6666 Club Thread RELOADED

marinmomma

Re: 6666 Club Thread RELOADED

Postby marinmomma » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:00 pm

lovemybike wrote:
Love it! Even after we did our 6666 Lisa! :) :) My two riding friends and I did 111kms with 1100 metres climbing this morning to finish off the riding year. Our ride sounded a bit more enjoyable than yours Lisa (except we did Razorback twice :shock: )

I wanted to end the year with a big ride, everytime my friend and I plan to do this ride it always ends up raining....so no great surprise that it rained during our ride today!
Our ride was fairly flat....I've not seen a profile of Razorback, but it sounds impressive, so well done to you for doing it twice!!

We're planning a easy River Loop ride to kick off the New Year :wink:
Last edited by marinmomma on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lisa

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:10 pm

Cardy George wrote:121km this morning to roll past the 9000km milestone for the year :D

It's been a roller-coaster kind of year, with crashes, written off bikes, cracked frames, new riding buddies and new offspring but above all The Club has driven me to take the long way home every time I've gone out. The result? The most km travelled in a year since I started riding.

Happy New Year 6ker's!

Well done CG. The Club has kept me going on occasions when taking an easier option seemed sensible. Nothing like a bit of peer group pressure to keep one motivated.
My final ride was a newbies slow paced group ride ( The L ride ). Quite a few newbie/slowbies riding in 40C made for a slow and steady ride but very pleasurable keeping them motivated when the easier option seemed more sensible. All made it back to the coffee stop and all enjoyed their day.
Kuota Kharma,Fuji Altamira, Scott Foil, mongrel of an Orbea TT bike and an MTB thingy.

norbs

Postby norbs » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:27 pm

How do I know I have been smashing myself? When I have to make a pitstop....

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:39 pm

Talk about finishing the year off with a bang! Everyone has gone freakin nuts in December :lol:

Congrats to everyone who got their targets, adjusted or not there has been a surge in motivation. Which rubs off on everyone else, one of the best parts about Norbs little gang :wink:

I had a pretty good month as well, I "sat up" after getting to 9009km. The rest since then have just been cruising,shopping and to the beach a few times 8)
Its still a 40 odd km trip to the beach and 30 something to the CBD so the km's still add up. So I ended up with my biggest month 1394km[up from 1277 oct last year] and 9384km for the year[9268 last year]

One thing I am grateful for is finishing the year in good health. Im just glad we finished the year with all the team intact, if not a little more decrepit ....patched up and weary :lol: Glad to make a few new mates in Barry, Rob and Stuart as well, all good company. Thanks for inviting me on your rides gents.

Have a good one, quiet night for me. Plan is to go up the mountain tomorrow, the anniversary of my first and only ride to the summit. It might become the new healthy Baldricks NYD tradition :)

Thanks for another great year of ships n giggles :P

cheers
Daniel

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:10 pm

lovemybike wrote:

:) My two riding friends and I did 111kms with 1100 metres climbing this morning to finish off the riding year. Our ride sounded a bit more enjoyable than yours Lisa (except we did Razorback twice :shock: )

Hey, that's pretty competitive Julie to pull out a 100+ on the last day of the year to beat my name on the leaders board. Just wait till next year!

And Razorback twice? Give me a break. You need to link up with some of those mountain climbers down the coast.

Graham

norbs

Postby norbs » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:27 pm

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:31 pm

celeste boy wrote:
lovemybike wrote:

:) My two riding friends and I did 111kms with 1100 metres climbing this morning to finish off the riding year. Our ride sounded a bit more enjoyable than yours Lisa (except we did Razorback twice :shock: )

Hey, that's pretty competitive Julie to pull out a 100+ on the last day of the year to beat my name on the leaders board. Just wait till next year!

And Razorback twice? Give me a break. You need to link up with some of those mountain climbers down the coast.

Graham

:) It was actually very non-competitive! Once I made the 6666 on Thursday I knew I could enjoy the Saturday 100 ride without the pressure of the green line thing (I sort of wish I could add it onto 2012 kms though!). One of the guys who rides out my way does repeats of Razorback - 15 is his best effort :shock: . I've done it twice in row once before and that was only because I'd left my phone at the top and had to go back :roll: Good luck with the kms this year Graham :)

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:39 am

Just signed up for free Strava.. any members run Premium?

Code: Select all

select all

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:44 am

Mustang wrote:Just signed up for free Strava.. any members run Premium?

Have you joined the ACF club, Brent?

I haven't gone for premium, yet, but will look into it.
Lisa

sblack

Postby sblack » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:40 pm

Hey norbs, nice start to your Rapha wrap up. I'm contemplating getting back to writing some more of mine this arvo, I'm up to the MTB Epic..

To the new stravarians, there are some codes in the comments on the ACF club page that did work for free premium membership, don't know if they are still valid though, the 11 at the end of them all might mean they're only good last year? Still give some of them a try and see how you go. If you haven't joined up to the club yet the thread is here.

norbs

Postby norbs » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:47 pm

sblack wrote:Hey norbs, nice start to your Rapha wrap up. I'm contemplating getting back to writing some more of mine this arvo, I'm up to the MTB Epic..

To the new stravarians, there are some codes in the comments on the ACF club page that did work for free premium membership, don't know if they are still valid though, the 11 at the end of them all might mean they're only good last year? Still give some of them a try and see how you go. If you haven't joined up to the club yet the thread is here.

Thanks Shane.

Part 2 is done.

http://cycling.norbtech.com/2012/01/hap ... up-part-2/

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:47 pm

marinmomma wrote:

Asking for a "passcode"?

select all

sblack

Postby sblack » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:52 pm

Mustang wrote:
marinmomma wrote:

Asking for a "passcode"?

The passcode is stravabna

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:29 pm

Thanks Shane. All Stravaed up now.
Also notice some members have the new km bar, I have forgotten how to refresh?????

select all

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Mustang wrote:Thanks Shane. All Stravaed up now.
Also notice some members have the new km bar, I have forgotten how to refresh?????

You need to log in and go to 'Edit my Profile' a bit over half-way down you'll find the space to put in your goal for 2012 and check to ensure that you uncheck the 'make my goal private' box, otherwise it won't show in your bar at the end of your posts here.

hth
Lisa

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:58 pm

Mustang wrote:Thanks Shane. All Stravaed up now.

I got a stupid email saying I was deleted because I wasn't using it, :roll: but it is still there. It may refresh at 12mn
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

sblack

Postby sblack » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:05 pm

Another day's Rapha Report done:

Day 5: Mugglechops Epic MTB Adventure or Heading Off Road To Get Back On Track:
Today would be a truly epic adventure. Still very much an off road novice I had decided to challenge myself and go along for a ride organised by fellow forumite and stravarian Greg “Mugglechops” Lewis. The ride would be my biggest dirt ride ever and include more dirt than I'd ridden over the last ten years combined. It was bound to be a day of learning for me. I'd turned up with a few minutes to spare for the 7am start and met up with Lewy, along with Russ and Mark who would be doing the ride as well. It was also good to finally meet Todd “norbs” Norbury for the first time. It was Todd that started the 6k club that had been a major part of my cycling life for the past two years as well as introducing me to Strava and the Rapha Festive 500. He was off on a road ride but called by to say hi to us dirt riders before we headed off on our adventure.

We headed off via some cycleway before hitting our first bit of dirt for the day. It was a section of a local single track course known as Cabbage. It was good to be able to follow some experienced locals through the course so all I had to do was follow their lines rather than worry about working out where I was heading or what turns to take.

The rest of the days dirt would be spent on firetrails through state forests and national park. On the downhill sections my confidence (or lack thereof) clearly showed as the experienced riders rolled away from me but overall I felt quite comfortable on the dirt with a few lessons to learn along the way.

The first and an ongoing one is to get comfortable with a little drifting on corners in the loose stuff. Feels a bit daunting at first but once you realise you're still on the bike and rolling along it's pretty cool. The second was learnt on the big climb for the day. Standing on steep dirt climbs doesn't work, it results in an instant loss of traction and forward momentum followed by a slow motion fall to the side as you struggle to unclip in time. The next lesson was that getting going again on said climb can be a difficult task in getting enough momentum up again to start riding. The other lesson in the climbing was finding that delicate balance that keeps enough weight on the rear wheel for traction and enough on the front to keep it on the ground and allowing some steering control. These where things I'd never need to worry about on a road climb, where the combination of strength in the legs, suitable gearing and enough will power determines if you can make the top without stopping or not. On this climb I'd come to a stop four times. Once to get through a gap beside a gate that didn't have enough clearance to pedal through, the second on my attempt to stand, the third when I lost traction on some loose rocks and the fourth to climb over a gate near the top. I'd like to go back again one day and make sure it's only the gates that stop me. I guess the lessons where really things I already knew but knowing it in theory and forgetting road riding habits built up over thousands of kilometres to apply it in practice are entirely different things. The other aspect of that I kept reminding myself through the day was that grabbing a handful of front brake on the dirt isn't going to work as well as on the road. Thankfully keeping that as a mental note avoided any issues that could have caused.

A long day out on the 29er was a hard way to do it but the ride had mostly caught up the kilometres lost over the last couple of days.

Ride: Mugglechops' Epic MTB Adventure

Kilometres: + 136 = 254.6

The first rest stop

The top of the big climb... we started down near the river somewhere

The Apollo at the top

Russ and Lewy reaching the top

Tainjarra Falls

Rest Stop at Falls Creek

norbs

Postby norbs » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:58 pm

Terrific read as usual Shane. One day we will do a big ride together, imagine the post after that! :D

sblack

Postby sblack » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:22 pm

norbs wrote:Terrific read as usual Shane. One day we will do a big ride together, imagine the post after that! :D

Thanks norbs, yes our first big ride should have a nice couple of reports afterwards. Do you have any big rides in your sites for this year? You could always check out the Audax Calendar to see if anything interests you.

My report is done, a bit shorter for the wrap up of the final days...

Day 6: New Shoes, A Few Errands and The Coastal Cycleway:

I had got a new pair of MTB shoes for Christmas. I'd contemplated using them for yesterday's ride but decided against it in case something wasn't quite right with them. So today I set them up before heading out for their maden voyage.

I had a few errands to run so I headed off and made the required stops along my way to a cruise along the lake and coastal cycleways

After finishing the errands the plan was to ride north until Shazz called to meet up and then head back to a cafe for a nice coffee date somewhere around Austinmer. The highlight of the ride was seeing a young child, around 5ish showing great understanding of correct use of shared paths. He had come up behind a few pedestrians and slowed to sit behind them until the path was clear for him to make a clean pass. A ring of his bell and out and around them, pulling straight back in once clear. A great sight to see on a path where so many adults seam to struggle to understand the concept of sharing a path or show courtesy to those 'in their way'. I made it a little past Coledale when I got the call from Shazz.

I hadn't taken into account that Shazz had a few errands of her own after work and ended up making it back to Wollongong, about 20kms further than I'd planned to ride and feeling rather hungry I decided to stop into Maccas and wait for her there.

Ride: New shoes, a few errands and the coastal cycleway

Kilometres: + 81.8 = 336.4

Day 7: Into Wollongong To Meet Shazz:
Today was another day to head out for a ride and meet up with Shazz at the end. She had a couple of things to do in Wollongong and so it was off along a similar path to yesterday but stopping much sooner. I decided to push a little harder and managed to grab my first KOM for a downhill section on Strava. Not much further my nice run came to an end as two days riding through the Port Kembla industrial area saw a change in luck with my first puncture for the challenge. Only number 7 for the year so can't really complain considering the debris on some of the roads I regularly ride.

Ride: Into Wollongong to meet Shazz

Kilometres: + 41.4 = 377.8

Day 8: A Couple of Laps of The Lake:
Today I'd planned to head off with the neighbours for a leisurely morning lap of the lake. Only problem with my plan is I hadn't told them I'd be there and the left a little early. So I wasn't ready to go until I was around 5 minutes later. Thankfully they where only riding at a leisurely pace so I was able to catch them before too long and start enjoying the social cruise. A couple of hours later it was time to head out for a solo ride to finish of the Festive 500. An extended lake loop, combining it with a southern trip on the coastal cycleway was a great way to clock up the kilometres.

Rides: catching up to the neighbours for a lap of the lake
The Festive 500 finale ride

Kilometres: + 132 = 509.8

Day 9: 1000km For The Month, 85000m climbing for the year:
Before the challenge had began I was almost done with my riding goals for the year. The challenge had brought a new goal for me to finish of the year with, or so I thought. The only thing was that I had now ridden further than I'd ever ridden in a month before and the prospect of my first 1000km month was less than 47km away. The neighbours where planning a coffee ride down to Kiama so I decided to join them and in the process clock up the 1000km. It did that comfortably and I was all ready to say I was done for the year, when updating my final figures I realised I was just 10m short of reaching 85000m climbing for the year. That was too close to just let be so I headed out for the shortest ride I can ever remember doing, only 400m but long enough to pass the 85000m climbed for the year. To think at the start of the month my main goal was to reach 80000m. Thanks to Strava and Rapha for the challenge that has pushed me further than I'd originally planned to go.

Rides: Coffee ride to clock up 1000km for the month
85000m climbed for the year

Kilometres: + 54.1 = 563.9

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:17 pm

Great job on the 500km challenge fellas!

The reports and pics show again what a nice bit of the country you both live in. You should send someone the bill for promoting the area, I wanna come ride there!

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:19 pm

Nice report Shane. We will have to do some more mtb rides this year.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:39 am

I have the 2012 bar, with 2011 target?????????
Just retraced my steps & entered my first ride. See if it removes the 2011km & replaces with current???
Dont remember this hassel last year.....then ...I was a year younger :roll:

select all

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Baldy wrote:Great job on the 500km challenge fellas!

The reports and pics show again what a nice bit of the country you both live in. You should send someone the bill for promoting the area, I wanna come ride there!

Ditto

select all

sblack

Postby sblack » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:55 am

Mustang wrote:
Baldy wrote:Great job on the 500km challenge fellas!

Ditto

Thanks guys, I must say I do feel blessed to live in such a good area, with options of heading for easy coastal cruises or up the mountains to the highlands. Plus having some dirt options reasonably close by means there's plenty of variety to keep me interested.

Mugglechops wrote:Nice report Shane. We will have to do some more mtb rides this year.

Yeah, have to get down and see more of your tracks and get some training in for my planned year ahead. I've just been working out my main rides for the year and have a few dirt rides in the plan, starting of with a 70km Audax ride in the ACT in Feb, there's also a 35 and 100 (again in the ACT) to complete the dirt series plus the Three Ring Circus and Highland Fling are both on the list of potential rides for the year. I might look into if it's possible to get the Fling recongnised and on the next Audax Calendar (Audax year is November to October) and get a local dirt series sorted since there are no NSW dirt rides at the moment. Maybe you can help me come up with an interesting 35 and 70km route to complete the series?

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:40 am

So is the old thread??? should we be using the 2012 now???

select all