't review it in detail and assumed it was Garmin specific.

When mounted well - the footage quality will be superior to anything you get via plastic mounts - but still affected by road noise, road obstacles and psa / tyre pressure.

Curious whether the road noise (sound) is the same as with the Cycliq Fly12 mount and with other mounts - just a minor curiosity.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:30 pm

This has taken me longer to put together than I intended, unfortuneatly my paid work has obstructed my play time...

This is a comparison of the Cycliq DuoMount and the BarFly SLi out front GPS/Camera combo mounts. My interest in these two mounts is that they both designed to fit the majority of GPS devices out there, not just Garmin. The Cycliq unit is supplied with adapter plates to Garmin, Wahoo, Polar, Cateye and as in this video Magellan/Mio. The BarFly Sli is supplied with a Garmin adapter by default, but here fitted with the Magellan insert.

I mounted the two side by side on my Specialized Diverge, both with Fly12 cameras and Magellan Cyclo 505 GPS to give an apples for apples comparison of the video stability as well as the audio transmission of noises through the bike frame.

I’ve basically taken 30 second grabs of footage and played them in turn. To fully digest the differences you may need to re-watch bits of the footage, I have basically chosen footage based on either sound or difficult ground surfaces (from a stable video perspective). Footage shown was captured from my ride last Saturday which had less than ideal weather, including one storm which dumped 100mm of rain in less than an hour. Good thing I was using Fly12 cameras and not some of the other choices popular here...

My verdict:

Well I’ve had the BarFly SLi on the bike for a long time, as a GPS mount it’s great, from a video camera mount, It’s OK for evidence based use, but I wouldn’t be uploading too much footage from it. The Cycliq mount from what I can see uses an almost identical adapter plate set up for the GPS, however the mount being alloy puts it in the same ball park as the K-Edge type mounts, definitely a lot stiffer than the BarFly. The GPS was secure, the Fly12 enjoys a metal on metal mounting which appears unlikely to suffer a failure.

The BarFly is quieter, that is, it transmits less of the bikes noises through to the Fly12’s microphone via the frame, watching this clip the difference is a bit like having an ear full of water. Entirely possible on that ride last Saturday, however the other footage I’ve collected in dry weather is exactly the same. Personally I like to hear the machine, I like to know when I’ve changed gear, free wheeled, or applied the brakes. All of which you can hear with the Duo Mount, but each to there own…
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

hooman

Postby hooman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:45 pm

I've got the K-edge mount that allows my Garmin Edge 1000 on top and my Fly12 underneath. I've had it over a year now. Frankly, this DuoMount looks very similar.
It isn't anything new. Just saying...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:20 pm

PiratePete wrote:Snipped

Without a doubt there mate you saved a life. This should be shared with SCA and Cycle.

There is a reason why long and/or articulated vehicles have a "Do not overtake turning vehicles" sign on their rear.

My dad used to drive semis for a living before an industrial accident put a stop to that. This was before "do not overtake" signs were mandated in NSW. He had a number of incidents where drivers would come up inside him and then get crushed as the rear wheels track in a tighter arc through the corner. Each time he was cleared of any fault.

It's just such a dumb thing to do. There's a reason long vehicles go wide entering corners: the rear wheels track in a much smaller arc, and unless they start wide the trailer will go up over the footpath.

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:58 pm

hooman wrote:I've got the K-edge mount that allows my Garmin Edge 1000 on top and my Fly12 underneath. I've had it over a year now. Frankly, this DuoMount looks very similar.
It isn't anything new. Just saying...

Maybe for those who use Garmin, but not all of us are in that mould. These two mounts suit several brands of GPS devices. One thing that helps to lock people into a brand is the cost of changing to another, the DuoMount in particular will ship with adapter plates for all the main players. Change GPS, keep the same mount.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:56 pm

familyguy wrote:

I got a plastic ebay model for my 800/Sony AS15 combo. Haven't tested it for wobbles, but it feels quite sturdy. I'm sure the aluminium ones are steadier, but I'll see how it goes. Seems to be a LONG way forward of the stem, it could be 20mm shorter and neither the Garmin nor the Sony would foul cables/bars/etc.

Jim

Nope, ebay version is terribly flexible under load. With one or the other it's passable, but with both the 800 and the AS15/AS30 that far out, shakes are awful. So much so that you can't read the Garmin and the video is unusable for anything but memories.

Time to stump up for a solid Garmin/camera mount.

Jim

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”