Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 55
sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:28 am

nimm wrote:http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21 ... 98,00.html

8 seconds sprint, 12 seconds recovery and repeat for 20 minutes. Apparently the people doing this lost 3x more weight than the people doing 40mins at a steady rate instead.

You really need some special device to stick to the short intervals though. Something like a "beep" to sprint and "beep beep" to stop. Anyone know of anything that does this easily?
My VDO computer has this function. I understand that many of the mid-higher range computers also have similar timer functions.

The hard part is to find a place to do this type of interval. It's either track or trainer/roller to be really safe.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:19 am

I had been told of the New Scientist story Graeme mentioned and I believe it was along the lines of the S.H.I.T regime although I was of the belief it was still in early stages of research... Still worth a go a couple of times a week I guess.

Anyhoo, I think you would need a exercise bike or dedicated trainer bike for this, sprinting on a trainer would surely put huge forces thru the skewers and frame. I wouldn't want to risk my "good" bike for this.
The older I get, the better I was...

NotTim

Postby NotTim » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:47 am

nimm wrote:http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21 ... 98,00.html

8 seconds sprint, 12 seconds recovery and repeat for 20 minutes. Apparently the people doing this lost 3x more weight than the people doing 40mins at a steady rate instead.

You really need some special device to stick to the short intervals though. Something like a "beep" to sprint and "beep beep" to stop. Anyone know of anything that does this easily?

I think trying to keep it up might drive you insane though :)
I'm not sure I could manage that on the road, I suppose thats where a set of rollers would come in handy.

I do currently do intervals on my commute, but I tend to refer to them as hills.

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:03 pm

Rollers just scare me. I reckon it would only take a split second to lose control and down you'd go. I know they help to train you to ride smoothly but sprinting and getting real tired wouldn't mix well with rollers for me.

They must be short hills to get up them in 8 seconds, either that or you're really fast :wink: :P
The older I get, the better I was...

NotTim

Postby NotTim » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:46 pm

Blybo wrote: They must be short hills to get up them in 8 seconds, either that or you're really fast :wink: :P
Closer to 8 seconds and I stop and get my breath back,

RideLikeTheWind

Postby RideLikeTheWind » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:07 pm

I have finally gotten under the 100kg mark. I am 99! Yay for me. Just had to blow my horn. I still want to lose another 15 - 20, but on the way.

Joe

sandman

Postby sandman » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:23 pm

IN July 2007 I tipped the scales at 103kg....I started the "Tony Ferguson" diet which took me to 87kg. I then bought the bike and decided to eat a lot more sensibly and I've dropped to 76kg...

I've got so many damm XL shirts, its really time to clean out the cupboard. I actually like going clothes shopping now as I'm not wearing a "tent" anymore :-)

Cheers..Pete

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:15 pm

Way to go Joe and Pete, keep shrinkin' :D

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011