Sunglasses - what do you use?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Sunglasses - what do you use?

Postby backslashio » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:57 am

Pretty sure I need some sunglasses designed for cycling, the ones I'm using atm (polarising lens) are great although they're slightly more for fashion than practical use as it has insufficient eye coverage. Was riding into Perth yesterday whilst the sun was setting and it was getting into the corner of my eye that was unprotected making it somewhat difficult to keep my eyes focused as I'm very sensitive to brightness

Then I started thinking I may be better off getting ones with lenses that change tint depending on the amount of light around you which could come in handy for when it suddenly gets dark yet I still want to wear glasses to protect my eyes from dust/bugs

Think I'll most likely get one of these 2:

Shimano S70X-PH $119

Shimano S70R-PH Photochromic $139

I actually quite prefer the white designs for some reason. Does anyone have either of these? Thoughts?
backslashio

by BNA » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:42 am

BNA

Postby laager » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:42 am

Last edited by laager on Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laager

Re:

Postby SmellyTofu » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:11 am

laager wrote:Just get some sunglass style safety glasses from the nearest industrial safety equipment shop. Many are polarised and they keep wind out much better for under $25.

x2

Still using it for not just riding but driving etc. Great value for 1.5 yr's everyday use so far. It's a bit ratty now but does the job for $25.
SmellyTofu

Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Re: Sunglasses - what do you use?

Postby Cinder » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:36 am

Got some cheap JetBlack sunnies from Goldcross, they do the trick, have interchangeable lenses and at $30 when I drop them, sit on them or lose them I wont be too heart broken.
*** insert signature here ***
Cinder

Re: Re:

Postby Oxford » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:29 am

SmellyTofu wrote:
laager wrote:Just get some sunglass style safety glasses from the nearest industrial safety equipment shop. Many are polarised and they keep wind out much better for under $25.

x2

Still using it for not just riding but driving etc. Great value for 1.5 yr's everyday use so far. It's a bit ratty now but does the job for $25.

I use these ones:

http://www.idasafety.com.au/rata.html

they fit very well, the current pair I have are 2 years old and still feel new, I've only replaced them as they took an impact and the lense in the left frame has a mark which is just outside the field of vision. they're only $20 at Mitre 10 in Brisbane City.

every pair of cycling specific glasses I've had have been damaged mostly because they are made too light IMO so strength is sacrificed. safety glasses are made tough and the few extra grams of weight, big deal.
I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.
Oxford

Postby Peacewise » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:03 am

Black ice sunnies at $20 a pop.
Keep flexing, spinning, rolling, coasting, pushing, pulling, drafting, sprinting, time trialling, touring, climbing, descending, hot dogging, crit-ing, racing, weaving, dodging, dropping, tanking, chasing... but most of all - just keep f'ing riding!
Peacewise

Postby Christine Tham » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:03 am

I bought a pair for $10 from my local friendly Asian discount store (Hot Dollar). It's plastic fantastic.

Worked just as well as the expensive pair that I lost recently.
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)
Christine Tham

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:15 am

Cancer foundation sunnies they have many styles and meet AS i.e you won't stuff up your eyes.

MM
Marty Moose

Postby number21 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:37 am

I've got a pair of the cheap cycling sunnies from anaconda. I think they were about $20 and they come in a couple of frame colours all with clear/yellow/tinted interchangable lenses. I've found the yellow to be great for pre sunrise rides then change to the tint once its up. The clear I use on dark commutes home. Although as mentioned earlier, I've notice a bit of the plastic frame chipping a bit from changing the lenses repeatedly but still works fine.

I would love a pair of colour coded oakley radars but could easily spend $300 better elsewhere.
number21

Postby queequeg » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:41 pm

I am looking at Sunglass options at the moment, having just destroyed yet another pair or cheap ones.

My main problem is that with the interchangeable lenses, I am finding that the frames suffer from fatigue and then break. I had two pairs of cheap ($25) glasses of the Route7 brand from Torpedo7. Both suffered a multiple frame break in the exact same spot after a few months of use. To me that says "design flaw". Another "Route7" pair suffered when the nose pads fell off somewhere on my ride, rendering those ones useless. The Lenz branded glasses were just as bad. Frames broke in half.

So, my next pair I leaning towards a photochromaic lens so I don't have to keep swapping the lens every day (mostly in winter when I ride directly into the sun in the morning, but ride home in the pitch dark). The BBB range of glasses look the goods, price comparable to the Shimano ones. I just have to try a few out for fit. I prefer rimless glasses so the Shimano S70R is more my style.

Not sure I want to go the Oakley route, unless I can get a 50% off voucher from a family member who works in the industry :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby Bentnose » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:42 pm

I use the BBB ones that come with interchangeable lenses and a prescription insert, had them for about 5 years not, getting a bit worn out.
Last time I checked, 2014 Distance: 4800km Time: 205hr Rides: 186
Bentnose

Re: Re:

Postby backslashio » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:10 pm

Oxford wrote:
SmellyTofu wrote:

x2

I use these ones:

http://www.idasafety.com.au/rata.html

Thanks guys, might see if they have them at Bunnings, depending on how good they are I may buy 2 (one for sunlight, one for night use) - keep the 2nd pair in my rear jersey pocket. The pricepoint is more tempting too :P
backslashio

Postby Zynster » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:31 pm

For rides I bought a pair of DHB glasses from Wiggle. They come with 3 lens for $50. I've found them to be pretty good. For commuting I wear my Serengettis. They were ridiculously expensive, but by far the best sunnies I've ever owned.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross
Zynster

Postby crazycanuck » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:36 pm

Ok, here's another q..

I currently have a pair of Rudy RX's but am wondering if there are any other sunnies out there that fit my prescription. left eye -6.75 & right eye -3.5. Anyone else w this type of prescription wearing anything other than Rudy Projects???

Just wondering...
crazycanuck

Postby wheels46 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:44 pm

Some very authentic Oakley Radar Path knockoffs from Phuket... Hard to tell the diff to the naked eye. I doubt the lenses are anywhere near as good though. 8)
wheels46

Postby backslashio » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:47 pm

crazycanuck wrote:Ok, here's another q..

I currently have a pair of Rudy RX's but am wondering if there are any other sunnies out there that fit my prescription. left eye -6.75 & right eye -3.5. Anyone else w this type of prescription wearing anything other than Rudy Projects???

Just wondering...

I did, I'm pretty sure they were Ryder sunglasses - from OPSM - they were made for cycling. Got them with my prescription lens installed

This is going back some 15 years ago though :P
backslashio

Postby Phill_B_34 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:12 pm

crazycanuck wrote:Ok, here's another q..

Just wondering...

I have prescription lenses (PL’s) in my Radar Paths. They cut out two ovals from the one standard wrap around lens and 'implant' two oval PL's. The PL’s are a bit thinker that the oakley lens so there is a slight lip on the inside and outside of the finish lens.
This is not noticeable when wearing them, really happy with these sunglasses.

See images below.

Phill B
Phill_B_34

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:37 pm

Cheap as possible quality UV lens sunnies. Aerial I think. Something like this

I don't like to get too emotionally attached to my sunglasses. Easy come, easy go :wink:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby HAKS » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:39 pm

Oakley Jawbones & Radar's for me. Radar's been my choice for cycling due to lack of frame. Jawbones I got for $200, Radar's free but anyway would happily buy both again as they are fantastic both comfort wise & optics.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)
HAKS

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:41 pm

Marty Moose wrote:Cancer foundation sunnies they have many styles and meet AS i.e you won't stuff up your eyes.

Legally all eyewear that is sold in Australia has to meet AS for UV protection - even regular prescription lens glasses. Not sure about trash 'n treasure asian knock-offs, and reading magnifiers don't have UV block-out.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby backslashio » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:51 pm

il padrone wrote:I don't like to get too emotionally attached to my sunglasses.

"My sunglasses! My precious antique sunglasses!"
backslashio

Postby backslashio » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:35 pm

Bought some sunglasses from Bunnings, they didn't have the RATA ones so I went with some that looked similar for $24. Unfortunately thanks to their plastic packaging I couldn't try before I buy. Then when I walked out & tried them on they just instantly slipped off my nose (I have a narrow face). I was in a rush to do something else so I thought I'd give them a test around the block and they were pretty craphouse so I went back for a refund

When the supervisor was asking what I was using it for I accidentally said "cycling", she said they're not made for that but in my defense I said any glasses that can't withhold a little vibration aren't going to be any good for safety anyway (which is true - lawnmowing for one!). She made me put them on & agreed that they were too big for me before giving me my refund. Tbh the Bunnings staff were pretty rude about the whole ordeal (even when I was buying it they didn't greet me or smile or barely said anything) despite it being quiet on a Sunday which has left me in a bad mood :(
backslashio

Postby DavidS » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:51 pm

I just wear my wraparound Raybans. I really like Rayban lenses, they really cut the sunlight. The only problem I have is those few dusty days when it isn't bright so I'm wearing no sunnies.

DS

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
DavidS

Postby philip » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:44 am

I used to use some cheap bolle safety ones but had problems on early mornings when the sun was on the horizon and I couldn't see a thing, also the lenses would become dirty and very hard to clean and half the time I couldn't see much. I wear sunnies even when dark for eye protection, so ended up splashing out and getting some jawbones with transition lenses for ~$170 on ebay, worn then for a week now, extremely happy with them.
philip

Postby Shiny Side Up » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:09 am

Phil_34

I like your Radars. How much did the glasses cost and how stong is your prescription?
Shiny Side Up

Next

Return to General discussion