Video Camera who uses one?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Oxford » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:11 pm

Marto wrote:Next, in Virtualdub select open video file (I think) and select the text file you just made: “front and rear rec1.avs” (or whatever you have called it), then Virtualdub does its stuff.
Possible problems:
- The video files have to be the same size (ie:height x width). I got an error message with that.
- The file names in the .avs file have have the correct name and complete directory (I cut and past from explorer to get the right directory location, ie: c:\bike videos\video1.mov)
- I’m guessing Virtualdub has to know that Avisynth is there to associate .avs files with Avisynth. Could the order that you install Virtualdub and Avisynth affect things.
Marto, I had it all up to where I quoted you above. I was trying to find the AVISynth filter option to no avail. You've shed the proverbial light on the matter for me. I had everything but opening the AVS file in VirtualDub (which I had constructed as per Nate's example). I shall try that tonight. Just wondering out loud if the filter rate needs to be the same? I found with appending files in VirtualDub the frame rate had to be exact which is no biggie, just a step to remember to do.

Thanks Marto, much appreciated.Image
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

by BNA » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:07 pm

BNA

Postby Nate » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:07 pm

Oxford...
Start simple...
Install: Quick time, Virtual dub & AVISynth

create an AVS file with this 1 line:
guru wrote:QTInput("d:\Bike_Vids\video.MOV", color=2, audio=true)

Then in Virtualdub - File --> Open & select the .AVS file.

If you can do that you're up & running & just need to change the AVS file contents.
Nate

Postby Oxford » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:20 pm

yep got the basic idiosyncrasies of VirtualDub mostly sorted now, it has certainly changed the way I edit video for the better, much better. now its the fancy little things like split screen. I must admit I just reviewed the tips area and under the AVISynth section it does say open the AVS file, I was only looking at the SplitScreen section of the page last night and gave up figuring I was just tired and missing something.

hoping to get some good action shots shortly of Mt Joyce on our club day and a Front/Rear split screen should be awesome I hope.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Nate » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:30 pm

Oxford wrote:yep got the basic idiosyncrasies of VirtualDub mostly sorted now, it has certainly changed the way I edit video for the better, much better. now its the fancy little things like split screen.

yeah its a sweet little tool & great filters/addons at the best price!
if there's anything you find etc - let me know & i can add it to the guide
Nate

Postby Oxford » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:12 am

Nate wrote:
Oxford wrote:yep got the basic idiosyncrasies of VirtualDub mostly sorted now, it has certainly changed the way I edit video for the better, much better. now its the fancy little things like split screen.

yeah its a sweet little tool & great filters/addons at the best price!
if there's anything you find etc - let me know & i can add it to the guide

Had a good play with AVISynth last night and came up with some scripts you might like to include on the website. First job was to tackle the splitscreen issue as the script you had was very specific, my fame sizes were different so rather than write a specific script I wrote a generic script that works with any frame size, one for Horizontal Splits and Then for Vertical Splits:

<edit>
After some frustration of having frame rates and sample rates different I have rewritten the following AVISynth scripts to be completely generic. You need two input files, "FRONT.avi" and "REAR.avi" (or change the script in the first two lines to suit your names). You need to ensure that they are synchronised at the same start point. The script will then TRIM the clip to the shorter of the two keeping the beginning of the clip and trimming the end off the longer clip accordingly. This means both clips start together and finish together.

I have also added two new scripts at the end of the post which not only perform the STACK, but also append the Slo Mo footage to the normal footage CHANGEing frame rates and TRIMing in the process.

Enjoy. :mrgreen:
</edit>

Code: Select all
SplitScreenHorizonal.AVS

vntFront = DirectShowSource("FRONT.avi")
vntRear = DirectShowSource("REAR.avi")

intFrameRate = FrameRate(vntFront)
intFrameCount = Min(FrameCount(vntFront), FrameCount(vntRear))
vntRear = ChangeFPS(vntRear, vntFront, false)
vntFront = Trim(vntFront, 0, intFrameCount)
vntRear = Trim(vntRear, 0, intFrameCount)

intFrameHorz = Width(vntFront)
intFrameVert = Height(vntFront)

StackHorizontal(vntFront, vntRear) BilinearResize(intFrameHorz*2, intFrameVert)

SplitScreenVertical.AVS

StackVertical(vntFront, vntRear) BilinearResize(intFrameHorz, intFrameVert*2)

It basically just determines the frame sizes and correspondingly makes the Height or Width of the stack Double as required. Obviously users need to substitute the file names in on the first two lines.

Next set of scripts does the same but makes a Slo Mo version of the video, assuming a 30fps rate, it slows to half speed:

SplitScreenHorizontalSloMo.AVS

vntFrontSloMo = AssumeFPS(vntFront, intFrameRate/3, false)
vntRearSloMo =  AssumeFPS(vntRear, intFrameRate/3, false)
vntFrontSloMo = ChangeFPS(vntFrontSloMo, vntFront, false)
vntRearSloMo =  ChangeFPS(vntRearSloMo, vntFront, false)

StackHorizontal(vntFrontSloMo, vntRearSloMo) BilinearResize(intFrameHorz*2, intFrameVert)

SplitScreenVerticalSloMo.AVS

StackVertical(vntFrontSloMo, vntRearSloMo) BilinearResize(intFrameHorz, intFrameVert*2)

The following code combines the above coding (Combo) to append the Slo Mo (1/3 speed) footage to the Normal footage.

SplitScreenHorizontalCombo.AVS

StackHorizontal(vntFront + vntFrontSloMo, vntRear + vntRearSloMo) BilinearResize(intFrameHorz*2, intFrameVert)

SplitScreenVerticalCombo.AVS

StackVertical(vntFront + vntFrontSloMo, vntRear + vntRearSloMo) BilinearResize(intFrameHorz, intFrameVert*2)
Last edited by Oxford on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Nate » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:10 am

FPS alteration! sweet!
Nate

Postby Oxford » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:53 am

Yeah, I'd like to get it to reconvert back to original FPS (which it should be able to do I think), but you can do that in VirtualDub anyway. What the above scripts do for me is simply allow me to construct a set of usable shorts that I can append together then save as a final. Very Cool stuff.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Marto » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:09 pm

That's great Oxford. Really valuable for anyone doing up their videos. I will use your scripts for sure (especially slo-mo!).
Marto

Postby Nate » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:49 pm

Marto wrote: I will use your scripts for sure (especially slo-mo!).

joo doin a gang star rap veedeo?
Nate

Postby Oxford » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:13 pm

I just tried to append the slo mo to the normal and it errored saying different sampling rate which I have determined is the audio part of it. may have to kill off the audio to be able to use the scripts which is a bugger if you want to join them.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Oxford » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:54 pm

Just edited my post above (click here) to solve the Appending problem and decided to rewrite the whole script. Now you just need two input files and it syncs all frame rates to the "FRONT.avi" file. You can create Horizontal or Vertical stacks, Normal or Slo Mo Stacks and as an added benefit have it Append the Slo Mo to the end of the Normal stack footage.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby GraemeL » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:04 am

For the split screen, I just use TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5. It allows for multiple video layers in the timeline.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL

Postby Nate » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:33 am

Oxford wrote:Just edited my post above (click here) to solve the Appending problem and decided to rewrite the whole script.

Nice work Moss
Nate

Postby Oxford » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:51 pm

Got my RigidMount Torch Mounts from Nate today and got them setup already, very simple to use and everything I needed was included. Only made one change, I had some knurled round nuts which I used so I can easily remove and replace the Cameras from the mounts. Also used one of my Basta stay mounts to mount a clamp on the Repco seat stays, much neater and cleaner. The dodgy seat clamp system I was using on the fixie is now gone (mudguard clamp with barend to mount the camera mount), the RigidMount clamps tuck the camera nicely in close and set back so it does not interfere with my legs now. Looks very schmick and neat. Very happy camper. :mrgreen:
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Oxford » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:49 pm

Got some pictures of the setups last night.

Front Bar mount.

With Camera.

Seatpost mounted.

With Camera.

Seatstay mounted using an old Basta Superflash leftover base mount.

I was getting some twist on the seat stay and seat post mounted cameras, so made a rubber washer from a tube to reduce friction between the two pieces, seems to work so far.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Aushiker » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:26 pm

Hi

That looks good Oxford. Well worth considering for a rear camera for sure. The camera you are using do you know what format it outputs in? Just wondering if iMovie will handle it okay.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Nate » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:36 pm

Oxford wrote:I was getting some twist on the seat stay and seat post mounted cameras, so made a rubber washer from a tube to reduce friction between the two pieces, seems to work so far.

You were provided 2 strips of rubber grip mat for that???
Nate

Postby Oxford » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:47 pm

Nate wrote:
Oxford wrote:I was getting some twist on the seat stay and seat post mounted cameras, so made a rubber washer from a tube to reduce friction between the two pieces, seems to work so far.

You were provided 2 strips of rubber grip mat for that???
wasn't sure that would work too well between the camera mount and the seatpost/seatstay clamp. by twist I mean the camera would dip. just one of those things I need to have a play to work out the best solution. the clamps are fine its just a fine tuning thing I think. trust me I'm very happy with it compared to the original setup. I assumed the rubber matting was for the clamp holding on to whatever it was clamping to not to go between the two parts.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby GraemeL » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:59 pm

Thanks for the pics and info.
I have been testing my setup, using hose clamp and L bracket. If I have some rubber under the clamp it seems to allow the camera to wobble a little bit, It's not huge but enough to notice. I have removed all rubber and everything is rock solid. I need to find some very thin strips of rubber to try.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL

Postby Oxford » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:18 pm

Aushiker wrote:Hi

That looks good Oxford. Well worth considering for a rear camera for sure. The camera you are using do you know what format it outputs in? Just wondering if iMovie will handle it okay.

Andrew

Sorry Andrew forgot to answer your post, the format of the Camshots is .AVI, which most editors seem to handle without issue.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Boognoss » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:31 pm

Oxford wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Hi

Andrew

Sorry Andrew forgot to answer your post, the format of the Camshots is .AVI, which most editors seem to handle without issue.

My Otek camera (the red upright looking one) outputs in .MOV format FYI. I didn't buy it with that in mind but as I use iMovie it was a brilliant coincidence ;).
n = 3 for now

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Nate » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:13 pm

Oxford wrote: by twist I mean the camera would dip. just one of those things I need to have a play to work out the best solution.

Center of gravity - find out where it is & clamp there.
You can also use a small rubber washer between the post clamp & the camera clamp - email me if you want a few sent out.
(use an old tube cut up with a hole punched out)
Nate

Postby Oxford » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:58 pm

Nate wrote:
Oxford wrote: by twist I mean the camera would dip. just one of those things I need to have a play to work out the best solution.

Center of gravity - find out where it is & clamp there.
You can also use a small rubber washer between the post clamp & the camera clamp - email me if you want a few sent out.
(use an old tube cut up with a hole punched out)
Yep that's what I'm doing (tube section with hole punched in it to make washer) and the finessing is finding the elusive COG for the camera. all fun and games. have to say in the last fortnight my setup has improved markedly with the hardware and software. no longer do I think ahh crap do I want waste an evening editing this down. now its just find what I want, decide if I want front and rear (I've also written my own custom scripts to do front, rear and helmet) or helmet only, crop down, load the script, save then upload to YouTube.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Nate » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:30 am

Oxford wrote:Yep that's what I'm doing (tube section with hole punched in it to make washer) and the finessing is finding the elusive COG for the camera.

You should be able to tighten the bejeebus out of it too - i've done them up pretty tight & no issues. (if it breaks let me know!)
Dont forget a secondary restraint on the camera if it breaks too!
Nate

Postby hannos » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:14 am

Speaking of cameras, are any of them any good at night? Come winter a lot of my commute will be in darkness and there's probably not much point having a camera if it can't film anything.
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion